Thread: Bad Day for Samurai Wannabes

Slighty OT

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Man kills parents with samurai sword

The love of money...

A 39-year-old man was charged Friday with killing his two elderly parents with a samurai sword, leaving behind a scene in their metro Atlanta home that a police commander described as "horrific."

Calvin Ray Jr. waived his appearance at an initial court hearing where he was charged with two counts of murder. DeKalb County authorities said they found samurai swords in a search of the home where a 73-year-old woman and her 75-year-old husband were stabbed to death.

Police said the swords were used to kill the couple in what DeKalb County Police Chief Cedric Alexander described as a "horrific scene" inside the suburban Atlanta home. The bodies were found by a relative who visited their house Thursday afternoon.

"One of the family members came home, and when she came inside the house, she saw the two victims lying in the bedroom," Alexander said.

The couple's 39-year-old son was identified as a suspect and was found at a nearby park less than two hours after his parents' deaths were reported, DeKalb County police spokeswoman Mekka Parish said. It was unclear Friday whether he had a defense attorney.

Parish said detectives believe the victims and their son may have argued about money. The case remains under investigation.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

This could be bad or good depending where the ball went...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-sword-in-hand
    The samurai threw out the first pitch in order to promote the “Samurai: Beyond the Sword” exhibit at the Detroit Institute of Arts. John Truong did the honors of throwing out the first pitch, complete with sword in hand.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  68.9 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  72.7 KB
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

almost severed an arm

Sword attack leaves Harlingen man's arm severed through the bone
    by Ryan Wolf
    Posted: 06.06.2014 at 10:54 PM
    Ryan Wolf is an anchor and reporter for Action 4 News.

Inside a room at Valley Baptist Medical Center in Harlingen, the hugs are a little tighter.

The kisses hold even more meaning.

That's because family members know just how close they were to losing Michael Hernandez in a vicious sword attack on Monday.

"There was just blood everywhere and my arm was halfway hanging," he told Action 4’s Ryan Wolf from his hospital bed.

The 23-year-old describes the weapon wielded as a Japanese sword.

He says it was used after the attacker first hit him on the head with a 2x4 piece of wood.

"When I tried to defend myself, he took a real hard swing at me across my face but I blocked myself and picked up my arm and I just ended up feeling my arm go limp," he described.

Life will never be the same for the Harlingen father of two.

His left arm is held together by two plates fastened by a dozen screws.

It took two, eight hour surgeries to try and repair it.

Doctors will perform one more surgery and tell him the recovery will be lengthy, according to Michael.

That’s because the sword reportedly cut through ligaments, nerves and even the bone.

Michael’s focus remains on trying to get better but also to get justice.

He blames the La Feria Police Department for dragging its feet in the investigation.

“What they're doing right now isn't right,” he said. “The guy is still on the loose and he hasn't even been caught. They tell me I cannot file charges until I'm out of the hospital and until I go in person over there. No investigator has come to visit me or anything."

Ryan takes Michael's concern to Police Chief Don Garcia.

"What do you think when you see that?” Ryan says while pointing to a photo of Michael’s injury in the hospital.

“That's pretty horrible," the chief responded.

He calls it the result of a targeted attack between long-time feuding families."We know that there was two people involved,” the chief said. “We know that there were two weapons used in the commission of the crime."

But with his two primary investigators upstate on training for the week, he says the case remains in its infancy stage while trying to obtain sworn statements.

"Unfortunately, this happened while the investigator was out but we are doing everything we can right now," Chief Garcia said.

Michael doesn't think it's enough.

He believes his attacker tried to exact revenge against him for an assault case many years ago that led to Michael’s arrest.

Chief Garcia wouldn't elaborate on a possible motive just yet but says it may have resulted over a stolen gun.

He expects an arrest in the case as early as next week.
    The investigator was out? WTH?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sword type unknown

UPDATE: Watertown police make arrest in sword stabbing death
    Updated: Fri 6:49 PM, Jun 20, 2014

UPDATED Friday, June 20, 2014 --- 4:37 p.m.

Police say a Watertown Man attacked two people with a sword, killing one of them.

29-year-old Young Choi is charged with first degree intentional homicide in the death of Dustin Vanderheyden.

The attack happened Thursday afternoon at an apartment at Yanger's Bar on N. 4th Street.

According to the criminal complaint, a witness called police after seeing a man attacking another with the sword.

