Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9 Ring Broadsword

9 Ring Broadsword

What are the rings used for on the Nine Ring Broadsword?
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

scaring bugs, tying colourful flags, making one man sound like 10, destroying evil....
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    What are the rings used for on the Nine Ring Broadsword?
    We talked about this a few years ago. There is a group who thinks the rings are used to damage/intertwine the opponents weapon, and a group who thinks the rings were for making noise/demonstration purposes.

I don't think there was a general consensus on the actual useage.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    We talked about this a few years ago. There is a group who thinks the rings are used to damage/intertwine the opponents weapon, and a group who thinks the rings were for making noise/demonstration purposes.

I don't think there was a general consensus on the actual useage.
    I was in the "damage opponents weapon and added weight for more bashing power" group.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Could the rings be used to slow down the trajectory of an opponents blade when you a blocking. It would seem that it would prevent a sword from sliding down the length of the broadsword's spine. Just speculating....
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

We did discuss this...

...I just did a cursory search but didn't find it. I'll keep looking. My search fu is off today.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

i dunno about you guys, but unless I'm parrying, I ain't attacking the other guys weapon.

piece of metal will still damage you even if it scrapes up against a couple of rings.

they are useless for entanglement and it is highly unlikely they are for that.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Could the rings be used to slow down the trajectory of an opponents blade when you a blocking. It would seem that it would prevent a sword from sliding down the length of the broadsword's spine. Just speculating....
    thats exactly what i was taught the purpose of them to be.

entangling any sort of weapon in/on them is impossible, obviously, the rings are to small.

when doing a downward circular block against a forward thrust for example, the rings add some traction aiding you in redirecting the opponents weapon. then you continue the circle and come back down on your opponent's hand/wrist/arm/shoulder/neck/etc..

thats the most common technique with this type of sword. i've also learned it with a double-handed broadsword which has a huge blade and rings down the spine as well.

I thought maybe it it had a "pleasure rib" effect on withdrawal from penetration

It would seem, no one knows? Like why do black people prefer Menthol Cigarets?
    No one knows?
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

its mostly a hacking weapon. the straight thrusts dont penetrate deeply. look at the shape of the tip. it doesnt enter all the way up to the rings.

A bronze "dadao" or broad sword dating to the Shang dynasty (1600-1100 B.C.) The weapon is 28.5 cm in length and 3.5 cm in width with three sockets or perforations along the dorsal edge and 16 ornamental studs placed longitudinally along the blade. The weapon would have been attached to a wooden pole via these perforations and is one of the rarest types of Shang dynasty weapons. This particular weapon has sections of bronze showing a nice golden hue while other sections show a distinct green malachite patina. There are wood fibers embedded in the corrosion in each of the three sockets that are remnants of the original pole. (For a similar reference see Hong, Yang : "Weapons in Ancient China" pp. 52-54 and color fig. 11)
    decorative, ornamental etc etc.

functionally speaking there is not a lot of use for the rings and if there was, why would it not be true of the many other permutations of this blade shape?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...I just did a cursory search but didn't find it. I'll keep looking. My search fu is off today.
    Gene, do a search for my threads. I think it was one of mine and I probably deleted it, but you should still be able to see it. If only I had moderator access on the main forum, I could do it myself....
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Here is a picture of my eerrrrr 8 ring sword http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ageID=33360409
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

decorative, ornamental etc etc.

functionally speaking there is not a lot of use for the rings and if there was, why would it not be true of the many other permutations of this blade shape?
    Good one David!
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

Greetings,

I meditated on this and received the following answer:

The rings were, at one time, weighted so as to give extra chopping power from the broadsword in a way that could only otherwise possible by making the entire blade heavy, as with the Kwan Dao. So with the nine rings you have the cutting power with the additional component of speed.

mickey