Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mastery

Hi Chu Sau Li,

I have the humble familiarity of an autodidact.

Its such a huge topic and the tendency is for people to emphasize particular aspects that they are into. For instance, I recognize most of the terms that you used but certainly not all of them.

I can tell you from my experience;

1) That my main concern is "how do I use this to better my Gung Fu" i.e. how can the theory (anchoring, meta states, time line, modalities" be turned into a drill with real time application. So, I would definitely be interested in how you (specifically) incorporate NLP tools into training Wing Chun.

2) Most useful to me have been meta states. I've had a bit of luck being guided by a hypnotherapist so I've used self inductions for a few years to create some resource states for e.g. Wing Chun, studying, working etc. I used to be into swish patterns and anchoring but the novelty wore off after a while.

3) A problem I find is that when you incorporate this stuff, a lot of becomes subconscious, so you have to step back to understand what you are doing.

3) A big thing for me is posture, macro and micro gesture changes (to make assessments and predictions regarding the opponent). This has obvious application to de-escalation strategies when the 'tells' are obvious of someone in a heightened state of aggression.

I hope this makes sense. Also interested to hear any observations you have and perhaps even suggestions.

Suki
    "From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

Suki,

Gladly discuss them all with you. Might be a better thing for us to do offline.

Feel free to contact me at chusauli@gmail.com.

Hope to chat soon.

Quote Originally Posted by stonecrusher69 View Post
    ......also a long teaching record to be considerd by your peers as a master or grandmaster. Perhaps thats not a bad way to look at it.It does not say wherether the person is good or not it can give you some idea.
    My wing chun sifu always said that to really understand a technique one has to be at a level to teach it. Teaching it to different people makes the teacher further understand the particular technique in question by seeing it from a different "angle", hence helping him in its mastery.

Furthermore according to him (and it makes perfect sense to me), one becomes a Grand Master when one or more of his disciples reach a masters level.

HW108

lol, seconds out, round two
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    lol, seconds out, round two
    yeah, let the games begin anew...