Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Body weight exercises: how much weight?

Is that like, dinner plates or side plates?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    coffee??? oh, yea...12 hours away...I'm on beer now
    Wish I was! They don't let me drink at school.

btw, my students ended up someplace in the stix...the closest thing to them is a kendo school...but, they don't have the dollars for the equipment and apparently you can't borrow...they say they are walking regularly but have to step around a lot of pig and cow crap...
    Kendo equipment is big dollar. In some schools they just make you train with no armour if you don't buy it - though the full contact is, I hope, out. Let them know to get in touch if they're ever in the Big Mikan, and I'll hook em up with some training/conviviality.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    re: GDA's post and my earlier question: you can't really consider anything normally considered to be a body weight exercise still a BWE once you start adding weight...right? It would still most likely be a compound exercise which is good but not justa BW ??? serious question though I might just be @nal about definitions.

Mr. P: I don't think they are moving around much but if I find out they are I'll find out if they are going to be close. I didn't really think they were going to be too agressive about finding a place to train after moving but you have to encourage them to anyway.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post
    pushups = 0lbs
    pushups with 2 plates on back = 90lbs

dips = 0lbs
    dips with 2 plates = 90lbs

chins = 0lbs
    chis with 2 plates = holyshtsickles u is strong
    Never used push-ups for anything other than warm ups...
    Dips, I have done them for 5 x5 with 110lbs - I like dips.
    Chins, the most I have done was with 100lbs for 3 reps x 5.
    I am a stronger pusher than puller.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

re: GDA's post and my earlier question: you can't really consider anything normally considered to be a body weight exercise still a BWE once you start adding weight...right?
    i might be misunderstanding the question, but such exerceses are simply referred to as weighted dips, pushups, etc. weighted dips - 70lbs - 3x8.

unless your a badass like sanjuro. then you'd run out of plates for your chins and have to start attaching chains, babies, and dentures.
    where's my beer?

i might be misunderstanding the question, but such exerceses are simply referred to as weighted dips, pushups, etc. weighted dips - 70lbs - 3x8.

unless your a badass like sanjuro. then you'd run out of plates for your chins and have to start attaching chains, babies, and dentures.
    "Badass like Sanjuro WAS..."

Last time I did them, and this was 2 months ago, I did dipes with 50lbs 5 x 5 and chins with 25lbs- 5 x 5 .

what I'm trying to get at is that, if we are talking about the benefits of BW exercises, the once you start adding weight you are not technically doing BW anymore so it means something else...what I'm not sure, besides then applying normal rules or standards of resistance exercises
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

BW exercises are "pure strength" builders only if you can only do less than 3 reps of them.
    For the vast majority of people BW exercises are about muscular endurance and IF you do them in a circuit type routine, cardiovascular endurance.

right, that's what I was trying to say upstream...

that's why I think they are a great first step for people, especially the average (meaning sub-average in strength) person walking in to a ma school for the first time.

just introduced my newest student on to Fish's website last night after doing the leg portion of Workout #1 in class....before bag kicking of course

Yeah, I understand all that about pure strength and reps and whatever, and about technically it not being bodyweight when you add weight... Not wishing to be churlish here, but I don't give a fiddler's flying ****, gentlemen, whether it's technically BW or not.

My question goes like this:
    I want to know when I do chins, how much weight are my arms pulling up?
    When I do push-ups, how much weight are my arms pushing up?

I appreciate, as I said, it's a kind of pointless question, and I see GDA's point that it's zero until you add weight. But please, as you were, gentlemen, feel free to agree on things that we all hopefully know to be true by now!

Pullups: your bodyweight x .5 per arm

Pushups: put a scale under each hand...but, it's going to change between the bottom and the top...more at the bottom and less at the top..i think...

troll...you realize you didn't phrase it very well in your first post don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    My question goes like this:
    I want to know when I do chins, how much weight are my arms pulling up?
    When I do push-ups, how much weight are my arms pushing up?
    I dunno, can't you sort of estimate it by comparing to a known quantity? E.g. do a pushup, then compare it to how much it feels like when benching. I reckon you could get within 5kg on the bench. I warm up for bench with 60kg, because that's what my bar + 2 plates + no collars weighs (and that's what I always leave on it) and that feels similar to a pushup IIRC (don't do many pushups these days). With chins IIRC it felt like about 3/4 of the full stack on the lat pulldown machine at the old gym I used to go to (obviously there's some mechanical advantage going on so it's not 1kg on the machine == 1kg lifted).
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    .... I did dipes with 50lbs....
    That seems obsessive.

???????
    You were referring to diapers, right?
    Don't let the new(ish) kid get to ya!

what I'm trying to get at is that, if we are talking about the benefits of BW exercises, the once you start adding weight you are not technically doing BW anymore so it means something else...what I'm not sure, besides then applying normal rules or standards of resistance exercises
    oh ok yeah . . . once you start adding weight i'd consider it a weight lifting exercise.
    where's my beer?