Thread: Tyson v Paul

Tyson v Paul

MAR. 8, 2024
    With Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul Fight, Netflix Enters Its Stunt Era

By John Herrman, a contributing writer who covers technology at Intelligencer.

Photo-Illustration: Intelligencer; Photos: Getty Images
    In 2022, after its subscriber numbers dipped for the first time in a decade, Netflix started making some changes. In the coming years, it would raise prices, crack down on password-sharing, spend money more carefully, cut shows more mercilessly, and introduce — after years of marketing itself as the pristine alternative to junked-up television — an ad-supported subscription tier.

This was more of a course correction than a forward-looking plan. Regarding the small matter of actually getting more people to watch and subscribe to Netflix, the company has been doing some experimenting. It’s leaned into sports coverage and programming, with documentaries and occasional live events, including its own tennis tournament. It signed a massive $5 billion deal to air Raw, WWE’s flagship live weekly wrestling show. Also, it announced this:

Netflix and Most Valuable Promotions (MVP) today announced their first-ever partnership in a heavyweight boxing mega-event headlined by The Problem Child, Jake “El Gallo” Paul (9-1, 6 KOs) vs. the Baddest Man on the Planet, Mike Tyson (50-6, 44 KOs). Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson will stream live globally, exclusively on Netflix on Saturday, July 20, 2024 from the 80,000-seat capacity AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, home of the NFL’s Dallas Cowboys.
    Mike Tyson is the former heavyweight champion of the world, now 57. Jake Paul is a Viner who became a YouTuber who became a rapper who became a boxer (his brother, Logan, followed a similar path to the WWE). Jake Paul is best understood for our purposes as a sort of social-media-era omni-heel — a savvy marketer whom many millions of internet users would like to see punched powerfully in the head. Despite a run of high-profile fights, Jake Paul’s talents as a boxer are hard to assess — most of his opponents have come from outside of the current professional-boxing ranks. Mike Tyson has been retired (more or less) for nearly 20 years. Paul boxed in the undercard of Tyson’s last fight, an exhibition match in 2020. Tyson appeared briefly in a Netflix documentary about Jake Paul released last year.

In another year, this would be a classic pay-per-view event: a strange, compelling, gruesome spectacle that a certain kind of guy might pay to watch with his friends or at a bar. But it’s 2024, and it’s not clear how this sort of thing is supposed to work now. Showtime doesn’t do boxing anymore. Premier Boxing Champions, one of the sport’s biggest promotions (and a former showtime partner) has signed a deal with Amazon, which will start streaming live fights and PPV events this month. Netflix’s expansion into sports content is a play for advertising dollars, but, again, this is its own animal: a one-off stunt match between a YouTuber who once had to apologize for filming a video of a suicide victim in the Aokigahara Forest in Japan and a professional concussion collector who bit off Evander Holyfield’s ear the same year his opponent was born.

It’s an experiment for Netflix and an interesting possible future for a lucrative category of programming that has been orphaned by technology. Maybe this will be a boon to a subscription business at a time when streamers are reaching a natural plateau. Maybe it will get the attention of advertisers and hasten the streaming ecosystem’s gradual transformation into Cable: This Again. Also, hey, maybe someone will get badly hurt! And I imagine a lot of people will be watching to see if they do.
    So much buzz on this. I went for this article to start discussions...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Greetings,

Five reasons why Tyson might lose this match:

1- He Vapes. He Vapes. He Vapes.

2- Poor leg strength.

3- Poor endurance to go the distance.

4- Visual: impaired ability to react to incoming punches.

5- Speed deficit: at the time of this post, Mike Tyson is not moving that fast.

I took a look at Jake Paul. He is not much. His shortcomings can be quickly minimized. Will time and Divine Providence be kind to Mike Tyson?

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 03-16-2024 at 01:09 PM.

The devil is in the deets

MAR 08, 2024
    “Not A Fight I’m Happy To See”: Controversial Mike Tyson Vs. Jake Paul Boxing Fight Sparks Debate
    Interview With Expert
    Andréa Oldereide and Karina Babenok

Here comes the boom…er. The recent announcement of the upcoming boxing match between Mike Tyson and Jake Paul, set to take place this summer in Texas, USA, has generated intense anticipation and debate amongst fans and experts alike, especially due to the fighters’ difference in age.
    Mike Tyson, the former heavyweight boxing champion, will meet Jake Paul, a YouTuber-turned-prizefighter, in the boxing ring in what is expected to be the “most polarizing spectacle yet of the recent crossover boxing craze.”

