Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why does Hung Ga do the index finger salute?

Why does Hung Ga do the index finger salute?
    because the middle finger salute was taken already by "fungulayou-jtsu".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Naw. Middle finger is an English archery salute. In fungulayou-jtsu the middle finger is given before running away crying and surrendering. Of course to be traditional you will have to leave all your gear in the desert.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    It was asecret handsign used by the Ming loyalists to identify each other when they were fighting against the Ching invaders.
    "If all the Han people would raise but one finger, we could restore the Ming to power again."
    It also is used to strengthen the bridge, it is a claw hand to grip with, it can be used to strike points as well.
    NOOOOOOOOOO DONT TELL PEOPLE ABOUT THE SUPER DUPER SECRET HAND SIGNAL!!!!!!

now i must destroy you!!!
    where you live d00d?
    Last edited by bawang; 01-13-2009 at 03:19 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by banditshaw View Post
    While reading this thread(good thread by the way) I remembered a really interesting thread at DList that also touched on the one finger Kiu Sau.

I actually found the link.

http://www.dragonslist.com/discussio...ral-plain.html
    "
    Structurally, you can test the strength of this particular hand posture by doing some pull ups. You can lift your index finger and you can still maintain your grip, but if you mess with the last three fingers, you'll lose your grip. This particular structure, even though it might not seem like it, is also very important for grips while grappling, especially when you have to do some "wardrobe work", and actually grab onto some clothing material. The idea is to understand the use of the forefinger, and more importantly, the flexibility that it lends to the wrist. This requires one to look at the hand posture three dimensionally, and of course go beyond forms. In reality, you'd be taught the function of the shape way before you ever saw the form, at least within a traditional setting. Nowadays, this isn't the case. But, anyway...

The cultural aspects, well, as my Sifu says, "It is no longer a secret, the Ching's lost the war! So the significance is no longer relevant." You can go into various things with the symbolism of the fingers, and how they can mean a specific date in history, actual members of a particular tong, a sigil of brotherhood, etc. However, philosophically, this particular hand posture has a long history which can be traced all the way back to India, with its older use as a mudra."quote from illusionfist in that thread...

I think the best thing to do if one wants to understand why these hands are so popular...you have mantis hook hand with the index straight, you got "point at central palm" hand, and you got the two finger tai chi sword hand otherwise used as the dragon claw poking and tearing with the index and middle (salute SR) I think the best bet to understand the idea behind these hands is to look at the farm tools used throughout the generations. Look at the dates behind the legends and then research what type of work was being done around those times...how does living in tibet inflluence you kicking footwork oppossed to living in india...I imagine hand to hand kung fu for a soldier would use the grab and hitting strategy needed when holding a sword and shield, wheras a farmers hand to hand kung fu would be more singular spear play being the most fighting they get is while hunting... I'm really interested in the fitness of killing...

Anyone noticed that the reverse grip for the butterfly swords kinda resembles the finger salute?

The way several of the weapons are handled can serve to strengthen the index finger used in the 1 finger kiu sau.
    -Golden Arms-

An identifying hand symbol.

I don't think it has much in the way of martial application.
    If there is, I would like to see it applied and be shown the consistency of the ability to apply it by virtue of design and function.

Otherwise, I will continue to understand it as a hand sign that identified Ming and symbolized their unity in their rebellion.

I could be wrong. We can always be wrong. It is our right! :-)
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    Otherwise, I will continue to understand it as a hand sign that identified Ming and symbolized their unity in their rebellion.
    that hand signal is a modification of the Hung Society hand signal signifying a certain individuals birth or death date.....that slips my mind at the moment.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHAAHHAHAHAHAH

Dude, I was taking a drink when I read that...and it's comedic value hit me just at the right moment. Oh man I fell out my chair for some reason.

http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    ...in sun lu tang's hsing yi book he used the palm down posture for fighting but uses the palm facing front while you stare at the index finger for chi development. I wonder if the internal arts were inspired by the YJJ bridges?.
    No. Not at the index finger. You look out through the tiger's mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish View Post
    No. Not at the index finger. You look out through the tiger's mouth.
    Yup. Hop Gar does this as well.

The question is...who started the trend? I think we know its meaning in the patriotic societies, but why does it show up elsewhere?
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post
    Yup. Hop Gar does this as well.

The question is...who started the trend? I think we know its meaning in the patriotic societies, but why does it show up elsewhere?
    buddhist influenced gang signs was started by white lotus.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    ah, but where did baduajin come from...
    The first eight of the eighteen lohan hands.

According to the tradition the Bodhidharma transmitted the 18 lohan hands, sinew metamorphosis, and skills of bone marrow cleansing.

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
    - Sun Tzu

It's pure B/S and means absolutely nothing.

Sorry. That's the truth.
    Make al the hand signs you want, none of them will make you a better fighter, martial artist, or person.

Total baloney.
    Originally Posted by Knifefighter
    Really? That's real Kung Fu?
    If so, I take back every negative thing I ever said.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Specialed you do have a point there.

It's pure B/S and means absolutely nothing.

Sorry. That's the truth.
    Make al the hand signs you want, none of them will make you a better fighter, martial artist, or person.

Total baloney.
    did anyone say to you "this will make you a better fighter" ? i confuse. a person like you that has no idea why that hand signal was designed for is expected to make idiotic comments like that. too bad fa you. sad that the only thing you know how to do is fight. you can't lion dance, you cant do forms, you can't drum, you can't do weapons.

thats pretty sad that all you know how to do is fight. how many UFC or Dragonhouse MMA have you won? who are you and how do we know you can fight?

if i were you i'd feel pretty jipped and waste all my years