Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: warner bros gets rights to ninja scroll

warner bros gets rights to ninja scroll

not much info yet other then what the title says. i do know from source that its planned to be rated R. so warners is not gonna put to much coin into it. but with warners and there hands off policy (depending on the director/producer ofcourse) i'm sure this film will put kill bill to sleep. i also heard they're out to the wachowski's(hope they don't get it) yuen woo ping and a few others. the most far fetched but the one i secretly hope is true is that donnie yen might play jubei. my source is credible but you never know. hollywood is calling to donnie now, disney wants to use him alongside zhang jiyi in a live action mulan. they also want johnnie to to direct which is weird cause mulan is so not a johnnie to film. more as this develops

Johnny To directing Mulan?

That would work for me if it wasn't for Disney. While I enjoyed the Disney version, there's so much more to the Hua Mulan myth that could be exploited in the hands of talent like To. What ever became of Snow and the Seven?

Nice scuttlebutt, Doug.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

yeah

This thing is abuzz in some anime forums.

READ ME PLEASE

It's hard to know what to think.
    The anime is way beyond an R level rating. I just hope they don't butcher it.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

of course its an NC-17 movie

but you know warners is not in the business of making movies that don't make money. so we gonna have to settle with an R rating and a un rated dvd, you'd be surprised how much you can get away with an R rating, as long as they don't curse up a storm we should get alot of blood and guts and nudity like the anime has, look at batman that movie was rated pg 13 and so was iron man you know why? no cursing, and the body count was low, although this is going to have a high body count and blood galore, if kill bill did it so will ninja scroll. small update seems that wachowski's are in the dog house with warner's after speed racer, so hopefully they won't get it, while i loved loved loved the matrix(part one and most of two) i'm just not toally sold on them, matrix three and now speed racer has put them in doubt. and now i hear tekashi miike is also on the short list, now if he directs this movie is going to be hands down f ucking amazing.

I'd think the only thing they couldn't get away with and maintain an R rating is how the kunoichi babe is constantly getting raped by the evil demon ninjas.

Jubei Nin Pocho

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    but you know warners is not in the business of making movies that don't make money. so we gonna have to settle with an R rating and a un rated dvd, you'd be surprised how much you can get away with an R rating, as long as they don't curse up a storm we should get alot of blood and guts and nudity like the anime has, look at batman that movie was rated pg 13 and so was iron man you know why? no cursing, and the body count was low, although this is going to have a high body count and blood galore, if kill bill did it so will ninja scroll. small update seems that wachowski's are in the dog house with warner's after speed racer, so hopefully they won't get it, while i loved loved loved the matrix(part one and most of two) i'm just not toally sold on them, matrix three and now speed racer has put them in doubt. and now i hear tekashi miike is also on the short list, now if he directs this movie is going to be hands down f ucking amazing.
    Yeah, the anime is rated above R, by the standards of MPAA.

Doing a live action is a different ball game. On the one hand, you would hope that they would be faithful with the story. At best, it will probably be a PG-13 rendition. R rating may or may not happen. I am not in the know how about the intricacies of licensing and adaptations.

I can agree that Warner Bros. is in the business of making money, as is every other movie house/company. So, let's look at it this way. The anime and manga are well-known by anime fans. However, anime fans in general represent a small percentage of the population, as compared to the Hollywood movie fan base. If they were going to go about this, wouldn't they try to appeal to everyone?

In going about this, a PG-13 version of the movie would be able to reach a wider audience than an R rated one. Sure, the purists and anime fandom community would lash out but box office returns may offer a good buffer since you know all the anime fans will shell out for this one. That is a given. Then you have average movie watcher who may or may not have heard of Ninja Scroll. Lump in the teens and those under 17 who are able to get in, and you have a box office success.

You analogy to Kill Bill (I believe you were referring to the first one) actually makes a good point. I think that movie though, had a different focus. Tarantino, it seemed, was paying homage to different genres that he grew up with. Yeah, there was blood and limb decaps but it was nothing anyone could take seriously in my opinion. The only thing that made me wince was the parts of when Uma was pregnant.

I have no doubt as to how much you can pack into an R rated movie. Dark Knight looked like it could have been R but Iron Man not so much. That is just my personal opinion on the matter.

Matrix 3 was so long ago and Speed Racer was very recent. It seems Hollywood is very unforgiving when movies don't make it.

The American movie market has such strict rules about what is shown, that a true adaptation of the anime that we are all familiar with doesn't look to be on the horizon. The Japanese movie Shinobi: Heart Under Blade, was based upon the anime Basilisk, which was all based upon the novel that influenced Ninja Scroll. That was a great movie and not a bad adaptation. Ninja Scroll's content has some serious things that may not get past the censors that you know more about than others.

If Miike has a hand in it and it is made as a Japanese production, it will probably come out better. The US anime to live action adaptations don't seem to go so well.

*Even now, there is a lot of outcry about the new DBZ movie**

Just some opinion and conjecture. I know you'll keep us in the loop Doug.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

Kagero

Quote Originally Posted by Zenshiite View Post
    I'd think the only thing they couldn't get away with and maintain an R rating is how the kunoichi babe is constantly getting raped by the evil demon ninjas.
    Kagero is violated two very distinct times and each time is very graphic...
    That will be one big hurdle because aside from all the other action, those scenese are what a lot of people think of when Ninja Scroll is mentioned (good or bad is relative I guess).
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

like i said acording to my sources which have bnever steered me wrong in the warners camp(i won a film contest to interned there in high school and still have good relations with alot of people who work there) and its going to be R rated do to the fact that all the movies fans are of the over 17 group. even r rated its gonna do big numbers i'm sure. its like Dragon Ball which has a horrible teaser trailer it looks like the worst thing ever, but that film is aimed at kids basically. movies like this and fox's upcoming cowboy bebop film in 2011 will be aimed at older teens and adults.

speaking of live action anime...

Ninja Scroll is up next.

This is one of my all time favorites. Lets hope its at least, O.K.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

If it doesn't get an "R" rating in Canada and "NC-17" in the USA they did it wrong.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

In the words of Napoleon Dynamine:

"f-in Sweet!"

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    If it doesn't get an "R" rating in Canada and "NC-17" in the USA they did it wrong.
    I totally agree.

wow dude your late

yea thats pretty old news i already posted with some indsider info as to possible directors , stars and the such. warners buys rights to ninja scroll thats why you do a search before you post.

oh dang, my bad.

It was a spur of the moment thing from the recent post in the Miike thread.

I only just found out. Man thats what I get for not doing a search.

Maybe Gene can do a merge?

Sorry guys.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

i knew this subject sounded familiar.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)