Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: Bad Day for Samurai Wannabes

RIP Karina Castro

This thread might not be the most appropriate for this horrible crime.

10 SEPTEMBER 2022
    /
    SF NEWS
    /
    JAY BARMANN

Victim In Domestic Violence Beheading In San Carlos Identified, Friends and Family Say She Feared for Her Life
    A tragic incident that was the gruesome culmination of an abusive relationship turns more tragic and unfortunate with each new detail that comes out. And we now know the identity of the young mother who was killed by her estranged, violent boyfriend and father of one of her children.

While the coroner hasn't made her identity official, the father of the victim and her friends have spoken to the media in the last 24 hours and revealed that the woman killed in San Carlos Thursday morning was 27-year-old Karina Castro. (Her age was initially reported as 25.) Castro reportedly went on Instagram Live Thursday morning, hours before she would be brutally slain, saying that she feared for her life.

As friend Maricela Macedo tells the Chronicle, "She was talking about her baby daddy. She said that he had put a target on her." Macedo said she tried to record the live posting, but it ended before she could.

Castro would end up beheaded Thursday morning just before noon, allegedly by a sword, and at the hand of that ex-boyfriend and baby daddy of her one-year-old daughter. Investigators had not recovered the weapon as of Friday.

That baby daddy was identified Friday by San Mateo County authorities as 33-year-old Jose Rafael Landaeta-Solano. San Mateo County sheriff's deputies say that Landaeta-Solano returned to the scene of the crime after they arrived, and witnesses said he was screaming and vomited as he was taken away in handcuffs. Deputies said he suffered a "medical emergency" at that time. He was expected to appear in court in Redwood City as early as Friday, but it's unclear if that happened.

Castro's father, Martin Castro Jr., spoke to KTVU on Friday and described the relationship between his daughter and Landaeta-Solano as "rocky, questionable" and he added, "there was a lot of unstable behavior mainly from him."

Castro also spoke to ABC 7, and said, "Every time I saw her, I would beg her. Don't talk to him. Leave him and it seemed like the more I did that, the more she would see him."

"I feel like this is a horror movie I need to wake up from," he said, this time to NBC Bay Area.

Neighbors tell the Chronicle that the couple appeared happy when they moved into the home together on Laurel Street in San Carlos two years ago. Castro was expecting her second child, and Landaeta-Solano, and she also had an older daughter, now 7, who had a different father.

But neighbors also say that they heard screaming from the couple's apartment on multiple occasions, and Landaeta-Solano was charged in an October 31 incident with misdemeanor battery and disturbing the peace. He pleaded no contest to the charges in April and received one year probation, and around that time, Castro reportedly took out a restraining order against him.

The San Mateo Sheriff's Office said they had had previous contacts with Landaeta-Solano, and the Chronicle reports he served three years probation in a 2012 case in which he was accused of rape of an unconscious person.

Another detail has emerged that points to motive — this from Snapchat messages between the victim and suspect in the days or hours before the killing. ABC 7 obtained those messages, and they allegedly included threats by Castro to expose the fact that Landaeta-Solano had had a sexual relationship with another man. Landaeta-Solano calls her a "snitch lip" and Castro allegedly says, "U wanna put a target on my back, ur homies gunna kno the real u."

Landaeta-Solano reportedly said, "**** around and find out."

KTVU said that Castro's father was seen sobbing at the scene of the crime on Friday, and he told the station, ""I’d give my life for her in a second. I should have been here. And all I keep telling myself is — I failed. That’s how I feel. And I don’t want anyone else to feel this way."

Martin Castro Jr. also added, "If anyone you know has a relationship that’s questionable with a violent co-partner — get away, get away. I never thought that he would do this."

A GoFundMe campaign for funeral expenses and for the victim's children was set up by the victim's grandmother and has raised $33,000, over and above the $25,000 goal.

"I just want to thank everyone who’s donated to help my daughters kids, my beautiful grandchildren who have lost their mother to a senseless useless person," Geneva Castro writes. "Thank you all, this money will help them and help us give my daughter a funeral to remember I’m devastated broken empty and more hurt than I ever thought I could be by the situation but thank you all for helping us and the worst time of our lives."

