Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardcore bone breaks in MMA matches

also, i was taught it was more of a thing to hurt, its quite a tender area under the thigh... making the kick more of a low round to the leg would split the legs like a sweep i guess

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    yeah, that's all it is. something similiar is done from the clinch - the half knee, or half knee half shin

when done as a kick rather than in clinch range, it is a suitcase kick.
    Ah, yes. I was thinking of the correct thing. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Back to the PROBLEM with these three individuals.

The common thread between these three videos is the presence of the "floppy" foot.

Throwing the kick with a floppy relaxed foot without pointing the toe. Hence no tightening of the calf muscles, hence, no muscular mass supporting the bones. Hence, snap. I have heard this from MT people before, "the shins are like hitting with a bat." But without the muscular support its like hitting with a corked bat.

In the real skinny guy's case, it was not having enough calf to begin with. Twig legs.

----------------

Hitting with "the foot" is also too vague. One points the toe to hit with the instep no lower than the outer heel line. You don;t want to hit any lower than this, it would torque your ankle.

Interesting. Out of curiousity....in many one-legged stances where the raised leg is chambered in front of the body....is that the reason the toes are usually pointed towards the floor?

I have no idea....just asking people better informed than I.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Interesting. Out of curiousity....in many one-legged stances where the raised leg is chambered in front of the body....is that the reason the toes are usually pointed towards the floor?

I have no idea....just asking people better informed than I.
    When sparring/fighting, you should not chamber the leg in front of the body, you should chamber it toward the kick. If you chamber directly in front of you, ala Crane Stance, the landing kick can spin your body and leave your vulnerable.

You want to meet their shin with your shin.

But, yeah, toes down tightens the leg muscles and also prevents broken/jammed toes.

Leg kicks in Kyokushin

When I see full contact karate, I see a verson of the shinkick, but it looks more like they're striking with the inside of the foot, or with the heel (toes pointed at the sky).

I can't tell if I'm seeing it wrong, or if that's the actual technique.

Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    When sparring/fighting, you should not chamber the leg in front of the body, you should chamber it toward the kick. If you chamber directly in front of you, ala Crane Stance, the landing kick can spin your body and leave your vulnerable.

You want to meet their shin with your shin.
    this is correct.

But, yeah, toes down tightens the leg muscles and also prevents broken/jammed toes.
    this may be personal preference. I have had people stress that the toes should not point down while blocking, however they should point when striking. OTOH I have also had teachers stress pointing the foot. Not pointing them is more in line with thai footwork and also the ram muay.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

a cut kick in muay thai is a roundhouse to the supporting leg of an opponent who is kicking at you. You are kicking out their supporting leg, hopefully knocking them down.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83AEG...elated&search=

this particular variation is actually called a submarine kick. If the guy was kicking, and his support leg was kicked, that is called a cut kick.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Very nice find 7*! It also demonstrated the need to really train the half moon jump. The only way I know to not crumble when a shin hits the inner calve is to not let it hit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

this particular variation is actually called a submarine kick. If the guy was kicking, and his support leg was kicked, that is called a cut kick.
    Nice move, BUt his foot is angle wrong on that clip, I assume because he isn't really kicking, on this one you can see the correct angle of his kicking foot and how the low kick comes IN and never UP.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h4KD...elated&search=

And yet the same guy calls this a cut kick, which is the same video I posted 2 pages back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlkUlA96g2Y

And yet the same guy calls this a cut kick, which is the same video I posted 2 pages back:

Hmmm, no matter how conditioned, a simple look at the anatomical weakness of the shin bone tells us that hitting with the flat part rather than the edge, is not a good idea.
    Sure if all it hits is meat, ideally.
    heck Ideally I can take someone out with a flying crotch attack !
    Would I recommend it?
    Nope.

here's another one:

http://www.ancientmuaythai.com/school/countertech.htm

scroll down to "grabbing the elephant's trunk" - they mention that that is a cut kick as well.

here is an explanation of it on bullsh!do:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...t=56317&page=4

I'm not gonna say he's wrong - different schools call different techniques by different names all the time, but I have never heard of what you posted referred to as a cut kick.

another vid:
    http://tdatraining.blogspot.com/sear...uay%20Thai
    Last edited by SevenStar; 06-27-2007 at 01:58 PM.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

the spinning hook in muay thai is "crocodile whips its tail". I can't recall how to say it in thai...
    จระเข้ฟาดหาง
    Jarakhe faat haang

-brian

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    Same thing I've heard my Sifu saw dozens of times, for every type of kick. "Don't rise up on the tip toe or you fall on you butt. Don't float the kick or you'll connect where you shouldn't. Either way, you're dead in a real fight."

My Sifu's such an optomist.
    True, although in Muay Thai we are taught to do all of our kicks on the ball of the foot, rotating as the hip of the kicking leg is turned in just prior to making contact (I know this is not the same as what your Sifu said, which was not to stand on the "tip toe").

This was difficult for me at first because in Northern Shaolin we were always taught to keep our supporting foot rooted, with the heel of the supporting foot firmly on the ground for just about everything. It was a fundamental concept. It took me a long time to un-learn that for the purposes of Muay Thai, but now its second-nature. In fact, most of the time in Muay Thai we stand on the ball of one or both feet.

-brian