Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardcore bone breaks in MMA matches

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    I've heard a hook kick called a suitcase kick. Like another name for an axe kick is the lotus kick. Just a name thing...
    those are both new to me. I've never heard a hook called that. Where I took cma, the lotus kick was a type of jumping axe. the spinning hook in muay thai is "crocodile whips its tail". I can't recall how to say it in thai...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    The videos show low round kicks being blocked by shins, not cut kicks, not body kicks.

I have never heard any decent MT coach tell you to kick "upward" on a low round to the thigh, I did how ever get slapped in the head by Chai when I did that at a seminar and hear " you wanna break leg boy?".
    nor have I.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    The suitcase kick...? Are you taking the ****? WTF is that?
    it's a roundhouse variation. it's done with more bend in the leg and is used on a frontal surface like the stomach, or more commonly, the front of the quads. I am guessing the name came from the use of suitcase pads to train the kick, however, you can use a suitcase pad on the side of the leg as well...

So does that go up, or does it depend?
    always inward.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    those are both new to me. I've never heard a hook called that. Where I took cma, the lotus kick was a type of jumping axe. the spinning hook in muay thai is "crocodile whips its tail". I can't recall how to say it in thai...
    Yep, and combined with a wheel kick, you get a croc roll. I busted my nose driving my face into the ground the first time I got up the nerve to complete it. there is no doing at half speed; its an all or nothing move.

My style calls any axe kick a lotus kick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

it's a roundhouse variation. it's done with more bend in the leg and is used on a frontal surface like the stomach, ...
    Interesting... I've always heard this one called a side thrust kick. Are you using the ball of the foot or the outside edge to make contact?
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Interesting... I've always heard this one called a side thrust kick. Are you using the ball of the foot or the outside edge to make contact?
    I think he is refering to the triangle kick a cross between a front and a round kick.

Ah. Makes more sence now. Amazing how we all know the same basic kicks, but call them something different.

no, it's not a side kick at all. it is a roundhouse and connects with the shin.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I think he is refering to the triangle kick a cross between a front and a round kick.
    I hate that kick. this kick is more roundhouse like than a triangle kick.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

I hate that kick. this kick is more roundhouse like than a triangle kick.
    I would have said the "no-shadow kick" but then all the Wong nutriders would throw a fit !!

no, it's not a side kick at all. it is a roundhouse and connects with the shin.
    Dam. Now I'm confused again. A roundhose done with a slight bend in the knee that connects with the shin is still a roundhouse, just conected a bit close in. Yes? No?

A triangle kick is a side kick done with the swinging lower leg found in a chamered roundhouse, but still conecting with the edge of the foot. A roundhouse has more of a whipping motion and connects with the top of the foot.

A pillow kick, as I used to understand it, is similar to this, but you "dig" the ball of the foot into soft tissue (similar to trying to get gum off the bottom of your shoe), rather than thrust through like a side kick or whip at the flanks like a roundhouse. Hence the term pillow.

we're talking about the bent-leg thai kick right? sorta halfway between a knee and a round kick...

about the kicking up thing, anyone kick up to the inside of the opponent lead thigh?

Dam. Now I'm confused again. A roundhose done with a slight bend in the knee that connects with the shin is still a roundhouse, just conected a bit close in. Yes? No?
    yeah, that's all it is. something similiar is done from the clinch - the half knee, or half knee half shin

when done as a kick rather than in clinch range, it is a suitcase kick.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by stricker View Post
    we're talking about the bent-leg thai kick right? sorta halfway between a knee and a round kick...
    bingo.

about the kicking up thing, anyone kick up to the inside of the opponent lead thigh?
    I do, but I was never taught to. by kicking up, you can sometimes lift that leg and move it, knocking them off balance. I only do it with my lead leg kick.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

bingo.

I do, but I was never taught to. by kicking up, you can sometimes lift that leg and move it, knocking them off balance. I only do it with my lead leg kick.
    yeah i musta posted a few seconds before you did about the half-kick half-knee. that book link shows it as a clinch tactic to prevent knees, i didnt realise that WAS the kick, i thought it was 2 seperate techniques, one the kick and the second using the shin as a bar in the clinch... anwyay.

yeah i've been taught to kick up to the inside of the thigh with the lead leg, usually off a jab and a step. i thought thats why when some thais move their lead leg back it goes up and around so it doesnt get caught...