Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 47 Ronin

Hybrid View

47 Ronin

I think I'm scared. I just saw a production listing for 47 Ronin. I was very excited about a remake because this was one of my first introductions to japanese culture. This excitement turned to dismay when I saw that Keanu Reeves has been attached to star in this picture. I guess I'm in the wait and see mode. Why do they keep giving him movie roles?
    Last edited by enoajnin; 12-16-2008 at 02:09 PM. Reason: missed a few words

woah

The Day the Media Forum Stood Still....
    Keanu Reeves to lead '47 Ronin'
    Chris Morgan to write Universal feature
    By MICHAEL FLEMING

Keanu Reeves will star in "47 Ronin," an epic period film for Universal Pictures based on the true tale of a band of samurai swordsmen who avenged the death of their master in 18th century Japan.

Chris Morgan, who co-wrote "Wanted" and penned the upcoming "Fast and Furious" for Universal, is writing the script. Scott Stuber will produce through his Stuber Prods. banner.

Reeves stars in sci-fi remake "The Day the Earth Stood Still," which Fox bows Friday.

In "47 Ronin," he will play one of the swordsmen; the group and their master are revered in Japan for their revenge attack on Dec. 14, 1702.

The film will tell a stylized version of the story, mixing fantasy elements of the sort seen in "The Lord of the Rings" pics, with gritty battle scenes akin to those in films such as "Gladiator."

Morgan is writing the script and tailoring it so that Reeves -- who's half-Asian -- can fit the role as one of the swordsmen. The intention is to begin shooting next year after a director is hired.

Walter Hamada and Chris Fenton will be exec producers.

Under his U-based shingle, Stuber is shooting the Vince Vaughn starrer "Couples Retreat" and is preparing for the release of the Joe Johnston-directed "The Wolfman," the Jennifer Aniston starrer "Traveling" and "Repossession Mambo." Stuber is prepping "Your Highness," with David Gordon Green to direct and Danny McBride to star.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

What a mess that is gonna be.

hmmm...

not too sure about keanu....the upside, his roll may not involve too much speaking.

wait, is he going to be speaking japanese then?

or will this be one of those things where all the feudal japanese for some reason speak american english....
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

so bad, it'll probably be in english which doesnt bother me at all. what should bother people is bad screen writer+horrible actor will probably equal blockbuster. i dont get what people see in reeves, noy one bit. and yea he's half asian but looks as much asian as i do. holywood must loves ****ing off the japs, i mean last samurai memoirs of a geisha and now this.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    so bad, it'll probably be in english which doesnt bother me at all. what should bother people is bad screen writer+horrible actor will probably equal blockbuster. i dont get what people see in reeves, noy one bit. and yea he's half asian but looks as much asian as i do. holywood must loves ****ing off the japs, i mean last samurai memoirs of a geisha and now this.
    agree completely. actually i didnt know he was half asian till this release. thats how asian he looks.

they may as well just cast cruise again
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    holywood must loves ****ing off the japs.

FYI, that term is not cool.

Some Japanese heavy hitters are now attached

Now it's not just about Keanu anymore.
    Four Japanese actors join '47 Ronin'
    Universal actioner, based on Japanese legend, stars Keanu Reeves
    By Justin Kroll

Rinko Kikuchi, Tadanobu Asano, Hiroyuki Sanada, Keanu Reeves, Kou Shibasaki, Carl Rinsch
    Four Japanese actors have joined Universal's Keanu Reeves actioner "47 Ronin," about a group of warriors on a vengeance quest.

Hiroyuki Sanada, Kou Shibasaki, Tadanobu Asano and Rinko Kikuchi join the cast for the pic directed by Carl Rinsch. Story is inspired by the Japanese legend of the 47 Ronin, who seek vengeance against an overlord who banished them.

Pic's set to be released in 3D on Nov. 11, 2012.

Chris Morgan and Hossein Amini penned the script with Scott Stuber, Pamela Abdy and Eric McLeod producing through Stuber Prods.

