Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Proper Horse Stance ?

*head explode
    does it matter lol

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

if you can do standing splits shaolin style does it matter?.

I suggest you go to your Sifu or Sihings for advice on the proper horse, it can vary a lot from school to school. For instance look at wushu form competitors, very different stances from any Hung Gar I've ever seen. Advice on the forum can help but remember they aren't your Sifu, good luck and enjoy your training.

Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    if you can do standing splits shaolin style does it matter?.
    i dont think it matters. every one has their own way of doing their stuff i agree that he should ask his sifu

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Everything in Hung Gar matters. I learned that much my first day.

I did ask Sifu, as explained in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    *head explode
    does it matter lol
    Yes it does!!!!

It seems to me that most styles ride too wide a horse. The feet spread is to wide, and if the stance requires developing strength to be able to do properly, then it might not be proper. The horse stance is developed to fit the practitioner. It all depends on your hip structure. You need to drop, but you need to be able to do it comfortably so that it does not tax your strength or stamina. Otherwise you will tire too quickly. You need to be able to move quickly as well, and if you are in a stance that is not comfortable or way too wide you can not move fast. Some of these extreme horse stances do look impressive, but in a knock down and drag out fight would you be able to last long? In your horse stance you should be able to run forward, backwards, sideways, just about any direction.
    Your stance is where you live. Everything you do is from your stance. It is what gives you your root, your power. None of this can occur from an akward stance. You should have a training method that helps develop this. Like practicing your footwork while in your horse stance. Advancing, retreating, side stepping, turning, just about any move you would expect to make.

The monk in the center is a good reference for a strong horse stance. Except I train with my toes forward instead an outward angle.

You should also consult with your Sifu and if he just gives you the cold shoulder, as you stated he did then find another Sifu. The days of not teaching all to your students and sharing 100% of your knowledge are far over. But that is another thread all its own.

The last two posts were exellant. I was taught toes out released good chi and toes in held bad chi in. Toes in should be for down the road when you know what to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Miles View Post

"""Some horse stances use muscle, others tendon and others bone and qi. """
    Please explain this answer. These are all part of the kinetic chain. They are always present and always involved.

It appears that most of you do not believe there is any specific methods and/ or measurements involved . I do not hear any scientific data being thrown around.

Experience is not a valid answer. I can guarantee that most of you have muscle imbalances , relative flexibility and postural distortion from your various practices .

I am sorry but " be cuz my master says so or becuz it is the way that it is done or taught traditionally does not fly either ".

Oh by the way , feet turned in ,bad Qi and feet turned out, good chi it is more like the other way around. Do people study or do they make this up as they go along........
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 01-14-2009 at 07:22 PM.

I started this thread b/c I was curious as to whether there is a generally accepted view of the "proper" horse stance. In other word, an image of what a mastered horse stance would look like. It doesn't seem like there is.

Quote Originally Posted by wetwonder View Post
    I started this thread b/c I was curious as to whether there is a generally accepted view of the "proper" horse stance. In other word, an image of what a mastered horse stance would look like. It doesn't seem like there is.
    THat is correct.

there is yee gee kim yeung ma, sei ping ma, sei ping dai ma, jeung ma and several other variants of horse/horse riding stance.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by wetwonder View Post
    Yes, there is. It is based on your own body measurements, proper structural alignment, etc. the only difference is whether they are high ( thigh 90 vertical), middle ( thigh 45) or low (thigh 90 horizontal). Your feet should be in the same place no matter what "square" horse stance you are doing................ I would say that these are similar to the three different styles of actual horse riding (english, western and jockey)these are done with 50/50 weight distribution.............These may not be universally known but they should be. There is the correct way and then variations there of. If you do it the way you want to ( variation)and not the correct way there will be limitations, inefficiency, structural problems,etc. I can give you the proper methods , measurements etc. for any stance based on science not opinion.
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 01-14-2009 at 07:23 PM.

I noticed.....

Nobody wants scientific advice based on the facts and truth, only opinions without scientific data......... LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Nobody wants scientific advice based on the facts and truth, only opinions without scientific data......... LMAO
    I would love to see your research