Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New book on Chung Moo Quan/Ooom Yung Doe

New book on Chung Moo Quan/Ooom Yung Doe

Hello!!
    There is a really good real life book about life inside the Martial arts cult of Chung moo Quan/Oom Yung Doe.

Excellent stories about how messed up it was for the inner cult members, and the Iron Fist controll John C kim had over his followers.

This is something that is a must read for any martial artist!!

PS, Gene any chance you would be willing to carry this book on martial arts mart?

Just type "Herding the Moo" into the search engine.

www.trafford.com
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Bump.............................................. .................................................. ............................
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I was in that for about 3 years. I'm going to try to find the book as it should prove interesting.

This whole concept about CMQ/CMD being a cult; has that happened with other styles? or just them?
    Always learning

Go to www.trafford.com

Just type "Herding the Moo" into the search engine.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Yeah sorry for not responding. Basically I didn't want to say yet another negative thing on the forum.

But anybody who couldn't tell within 5 minutes that OYD was a cult has got to be pitifully ignorant.

Spending over $20 for a book about a cult seems IMHO to be a complete waste of $$$. I mean, I'd rather spend $11 for Sifu Starr's Yiliquan book except I'm not going to buy that one either.

Who the heck cares about some martial arts cult or somebody's experience with their teacher? It's not like one person's life is somehow more significant than anothers.

Then don't buy it.

I would be willing to bet those in the Chicago community, who delt with these dolts for 20 years or so before they all went to jail would enjoy a solid first hand account of what went on inside that group though.

It's a fascinateing tale, and to be honest, I am waiting for there to be a movie.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by neilhytholt
    Yeah sorry for not responding. Basically I didn't want to say yet another negative thing on the forum.

But anybody who couldn't tell within 5 minutes that OYD was a cult has got to be pitifully ignorant.

Spending over $20 for a book about a cult seems IMHO to be a complete waste of $$$. I mean, I'd rather spend $11 for Sifu Starr's Yiliquan book except I'm not going to buy that one either.

Who the heck cares about some martial arts cult or somebody's experience with their teacher? It's not like one person's life is somehow more significant than anothers.
    Who the heck cares about the Manson Family? Who the heck cares about the Pelopennisian War? People buy books about random subjects all the time. It's really not that strange. I might just check the book out, despite (or perhaps because) of my lack of knowledge about the subject. I'm just naturally curious like that.
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

I'm reading the book now. It's fascinating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by neilhytholt

Or at a messed up point in their lives, more often than ignorant. Or a bit of both.

It's also worthy of note that the height of the scam was before the internet being a common means for information gathering. Not to mention that back then, eastern martial arts literature of any decent quality in english was not carried in most bookstores.

I wouldn't agree with it being outright stupidity; willful ignorance is more accurate, imo. It's good to know what it takes for extreme nutcases to gain influence over fairly large groups of people nowadays.

I went there in 1999. They claimed to teach all these martial arts, then they had about 10 guys 'seniors' who not only couldn't move well but did the hard sell on me, trying to set me up with a long-term contract.

They had a picture of some guy they claimed was jumping from a 30-story building. All it showed, though, was a guy and a rooftop. Right! That's a hoot and a holler. So I figured that they were brain-dead dolts.

Plus, I don't do contracts, so I said no. Anyways, come to find out a few years later that they were a cult. Go figure! Well they had all the signs of being a cult. Who else would believe about some guy jumping from a 30 story building?

Anyways I shouldn't be on here anymore. Takes too much time away from the kids.

Basically they used to ease the whole jump thing in slowly. Back in the day, they said it was a building to building jump. Later when you were much more indoctrinated, they would say it was 5 to 8 stories, to the ground.

For the Women:

+ = & a

do they reveal the secrets of the bean bag toss and sack race training?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Possibly, but you have to buy the book to findout!

For the Women:

+ = & a

pass. I've seen that stuff already and know what time it is with that org.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson
    pass. I've seen that stuff already and know what time it is with that org.
    I can understand, but I will say that Joe's view on the experience is not one you would have gotten to see before. He is able to come at it from a perspective that is a bit different than what, say, myself or RD came from, and he's privvy to some of the funniest missteps by the guys that run the schools and he and his friends.

The book, and his stories in general, are also entertaining from a different perspective than just outing the truth. He does a good job making light of the whole situation, not just the people he doesn't like, and it makes for fascinating reading.