Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Kyokushin vs. Drunken Boxing vid

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    that show was obviously fixed they invited some nobodys to get pounded for entertainment, when the snake style guy was actually fighting decently they stopped the fight really quick

I noticed the quick end too. That was a snake stylist?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Ignore is your friend, and NOT quoting would be great too * Hint*
    I got your hint and that is why I am ignoring your friend kansuke.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Kyokushin SHOULD be a complete system, the "Supreme Ultimate Truth" of the MA.
    That was certainly its original design. If the powers that be had stuck to that design then even I may have been tempted to take up this art.

Unfortunately what has happened to Kyokushin has been happening to many kung fu styles for many years and decades, hence the need for many kung fu-ists, often quite rightly (but not always) to look elsewhere to complete their arsenal.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    simon is right, whenever someone rubs my balls the wrong way on this topic i start hearing wong fei hong theme song in my head
    AHAHAHAAHHA AMAZING MENTAL IMAGE

i'm thinking a flashback with you at the keyboard of the beach scene from wong fei hung 1 (once upon a time in china)

you area funny guy
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post
    why is being a mma'is t a bad thing and suddenly make whatever i post less credible
    If you have to ask such a question in a kung fu forum then I am afraid that no answer that I can give will enlighten you. Just keep on practicing the stuff that make you happy. At the end of the day that is what it is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Arhat
    who trains more realistically ?

the mma'ist

who trains harder ?

the mma'ist

who tests there skills against real opponents?

the mma'ist
    Who shouldn´t be posting in a kung fu forum?

AN MMA-IST!

i'd say if anything being a mixed martial artist gives me far more credibility to take apart your derisive arguments ratehr than less(not that i have to)
    To post in a kung fu forum you would have far more credibility if you were an AUTHENTIC kung fu practitioner.

..... but there are definitley some diamonds in the dust
    Well thank you old boy, I didn´t think that you had it in you.
    Last edited by Hardwork108; 01-13-2009 at 06:07 PM.

i have a background in cma

i am a mixed martial artist yes

kung fu is a MARTIAL art

and one that i like to mix in with my training, in fact i take alot of influence from arts like xingyiquan in principle and practise
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

LOL! What is it with CMA interested syncretists and Xingyi?

Kansuke: There is two centuries of bad blood between the Chinese and the Japanese peoples. A lot of Chinese people refuse to let old grievances drop, and a lot of Japanese people don't like to admit that anyone in Japan ever did anything wrong. The good news is that Japan and China are separated by a large body of water and have significant economic interests in common and so we have them both playing mostly nicely and just demonizing each other on TV. For an example of a simmilar situation but playing out on a small landmass and without the common economic interests take a look at the Sinhalese and the Tamils and just think: sixty years ago it was worse than that.

And then consider this: lots of people in both countries remember sixty years ago.

The fact that sino-japanese relations are as good as they are now is a testament to the good of the human spirit. But it's still a very sore wound that both nations tend to scratch at.

Hucking around racism accusations at either side (considering that both sides go at it) really doesn't do anything to help. Encouraging cultural exchange and increased understanding on the other hand is a GOOD thing.
    Last edited by SimonM; 01-14-2009 at 06:49 AM.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    Kansuke: There is two centuries of bad blood between the Chinese and the Japanese peoples.

Whoa, really? Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    That was certainly its original design. If the powers that be had stuck to that design then even I may have been tempted to take up this art.

Unfortunately what has happened to Kyokushin has been happening to many kung fu styles for many years and decades, hence the need for many kung fu-ists, often quite rightly (but not always) to look elsewhere to complete their arsenal.

Hardwork

Royama Shihans organization (Kyokushin-Kan) has pretty much vowed to bring back the original vision of Sosai Oyama including allowing punches/kicks to the face during tournaments and sparring

Check it out if you like

http://www.budokaratehouse.com/honbu/honbuhome4.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin22 View Post
    Hardwork

Royama Shihans organization (Kyokushin-Kan) has pretty much vowed to bring back the original vision of Sosai Oyama including allowing punches/kicks to the face during tournaments and sparring

Check it out if you like

http://www.budokaratehouse.com/honbu/honbuhome4.htm
    Thank you for the link Ronin. It is very interesting. I hope more TJMA and indeed TCMA masters (real ones) follow Royama´s example and go back to teaching/practicing their arts the way they were meant to be, i.e. holistically and with combat functionality in mind.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post
    i have a background in cma
    I wish had a dime for every time a MMAist told me that he had a "background in cma".

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat
    i am a mixed martial artist yes
    I think that all of us have gathered that already.

kung fu is a MARTIAL art
    I gather that you know that fact because of your "background in cma".

and one that i like to mix in with my training, in fact i take alot of influence from arts like xingyiquan in principle and practise
    I wish I had a dime for every time an MMA ist told me that he takes a lot of "influence" from kung fu in his MMA training.

The short of the story is that either you practice authentic kung fu or you don´t!

To understand any authentic kung fu style will take you years of practice in an AUTHENTIC school!

How many authentic kung fu schools do you know in Manchester or indeed the UK? I mean authentic and not schools with good track records in kickboxing matches!

So before you insult a kung fu practitioner in a KUNG FU forum you need to first look at your own kung fu (not MMA nor kickboxing) prowess and having a kung fu "background" or kung fu "influences" does not cut it!

The fundamental tradition of Gong Fu was synthesis and transformation. The preponderance of styles of Wu Gong was largely because the prevailing notion until recently was that there were as many styles of wu gong as there were fighters.

Conservatives (not politically but martially) who feel that they will lose some imagined purity if they allow any foreign styles into their "kung fu" are sort of missing the point.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    The fundamental tradition of Gong Fu was synthesis and transformation. The preponderance of styles of Wu Gong was largely because the prevailing notion until recently was that there were as many styles of wu gong as there were fighters.

Conservatives (not politically but martially) who feel that they will lose some imagined purity if they allow any foreign styles into their "kung fu" are sort of missing the point.
    Kung fu has always evolved through improvements and adoption of techniques from other styles. Nothing new there.

However, in the old days these improvements were carried out by REAL kung fu masters (who had dedicated their lives to one or more styles of TCMA) and not by wannabe knuckleheads who had at some point in their lives dabbled in kung fu together with god knows how many irrelevant (to kung fu)martial arts.

You will also find that any new improvements were adapted to fit the individual theories and principles of a given style. For example, you cannot use the typical karate or Muay Thai round (house) kick in Wing Chun as it goes against the center line theory of this style.

However, in Siu Lam wing chun we do have a round or turning kick that falls within the principles of this art. No doubt that this technique was adopted from more mainstream shaolin kung fu styles but as it stands now, it is a WC technique.

Those missing the point are the people who may hop around like a boxer (without kung fu roots) using chain punches (a la Wing Chun) and round kicks (a la karate) and still think that what they are doing is an "improved" or "evolved" form of kung fu!

at this point my formal training is in cma. it makes up my foundation, my walls, and my roof of my house. i have a few windows and doors that are not from cma however.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Understood that.