Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu politics has not changed

Quote Originally Posted by friday View Post
    its sad having stepped out of the circle for a number of years due to some injuries, continuing to observe and recently joining back into the fray - things haven't really changed at all.
    Parts of it still have the egos, politics, jealousy, rivalries, narrowminds, lies...
    Some things just never change...

sorry just a little rant of mine...
    All martial arts have some negative politics. Kung Fu is laden with it because its practitioners usually inflate and promote themselves with their mouth, computer keyboard or demonstrating videos. They don't put their technique and a$$ on the line.

This creates a bunch of woman-like behavior.

Kung Fu will change when it's followers change. Maybe they'll still talk smack, but it will be the self-pumping-up pre-fight smack talking that some fighters need to amp themselves up. I never like it, but can understand that. That is different than talking smack to another man you'll never face.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    All martial arts have some negative politics. Kung Fu is laden with it because its practitioners usually inflate and promote themselves with their mouth, computer keyboard or demonstrating videos. They don't put their technique and a$$ on the line.

This creates a bunch of woman-like behavior.

Kung Fu will change when it's followers change. Maybe they'll still talk smack, but it will be the self-pumping-up pre-fight smack talking that some fighters need to amp themselves up. I never like it, but can understand that. That is different than talking smack to another man you'll never face.
    Its not just Kung fu Bro, Kyokushin is all about fighting and they have the same politics and crap.
    Unless there is a sole "governing body" you will always have politics and crap.
    Even then there is still some of it, its human nature.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Yea. I never cared about those types of politics... who's got the final say. Who can promote who. That stuff never meant anything to me.

I'm talking about guys making claims.... about having the "real" stuff. The only legit lineage. Special skills.... but then they never put up.

That's just frustrating.

As a kid I'd go to Issin-Ryu tournaments. And there's always politics. You can be underscored in form. And you can be disqualified for created things while sparring.... but kicking some kid out of the taped enclosure and on his a$$. There's no denying that. You can take that feeling home with you and call on it 25 years later and still smile.

Talk is always ugly. But never as ugly as in martial arts.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Its not just Kung fu Bro, Kyokushin is all about fighting and they have the same politics and crap.
    Unless there is a sole "governing body" you will always have politics and crap.
    Even then there is still some of it, its human nature.

Yeah it's a game. I remember a while back when i was testing for my next kyu in Kyokushin I had all the requiste kata's down and fought well but they wouldn't promote me because I didn't have enough classes under my belt. This just screamed to me it was about the dollars and not the students progress.

Sanjuro

How is the Kyokushin/ Kyokushinkai/ Kyokushinkai-kan doing up in Canada since it's been split off into so many directions? In the U.S. it's still around but the original maters that Mas sent over (S.Oyama, M.Miura, etc) have re-branded it to thier own style like US Oyama.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin22 View Post
    Yeah it's a game. I remember a while back when i was testing for my next kyu in Kyokushin I had all the requiste kata's down and fought well but they wouldn't promote me because I didn't have enough classes under my belt. This just screamed to me it was about the dollars and not the students progress.

Sanjuro

How is the Kyokushin/ Kyokushinkai/ Kyokushinkai-kan doing up in Canada since it's been split off into so many directions? In the U.S. it's still around but the original maters that Mas sent over (S.Oyama, M.Miura, etc) have re-branded it to thier own style like US Oyama.
    There are a few IKO's up here, I know that there are 6 world wide I think, but only 3 or 4 have reps here, I think.
    I don't follow kyokushin politics anymore.
    Add to those all the off-shoots and what a fine stew we have.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

human nature is to engage in politics, and martial arts are no exception. I've seen it in all the martial arts traditions but I have to say, after doing Korean, Japanese, Filipino and Chinese martial arts traditions, the Chinese still have the worst kind of politics. I think it is related to many features of the culture and history
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I was going to post something, but realized that it would stir up politics.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    That's me.

These "amateur sport fighters" are freaking really tough. Go enter a sanctioned, amateur MMA event in your area, see what happens and then report back.
    I'm thinking thats in the future for me, I just need some ground game. I'm going to start with judo pretty soon. After that I'll probably study some JJ.

we'll see where I take it though. I know I'll be competing in judo, at least thats my goal when I get there.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Kungfu politics sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I was going to post something, but realized that it would stir up politics.
    How 'Non-Chinese' of you. You should be ashamed.

yup I guess I didn't really expect anything different from my past experience but I guess you can't blame yourself for hoping.
    i still recall the disbelief I felt being told that something I had actually done, seen, heard, said - did not actually happen??? wth is with that????
    i recall being told stories or versions of past events and then had it verified from the source that they weren't true???
    and after rejoining the fray I see alot of jealousy driven campaigns to discredit others???
    so much bs. Where is the kung fu? where is the honour? the character and integrity?
    Too many shaw bro movies when I was a kid...

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by friday View Post
    so much bs. Where is the kung fu? where is the honour? the character and integrity?
    Too many shaw bro movies when I was a kid...
    No,Man. It is within you.
    You are the one who carries on the tradition, despite the small mindedness of others. Stand firm outside.

Choose your own peers.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

TT, Good point

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I'm thinking thats in the future for me, I just need some ground game. I'm going to start with judo pretty soon. After that I'll probably study some JJ.

we'll see where I take it though. I know I'll be competing in judo, at least thats my goal when I get there.

Good luck! And it's the best decision you'll make as a martial artist. Your conditioning, flow and perspective will all increase. It's beautiful to be able to go and train and truly test yourself against other guys who are also training and trying to throw you down and tap you. It's wonderful.

And since its new to me and I hate losing, I am mad inspired. So many talented players who have devoted their lives to Jodo and BJJ.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    No,Man. It is within you.
    You are the one who carries on the tradition, despite the small mindedness of others. Stand firm outside.

Choose your own peers.

That is a good point.