Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardcore bone breaks in MMA matches

Leg kicks=leg breaks

Injuries are part of fighting, and certain practitioners are more likely to hurt themselves in certain ways than others, depending on hte manner of the strike, and how the power is generated.

I've seen four or five separate videos "(tracked 3 down) of legs breaking in half during round kicks to an opponent's leg.

It's really, really, gross, so only look if you wish to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDR4i_4DeC8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxgC6S9oUKE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W5RI3peGLY
    (2 mins. in)

I am curious to know whether any of you have seen this firsthand, whether this is somewhate common, and whether it points out a serious flaw in using the shin for kicks that might be a little too hard for practicality. I'm not really trolling, I swear. But in kung-fu, I don't ever recall hearing anyone discuss a shin kick. Sometimes people do them in sparring, but I've never heard them discussed, by a teacher, as a good kicking surface.

Kicking with the foot: obviously, breaks happen. But I wouldn't call them crippling breaks, for the most part. It depends on where the break occurs. If you were fighting, you still have a chance of surviving the encounter, or hobbling away, etc. But here.....holy crap, that has to hurt......I feel bad for those guys, and as grossed out as their opponents were.

For the sake of discussion: Here we have 3 videos of practitioners making clean, crippling breaks to the shin, where the bone is completely severed, and hte foot is just dangling inside a kind of flesh-sock. We can assume that if something's been caught on national TV at least three times in a ring fight, it has to happen much more on a wider circuit, in training dojos, amateur fights, sparring sessions.

I've also seen that leg kick break someone else's leg.

Is it a flaw in the kick, the way it was used (where on the shin to make contact), or in the practitioner (not enough conditioning of bone density to take that kind of contact)?

Discuss, if this is in any way interesting.

Yes, I saw a break like in vid number 2 during practice, round kick came in and caught a bone shield as in the vid.

Personally I don't work the round kick to any great degree anymore, its powerfull as hell and nasty by those skilled in its use, but for me I feel from a straight street self defense agenda it leaves me more open, than the low line straight kicks I use.

I don't see those breaks as being a flaw, first one came in low and missed the thigh and went shin to knee it seems, second one was a classic defense, third I can't really say, sometimes that's just how the percentages fall.

The break usually happens when the kicker kicks in an "upward" angle making contact with the FLAT of HIS shin bone on the HARD EDGE of the blockers shin bone.
    That is why good MT teachers teach to kick IN or Down, but NEVER UP.

Good point, both the first kicks were coming up in the clips, at least its how they appeared, but again in a stress based situation, as combative sports just showcased, sometimes the perfect principle of technique goes out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jack II View Post
    Good point, both the first kicks were coming up in the clips, at least its how they appeared, but again in a stress based situation, as combative sports just showcased, sometimes the perfect principle of technique goes out the window.
    All to true, hence the RIGHT way has to be drilled and drilled and drilled and on harder bags and while I understand the need for shin guards when sparring, the bad habits they create have to be taken into account.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    The break usually happens when the kicker kicks in an "upward" angle making contact with the FLAT of HIS shin bone on the HARD EDGE of the blockers shin bone.
    Up kicks are taught as "cutting kicks," and down kicks are taught as "chopping kicks." Two different methods.

As far as I can tell my style does not even have the roundhouse kick. I've never seen it in any of the forms (And I have a lot of them documented from all over China, in addition to the few I actually do).

Kicks are front snap, normal ones + the pushing version. Stop Kick/kneebreak also known as the "no Shadow" Kick, We also have the inside, and outside crescent kick and sevral vesions of a side kick as well as the back kick and some kicks that are really trips & sweeps, but *look* like kicks in the forms.
    Last edited by Royal Dragon; 06-11-2007 at 01:43 PM.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I was taught to kick upward, inward and downward. upward generally targets the ribs. downward, the head and lowerbody. Inward can be used for them all. The suitcase kick is also done inward.
    Last edited by SevenStar; 06-11-2007 at 01:29 PM.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Up kicks are taught as "cutting kicks," and down kicks are taught as "chopping kicks." Two different methods.

a cut kick in muay thai is a roundhouse to the supporting leg of an opponent who is kicking at you. You are kicking out their supporting leg, hopefully knocking them down.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Same thing I've heard my Sifu saw dozens of times, for every type of kick. "Don't rise up on the tip toe or you fall on you butt. Don't float the kick or you'll connect where you shouldn't. Either way, you're dead in a real fight."

My Sifu's such an optomist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    a cut kick in muay thai is a roundhouse to the supporting leg of an opponent who is kicking at you. You are kicking out their supporting leg, hopefully knocking them down.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlkUlA96g2Y

We also define a cut kick as a kick to the support leg, not any upward kick.

Its very rare for someone to break their leg using a shin kick. In almost every case, the kicker is doing one or more things wrong, and in other cases has had other injuries to the leg or some sort of medical problem with their bones.

3 videos out of how many? Very rare.

Drill correctly and kick correctly, no problems.

strike!

The suitcase kick is also done inward.
    The suitcase kick...? Are you taking the ****? WTF is that?

So does that go up, or does it depend?

Quote Originally Posted by yenhoi View Post
    ...in other cases has had other injuries to the leg or some sort of medical problem with their bones.
    Good point. I haven't checked (I'm at work and can't watch vids) whether it's one of these, but it probably is: there's one of these vids floating around (maybe the oldest on the net) where the kicking guy who's leg broke had stress fractures in his shin anyway and the quacks said he had a calcium deficiency syndrome.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

The videos show low round kicks being blocked by shins, not cut kicks, not body kicks.

I have never heard any decent MT coach tell you to kick "upward" on a low round to the thigh, I did how ever get slapped in the head by Chai when I did that at a seminar and hear " you wanna break leg boy?".

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    The suitcase kick...? Are you taking the ****? WTF is that?
    I've heard a hook kick called a suitcase kick. Like another name for an axe kick is the lotus kick. Just a name thing...
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it