Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 47 Ronin

Quote Originally Posted by Kansuke View Post
    Don't use the term again and there will be no place to 'go.'
    yeah what ever just stay on topic.

NO, not "whatever," don't do it and there will be no need to discuss it.

You can always edit previous comments

I've always known Keanu was hapa. It's pretty obvious, just like Kristen Kreuk and the Tilly sisters. My kid is hapa. Technically speaking, so am I. I'm hapanese pake. Hapa nation rising.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Best way to end racism is to get rid of races. Gene pools like mixing.

And, yeah, Keanu is pretty clearly half-asian. I've known that since... what... Johnny Pnemonic.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I've always known Keanu was hapa. It's pretty obvious, just like Kristen Kreuk and the Tilly sisters. My kid is hapa. Technically speaking, so am I. I'm hapanese pake. Hapa nation rising.
    What is "hapa" ?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Hapa means of mixed race.

I've liked Keanu in a couple of films, like The Matrix (only the first installment), and The Little Buddha, the only time I know of that he ever portrayed an Asian, Siddartha(sp?), the Buddha.

Yesterday I saw The Day the Earth Stood Still. Not great, but IMO the role fits Keanu perfectly. Alien being with mechanical personality who speaks in monotone.

Gene:
    + 1 on Meg and Jennifer Tilly. It seemed almost nobody was aware of that, although it's quite obvious.

Gene pools like mixing

Is that a pun, SimonM?

I've always thought the Tilly sisters are pretty obvious, so I'm always surprised when people don't realize that. Meg & Jennifer. Then again, I always thought Keanu was obvious too.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

LOL Would I resort to punning?

Well... yes, yes I would.

And I wasn't aware that the Tilley sisters were of mxed ancestry but having been told that I can sort of see it...
    Last edited by SimonM; 12-18-2008 at 01:07 PM.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kansuke View Post
    NO, not "whatever," don't do it and there will be no need to discuss it.
    dude i stated that i wasnt aware of it, i apologized and i moved on stop trying to stat a fire where there's no need to start a fire.just keep it moving.

as for the tilly sisters i have no freaking idea who the hell the tilly sisters are. not one **** clue. kristen kruek is obviously mixed its noticeable, keanu reeves on the other hand, not so much. i wonder if they are gonna put him in yellow face, which would be ****ed up.long live Pinocchio aka keanu reeves

ok i just remembered who jennifer tilley was. duh

I always could tell about the Tilly sisters, esp. since Meg bears a huge resemblance to a cousin of mine (not a hapa, though).

I don't know if they'd yellow-face Keanu, but I could see them using eye makeup to 'slant' his eyes up, even though (1), Keanu's eyes are such he doesn't need that; (2), lots of Japanese, myself included, are as round-eyed as most non-Asians.

I'm more converned how he'd fit into the acting and storyline. If he speaks, do they dub his voice over?

IMO The Last Samurai would have been a great movie if it had been without Tom Cruise, but of course, unfortunately he's the reason it was as successful in the U.S. and internationally as it was. And people get the impression that his character WAS the 'last samurai', which he was not.

Jimbo you will get no arguments from me about the Last Samurai.

Tom Cruise's role in the story can basically be reduced to "hey, look, a white protagonist".

Then again Tom Cruise is like the anti-Depp... in that he takes otherwise interesting movies and makes them awful... as opposed to Depp who has frequently taken otherwise awful movies and made them work.

Just saw Sweeny Todd the day before yesterday. Best...
    Musical...
    Ever...

But it really was carried by Depp and Bonham Carter.
    Simon McNeil

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I always could tell about the Tilly sisters, esp. since Meg bears a huge resemblance to a cousin of mine (not a hapa, though).

I don't know if they'd yellow-face Keanu, but I could see them using eye makeup to 'slant' his eyes up, even though (1), Keanu's eyes are such he doesn't need that; (2), lots of Japanese, myself included, are as round-eyed as most non-Asians.

I'm more converned how he'd fit into the acting and storyline. If he speaks, do they dub his voice over?

IMO The Last Samurai would have been a great movie if it had been without Tom Cruise, but of course, unfortunately he's the reason it was as successful in the U.S. and internationally as it was. And people get the impression that his character WAS the 'last samurai', which he was not.
    I liked the Last Samurai, in spite of Tom and I don't know anyone who thought that HE was the last samurai.
    His swinging the bokuto and katana like a baseball bat was priceless, LOL !

A pretty good one that is not very well know is "The last Warrior" with Cary Tagawa and Gary Graham ( of the Alien Nation TV series).
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

i liked last samurai as well. and yeah everyone knows tom wasnt the last samurai. but when the posters were released in japan with tom on the one-sheet, it made it seem like he was the last samurai which i remember there was this big uproar causing the studio to change them.

i think the last samurai was a really good film over all.

part of what I liked the most was the costumes, and the bokken scenes.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.