Previously: 33-Year-Old Hayward Man Identified as Suspect In Insane Beheading-By-Sword In San Carlos

Photos via GoFundMe
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

RIP Grace Jennings

Sword was apparent weapon in SF slaying

BY OLIVIER UYTTEBROUCK / JOURNAL STAFF WRITER
    PUBLISHED: MONDAY, OCTOBER 31ST, 2022 AT 5:44PM
    UPDATED: MONDAY, OCTOBER 31ST, 2022 AT 9:39PM

Isaac Apodaca (Santa Fe Police Department)

A sword, a dead body and a secret society called “Ghost.”

These were all pieces of a puzzle Santa Fe police sorted out in the weekend stabbing death of 19-year-old Grace Jennings, whose body was found Saturday in a garage apartment.

Santa Fe police on Saturday arrested Isaac Apodaca, 25, and his girlfriend, Kiara McCulley, 19, each on an open count of murder in Jennings’ death, according to criminal complaints filed in Santa Fe County Magistrate Court. It was unclear Monday whether Apodaca or McCulley have attorneys.

Police found Jennings’ body and a blood-covered sword Saturday in a detached garage in the 5900 block of Jaguar Drive in Santa Fe.

Jennings’ body appeared to have “several puncture wounds consistent with being stabbed by a sword,” the complaint said. Jennings’ neck “appeared to have injuries consistent with attempts to decapitate.”

Police said they found text messages on Apodaca’s cellphone in which he urged McCulley to kill Jennings and promised her rewards for doing so, according to the complaint.

“Remember, you’ll move up in the ranks,” Apodaca allegedly texted McCulley. “Plus you get perks in the black market since this is your first.”

Kiara McCulley (Santa Fe Police Department)

McCulley later told investigators that Apodaca leads a secret organization called “Ghost,” which she described as a group that “gets rid of people who are in charge of sex trafficking or hurting kids,” police wrote in the complaint.

Apodaca told McCulley that by killing Jennings, McCulley “could get ranked up in her platoon,” she told police.

Apodaca allegedly told McCulley in a text message: “I am wanting you to kill her, you have to end your suffering by ending her joy,” the complaint said. When an investigator asked Apodaca what he meant by the text, Apodaca said, “I do mean what it says in that text,” and explained he had wanted McCulley to kill Jennings.

Apodaca and McCulley lived together in the garage apartment on Jaguar Drive owned by McCulley’s mother, police said.

McCulley told police that she became upset after Apodaca invited Jennings – a former girlfriend – to spend the night in the apartment. Jennings, Apodaca and McCulley all slept together in the same bed on Friday night, the complaint said.

When questioned, McCulley told police that she could not remember what had happened on Saturday, possibly because she has undiagnosed multiple personality disorder, the complaint said.

McCulley told officers “she was partially hopeful Ms. Jennings was dead but could not remember what happened to her,” the complaint said. McCulley allegedly told officers that she was angry with Jennings as a result of a past incident and had previously fantasized about killing Jennings, it said.
    Failed decapitation? So messed up...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Cult

1 person killed, 2 injured amid altercation with sword in Vallejo
    By Greg Liggins Published November 13, 2022 8:41

Neighbors in Vallejo say a men they know was allegedly stabbed with a sword over a housing dispute. One person was allegedly shot to death during the same incident.

Vallejo Police are investigating a death on a commercial property where police say transients lived.

One witness said the victim was impaled with a sword.

The property owner, who also lived at the site, was injured in the Sunday morning altercation.

At about 7:30 a.m., the 600 block of 3rd Street in Vallejo was filled with first responders.

"It was like six police cars, it was four ambulances, it was three fire trucks. Everywhere from here to over there blocking the street," Alix Santana said.

Police were responding to a report of a stabbing.

Patrick McMillan told KTVU he lives on the property in a motor home and said his 80-year-old friend and property owner came to him covered in blood.

"I heard banging on the door and went and it was Kurt and he said ‘I’m dying.’ I saw him with a sword sticking through his back and it came out his chest about here and a flap of his face cut off. Blood," McMillan said.

