Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why does Hung Ga do the index finger salute?

Why does Hung Ga do the index finger salute?

pakua and hsing yi tell you to stare at the fingernail so you can see around you...

http://www.asbweb.org/conferences/2006/pdfs/112.pdf

the Extensor Indicis is involved in the extension of the wrist and index finger, now if you google your map you will see it drawn as a bulge below the bump on your wrist on the knife hand side and it extends down like a chi tendon to the finger tip. now, when you do the pakua hand or the hung ga salute you feel the blood fill up along the line to the bulge... why does kung fu do it?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    It was asecret handsign used by the Ming loyalists to identify each other when they were fighting against the Ching invaders.
    "If all the Han people would raise but one finger, we could restore the Ming to power again."
    It also is used to strengthen the bridge, it is a claw hand to grip with, it can be used to strike points as well.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Talking Index Finger

One Ming can defeat 1,000 Chings!

interesting discusion about "one finger bridge hand" (yat ji kiu sau) here:

http://www.hungkyun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=594

and here:

http://www.hungkyun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=492
    PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

www.practicalhungkyun.com

I have heard that there may also be a connection to the {relatively) old yi jin jing posture of Bending Bow to Shoot Hawk, at least in terms of the often "qigong"-like utilization of the move in the forms (slow tension extending); considering the alleged Shaolin origins of Hung, that may not be too much of a stretch...
    Last edited by taai gihk yahn; 01-12-2009 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kfman5F View Post
    One Ming can defeat 1,000 Chings!
    Really now.
    棋盘山上砍过树,故宫城里盗过墓,此生行尽天涯路,沈阳儿女就是酷.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    I have heard that there may also be a connection to the {relatively) old yi jin jing posture of Bending Bow to Shoot Hawk, at least in terms of the often "qigong"-like utilization of the move in the forms (slow tension extending); considering the alleged Shaolin origins of Hung, that may not be too much of a stretch...
    it's interesting that you only really see it in Hung Gar, but when you go to the North they use a similar bridge as the main focus...in sun lu tang's hsing yi book he used the palm down posture for fighting but uses the palm facing front while you stare at the index finger for chi development. I wonder if the internal arts were inspired by the YJJ bridges?.

Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    it's interesting that you only really see it in Hung Gar, but when you go to the North they use a similar bridge as the main focus...in sun lu tang's hsing yi book he used the palm down posture for fighting but uses the palm facing front while you stare at the index finger for chi development. I wonder if the internal arts were inspired by the YJJ bridges?.
    that's a very interesting observation and good question;

my (well, obviously not just me) general belief is that much (most?) of YJJ is derived from yogic practice - although certainly it was "sinocized" to a significant degree (e.g. - the Taoist influence)

I would have to look at SLT's book to be sure of exactly what you describe; as far as staring at the finger for "qi" development, classically one would supposedly see "smoke" rising from the finger when one had reached a sufficient level of mastery...

defeat 1,000 Chings

As a Ching, I resent that.

We did a comparative piece on Bridge Hand titled (strangely enough) Bridge Hand in our 2006 May/June: Hung Ga - Wong Fei Hung Collector's Issue.

"Bending Bow to Shoot Hawk" or as I usually translate it "Draw the bow to slay the vulture" is not a yijinjing posture. It's from baduanjin, a.k.a. 8 section brocade.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    "Bending Bow to Shoot Hawk" or as I usually translate it "Draw the bow to slay the vulture" is not a yijinjing posture. It's from baduanjin, a.k.a. 8 section brocade.
    ah, but where did baduajin come from...

where did baduajin come from

It's unlikely that baduanjin came from yijinjing if that's where you're going with that. Most scholars theorize that it was the other way around.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    It's unlikely that baduanjin came from yijinjing if that's where you're going with that. Most scholars theorize that it was the other way around.
    my understanding, through my sifu, is that BDJ is like "YJJ-lite"; but I can double check that...
    Last edited by taai gihk yahn; 01-12-2009 at 07:09 PM.

We also do it in our choy lay fut form "dai kau da kuen" and our lama form "lohan kuen". The way it was explained to me(other than a hand signal) was it was used to build tension to strengthen the forearm or "bridge".

hung, choy lay fut and lama are all very close and possibly related styles. As far as trying to link the technique with other styles via a "shaolin" connection, most of what is said about shaolin is legend so..........
    Last edited by Shaolindynasty; 01-12-2009 at 08:56 PM.
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    my understanding, through my sifu, is that BDJ is like "YJJ-lite"; but I can double check that...
    Very interesting!. Thank you to everyone who has posted in this thread I'm on a mission to find out how many popular drills are out there using this vulture shooting key finger...a dirty brothel joke just popped up in my head...

In Franky Lau's you tube page you see them train all the time walking the horse pull back at crown and then down to chamber and press vulture finger forward...they'll walk around the whole room just doing that breathing. very cool

I have quite a few anatomy and fitness texts, been digesting them all of 2008 to now and I'm really interested in finding out what I can about CMA in the olden days and the general populaces knowledge of physical fitness from a P.E. and a streetfighting application based framework...like in the 70's and 80's arnold told you to do situps as a ab exercise, now in 2000 he'll tell you it's not a ab exerise it works the hips it's safer to do crunches at beginner level. Chinese have some of the illest dances in their fighting forms so I know there is something to their awareness of mind and body and medical study. as I read more yall an def' expect some more inquiries on the ancient methods, the old school ways, mode of thought and all of that!.

While reading this thread(good thread by the way) I remembered a really interesting thread at DList that also touched on the one finger Kiu Sau.

I actually found the link.

http://www.dragonslist.com/discussio...ral-plain.html