Highlights
    Mike Tyson is scheduled to fight Jake Paul in a boxing match on July 20 in Texas, airing on Netflix.
    There has been controversy over whether the match would be a professional fight or an exhibition.
    Experts have predicted Jake Paul might win by decision if it's an official bout, citing the fighters' age difference.

The fight won’t be Jake’s first time meeting Mike, as he initially rose to combat sports fame when he knocked out former NBA player Nate Robinson on the undercard of Mike’s exhibition boxing match with Roy Jones Jr. in 2020.
    Mike will face Jake in the boxing match on July 20 at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, in the main event of a card (a lineup of matches) that will air on Netflix, ESPN reported on Thursday (March 7).
    It will reportedly be the streaming company’s debut into combat sports and its third live sporting event.
    The 27-year-old internet sensation’s Most Valuable Promotions (MVP) secured an agreement with Netflix for a boxing card in November 2023, per MVP co-founder Nakisa Bidarian.
    Nakisa said in a statement: “Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson is a once-in-a-lifetime dream matchup, and I anticipate it will be the most-watched boxing event in modern boxing history.”
    The highly anticipated Tyson vs. Paul boxing match is poised to be a groundbreaking event in the world of combat sports

Image credits: Jake Paul
    As of now, it is reportedly unclear how the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation will handle this controversial matchup, as it is currently undetermined whether the event will be considered a professional fight, therefore a sanctioned fight where the fighters receive financial compensation, or an exhibition, which is a more informal or staged event where the primary goal is entertainment rather than competition.
    According to ESPN, Mike is one of the greatest, and most fearsome, heavyweight boxers to ever live. Nevertheless, he will be 58 at the time of the fight, whereas Jake is three decades his junior.
    Mike was in good shape when he fought Roy Jones to a draw in an exhibition boxing match on November 28, 2020, and he has looked good in social media video training.
    The boxing icon hasn’t participated in a professional fight since the year 2005. Additionally, in his last two professional fights, he was defeated by being stopped or knocked out by his opponents. He eventually hung up his gloves.
    “[Paul has] grown significantly as a boxer over the years, so it will be a lot of fun to see what the will and ambition of a ‘kid’ can do with the experience and aptitude of a GOAT,” Mike said in a statement.
    Jake, with an impressive record, defeated former UFC stars like Nate Diaz and Anderson Silva, and he has been aiming to gain experience by facing more seasoned boxers in pursuit of a world championship.
    The age gap between the two fighters Mike Tyson and Jake Paul has been a topic of controversy, debated amongst experts in the field

Image credits: Netflix
    “It’s crazy to think that in my second pro fight, I went viral for knocking out Nate Robinson on Mike Tyson’s undercard,” Jake said in a statement.
    He added: “Now, less than four years later, I’m stepping up to face Tyson myself to see if I have what it takes to beat one of boxing’s most notorious fighters and biggest icons.”
    The highly anticipated fight, which represents a collision of boxing’s traditional legacy with the modern era of social media and entertainment, has sparked various opinions, with many sports experts offering their insights.
    “I can’t exactly say I saw this coming,” Fansided MMA contributor Tom Albano told Bored Panda in an email. “I remember Paul saying he was (somehow) looking [at] the path towards being a world champion and would take a money fight only if it came. I was expecting him to have another ‘tomato can’ style bout next, but I guess the money fight came!”
    In boxing, a “tomato can” refers to a fighter who is considered to be of low skill level or little threat to their opponent.
    “I don’t doubt that this could sell,” Tom added. “You’ve got Netflix, the biggest streaming platform in the world. You’ve got Jake Paul and the brand and name value that he has in social media influencing and in combat sports. And you’ve got Mike Tyson, one of the greatest heavyweights to ever compete in the sport.”
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Continued from previous post

A sportswriter predicted the fight ending in a decision win for Jake “if this is an official bout”

