Thread: Where can I find more Cung Le fights from early in his career?

Where can I find more Cung Le fights from early in his career?

I'd like to see as many of Cung Le's early fights as possible. Unfortunately outside of his MMA career there isn't much available online.

I've seen all of his MMA fights, his K-1 Super fights and a few other San Shou fights.

In particular I'd like to see his fights in the Shidokan tournaments as well as the Wushu World Championship Tournaments where he won 3 bronze medals and his full match with Jason Yee.

We hope to have a DVD soon

It's the fourth installment of Cung's DVD series Sanshou. titled Sanshou in Action. It doesn't have the Shidokan fight, and I can't remember if it has the Yee fight (I don't think so) but it does have a lot of old sanshou footage. We're having some difficulties with upgrading the quality, but we hope to have it repackaged from VHS to DVD shortly. I'll ttt it when it's available.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    It's the fourth installment of Cung's DVD series Sanshou. titled Sanshou in Action. It doesn't have the Shidokan fight, and I can't remember if it has the Yee fight (I don't think so) but it does have a lot of old sanshou footage. We're having some difficulties with upgrading the quality, but we hope to have it repackaged from VHS to DVD shortly. I'll ttt it when it's available.
    Thanks, GeneChing.

Do you have any idea who owns the rights to the footage of the Shidokan tournament Cung Le won or the 3 San Shou World Tournaments he competed in?

No idea

I imagine the IWuF would have rights to the Worlds, but I'm not sure if they were even filmed completely. It was prior to youtube. 1995 was televised, if memory serves. That was Baltimore. I'd have to dig through the back issues to find our more (or you could).

As for Shidokan, you'd have to contact them.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I have the san shou in action tape.
    I'll check it this weekend to see if it has the whole Yee fight.
    There is at least one split second where you see Yee's face during one of the montages but I can't remember if the whole thing's there.

On a side note, it's a shame more of the Boston guys didn't go promma.
    Imagine for a second that certain injuries & age didn't happen; how awesome would it be to see guys like Jason Yee, Loriaux (sp?), Marvin Perry, and Albert Pope doing their thing on ppv. Not to mention our own MutantWarrior and SanshouGuru.

At least the New York guys are taking steps to get san shou a bit more exposure in the "big leagues".
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    i have something that has Cung Le and Rudi Ott fighting...1997...Florida? I think it only had 2 san shou fights though...maybe just highlight fights from whatever was going on...i think Chan Poi is on it doing a form and so is Pan Qing Fu so it may not have been a full fledged san shou tourney.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

There's a demo fight between Cung & Rudi on our Anniversary DVD

KungFu Qigong Magazine Gala Benefit Feature Masters' Exhibitions

Cung had been on our cover way back in Fall 94 so he had full right to be part of our Cover Masters' Exhibitions, but we all figured it wouldn't show as well as it would out in the parking lots for our free show (we did two shows - a free outdoors show during the day and a ticketed dinner show for the eve). Cung and Rudi hammed it up, setting each other up for the big throws. I remember the audience was pretty stunned. Cung had to stop for a moment to encourage the audience to applaud. I'm not sure if that made it on to the DVD.

I know you're not looking for a demo fight, but it's my job to plug stuff here. While I'm on the topic, let's review all of Cung's back cover issues after Fall 94:
    World of Martial Arts Magazine Jul Aug 1998
    Nov 98
    Jul Aug 08
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I imagine the IWuF would have rights to the Worlds, but I'm not sure if they were even filmed completely. It was prior to youtube. 1995 was televised, if memory serves. That was Baltimore. I'd have to dig through the back issues to find our more (or you could).

As for Shidokan, you'd have to contact them.
    Will do.

I've been to the Shidokan site before but could not find the right video. I'll try asking them about it.

KungFu Qigong Magazine Gala Benefit Feature Masters' Exhibitions

Cung had been on our cover way back in Fall 94 so he had full right to be part of our Cover Masters' Exhibitions, but we all figured it wouldn't show as well as it would out in the parking lots for our free show (we did two shows - a free outdoors show during the day and a ticketed dinner show for the eve). Cung and Rudi hammed it up, setting each other up for the big throws. I remember the audience was pretty stunned. Cung had to stop for a moment to encourage the audience to applaud. I'm not sure if that made it on to the DVD.

I know you're not looking for a demo fight, but it's my job to plug stuff here. While I'm on the topic, let's review all of Cung's back cover issues after Fall 94:
    World of Martial Arts Magazine Jul Aug 1998
    Nov 98
    Jul Aug 08
    Yeah, that demo has circulated around the internet. Good stuff.

Part of the Jason Yee fight is also online so I figure that if it was filmed someone must have video somewhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laeghrc6ibE

I understand that some of this stuff is hard to come by and get in good quality because it was filmed before there was digital recording technology.

To the OP.....where besides youtube have you found Cungs MMA and K1 fights?

Quote Originally Posted by Cimaroon View Post
    To the OP.....where besides youtube have you found Cungs MMA and K1 fights?
    All of his MMA fights are available on DVD.

His K-1 fights as well.

You can buy the Strikeforce DVDs from Sherdog if you can't find those fights online.

Most of his stuff appears to have been taken off both Youtube and Dailymotion unfortunately.

I uploaded the Fryklund fight to Megaupload.com.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=O8JOU4WD

I use file sharing programs and google searches to find rare fights. But it's the Shidokan and early San Shou fights that appear to be the most rare for Cung Le.

Didn't see the whole Yee fight on the video; maybe I missed it, I dunno.
    The fights that are on there show a bit of a progression; some of those fights are very early in his career.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

I see that San Shou in action is available on DVD at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Sanshou-Action...468518&sr=8-14

Is this the DVD release you were talking about, Gene?

Yup, we released it a little while ago

Sanshou in Action is actually cheaper if you get it off www.MartialArtsMart.com. It's even cheaper if you're willing to dust off your old VCR (but supplies are limited on this... )
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Thanks. I look forward to watching it. I'm definitely going with DVD.

Here is the full fight with Jason Yee.

Now if only I could get the Shidokan video.