Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Be Honest

Be Honest

Will you train more, less, or the same in 2009 that you did in 2008?

I am determined to squeeze in a few more hours per week this year because the big 4-0 is knocking on the door, but in reality it may be hard to do because a little fella just joined us.

More for sure. Though I've been on my a$$ the past two weeks with a busted foot.

I HOPE that I will be able to train more, but with 2 kids and a really F'ed schedule that makes the only training time possible be 5 AM to 6:30 Am, I don't think so.
    I still put in 5 days a week at best, though it tends to be more like 3.
    The fact is, with no gyms open, I am stuck with solo training, except for Saturdays.
    So, right now, its:
    Solo MA:
    Monday to Friday in which I do one day striking, one day knife work, one day stick work and so forth and then grappling/sparring on Saturdays.
    Sucks, but it is what it is.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I HOPE that I will be able to train more, but with 2 kids and a really F'ed schedule that makes the only training time possible be 5 AM to 6:30 Am, I don't think so.
    I still put in 5 days a week at best, though it tends to be more like 3.
    The fact is, with no gyms open, I am stuck with solo training, except for Saturdays.
    So, right now, its:
    Solo MA:
    Monday to Friday in which I do one day striking, one day knife work, one day stick work and so forth and then grappling/sparring on Saturdays.
    Sucks, but it is what it is.
    You've said this before, but we're one in the same. I'll join in on your solo-training camp from afar!

I train Wing Chun once weekly committed and then get in a run once a week. With my 2 munchkins, my own business (like Sanjuro), etc, etc...it's tough sometimes to get in a workout. Sometimes in the evenings I end up doing some pushups with my son on my back and my daughter trying to pull at my arm to stand up! But...I wouldn't trade it for the world and my crazy fitness ways are catching on. My son has even started emulating the first and second section of Siu Nim Tao (he's 2.5).

Will I train more in 2009 than 2008? Yes. I've mixed my work schedule up so that I can train twice weekly starting this Friday!
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Quote Originally Posted by couch View Post
    You've said this before, but we're one in the same. I'll join in on your solo-training camp from afar!

I train Wing Chun once weekly committed and then get in a run once a week. With my 2 munchkins, my own business (like Sanjuro), etc, etc...it's tough sometimes to get in a workout. Sometimes in the evenings I end up doing some pushups with my son on my back and my daughter trying to pull at my arm to stand up! But...I wouldn't trade it for the world and my crazy fitness ways are catching on. My son has even started emulating the first and second section of Siu Nim Tao (he's 2.5).

Will I train more in 2009 than 2008? Yes. I've mixed my work schedule up so that I can train twice weekly starting this Friday!
    Every so often I get my eldest, she is gonna be 6, to hit me with sticks and such, as part of conditoning, and it helps her work on her stick work.
    She seems to enjoy it a bit too much....

Every so often I get my eldest, she is gonna be 6, to hit me with sticks and such, as part of conditoning, and it helps her work on her stick work.
    She seems to enjoy it a bit too much....
    LOL My son likes to say, "Punch daddy" and then proceeds to chain punch me to death. I think it's great, but then he says "Punch Mommy" & "Punch Abby." That's not good.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Quote Originally Posted by couch View Post
    LOL My son likes to say, "Punch daddy" and then proceeds to chain punch me to death. I think it's great, but then he says "Punch Mommy" & "Punch Abby." That's not good.
    LOL !
    True, that is the downside, luckly Sofia is old enough to know that beating on Daddy with sticks is ok, so is elbowing him in the fave and kneeing him in the stomach, but only on daddy.
    Marisa on the other hand, has no issues with grabbing a wooden spoon and hiting mommy on the butt.

same.

I'm old and stuck in a routine. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Trying for more.

If my broke ass doesn't get less broke it may be more simply because of having f-all to do other than train.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I just got back into running after a few months lay-off. I am trying to get up earlier, which is hard, as I usually can't get to sleep before 2:30 am. Trying to change my circadian rhythm, so I can be out the door and on the track by 8ish.

I am also working more lien gung-as my SPM teacher said, he was going to start really working on the developmental aspects-drills,lien gung, less forms.

I started duck walks and squat hops this week-ouch.

weight training is with lighter weights, just for maintenance for shoulder,back and knee injuries, not for size or power, as it interferes with my SPM power generation training.

By popular demand, my seniors have asked me to do the "Kicks from He11" workout, twice a week. This was from my old TKD school notebook, and consisted of a drill called sa bum chuk (?) anyway, it was a series of around 15 kicking combos done in 4 directions, we do it across the floor. It's a great workout, really opens up the hips,and makes kicking very natural-as you are doing so many different variations.
    (My fave is,"Shuffle front kick (teep), jab, cross, uppercut, hook off the uppercut, step foward back hook kick")

I need to step up my flexability and yoga-I need to get back that effortless feeling of movement I had as a kid.
    WTF happened? I get up and I have a backache."oh, I must have slept wrong."
    "SLEPT WRONG??" how da fuk do you sleep ...wrong?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I'm aiming for more. 08 was pretty relaxed for me. went into 08 with a really lame injury, and went in and out of a few schools looking for a new place to train. Nothing seemed to fit right for me that I tried out. I'm thinking obukan judo will be a great fit though.

re-amping my cardio and conditioning. getting preped while i settle my finances through the holiday season.

Also have a couple guys asking me to train them. I've been reluctant, but now I think Ill have them come over and work with them. they get free instuction and I get partners to work with at home.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

unless i get fired martial arts training will remain at 0. because im in school all day, i work every weeknight until 9pm, and every saturday until 6pm. there simply are no classes available to me around this schedule. however, i get to work a lot of those hours from home. this allows me to keep up on both work and school full time while not being a stranger to my family, so i can't really rock the boat.

i might start hitting the bag or something, but i caught the jiujitsu bug and its hard to practice grappling by yourself.

i do lift religiously though. this will not change. if anything i might force myself to lift less which wont be easy. maybe play with off periods every 6 - 8 weeks to enhance recovery.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post
    unless i get fired martial arts training will remain at 0. because im in school all day, i work every weeknight until 9pm, and every saturday until 6pm. there simply are no classes available to me around this schedule. however, i get to work a lot of those hours from home. this allows me to keep up on both work and school full time while not being a stranger to my family, so i can't really rock the boat.

i might start hitting the bag or something, but i caught the jiujitsu bug and its hard to practice grappling by yourself.

i do lift religiously though. this will not change. if anything i might force myself to lift less which wont be easy. maybe play with off periods every 6 - 8 weeks to enhance recovery.
    i feel you here. ive just been spending my time in front of my heavy bag, or with my weights since i started that lifting program. my fingers are feeling the pullups sanjuro told me about with the cloth finger grip for gi practice. my neighbors certifiably hate me now I think. above and on both sides (apartment) fug em!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    i feel you here. ive just been spending my time in front of my heavy bag, or with my weights since i started that lifting program. my fingers are feeling the pullups sanjuro told me about with the cloth finger grip for gi practice. my neighbors certifiably hate me now I think. above and on both sides (apartment) fug em!
    To add to those grip pull-ups, you can wrap up weights in your gi and lift them and move them as such to work your grip that way also.

To add to those grip pull-ups, you can wrap up weights in your gi and lift them and move them as such to work your grip that way also.
    sweet!

im going kind of ghetto. i dont actually have a gi, so im using a rough towel. but sweet deal, and thanks again for the ideas. im just waiting for my sign up to buy a gi.

do you suppose i could do my rows with this and just skip using the bar?