Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gene where would you recommend training in china?

Someone mentioned taking a protein shake with. I think if you going to train anywhere in china, this is probably the best advice to take. Last year April I was with a group of Foreigners from all over the world doing an international san shou instructors course in wuhan, and nearly everyone eventually went out to buy some protein shakes. Chinese food usually consist of loads of carbohydrates and very little protein. Probably ok for smaller Chinese body types, but for the bigger westerners I suppose a supplement could be welcome.
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

I never found any shortage of protien in food when I lived in Xi'an, or when travelling to various parts of the country.

If you really work out and focus on muscle endurance etc, you need about 2 grams of protein for every kilogram of body weight you have. So a man that weighs around 100kilos, would need about 200 grams of protein a day. Even in the usa, that’s a pretty tall order unless you really look out for that sort of thing.

Off course, this is just advice, never meant it in any negative way or anything against training in china. Im a vegetarian living in china, so its particularly hard for me (theres always some kind of meat soup in the food), but I know many athletes who struggle to get the right nutrition from the food you buy around here.
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

Walnut milk

Walnut and almond milk is available in cans throughout China. It's high in protein and easily digestible, perfect for hardcore training as long as you don't have a nut allergy. I used to live on that stuff at Shaolin, that and Jinlibao.

There's actually quite a lot of meat to be had too. It's just most Americans don't have the stomach for real meat. If it's not a Mcburger or nugget or something, if it's got a head or tendons or tripe, a lot of Americans wimp out. Back when I was eating meat, I was really impressed by the meats in China. It's gamier, for sure, but far more satisfying to me.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I think I consumed my own body weight in Yak meat over two weeks in Tibet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kansuke View Post
    I think I consumed my own body weight in Yak meat over two weeks in Tibet.
    Yeah and depending on where you were, the altitude really takes a toll on you. The fatty food helps immensely. Yak meat wasn't plentiful at the temple I was at because it was so high in the mountains, the few yaks that were there were for milking. I quickly acquired a taste for that yak butter tea they drink. It's way salty but my body was elated everytime I drank it.

Did you try any other meat when you were there? We had a 'feast' with some monks there and they brought out a goat that looked like someone had shaved all the hair off it and just straight up boiled it. It was freaky looking with its jellied looking skin. Everyone was just ripping pieces off, but I swear it wasn't cooked. I politedly forced a few pieces down and hid a few more in my robe (thinking I could cook it later). Another day I went down to the village and had them cook a chicken and it had the same problem. It seemed like the more they cooked it, the more raw it got. I watched them cooking it so I know it technically was on the fire long enough, but I guess something about the altitude makes both the animal itself and the cooking of said animal completely different.

Tried everything I could get my hands on! Ate pretty well. I did see a lot of the other foreigners bite the dust as soon as they hit the atmosphere.

Shaolin Kung Fu School

Hi,

I'm looking for a school that takes western students to learn and master the martial art of Shaolin Kung Fu.
    Does annybody know some good schools in China, meaby Japan.
    My meaning is really to deticate myself, so please serious ansers.

Thank you and greets.

for shaolin in china, i would only recommend two schools presently.

that of master shi deyang, and that of master shi decheng.

they are well-known, highly respected, and most importantly- honest.

Wreakage, I'm merging this thread.

You're new here. Next time, search before posting.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

clearly you were in the fake tibet.

sorry, couldn't resist.