Thread: Questions about Praying Mantis

Zigar01 Guest

Questions about Praying Mantis

Hi everybody. I'm a former TKD student looking into getting into Kung Fu. There are a whole bunch of Kung Fu schools in my area and the closest to me is a Praying Mantis school (not sure what kind), and an 8 Step school not much ****her away. My question regards the kinds of techniques involved, I'm a bigger person (6' 260 lbs one of the reasons I want to get back into Martial arts is for excersise [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]) and to put it nicely, very clumsy. I was wondering about what the kinds of techniques involved stuff like kicks in the air, flips etc. and if I would have any difficulty learning/performing them. Thanks.
    Zigar0

8stepsifu Guest

The first thing in 8 Step

are body coordinations. These are designed to comprehensively devolop total body coordination before more complicated momements are learned. Size is a good thing in kung fu and everyone starts out clumsy, thats why we do body coordinations before throwing or kicking etc. There are no flips in 8 Step, but having a good base and leg strength are important and develop throughout your training. Judging by your size, I think these things will be second nature for you. Balance and relaxation are essential in kung fu and develp through the training. You won't be going into a sink or swim environment and everyone is trained at their own pace because people have higher aptitudes in different areas. BTW there are larger 8 Step students that do very well, and some of the Sifu's in 8 Step are former TKD blackbelts. I think that Sifu Cimino was very high ranking in Goju Ryu Karate before finding 8 Step, so he will be able to help you through that transition. Don't worry about kicking, kicking involves the whole body and isn't the only thing you can learn. Some 8 Step practitioners have fabulous kicks, while others specialize in throwing or joint locks, it's a very complete system with much to offer for everyone. If you like hand techniques, you will get lots of them,
    If you don't like high kicks, work on low licks or kicking blocks to avoid kicking altogether. The material is all there and it's yours to decide how you use it and what you specialize in. Good luc

8Step Sifu

Zigar01 Guest

Thanks

Thanks 8stepsifu for your info. I'm also looking into info/feedback to the other styles of Praying Mantis because there is a Praying Mantis school less then 3 miles from my home while the school that Sifu Cimino teaches at is almost 15 miles away and I'm not sure what style it teaches because I haven't had a chance to give them a call to ask yet and while I don't doubt that the school Sifu Cimino teaches at is bad only having to drive 3 miles is a heck of a lot easier than 15 [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]! Thanks again,
    Zigar01

8stepsifu Guest

Good, check out everything

If you need any other info on 8 Step check out www.8step.com
    And 15 miles extra might save you years of training because of the amount of material that is taught even at the lower level. If you are ready for the material, you get it. There is no mindless repetition for the sake of squeezing more tuition out of students. 8 Step was overly secretive and in danger of dying out and now the pendulum has swung in the other direction so it's the perfect time to start learning. Check both instructors for lineage and certification. Also try a class with each and see whose teaching style and curriculum you prefer. Most places will let you try a class or at least watch. Get a feel for the school and see whats right for you. Also understand that many people drive over an hour to come to class, so 15 miles is nothing. You may save the 15 minute drive everyday, but if the other school is secretive or doesn't have much to offer, you could actually be saving years or your time. Also, find out how far you can go in the system. Is there a point you can't go beyond? What is in your future if you train there. These are important things to consider before choosing a school

8Step Sifu

Arod1972 Guest

endurance?>

If you want a workout for endurance then i would recomend 8 steps. We would spend a good 1/2 hour on endurance and then move on to forms. its a tough workout.

I do not wish to fight.

8StepStudent Guest

15 Minutes...

Fifteen minutes is nothing. Trust me because I have driven from a half hour away for three years to go to the 8 Step school.

Taijimantis Guest

And for that matter...

When I go to my Tang Soo Do class, I drive from my home in GR to Chase Michigan, a hour and a half drive, one way!
    I dont go often, but I like to finish what I start.
    My Praying Mantis Sifu is only 15 minutes away.

Namaste.

Taijimantis Guest

Where are you by the way...

That you are fortunate enough to have a great number of Kung Fu schools.

In my town there are only two I know of and one Internal school teaching Pakua.

Just in case anyone wonders why I would in my right mind drive an hour and a half for a Tang Soo Do class, its because I used to live nearby and I want to finish the traiing I started there. (at least earn my first degree Blackbelt... mind you belts are of little interest to me)

jediman Guest

Wah Lum

Zigar01,
    I'm not that familiar with 8 Step, but I have been practicing Wah Lum for a while now. The one thing I found out in a quick way was that your legs are of primary importance from the get-go.

A lot of people join our class thinking they will be able to fly through because they can squat 400lbs. Not even close. Much of our core forms and exercises are designed to enrich your chi and strengthen your legs, ie Bai Fut Sow (buddah hand breathing). My advice for any northern mantis form is to stay strong through your first few weeks until your muscle memory kicks in. You will get past the soreness and awkwardness and really start enjoying yourself. Good Luck. Stick with it

NorthernMantis Guest
    yes, I too know the meaning of pain during bai fut sow.I agree with jediman join wah lum, it can be demanding but it's an awesome system.You can also join other praying mantis systems if wah lum pai is not your thing.I would suggest 7*,plumflower or 8 step.

"Always be ready"

nhbfighter_57069 Guest
    I currently take 8 step, Don't worry about the weight, when I started I will about 250-260 at 6'1" (right 8step sifu). I now fight at 199. Trusy me the weight will come of and when it goes so does the clumsyness. Plus, I am no kicking god either so I work alot on hands. Throw and stuff are fun as hell also. A backgroung in any other form never hurts.

xygie Guest

Cinamino

Does anyone need a copy of Cinamino's December 99' typed proposal for his personal agenda to create his own praying mantis kung fu system? How bout you 8stepsifu want a copy or should we just quote exerpts from it? :eek:

8stepsifu Guest

say what you want

Nobody takes you seriously anyways.

If your not bleeding, your not having enough fun.

xygie Guest

Let the blind see, and the deaf hear.

You only hear what you want to hear anyway. Ask Cinamino. Better yet, we'll send you a copy and you can go over it with him. :p