Image credits: Jake Paul
    According to Tom, the fight will attract viewers “one way or another.”
    As far as who would win, Tom said, “One thing that needs to be taken into account is that it’s not final if this is an exhibition or a pro fight.”
    He continued: “I’d be surprised if Texas allows this to be a legit professional boxing contest, but we’ve seen crazy things happen in combat sports!”
    Tom predicted the fight ending in a decision win for Jake “if this is an official bout,” pointing to Mike and Jake’s age difference and “activeness.”
    “Anyone who wants to say Mike is training, while that’s true, training and actual competition are two different settings,” the sportswriter said.
    “That said, I wouldn’t mind seeing another KO win for the first boxer I ever became familiar with,” he admitted.
    Tom concluded: “Honestly though, it’s all a spectacle. It’s a business venture. It’s a money fight.
    He further stated: “I’m curious to see the viewership and social numbers for this fight. And I want to see how Netflix handles the production of this.”
    Stephen Jones, who boxed in the 1980s and 1990s as an amateur and spent a vast amount of time between the 1990s and 2000s in Las Vegas working with a number of fighters, including heavyweight Friday Ahunanya and former WBC heavyweight champion Samuel Peter, claimed to have witnessed Mike’s comeback after being released from prison.
    “I saw how declined he looked when he first walked into the gym after Indiana and how quickly he gathered momentum and elevated himself to a point where he actually resembled a solid imitation of his best self,” Stephen told Bored Panda in an email.
    “Mike will be 58 by the scheduled fight time and, in reality, shouldn’t be allowed to perform in paid fighting,” another boxing enthusiast said

Image credits: Joe Scarnici/Getty Images
    Mike Tyson was convicted of rape in 1992 and served three years in prison from 1992 to 1995.
    Stephen, who runs Mirageboxing.blogspot.com and coaches amateur and professional fighters in the UK, further recalled: “Mike was hurting men in the gym daily, a naturally aggressive predator with very little mercy on his way to regaining the title.
    “Mike, even at his most broken, could thrash his way through a version of the heavyweight division and remain a lightning bolt in the division’s history.”
    However, according to Stephen, Mike has now become “a sideshow against a man who wouldn’t have had the guts to carry Mike’s gym bag in the 1990s.”
    The boxing coach explained: “Mike will be 58 by the scheduled fight time and, in reality, shouldn’t be allowed to perform in paid fighting despite his obvious natural instincts.
    “Jake is hiding behind a goofy persona with a vast following and great business acumen.
    “Don’t be fooled, despite no boxing background and a late arrival to the sport, he is always in great condition. He fights often and has [a] very shrewd boxing advisory around him.”
    Also pointing to Jake’s younger age, Stephen added: “I’d love to have the naivety to fantasize about Mike demolishing Paul, [but] the reality is very different.
    “A heavily muscled and powerful 58-year-old who hasn’t boxed a live opponent in combat in nearly 20 years and, despite his underwhelming level of opposition, Jake has boxed frequently and is an extremely diligently conditioned athlete who takes the sport seriously.”
    Stephen went on to note the rarity for a fighter to return after a 20-year hiatus.
    “I’d hope Mike would emerge morally victorious by carefully evading Jake’s best efforts, but I don’t think it’s a fight that can offer Mike an opportunity to roll back the years,” he said.
    “It’s not a fight that I’m happy to see,” the boxing enthusiast said before concluding: “Mike always has a puncher[’s] chance of hurting and stopping Paul, but in my experience, a lively and motivated young and enthusiastic upstart will be hard to discourage.”
    “This can’t be real,” a reader commented

Andréa Oldereide
    Writer, BoredPanda staff
    Hey, my name is Andréa and some people call me "Dré". I hate the nickname Andy. I'm a journalist and I write for the News Team at Bored Panda, which is a recently introduced team. I cover anything that's breaking news or in general news within the world of pop culture and other areas such as science, nature, and more. You'll see me often chase after a source to get an original quote in my articles.
    If I'm free I'll tune in...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Even though I'd like to see Mike Tyson win by KO, I highly doubt that's going to happen. I also see it as going to Jake Paul by decision. And no, this is NOT a "dream match." Mike Tyson is decades past his prime, and nothing involving Jake Paul is anyone's dream match, except for maybe social media addicts.

The fight could very well be fixed. In which case, Jake Paul won't lose, no matter what (in my opinion).

OTOH, Mike Tyson is still a lot faster at 57 than most young men today. And he can still hurt you badly if he hits you right. Power is the last thing to go in a fighter that was a power puncher. I'd bet on Tyson in a street fight over Jake Paul any day.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 03-18-2024 at 05:38 PM.

Little Big Shots | Mike Tyson 'Fights' Little Girl

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips