Thread: Whats the KFM of MMA Mags?

Whats the KFM of MMA Mags?

Who keeps it real?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I get Fight delivered to my school. Not sure how that happened, don't recall filling out a subcription. Anyway, it's a good mag. The only issue I have is that on one cover they listed an article,ten awesome submissions, and inside, only showed one. Aside from their weak math skills, the mag seems pretty good.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

keepin' it real

Thanks for the sideways compliment, Cimaroon.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    I've always like 'Tapout' as a mma mag...slick presentation and good technique photoarticles.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

"Grappling" was the best one out there for a long time.
    Some of the issues I had way back should be collector's items these days (like the issue where Frank Trigg had hair & wore spandex).
    Dunno about these days.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

I picked up the grappling/MMA mags and they're chock full of pictures of scantily clad women and advertisements for performance enhancement products (muscle, endurance and other).

Not my thing.

I can open up a KF magazine and read about the articles without all the fluff.

Just my opinion,
    Kenton
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

i dunno...not to be raggin on our own but...there is an ad in the current issue of KFM about some magnetic rings GUARANTEED to make you younger...and while the women are more tastefully clad, don't think the hot chicks in the KFM ads aren't there because...well, they are hot and sex sells...the mags have to pay the writers of the articles somehow.

oh, btw, Gene...how did you guys find the NFL cheerleader to pose for you??? very nice!
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    i dunno...not to be raggin on our own but...there is an ad in the current issue of KFM about some magnetic rings GUARANTEED to make you younger...
    are you suggesting that they don't?

oh, btw, Gene...how did you guys find the NFL cheerleader to pose for you??? very nice!
    gifts of nachos and more nachos, as always...

i don't know...however, at $39 they better work because I can get TWO full sets of them for $19.99 if I CALL RIGHT NOW!

I've always like 'Tapout' as a mma mag...slick presentation and good technique photoarticles.
    Plus you can totally brand yourself with a Tapout(tm) baseball cap, a Tapout(tm) hoodie, a Tapout(tm) T-Shirt and a Tapout(tm) wrist band. To top it all off a cigarette lighter emblazoned with the Tapout(tm) logo.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    Plus you can totally brand yourself with a Tapout(tm) baseball cap, a Tapout(tm) hoodie, a Tapout(tm) T-Shirt and a Tapout(tm) wrist band. To top it all off a cigarette lighter emblazoned with the Tapout(tm) logo.
    or you can NOT do that and just reap the benefits of the fools who are spending the money on that stuff.

I've watched the Tapout show a couple of times and while I was initially put off by the 'in your face' bit, when the tall guy would talk about the fighters and what he saw in them, good or bad, I understood that behind all the glam, they really know what it takes to be a fighter AND when someone doesn't have it.

as an aside, when I went to the bar to watch the last UFC, I had forgotten about all the posers with the chains and the Tapout gear...I had some good laughs that night.

The Tapout ashtray was the last straw for me...

Because nothing says "athletics" like an ashtray.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

granted, it's dumb...but, i doubt most serious fighters are buying all that crap...they are selling it to the fans.

now, now, y'all can't cap on our ads

We have so few outside ads and they help pay the billls around here.

The NFL cheerleader (former) is the girlfriend of a Shaolin brother...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

understood...but...really? the magnetic pinkie rings?

lol, i just had a thought...you should charge double for the stupid ads

I promise I'll buy 2 copies of each issue from now on....