Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ot: german names for protector or baby

ot: german names for protector or baby

my sister recently acquired a german shepherd and since he was trained in german she was wanting me to look up german names for either "protector" or "baby" since he wines a lot.

i personally recommended german for "lover of peanutbutter" but she wouldnt go for it.
    where's my beer?

i found the following on an online translator, but have no idea how to pronounce them, or how closely the translate to the original english word.

protector:

1. Beschützer
    2. Schoner
    3. Vogt
    4. Schutz

baby:

1. Kind
    2. Baby
    3. Säugling
    4. Kleine
    5. Puppe
    6. Mieze
    7. Junges
    8. Pikkolo [Scherzh.]
    9. Schätzchen
    10. Schatz
    where's my beer?

lover of peanut butter is Liebhaber von Erdnussbutter
    where's my beer?

My Daschund is named "Baron Chopper von Hossenpheffer III." There is no I or II, I just liked the sound of "the third."
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post
    1. Beschützer
    ...could work, but actually mean protect as in protect from the rain

3. Vogt
    .... is more military see funker vogt

baby:

1. Kind
    ... means child
    10. Schatz ... would rather call my wife schatzy than my dog. More like a pet name like honey.
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

Baby in Deutsch is Baby.

Why not name it "Polizei"?
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

actually, Beschützer is fine for protector - the verb is beschützen, meaning to protect, guard, shield, shelter, screen (hence the possible rain-related meaning); you can also say Protektor...

the pronunciation is a bit tricky, specifically the "ü" - there is no comparable sound in English; here's a link: http://www.dict.cc/?s=beschützer - but it's not perfect, as it's obviously a synthesized voice...

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    actually, Beschützer is fine for protector - the verb is beschützen, meaning to protect, guard, shield, shelter, screen (hence the possible rain-related meaning); you can also say Protektor...

the pronunciation is a bit tricky, specifically the "ü" - there is no comparable sound in English; here's a link: http://www.dict.cc/?s=beschützer - but it's not perfect, as it's obviously a synthesized voice...

I was taught that you make your mouth an "o" when you say u as in "do". But yeah...there's nothing in English like it.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I think petseleh is a good name. it means young warrior, from the young Valkeries, who were trained as warriors since a very young age, and were known for their ferocity...or something.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    Shelter is the word I was looking for, which is closest to the german translation.
    得 心 應 手

see . . . i knew i came to the right place. you guyz is well rounded and what not.
    where's my beer?

You should look into Schutzhund Training for your new dog, and dont allow him to get some silly name like baby!

While you have been fooling around weightlifting the last couple years, I have been training my two dogs using Schutzhund methods!

strike!

Quote Originally Posted by yenhoi View Post
    ....Schutzhund

theres a name for you right there. Roughly ... guard dog.
    得 心 應 手

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    theres a name for you right there. Roughly ... guard dog.
    yeah, second that - it's perfect; in fact, I'm going to rename my dog today!

Quote Originally Posted by yenhoi View Post
    You should look into Schutzhund Training for your new dog, and dont allow him to get some silly name like baby!

While you have been fooling around weightlifting the last couple years, I have been training my two dogs using Schutzhund methods!

dude . . . my dog is a black shepherd named satan. i'd never let someone name a male shepherd living under my roof "baby." i thought you thunk more of me than that. the dog in question is my sisters, and she's going to name him what she wants - though currently his name is brutus, which i think is fine. my uncle gave brutus to my sister already trained. it might have just been some general obedience training, but the dude is pretty serious about his sheps.

also, i trained satan for a while and looked into shutzhund training, but once i went back to school time constraints became too much. i used a book by adam catz called "secrets of a professional dog trainer, and it worked well. unfortunately hes not nearly as close to 100% as he used to be, but i can get him back there if i start working with him again. he'll hold a stay with food between his paws and what not, but he doesn't always come immediately when off leash - sometimes it takes a few calls, and it should only take one.
    where's my beer?