Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Learning kung fu from videos

Blog Entries

Learning kung fu from videos

You always hear people saying you can't learn kung fu from videos. That you don't get the finer points and correction. Now I agree a new student with no experience would not be able to. But someone with years of experience wanting to expand their knowledge, I think could learn this way.
    For those that say you can't, how is it that the old kung fu guys could invent styles from watching monkeys, cranes fighting snakes, or watching praying mantis', but we can't learn a style by watching a master perform his craft.
    Yang luchan watched the chen family and practiced alone and was still able to beat all the chen practitioners.
    So I would think it is possible.
    Any comments please.

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi warrior View Post
    Y
    For those that say you can't, how is it that the old kung fu guys could invent styles from watching monkeys, cranes fighting snakes, or watching praying mantis
    Because when developing these styles the older masters created the underlying principals that make the mimicked movement work as a human fighting style (i.e. the finer points that you probably need instruction about).
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

You can learn anything from a video if A) the instruction in the video is clear and B) you work out the kinks with some live interaction.

I learned most of my kettlebell routines from videos.
    I learned how to fix my drier from videos.
    I learned a nifty trick for my wife from a video.
    I learned how do a gogoplata from a video.

Videos are great learning tools. People who say otherwise are elitist.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    You can learn anything from a video if A) the instruction in the video is clear and B) you work out the kinks with some live interaction.

I learned most of my kettlebell routines from videos.
    I learned how to fix my drier from videos.
    I learned a nifty trick for my wife from a video.
    I learned how do a gogoplata from a video.

Videos are great learning tools. People who say otherwise are elitist.
    I agree.

And it helps if you have some experience in the activity when you watch the video. As a Wing Chun guy, I can pick out body mechanics and lots of little things that others can't because of the amount of time I've spend in the art.

When I watch BJJ vids, I'm mesmerized. I have little to none experience in it and can't see ANYTHING that goes on, LOL!

Best,
    Kenton
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

I see nothing wrong with learning or being inspired from videos.

Have dabbled with some material I picked up from some VCDs i purchased but that is all.

One thing I'd like to see if you plan to teach others what you haved learned off of a video, will you be honest enough to let them know that.

You see, what individual would agree to learning fro a Video Master?

No one I know.

I can see obtaining a video from a teacher, copying what you see on the tape but then seeking proper personal instruction to make sure there aren't any mistakes and to learn the deeper meanings/philophies/principles behind the movments.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post

Have dabbled with some material I picked up from some VCDs i purchased but that is all.

One thing I'd like to see if you plan to teach others what you haved learned off of a video, will you be honest enough to let them know that.

No one I know.

I can see obtaining a video from a teacher, copying what you see on the tape but then seeking proper personal instruction to make sure there aren't any mistakes and to learn the deeper meanings/philophies/principles behind the movments.

I agree if you learn some material from video you should own up to it. I don't plan on teaching anyone other than my sons.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

ngokfei
    "One thing I'd like to see if you plan to teach others what you haved learned off of a video, will you be honest enough to let them know that.
    You see, what individual would agree to learning fro a Video Master?"

bodhi warrior
    "I agree if you learn some material from video you should own up to it."

I readily agree with these statements. There are to many videosifus out there in the world. A larger % than most people are willing to admit. Videos can be great, but please do not imply to your students that you learned otherwise.

Animal Immitation

Ok, first of all most of the stories of masters being inspired to immitate animals after watching fights are just that... stories.

There is little documented evidence of most of these founder's myths. Furthermore there is a story which is quite formulaic across multiple styles.

Master (a) was out (meditating / going for a walk / recuperating after getting beaten) when he observed animal (x) fighting animal (y). Suddenly master (a) realized that the strategy used by animal (x) could be applied to fighting to succeed in defeating antagonist (b).

Now we also know that there is a certain shamanistic tendency in alot of Chinese folk religion. And we do know that many of the figures who are ascribed status as founders are figures of religious or pseudo-religious professions. Based on this we can infer that it's possible that shamanistic folk-religious tendencies snuck into the martial arts through these purported founders if they were, in fact, anything like the legends of them describe (monks, nuns and hermits).

It's also interesting to note that the most directly immitative aspects of animals occur within the empty-hand forms of these martial arts; this is of particular interest as we do know that for the majority of the history of CMA empty-hand techniques were considered secondary to weapon techniques.

So I propose this hypothesis: animal immitation in CMA has nothing to do with fighting better, notwithstanding founders myths, but is, in fact, a carry over from shamanistic practice that, while based on animal immitation, is not in order to create better fighters but rather to evoke the "spiritual" qualities of the animal in question.

At this time I don't have a research method to falsify this hypothesis and so it remains open, a matter of opinion, based on the above reasoning, and not irrefutable fact.

As for the original topic: Videos are of limited use. Certainly they provide no opportunity to test. That won't happen unless you have a partner to work with at the very least. As a peripheral study-aid they don't hurt.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post

No one I know.

You should also man up to what you have learned from:
    Seminar
    Book
    Internet
    Informal training
    Own experience
    The experience of others
    Divine intervention
    Acid trip
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I've learned useful tips for ground fighting on the internet.

Thanks again to Master Killer for most of those.

(IIRC Knifefighter supplied a few as well).
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi warrior View Post
    Yang luchan watched the chen family and practiced alone and was still able to beat all the chen practitioners.
    So I would think it is possible.
    Any comments please.
    yang luchan was already a trained fighter

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

if you read Yang Cheng-Fu's book, he tells quite a different story of Yang Lu-Chan. In his version, Yang was taught at night, but not in secret, and he wasn't peeking through the crack in the fence, or whatever. There are so many styles that have a similar story. At this point, I think ALL the stories are just that-stories. It all boils down to marketing. Remember, when people were learning MA to learn to fight and go into battle, nobody cared about the name of the system, the origins, or the style. They just wanted to learn to fight. I seriously doubt if the people that train the infantry know the story of the origin of the bayonet drills.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I believe Rex Applegate had a dream where he witnessed a rhino and a gibbon having amorous relations...
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

at this point, more often than not, when I see or read something, it sparks ideas and connections to what I had previously learned, sometimes developing or refining what I already "knew."
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.