U sees "47 Ronin" as one of its big 2012 tentpoles and was particular about its cast. Sources tell Variety that Universal sought actors of Japanese descent to be true to the story even if they weren't as recognizable to domestic auds.

Some of the project's new faces should look familiar. Sanada was seen in "The Last Samurai" and "Sunshine" and most recently played Dogen in the final season of "Lost." Kikuchi is best known for her Oscar-nominated role in "Babel," and Asano has Paramount's "Thor" and U's "Battleship" coming up. Shibasaki has appeared in some of Japan's biggest B.O. hits, including "Battle Royale" and "Go."

Asano and Kikuchi are repped by CAA and Anore, Sanada by the Libra Intl.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Henry's Crime

This is an indie that Keanu just put out. In an interview on it, they discussed 47 Ronin at the end.

'Henry's Crime' is Keanu Reeves' labor of love
    Walter Addiego, Chronicle Staff Writer
    San Francisco Chronicle April 8, 2011 04:00 AM
    Sunday, April 10, 2011

Q: You've just filmed "47 Ronin" in Budapest. It's a major undertaking, right?

A: It's a famous story from Japan, based on something that happened in 1703. We're doing a reinterpretation or reinvention of the story. It's a fantastical, real (pause) Western, in a way. These samurai who become ronin (samurai without masters) seek to get revenge for their fallen lord. There are some celebrated versions of it, (particularly) "Chushingura" (the 1962 movie by Hiroshi Inagaki).

Q: A story in Variety said it's going to have "Lord of the Rings"-style fantasy elements. Is that right?

A: No, it's creating a world, but not as "Dungeons and Dragons" as that. And I don't mean that in a pejorative sense. "47 Ronin" is fantastical - we have a witch, we have giants, mythical creatures. But the emotion and the drama are not fantastical.

Q: It's a pretty heavy story.

A: Yeah, I mean, we all commit suicide in the end.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

omg he just gave the end away

I guess 'woah...spoiler alert' just isn't in Keanu's vocabulary

There are two more pix if you follow the link.
    First Look: Keanu Reeves on the Set of ’47 Ronin’
    Posted on Friday, November 25th, 2011 by Russ Fischer

Pretty minor stuff here, but here’s the first look at Keanu Reeves in costume for the Carl Erik Rinsch film 47 Ronin. The movie is a remake, in name at least, of a Japanese film from 1947, but what we’ve heard about the film so far suggests that Rinch is going for something a bit more his own than just a straight remake. The story has been around far longer than sixty-some years, so Rinsch has many previous versions to draw on, but also the leeway to give his own spin on the tale. (Which includes shooting this version in 3D.)

Rinsch is noted for being a Ridley Scott protege, and he was once attached to direct a film related to Alien way before that movie evolved into Prometheus, with Scott taking directorial duties. Rinsch was also set to direct Logan’s Run before dropping off that project (making room for Nicolas Winding Refn) and to make 47 Ronin.

We don’t have actual stills from the film yet, but after the break you’ll find a shot of Reeves in character, and images of a couple other players in their film garb.

Earlier this year Reeves explained his vision of the film,

It’s in 3D. It’s kind of a western. I call it a story of revenge and impossible love. The samurai become ronin, outcast, and decide to enact revenge on the person who is responsible for the death of their lord. And I play an outsider, a kind of half-breed with a mysterious past named Kai, who’s in love with the princess and she’s in love with me, but we can’t be together. But during this journey and revenge, things change.

Chris Morgan (Wanted) scripted, and this is how he described the script when Rinsch was set to direct:

It’s a time in Japanese culture when it was all about [the] bushido [code] and honor, and putting internal things over external things -- swords that were made to be functional instead of ornamental, that kind of stuff," Morgan previously told MTV. "this turning point in the culture when that started to shift. Society started to be more about external kind of things. The story is about these samurai whose lord is killed in an unfair way.