Police said two people were injured in the altercation and one woman was killed, but they gave no details about who exactly was injured and how.

A witness saw multiple people being put into ambulances.

"They were taken on stretchers. I saw one lady because she was the closest. She had her hands on her chest or something. I’m not too sure," said Santana.

McMillan said the altercation stemmed from a dispute between the property owner and people living on the site without permission. He said the owner was trying to get them off the property and was getting close to his goal.

"Finally gone to the court a couple of weeks ago and they were going to evict them," McMillan said. "The sheriff was going to be out Tuesday morning to evict them, so apparently, they found out and at 2:30 this morning they were throwing rocks and stuff and trying to bang his door down,"

McMillan said he called the police to report what was happening and was told they were sending officers.

"They never showed," said McMillan.

Police ultimately responded when McMillan said he made a second call after his friend was stabbed.

Police have not confirmed to KTVU who lived on the property or who was injured in the altercation.

Neighbors say about four or so people staying on the site were often referred to as ‘The Cult.’

"What we have is a certain number of people who seem, how can I put this, seem a little bit off," Clinton Davidson, a neighbor said.

Residents say those people often walked around nude and talked to themselves.

Those same residents describe the property owner as a man with a heart of gold.

They said he went out of his way to help people and take care of the neighborhood.

"Right across the street from my house there’s like a hillside and he basically would come up and cut all of the grass, pick up all of the rubbish, you know. Anything," said Dominique Swain, a resident.

McMillan said his friend who was stabbed with the sword has been through surgery and is alert. He said he’s been getting his information from the police.

There are currently no suspects in custody in the case, according to Vallejo Police.
    I think this is the Vallejo just north of Fremont where KFM HQ is...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sie’errah Witcher

Woman attacked a man with a sword, faces aggravated battery charges and making a false statement

A woman used a sword to attack a man after an argument, and she is charged with battery.
    By WCJB Staff
    Published: Dec. 4, 2022 at 4:05 PM PST

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (WCJB) - A woman is facing charges of aggravated battery after slicing a man with a sword on Friday night.

Gainesville Police officers say Sie’errah Witcher, 22, got into an argument with the man she had been in a relationship with for months.

During the fight, Witcher started yelling rape, then she pulled out a 30-inch blade and swung it at him, giving him an 8-inch gash on his hand.

She later said the incident was her fault because she shouldn’t have accused him of rape when it never happened.

Witcher is charged with aggravated battery and making a false statement.
    Anyone else find it ironic that her name is Witcher?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Darroll Tervit

EXCLUSIVE
    NewsScottish News
    'MAIMED FOR LIFE' Man left covered in blood & fingers hanging off after attackers tried to sever his hand with sword

Gordon Tait
    Published: 21:46, 2 Jan 2023Updated: 21:46, 2 Jan 2023

ATTACKERS almost cut off a man’s fingers as they tried to chop his hand off with a sword.

It is believed one man held down Darroll Tervit, 30, while the other began hacking at his arm and wrist after he was ambushed in a dark lane near his home.

Darroll Tervit was left with his fingers hanging off after the attack

His attackers hacked at his hand with a swordCredit: Getty

He managed to flee his attackers in Castlemilk, Glasgow, but was left covered in blood and with his fingers hanging off.

A source said: “He has been maimed for life.

“The attackers were trying to chop off his whole hand but only succeeded in seriously damaging his digits.

“It’s gone round that he had a finger nearly lopped off completely — it’s savage stuff.”

A local said: “There was blood all over the place and running down the footpath.”

Cops said the victim was treated at the city’s Queen Elizabeth University Hospital.

Det Con Glenn Clark said: “Enquiries are ongoing.

“I urge anyone who may have seen or heard any disturbance in the area to get in touch.”
    Harsh way to start off 2023...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jerry Thompson

CT man found guilty of murder of victim decapitated with sword

Brad Horrigan / Hartford Courant Hartford, CT – 7/27/20 – A Hartford Police cruiser sits outside of 784 Asylum Avenue in 2020, the site of a homicide. Photo Brad Horrigan | bhorrigan@courant.com

By STAFF REPORT |
    PUBLISHED: August 19, 2023 at 5:15 a.m. | UPDATED: August 19, 2023 at 2:28 p.m.

A Hartford man was found guilty of murder last week in the death of a man found decapitated with a sword in a Hartford home in 2020.

The murder conviction of Jerry Thompson, 45, stems from the July 25, 2020 slaying of Victor King in a home on Asylum Avenue in Hartford.

According to the arrest warrant affidavit in the case, Hartford police responded to King’s home on July 26, 2020 for a well-being check after someone called authorities and said they had not seen King in the past day or so.

The first officers on scene found King lifeless on the floor of his kitchen. He was partially covered by a sheet, according to the warrant affidavit.

King, who worked for Travelers Insurance for more than 20 before retiring in 2018, was known as one of the top bridge players in the country, having won a national championship in 2016.

According to the affidavit, Thompson quickly became a suspect, as he had moved into a vacant room in King’s home within the last year before the killing. Friends of King helped identify Thompson as a suspect, according to police.

Police said at the time of killing that detectives believe Thompson used a Samurai sword to cause “severe trauma” to King’s arms, chest, shoulder and neck.

Detectives wrote in the warrant affidavit that King and Thompson had had an argument prior to the killing, during which Thompson allegedly threatened King with a samurai sword during the dispute over rent money, the affidavit said. King had gone to the Hartford Police Department a day before he was found dead to tell them about the alleged threat, police wrote in the affidavit.

Authorities said that the victim and the defendant were roommates, and that the victim had been attempting to have the defendant evicted for failing to pay rent.

During the investigation, detectives went to Farmington River Park in Bloomfield, “where a long Samurai-style sword, consistent with the victim’s wounds, was pulled from the river,” authorities said.

When Thompson was brought in for questioning, the affidavit said, he refused to say anything to detectives and at one point wrote on a piece of paper, “paper in glove compart in Jeep is all you need.” Investigators then found paperwork in the Jeep suggesting Thompson viewed himself as a sovereign citizen — a person who doesn’t view themselves as subject to the law.

Court documents indicate Thompson during his case was ordered multiple times by a judge to undergo a competency evaluation. He was found competent to stand trial, court papers indicate.

Sentencing is scheduled for Oct. 11 at Superior Court in Hartford.
    how grisly
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Martial Club brawl

1 dead after 2 martial arts clubs brawl at Taiwan train station
    Weapons found at the scene included nunchaku, machetes, sickles, and samurai swords

By Keoni Everington, Taiwan News, Staff Writer
    2023/09/04 19:04

Two Indonesian martial arts groups engage in a brawl in front of Changhua railway station on Sept. 2. (Changhua County Police Department photo)

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) — A violent clash between two rival Indonesian martial arts groups broke out at a train station in western Taiwan on Saturday night (Sept. 2), resulting in one death, one serious injury, and 29 arrests.

The melee took place outside of Changhua railway station, reported ETtoday, with participants wielding weapons and multiple individuals sustaining severe injuries.

One of the individuals died from his wounds, while another is in critical condition. Police said they arrested 29 suspects, and upon further investigation, an investigation was opened on 15 others for involvement in serious crimes.

(Changhua County Police Department image)

The Changhua Precinct of the Changhua County Police Department reported that one 32-year-old Indonesian man was stabbed in the back and later died. Meanwhile, a 21-year-old man was stabbed four times, but is under hospital observation, reported Liberty Times.

Fifteen suspects have been transferred to the Changhua District Prosecutor's Office to be investigated for homicide (殺人罪), assault (傷害罪), and participating in a deadly brawl.

According to preliminary police findings, there was a disagreement about martial arts training. The two groups arranged a meeting to discuss their differences, but the situation escalated.

Weapons seized at the scene of the crime included knives, brass knuckles, machetes, samurai swords, survival knives, curved knives, nunchaku, screwdrivers, sickles, rods, utility knives, and cans of mace, among other items.

The police mobilied and expanded their search efforts for suspects. In less than 16 hours, the 24-year-old main murder suspect, an Indonesian national, was arrested in Taichung City.

The suspect led police to a ditch next to Jixiang Street in Changhua City, where officers recovered the knife allegedly used to commit the murder.

The authorities will inform the brokers and companies of the migrant workers involved to strengthen their management practices. They will also notify the Indonesian representative office in Taiwan to assist the victim's family in dealing with funeral arrangements.
    Gang-Fights
    Busted-Martial-Artists
    Bad-Day-for-Samurai-Wannabes
    Bad-Day-for-Wannabe-Bruce-Lees
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Damien Washam

Eight Mile man accused of brutally killing mother with sword, found not guilty by reason of insanity
    Last January 25-year-old Damien Washam was arrested.

By Ariel Mallory
    Published: Sep. 24, 2023 at 8:20 PM PDT
    EIGHT MILE, Ala. (WALA) - An Eight Mile man accused of killing his mother with a sword, has been found not guilty by reason of insanity according to court documents.

The decision comes almost two years after the brutal murder.

Man accused of killing mother in sword attack taken to jail

Last January, 25-year-old Damien Washam was arrested after his mother Helen Washam was found dead inside their home.

According to the Mobile County Sheriff’s Office Washam used a Samurai sword.

Deputies walked into a gruesome scene inside a home on Mausap Road.

Samurai sword suspect pleads not guilty of killing his mother

The 61-year-old mother was found dead in the back room.

An autopsy revealed she was cut 19 times in the head.

Mobile County sword attack resulted from argument over marijuana, investigator testifies

Investigators say two other family members, Washam’s brother and bedridden uncle, were also injured.

Investigators say Washam was pulled over near U.S. 45 shortly after, with the sword still in the front seat.

Mobile County Sheriff Paul Burch, serving as captain at the time, says the family didn’t know of Damien suffering from any mental illness.

Prosecutors argued his mental status be evaluated last November.

Almost a year later, court documents say Washam was found legally insane of murder, attempted murder, and assault.

Court documents also say Washam will remain at the Alabama Department of Mental Health for treatment until a petition for his release is filed.
    19 cuts. Harsh.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Darryn Clarke

Dog-walker cut to the bone in samurai sword road rage attack
    Catrin Owen
    06:15, Sep 24 2023

BUDDHIKA WEERASINGHE/GETTY IMAGES
    Darryn Clarke used a replica Samurai sword to attack a dog walker. (Generic photo)

Warning: This story contains details about injuries sustained in a violent attack, which some readers may find distressing

A man was left with chunks of flesh and bone carved out of him after a brutal road rage incident where a motorist, armed with a samurai sword, attacked him and left him bleeding in a ditch.

The victim, who was out walking his dog, was left bleeding in a ditch in critical condition – but managed to survive the attack in the small rural town of Karaka, south of Auckland.

However, the seriousness of the injuries sustained by the victim – who cannot be named for legal reasons – have left the person with ongoing issues, including problems with their speech.

Court documents obtained by Stuff have confirmed the incident, and, how the shocking attack played out.

The incident happened in January, when a dog-walker was taking a stroll on Batty Rd in Karaka.

At around 3pm, Darryn Clarke was driving his 2022 Tesla Model 3 on the same road.

The court documents don’t state what speed Clarke was doing, but the dog walker was concerned by how fast he was driving – and stood in the middle of the lane, indicating for Clarke to slow down.

Clarke did slow down and drove around the dog-walker.

As Clarke passed, the dog-walker tapped the roof of the white Tesla with his palm.

And at that point, the situation quickly escalated.

“The defendant stopped his car. He grabbed a replica samurai sword, covered by a wooden sheath. Wielding the sword, he got out of car and advanced at the complainant,” the agreed summary of facts state.

“The defendant struck the complainant with a downward diagonal strike, starting at the complaint’s neck and continuing down past his shoulder and hitting his left hand. The sword’s sheath shattered on the initial impact; the blade was immediately exposed”.

The sword cut the man’s ear, neck and cleaved a large chunk of flesh and bone from his left shoulder.

He was knocked to the ground by the force and fell into a nearby ditch, while Clarke got back into his Tesla – with his wife and kids inside – and drove away.

RICKY WILSON/STUFF
    The victim was admitted to Middlemore Hospital in critical condition where he underwent emergency surgery and skin grafts.
    The court documents state the victim was “in intense pain and bleeding heavily”.

They managed to get to their feet and make it to a nearby driveway on Batty Road, where they rang the intercom in a bid to get help.

However, no one on the intercom responded.

He then tried to use his phone to call for help, but “could not operate it as the blood prevented him from unlocking it”.

At about 3.08pm, the victim’s son was driving on Batty Rd.

He noticed his father lying in a ditch and the dog nearby.

“He applied emergency first aid to slow the bleeding and called an ambulance.”

The man was taken to Middlemore hospital in a critical condition.

He’d suffered a “deep laceration to his neck, down to the bone but without hitting the spinal cord”.

His jaw was also broken and his facial muscles and nerves were severed.

CHRIS MCKEEN/STUFF
    Darryn Clarke will be sentenced at the Manukau District Court later this year.
    “The sword also cleaved a large chunk of flesh and bone from the man’s left shoulder, which required emergency surgery and skin grafts.”

The tendons in his left hand were also severed. He suffers ongoing facial dropping and a speech impediment as result of the injuries to his face.

When spoken to by police, Clarke admitted the offending and described it as “stupid road rage”.

“He stated he stuck the complainant with the sword inside its sheath, and that he only used 50% force.”

Clarke has pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm with intent to injure.

He will be sentenced in October.
    Cut through the saya.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

cowardly

Follow up on Clarke (see above)

Man given home detention for 'cowardly' samurai sword attack
    From Checkpoint, 5:45 pm on 3 October 2023
    Louise Ternouth , Checkpoint reporter
    louise.ternouth@rnz.co.nz

A man has been sentenced to 10 months' home detention for a "callous and cowardly attack" on a dog walker with a samurai sword.

Darryn Clarke, 43, earlier pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm with intent to injure after the incident in January 2023.

During his sentencing at Manukau District Court today, the court was told that Clarke was driving his Tesla on Batty Rd in Karaka, south Auckland, when the dog walker stepped onto the road and gestured for him to slow down.

Clarke did slow down, then drove around the dog walker, who tapped the roof of his car as it passed.

Clarke then stopped the car and grabbed a replica samurai sword, which was covered by a wooden sheath.

He struck the man with a sideways swing that hit his neck and shoulder.

Darryn Clarke. Photo: RNZ / Louise Ternouth
    According to the summary of facts: "The sword's sheath shattered on the initial impact; the blade was immediately exposed."

The man suffered "horrific injuries" to his ear and neck, including a large chunk of flesh and bone that was cleaved from his left shoulder.

He was knocked to the ground by the force of the strike and fell into a ditch along the roadside. Clarke then drove off.

The dog walker was unable to unlock his phone to call for help due to the amount of blood.

The court was told that the man likely only survived because his son happened to spot him while he was driving home, giving his father first aid and calling an ambulance.

Clarke's wife and two young children were in the back of the car at the time of the attack.

Judge Mina Wharepouri sentenced Clarke to 10 months' home detention, 100 hours of community service, and ordered him to pay $5000 in reparations.

He called the attack "a mindless act of violence which has had serious and far-reaching consequences".

The victim did not appear in court but members of his family submitted victim impact statements to the court.

The dog walker's sister said Clarke's "stupid road rage" had permanently impacted her brother's life, which she said would "never be the same and this will affect him every day for the rest of his life".

His injuries will have lasting effects on his ability to work as an electrician.

In her victim impact statement, the man's daughter said she still experienced panic attacks and had lost confidence since the incident.

"How is it that this person is allowed to go home and continue with his life as though nothing has happened?"

Delivering the sentence today, Judge Wharepouri told Clarke that without the victim's son's "cool head and first aid training there is no doubt you'd be facing a far more serious charge than you are today".
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Landaeta guilty

previous coverage here

California man guilty of beheading mother of 2 with samurai sword, jury rules
    Jose Landaeta's attorney says convicted killer has schizophrenia, frequent psychotic breaks
    By Audrey Conklin
    Published November 22, 2023 4:00am EST

California jury finds man guilty of beheading ex-girlfriend with samurai sword

Jose Solano Landaeta, 34, was found guilty Monday of first-degree murder with the use of a sword in the killing of 27-year-old Karina Castro, according to the San Mateo County District Attorney's Office.

A California man beheaded his ex-girlfriend, a mother of two, with a samurai sword on the street in a daytime attack last September.

On Monday, a jury found Jose Solano Landaeta, 34, guilty of first-degree murder with the use of a sword in the killing of 27-year-old Karina Castro, according to the San Mateo County District Attorney's Office.

"All I can say right now is that I'm relieved, but not as much as I'd like to be," Castro's father, Martin Castro, told reporters outside the San Mateo courthouse on Monday. "While I'm glad he's going to be in prison for as long as humanly possible, my daughter's still gone. I don't find a lot of satisfaction out of this, but I'll take whatever I can get."

"My daughter was my life," he added in his statement recorded by FOX 2 San Francisco. "I just want her back."

A jury has found Jose Solano Landaeta, 34, guilty of first-degree murder with the use of a sword in the killing of 27-year-old Karina Castro, according to the San Mateo County District Attorney's Office. (FOX 2 San Francisco)
    Martin added that he felt the trial was "a joke" that "never needed to happen." He "didn't realize how brutally" his daughter was killed until the trial, he continued.

Karina was a "selfless" woman who "loved her kids more than anything," Martin said. Karina had two young children — one who she shared with Landaeta.

Martin Castro said his daughter, Karina, was a "selfless" woman who "loved her kids more than anything." (Facebook)
    FOX 2 previously reported that Karina had a restraining order against Landaeta but continued to contact him.

Landaeta's attorney, Robert Cummings, told reporters on Monday that Landaeta has schizophrenia and suffers from psychotic breaks, "which is what happened in this case."

Karina Castro was beheaded by the father of her child in San Carlos, California. (GoFundMe)

"The victim in this case, God rest her soul, was pushing everybody she could and threatened [Landaeta's] mother's life. … That drove him to go over there and commit the act that he's now convicted [of]," Cummings said.

"All I can say right now is that I'm relieved, but not as much as I'd like to be," Castro's father, Martin, told reporters Monday. (FOX 2 San Francisco)
    During his arraignment, the then-suspect pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity but was later deemed competent to stand trial. He would go on to give his own testimony but abruptly stopped halfway through, according to FOX 2.

He also refused to attend closing arguments last week, according to San Mateo County records.

Landaeta's attorney told reporters on Monday that Landaeta has schizophrenia and suffers from psychotic breaks, "which is what happened in this case." (FOX 2 San Francisco)
    Cummings described his client as a "working professional" and "one of the … kindest souls you'd run into," but he had regular "psychotic breaks."

Landaeta is facing 26 years to life. He will be eligible for parole after serving his sentence, according to Cummings.

Audrey Conklin is a digital reporter for Fox News Digital and FOX Business. Email tips to audrey.conklin@fox.com or on Twitter at @audpants.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Florida man

Whenever a headline opens with 'Florida man' IYKYK...

Florida man arrested after bizarre road rage incident involving a sword: deputies
    Florida man is behind bars after a bizarre road rage incident involving a unknown object and sword.
    By Stepheny Price Fox News
    Published December 15, 2023 2:31pm EST

Man in Florida faces child abuse and battery charges after allegedly assaulting teens in Walton County in road rage attack.

A Florida man is behind bars after allegedly throwing an object inside another man's vehicle and whipping out a sword during a road rage fight over his revved up engine, according to the Marion County Sheriff's Office.

According to an arrest affidavit, Gervacio Aranca Jr., 65, was arrested and charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon without intent to kill, damage to property $1,000 or more, and throwing missile into a vehicle after the altercation that unraveled in Ocala last Friday.

