i may have mentioned this, infact i know i have but either it was a part of another thread or i just suck at searching. anyway tsui hark is directing my favorite chinese detective judge Dee.
Detective Dee Investigates Mysterious Deaths in Tsui Hark's Upcoming Film

-- Detective Dee --

Tsui Hark will direct period martial arts suspense thriller Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame in Hong Kong, Beijing, Hangzhou and Henan beginning in May 2009, with proposed release in summer 2010.

With a $13 million budget, a script by Chen Kuofu and production by Chen Kuofu, Tsui Hark's wife and partner Nansun Shi and Peggy Lee, Tsui Hark and Huayi Brothers will bring to life an imagined case solved by a real Tang Dynasty detective Di Ren Jie, to be played by Andy Lau.

When the mysterious deaths of a series of loyal subjects threaten to delay the 690 A.D. inauguration of Empress Wu Zetian, China's only female leader, she summons the infamous Detective Dee back from an exile into which she cast him eight years earlier.

"They had such an interesting relationship of hatred, love and passion," said Tsui Hark, who is focused on finding the perfect empress to play opposite Andy Lau. "She was the sole one, the first and last empress in China, who claimed to be very iron-fisted, using all these cruel methods in handling her politics. At the same time she was very smart, using all the intelligent people she selected for her cabinet."

Detective Dee accepts the challenge and partners with gung-ho Commander Bei and the Ghost Doctor, a master of disguise, to solve the crimes. Tsui Hark has not yet chosen actors to play the rest of the historical figures. The Hollywood Reporter

now tsui hark is not my favorite director, in fact he is waaaaaaay down on the list and maybe even on the top ten of my least favorite. but if he stays within his realm, and doesnt go to far and to over the top, this film could be amazing.