And we've got this from an official press release about the movie.

Inspired by styles as diverse as Miyazaki and Hokusai, Rinsch will bring to life the stunning landscapes and enormous battles that will display the timeless Ronin story to global audiences in a way that’s never been seen before.

47 Ronin also features Hiroyuki Sanada, Kô Shibasaki, Tadanobu Asano, Rinko Kikuchi, and Jin Akanishi. It is set for release on November 21, 2012.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Atticus

Atticus Ross to Score ’47 Ronin’
    Posted: April 6, 2012 by filmmusicreporter in Film Scoring Assignments

Atticus Ross has been hired to score Universal’s upcoming epic 3D martial arts fantasy adventure 47 Ronin. The film marks the feature directorial debut of commercial/music video director Carl Erik Rinsch and stars Keanu Reeves, as well as Japanese actors Hiroyuki Sanada, Tadanobu Asano, Rinko Kikuchi, and Kou Shibasaki. The movie tells the fact-based story of the 47 Ronin, a band of samurai swordsmen who avenge the death of their master in 18th century Japan. Chris Morgan (Wanted, Fast Five) and Hossein Amini (Drive) have written the screenplay and Scott Stuber (Battleship, Role Models), Eric McLeod (Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Tropic Thunder) and Pamela Abdy (Garden State) are producing the film. The tentpole production marks Ross’ highest profile scoring assignment to date as a solo composer. He is best known for his collaborations with Trent Reznor on David Fincher’s The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Social Network (for which he won an Academy Award), as well as his music for the Hughes Brother’s The Book of Eli, on which he shared credit with Leopold Ross and Claudia Sarne. Ross has previously worked with Rinsch on the Mercedes-Benz interactive short film Escape the Map. 47 Ronin has been scheduled for a release on November 21, 2012 by Universal Pictures.
    Anyone else catch Hiroyuki Sanada in Revenge? He's the heroine's ninja master. Seriously.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Blog Entries

47 Ronin UK TRailer - Youtube

47 Ronin UK Trailer (2013) - Keanu Reeves Movie HD

Published on Oct 7, 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LAhSfNfq4E

Well...all we can do is wait and see??
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

Extended Preview

Still optimistic about this, follow the link.

http://twitchfilm.com/2013/10/47-ron...w-trailer.html
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Trailer attached to Thor

One of the tags in the movie I think was "There is a story of 47 warrriors" My immediate thought was There is and this movie isn't that story.

But then I read this article over at i09 and felt better about the movie, especially when I realized Reeves wasn't directing this one.

Here is the article:

Quote Originally Posted by Director Carl Rinsch
    That's the historical event. We went to the site. It's fantastic! You can still go there and pray today. That's that. Then there's this thing called "Chūshingura," which is the tradition of the storytelling of the "47 Ronin." That means Chūshingura is not just a historically accurate story. It's taking it and making it your own. There's been the "Hello Kitty Chūshingura." They've told the "47 Ronin" with all women.

. . . For me, when I first looked at it, I went, "Oh, wow, this is hallowed ground. I don't want to trespass on it. I don't want to f*ck up a national, iconic, story, but then I started realizing, "No – that's the fun of it, is to make it your own." And what (screenwriter) Chris Morgan had done from the very beginning was to say, "What if you made some of the samurai story a fantasy?" And so we just leaned into that and invested that. "Okay, what are some of the fantasy characters I, as a westerner never heard of?" I mean I knew of Kirin Beer, but I can't imagine a real Kirin or Tengu Warrior. I never knew what a Tengu Warrior was, and the more I looked into it, the more I saw that the myth and the fantasy of Japan had more characters in it than Marvel could ever have in their entire menagerie, so I thought, "Okay, this is an opportunity to do something totally, totally different, so our version of "47 Ronin," our "Chūshingura" story, is going to be a samurai fantasy epic. I thought, "That's cool. I haven't f*cking seen that before. Great! Kurosawa on meth. I'll do that!"