The incident started when the two men were at a traffic light and Aranca started to rev his engine, according to the affidavit. The victim then confronted Aranca and tried to speak with him through his window, but Aranca started to drive off.

According to the affidavit, the two men proceeded to yell at each other from their cars while driving down Highway 200, when Aranca allegedly threw an unknown object from his car that hit the back door of the victim's car, ultimately causing about $1,000 in damage, according to the victim.

Florida man arrested in bizarre road rage incident. (Marion County Sheriff's Office)

The incident continued as both parties pulled over and Aranca got out of his car with a sword in his hand, got within a few feet of the victim and thrust the sword forward in an attempt to stab him, the affidavit stated.

The victim, who said he was in fear of being hurt, was able to get out of the way and run back to his car before calling 911 a second time, the affidavit said.

According to the affidavit, the victim then took a video of parts of the incident which he shared with deputies.

Deputies were able to find Aranca from the license plate on the vehicle in the video.

After visiting the home a second time, on Sunday, deputies were able to speak to Aranca, who said the victim initiated the road rage incident and "sideswiped" his car, the affidavit said.

Aranca claimed he was also in fear for his life as the victim pointed a gun at him, which was proven to be false according to Aranca's wife, who said she never saw a firearm, the affidavit said.

When deputies asked Aranca why he didn't call 911 during the incident, he said he "didn't need to because the victim advised he was calling 911," the affidavit said.

Deputies say a Florida man was arrested in a road rage incident that began with a revved car engine. (FOX News)

After Aranca was read his Miranda Rights, he refused to speak with deputies and was transported to the Marion County Jail, where he remains on $19,000 bond.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Alexandra C. Hopkins

Police: Leesburg woman arrested after swinging sword at officer
    InsideNoVa Staff 19 hrs ago

Alexandra C. Hopkins

A Leesburg woman is accused of swinging a sword at a police officer during an incident last Thursday.

Leesburg police officers arrived in the 800 block of Edwards Ferry Road, NE, Thursday to serve a warrant on a subject when the suspect – later identified as 35-year-old Alexandra C. Hopkins – allegedly swung a sword at one of the officers and fled into a residence, according to a Leesburg Police Department news release.

Another person in the area reported Hopkins also swung a sword at them.

Hopkins was eventually taken into custody and charged with one count of assault on law enforcement, one count of assault, two counts of brandishing a weapon and two unrelated warrants from another law enforcement agency, the release states.

She was transported to the Loudoun County Adult Detention Center, where she was being held without bond Monday.

A Leesburg woman is alleged to have swung this sword at a Leesburg police officer on Feb. 8.

Correction: An earlier version of this story misstated the suspect's age. She is 35. The previous, inaccurate information was provided by the Leesburg Police Department, which notified InsideNoVa of the mistake.
    That sword tho...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Fabian Brown

Man stabbed with sword after allegedly eating a Myrtle Beach man’s food, report says
    BY EMALYN MUZZY FEBRUARY 15, 2024 5:10 PM

GETTY IMAGES | ROYALTY FREE Getty Images/iStockphoto

A Myrtle Beach man allegedly stabbed another man with a sword Tuesday after getting in an argument over food.

Myrtle Beach Police arrested Fabian Brown, 40, on charges of aggravated assault of a high nature and possession of a weapon during a violent crime.

The incident happened about 10 p.m. on Little River Road.

Brown was booked into the J. Reuben Long Detention Center and is currently being held on a $15,000 bond Brown got into a fight with the man for eating his food, according to the police report.

The fight became heated and there was a lot of shouting when Brown went to his room and closed the door.

The report did not state what the relationship is between the victim and Brown The man then went to Brown’s room, opened the door and lunged at him, according to the report.

It was then that Brown stabbed the man in the stomach with a sword. However, the victim stated that Brown came back out of his room with a sword and then stabbed him.

EMALYN MUZZY Emalyn Muzzy is a breaking news reporter for The Sun. She covers everything breaking and everything new in the Myrtle Beach area. She graduated from the University of Minnesota is 2022 with a degree in journalism and Spanish.
    Wonder what he was eating?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips