Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Kyokushin vs. Drunken Boxing vid

Kyokushin vs. Drunken Boxing vid

I dunno if this is choreographed or not. Doesn't look like it. The only reason I'm posting it is because, if it isn't choreographed, it's the only time I've seen someone spar with drunken boxing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkYF2...eature=related
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    I dunno if this is choreographed or not. Doesn't look like it. The only reason I'm posting it is because, if it isn't choreographed, it's the only time I've seen someone spar with drunken boxing.

In my opinion this whole thing was staged to show Kyokushinkai Karate in good light. It is nothing but a media exhibition.

However, it ended up showing both Kyokshin and Drunken Boxing in a bad light. I say this because the karate black belt was very one dimensional and I know for a fact that there is more to this style of karate than fancy kicking. This type of kicking would get one killed against a competent kung fu fighter, in a REAL fight, that is.

On the other hand the kung fu fighter looked like he was sparring with his sister. This was at best a light sparring session rigged in favor of the karate fighter. There was no leg grabbing allowed. At 1.44 the Drunken Boxer grabs the Karate man´s leg and then lets go and apologizes. That is pretty good isn´t it? I can kick someone (whose arsenal of techniques include grabbing and grappling), all I want, knowing that he isn´t allowed to grab my leg to take me down.

There were more "fights" at this event (farce!) and the videos can be found in YouTube as well.

HW8

Read the commentaries. smacmillon caught the correct.

Uh...drunken boxing isn't a style in and of itself...and I think these "drunken boxers" might have learned their moves from Tekken.

EO

Is it 2004 again?
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

It was a silly display on all parts.
    The kyokushin guys held back as to not "hurt" their "friends" and the "drunken" boxers over did their inebriation to play up for the Cameras.
    This is reminent of that horrid WC VS Kyokushin display at the world champion ships on the 70's.
    To say it was a fix is, well, accusatory, nevertheless, it was a joke and made Kyokushin look as bad as WC.
    No need for this silliness.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

That video makes the rounds every few years. We all know it. We all think it's stupid. Nuff said.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Olson View Post
    Uh...drunken boxing isn't a style in and of itself...and I think these "drunken boxers" might have learned their moves from Tekken.

EO
    It is my understanding that Drunken Boxing was an individual style, at least in the old days.

It is my understanding that "drunken boxing" is Chinese for "please hurt me some more". Honestly, even done correctly (it was not in that video) it comprises a fair percentage of what is wrong in CMA.
    Simon McNeil

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    It is my understanding that "drunken boxing" is Chinese for "please hurt me some more". Honestly, even done correctly (it was not in that video) it comprises a fair percentage of what is wrong in CMA.
    Actually, drunken boxing was/can be highly effective due to its very unorthodox and "clumsy" approuch to fighting.
    Ever been hit in sparring but a noobie that throws a round kick in the silliest of ways?
    Supposedly Drunken Boxers can hit you and launch attacks from the most unpredictable of ways and angles.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Guess I've just never seen it than. Because every person I have seen attempt drunken boxing in a fight has left themselves open for a punch or a throw without fail.
    Simon McNeil

when drunken leaning around is called luohan dodging punch methods a lot less people make an ass out of themselves
    and when drunken footwork is called dragon footwork no one looks like a moron, even though those are the same but with different names
    people who do monkey style dont fling poo and scream like a monkey, people who do crane dont flap their wings and make bird noises

i blame jackie chan
    Last edited by bawang; 01-12-2009 at 08:18 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Thumbs up

ROFTLMFAO.

Bawang you are awesome.
    Simon McNeil

thanks
    super duper awesome friend

but seriously yes the dodging and shuffling footwork is from a very old style of luohan because when i had seen a friend do a real form it was luohan with some SLIGHTLY drunken-looking movements added in between and some ditang
    other style add it because it is more a concept of doging instead of blocking and fighting with no rooting

my feeling is the pais that do drunken today have not fought in their lineage for mebbes a few hundred years
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5XpUPbBmBc
    look at this guy bobbing his head like hes dodging punches
    Last edited by bawang; 01-12-2009 at 08:49 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    Could it be that your Chinese language skills are even worse than your kung fu ones?

You need to have a lot of qualifications before you can make that kind of a statement and if you did, then you would not have made such a statement in the first place.
    Last edited by Hardwork108; 01-12-2009 at 08:57 AM.