Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gene where would you recommend training in china?

Gene where would you recommend training in china?

Gene where would you recommend training in china?

well speaking for myself, Shi De Yang would be my first choice if I was going to China.

i of course second that.

http://shideyang.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    i of course second that.

http://shideyang.com/

Thanks for the link! Have you trained with Shi de yang? Can you tell me about the training?

yes I've trained with him a couple of times, but not formally or over a long period of time, so LFJ would be the better person to fill you in if those are the details you are looking at.

I've heard some people say they think a familiarity with Mandarin will open up a much deeper understanding if you train with him, but I consider him to be a very good Ch'an shifu, and the thing is mind to mind and heart to heart is sometimes best delivered without spoken words.

I guess it depends on what kind of experience you want. But 6th patriarch got the robe and bowl by not speaking. Wouldn't it have been a trip if the girl had won.

there was another thread or two on his school. i posted some information there as well, but i'm having trouble with the search function.

basically, the school has around 100-200 resident students. the classes are divided into age groups and levels and taught by personal disciples of master deyang. when master deyang is there he will also teach. sometimes you may have to speak up if you want to study with him personally, otherwise he'll assume you are content learning from his coaches, who are all excellent in their own right.

but thats where the importance of language comes into play. shi xingfei, the coach who usually takes the foreigners (although you'll be tossed in with the other chinese students), speaks some english. but mr. sloan brings up a very important point. just the experience will teach you a lot. without words you just have to be more observant.

staying in a nearby hotel and eating outside (very cheap) is advised. you may not be used to the living quarters, "toilets", and the food may not agree with your body's bacteria. but if you are hardcore and want to really experience shaolin culture, go for it. its actually not that bad if you leave the western comforts behind, lol. last time i took a blender and protein powder though.

the training, whether directly with master deyang or with his disciples, is absolute tops as far as i'm concerned. you can study traditional or modern wushu, qigong, sanda... and of course chan buddhism.

and on top of this, the price for the value is a steal. i've never paid the low price they ask for. i would feel so guilty. they even offer to have the cooks buy and cook things you want to make you comfortable there. they really go out of their way with what little they have.

if you have any other specific questions, ask away.

here is the schedule i posted in the other thread. they've made everything 5 or 10 mins later since then though:

there are six training periods per day each an hour and 10 mins long, most with only 20 mins break in between.

morning:
    5:00am; wake up
    5:20- 6:30; morning session (very intense conditioning)
    6:50am; breakfast

8:00am; warm-up
    8:20- 9:30; session 1 (stretching, forms and whatnot)
    9:50- 11:00; session 2
    11:20am; lunch
    11:55am; noon break

afternoon:
    3:00pm; warm up
    3:20- 4:30; session 1
    4:50- 6:00; session 2
    6:20; supper

evening:
    7:00pm; warm up
    7:20- 8:30; evening session

sleep by 9:00pm.

^ wow, thats sound dope too!

id bet he'd reccomend this one too:

http://www.sdcshaolin-kungfu.com/fil...1624508106.htm

yes, of course gene's master decheng. my top two choices.

Quote Originally Posted by richard sloan View Post
    yes I've trained with him a couple of times, but not formally or over a long period of time, so LFJ would be the better person to fill you in if those are the details you are looking at.

I've heard some people say they think a familiarity with Mandarin will open up a much deeper understanding if you train with him, but I consider him to be a very good Ch'an shifu, and the thing is mind to mind and heart to heart is sometimes best delivered without spoken words.

I guess it depends on what kind of experience you want. But 6th patriarch got the robe and bowl by not speaking. Wouldn't it have been a trip if the girl had won.

Thanks forthe review!

Quote Originally Posted by Cimaroon View Post
    ^ wow, thats sound dope too!

id bet he'd reccomend this one too:

http://www.sdcshaolin-kungfu.com/fil...1624508106.htm
    Nice web site! Is his training times around the same? How much is he a month?

China is a huge place

So I assume by this that we're talking about Shaolin, not all of China. And sure, I'd recommend my shifu, Shi Decheng, first (good call Cimaroon!) Deyang's school is great too. My only hesitation there is that it's a much larger school so it may be more difficult to get attention. Decheng opened a facility just for foreigners (meaning improved amenities like sit-down toilets) we covered it in the last two Shaolin specials.
    See the following articles:

Dengfeng City Expansion: Shaolin’s Neighbor Continues to Grow By Salvador Redner
    2007 November/December

What's New in Dengfeng 2008 By Scott Jeffery
    2009 January/February ON THE NEWSSTANDS NOW
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Hey Ktkungfu,

Have you ever considered traveling or training with the monks in the US? It would give you a good idea what kind of training is involved considering if you don't already train with any of them here or live outside the US. Just a suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Songshan View Post
    Hey Ktkungfu,

Have you ever considered traveling or training with the monks in the US? It would give you a good idea what kind of training is involved considering if you don't already train with any of them here or live outside the US. Just a suggestion
    I second that. Depending on how much time you are planing to spend, I'd recommend that if you are going to spend a couple of weeks training versus a longer term stay, you could contact one the monks here in the US and ask if they can accomodate a Shaolin experience. I bet most would work with you. Essentially you'd be getting private classes throughout the day and probably participate with the regular school curriculum at night (however many sessions they have). Most of the monks I've met are very happy by enthusiastic students who want to apply themselves more.

Quote Originally Posted by DeHui702 View Post
    I second that. Depending on how much time you are planing to spend, I'd recommend that if you are going to spend a couple of weeks training versus a longer term stay, you could contact one the monks here in the US and ask if they can accomodate a Shaolin experience. I bet most would work with you. Essentially you'd be getting private classes throughout the day and probably participate with the regular school curriculum at night (however many sessions they have). Most of the monks I've met are very happy by enthusiastic students who want to apply themselves more.

I was thinking that or going to boxing again.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    So I assume by this that we're talking about Shaolin, not all of China. And sure, I'd recommend my shifu, Shi Decheng, first (good call Cimaroon!) Deyang's school is great too. My only hesitation there is that it's a much larger school so it may be more difficult to get attention. Decheng opened a facility just for foreigners (meaning improved amenities like sit-down toilets) we covered it in the last two Shaolin specials.
    See the following articles:

Dengfeng City Expansion: Shaolin’s Neighbor Continues to Grow By Salvador Redner
    2007 November/December

What's New in Dengfeng 2008 By Scott Jeffery
    2009 January/February ON THE NEWSSTANDS NOW

thanks for the link!