Thread: Combat Sport Training at the Ng Family Chinese Martial Arts Association

Combat Sport Training at the Ng Family Chinese Martial Arts Association

Instructor Alvin Chen working the mitts during a training session at the NFCMA headquarters in Chicago's Chinatown. Competing in full-contact sports requires a practitioner to adapt his/her fighting and training methods to best achieve victory within the context and environment of the said competition. This clip illustrates the adaptation of particular Choy Lay Fut techniques and concepts into the training regiment for a sport orientated format.

Hope you all enjoy this following clip (have more online) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uos7...e=channel_page

note - click on the small blue "watch in high quality" link right under the image-frame on the Youtube page to watch the clip with greater image clarity.

Have a very Merry X'mas and a super Happy New Year!

wow. havent seen you online in years. Welcome back straightblast 5
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

thanks eddie

Thanks Eddie, I've been on here once in a while to read up on some of the posts, and just now decided to post up a video of my kung-fu brother training Hope you've been well

-Phil

Blog Entries
    Hey Straightblast5. You know I got my first exposure to CMA/WC at ISR back in '96.

At any rate this is an interesting clip. I had a question. When he executes Sow he strikes towards the torso. I'm assuming that this would be directed against the floating ribs. Why not us Biu against this same target?

AH
    Last edited by Askari Hodari; 12-26-2008 at 04:08 PM.
    Stop posting and start training.

Actually it's a pow chue (long upper) to the mid-torso (or the middle gate), and according to the gate theory (creating openings in the opponent's defense through attacking one section of your opponent's body to open up the defenses of another part), an attack to a lower gate (like that of a pow chue) is usually followed by a kup chue or a sau chue. So we work that with proper footwork to deliver those techniques as efficiently as possible.

A biu would work also, but the structure of the technique might compromise your position to immediately land another power shot (i.e a pow or a sau) in competition, since gloves (as required in these types of competitions) limits the penetration of a regularly exposed fist and to a certain degree, a bit of fine motor-control. Competing in full contact sports requires certain adaptations to be made, and this is one of them. Long as the core principles are intact, it's still CLF

And it's nice to see fellow UIUC alumni here! Hope you're doing well

-Phil
    Last edited by straightblast5; 12-26-2008 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by straightblast5 View Post
    Instructor Alvin Chen working the mitts during a training session at the NFCMA headquarters in Chicago's Chinatown. Competing in full-contact sports requires a practitioner to adapt his/her fighting and training methods to best achieve victory within the context and environment of the said competition. This clip illustrates the adaptation of particular Choy Lay Fut techniques and concepts into the training regiment for a sport orientated format.

Hope you all enjoy this following clip (have more online) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uos7...e=channel_page

note - click on the small blue "watch in high quality" link right under the image-frame on the Youtube page to watch the clip with greater image clarity.

Have a very Merry X'mas and a super Happy New Year!
    Nice clip! Good work!

One of the most enjoyable and rewarding things in one's practice is in the modification of techniques and their application to different ways of training with different types of equipment.
    A unique snowflake

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Actually it's a pow chue (long upper) to the mid-torso (or the middle gate), and according to the gate theory (creating openings in the opponent's defense through attacking one section of your opponent's body to open up the defenses of another part), an attack to a lower gate (like that of a pow chue) is usually followed by a kup chue or a sau chue. So we work that with proper footwork to deliver those techniques as efficiently as possible.

A biu would work also, but the structure of the technique might compromise your position to immediately land another power shot (i.e a pow or a sau) in competition, since gloves (as required in these types of competitions) limits the penetration of a regularly exposed fist and to a certain degree, a bit of fine motor-control. Competing in full contact sports requires certain adaptations to be made, and this is one of them. Long as the core principles are intact, it's still CLF

-Phil
    Hey thanks Phil.

I looked a second time. I did see the application of pow the 2nd time. Also, after reading your reply I did sequence in the air, using biu on a lower gate target and saw how difficult it would be to follow-up from there. Thanks.

Good luck with your career!

AH
    Stop posting and start training.

-Phil
    Cool, thanks for sharing.