That witness yelled at the man to stop, and the attacker turned around and swung the sword at him. The witness was cut in the hand.

Vanderheyden crawled into his apartment. He later died during surgery.

Police found Choi at the top of a stairwell and eventually arrested him.

According to the criminal complaint, Vanderheyden's wife told police Choi had been making bizarre comments all week about being "God."

She said Choi told her on Wednesday that he wanted her to be with him and she should leave her husband. Choi also had allegedly told her he was going to get a sword and stab her husband but she convinced him not to do it.

She told officers she thought there wasn't going to be an issue.

Friday June 20, 2014

WATERTOWN, Wis.--- Police in Watertown have arrested a man accused of stabbing two people with a sword. One of the victims died.

The stabbing happened Thursday afternoon in a second floor boarding house on N. 4th St. in Watertown.

A man called police saying a man with a sword was attacking someone. The caller had an injury to his hand, according to a news release from Watertown police. And second victim was more seriously injured. That man was taken to the hospital where he died.

Police found the suspect on a top stairwell leading to a second floor. A negotiator was called to help get the man with the sword to give up. He was arrested and is charged with First Degree Intentional Homicide and First Degree Reckless Injury.

No names have been released. The man who died was 27 years old. The man who was injured is 24 years old. The man who is charged is 29 years old.
    She was wrong. It was an issue.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

another samurai sword

Charge: Sword-swinging mom slashed daughter
    ‘I was gonna cut her head off’
    BY LEVI PULKKINEN, SEATTLEPI.COM STAFF
    Updated 12:18 pm, Wednesday, July 9, 2014

A Kirkland woman accused of slashing her daughter with a sword now faces an assault charge.

Accused in a June 27 attack, Sharon Kay Rosin is alleged to have slashed at her 24-year-old daughter with a samurai sword. King County prosecutors contend Rosin, 64, admitted to the swordplay and told police she armed herself “to be a *****.”

Shortly before 11 p.m., Kirkland police were called to the home by Rosin’s daughter, who reported her mother attacked her moments before.

Police arrived to find Rosin’s daughter outside the house and a very drunk Rosin inside, a Kirkland police officer said in charging papers. The younger woman explained her mother berated her earlier in the night before arming herself with the 2 1/2-foot-long sword and attacking her.

Rosin swung the sword twice, striking her daughter in the arm before she was able to flee, the officer continued. Rosin managed to cut herself during the altercation.

Arrested at the scene, Rosin explained she picked up the sword “’cause I was gonna cut her head off,” the officer told the court.

“I picked up the sword and thought this would be a good idea,” Rosin told police, according to charging papers. “Then I fell on the sword.”

The officer said Rosin went on to admit to holding a knife to her daughter’s throat days before.

Police seized a sword from the home.

Rosin has been charged with second-degree assault. She remains jailed on $10,000 bail.
    Messed up mom.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

At least she fell on her sword....

Dublin Pub fight

Wednesday 27 August 2014
    Alleged murderer 'sliced to death with samurai sword after night taking cocaine in Dublin', inquest told
    Eoghan McNeill
    PUBLISHED
    27/08/2014 | 12:26SHARE

VIDEO: Alleged murderer 'sliced to death with samurai sword after night taking cocaine in Dublin', inquest told
    360p low
    00:00 / 01:01
    An alleged murderer was sliced to death with a Samurai sword after a night of drinking and taking cocaine in a Dublin pub, an inquest has heard.

Jason Martin (32) came to Ireland in August 2009 after UK police found his DNA at the murder scene of drug dealer and construction boss Paul Brady (43).

Garda forensic officers examine the scene of the fatal brawl outside Hannigen's pub in Park West in Dublin yesterday

Brady had been beaten by a gang of balaclava-wearing men carrying baseball bats and firearms, who then abducted him from a building site in Lancashire, England.

A month after fleeing to Ireland, Martin was found bleeding to death from a 14.5cm-long wound outside Hannigen’s pub in Ballyfermot.

Jason Martin

Martin’s wound was the result of a mass brawl in the pub, those involved using swords, crutches and hockey sticks, an inquest in Manchester heard.

“I could see them using various weapons, hockey sticks, two crutches and one male repeatedly smashing a bottle over someone,” Garda Joseph Glackin told the inquest.

He detailed how he saw Martin with his “intestines hanging out,” through a wound which ripped through his liver, ribs and diaphragm.

His death was caused by a single stab wound to the chest, a post-mortem concluded.

Although twenty-nine people were arrested and 360 statements taken following the brawl that killed Martin, no one has been charged.
    'swords, crutches and hockey sticks'...now that's a bar fight...er, pub fight.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

2nd amendment right?

...to bring a weapon to a school?
    Sword-wielding parent goes on trial today
    BORYS KRAWCZENIUK, STAFF WRITER
    Published: September 24, 2014

The sword-carrying parent of a Scranton School District student will go on trial today for bringing the weapon to the district administration building last September as he complained about a uniform policy.

William Giordano, 39, of 1309 Vine St., was upset at a district policy that requires students to wear shirts with “Scranton School District” embroidered on them, according to the affidavit charging him with possession of a weapon on school property and disorderly conduct.

Mr. Giordano contends the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution guarantees him the right to carry the sword.

Under a plea agreement, Mr. Giordano pleaded guilty in December to having the sword on school grounds, but withdrew his guilty plea July 29 for reasons that remain unclear.

The confrontations that led to his arrest happened on Sept. 17 and 18, 2013.

District employees Paula Joyce and Mary Theresa Ruddy told police Mr. Giordano and Jennifer Sheerer came into their office in the administration building at 425 N. Washington Ave., “causing a scene about the school shirts.”

“Both said they immediately noticed that the offender was carrying a large sword inside a sheath,” Patrolman Kevin Davis wrote in the arrest affidavit. “Both Ms. Joyce and Ms. Ruddy became alarmed and nervous because the offender (Mr. Giordano) was yelling at them and he was carrying a large sword.”

Ms. Joyce asked him to put the sword on her desk “until they finished their business.”

“The offender refused her request and cited the Second Amendment right to bear arms and protect himself,” the patrolman wrote.

Superintendent William King eventually talked to Mr. Giordano, who was “loud and disturbing” and threatening to sue the district. Mr. King calmed down Mr. Giordano and gave him shirts embroidered with the district’s name.

The next day, the couple returned, complaining they didn’t have embroidered sweatshirts for their children.

Again, Mr. Giordano wore the sword.

Both women said Mr. Giordano “became unruly, loud and belligerent and refused to leave when they asked him.”

Jessica Leitzel, the district’s supervisor of elementary education at the time, was in her office and told police she “overheard the offender yelling and screaming.”

She also noticed “the large sword hanging from the offender’s belt.”

Asked to leave again, Mr. Giordano refused.

Worried that he might pull out the sword, Ms. Ruddy called 911.

By the time police arrived, the couple had left, so Patrolman Davis and fellow Patrolman Donald Hofsommer went to Mr. Giordano’s home.

Just as Patrolman Davis was about to knock, the door flung open.

“What do you want?” Mr. Giordano bellowed, according to the affidavit.

He was wearing the sword, still sheathed on his right hip.

The patrolman asked for his name and other personal information for his report.

“I don’t have to give you any information,” Mr. Giordano replied, according to the affidavit. “Police are bullies wearing a uniform.”

He again cited his Second Amendment right.

Patrolman Davis crossed the street and called Lackawanna County Assistant District Attorney Jennifer McCambridge, who approved the charges police eventually filed.

While they talked by phone, Mr. Giordano walked out of his house and yelled, “Show me where it says I can’t carry a weapon on school property.”

Police didn’t show him. They arrested him and took away his sword.

“Now you’re on my list,” Mr. Giordano said, according to the affidavit.

Asked what he meant, Mr. Giordano replied, “You’ll see.”

That was not Mr. Giordano’s first encounter with police.

In March 2011, he and Ms. Sheerer refused to show identification at the entrance to Northeast Intermediate School, asserting Patrolman John Burgette was violating his rights even asking for ID.

Ordered to leave, he began screaming, and Patrolman Burgette tried to arrest him. As Ms. Sheerer yelled profanities at the officer, he struggled to get Mr. Giordano under control, which he accomplished with the help of an off-duty, part-time Dunmore policeman, a teacher at the school.

Mr. Giordano and Ms. Sheerer were charged with disorderly conduct and Mr. Giordano also with resisting arrest. After a trial, both were found not guilty.

Contact the writer:
    bkrawczeniuk@timesshamrock.com
    wait...not guilty? srsly?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I've always thought the 2nd am. Confusing. Does it say what type of "arms" we may carry?

3 months for Sword Guy

Sword Guy - that sure sounds like a KFM forum member name, don't it?

‘Sword guy’ sentenced to short jail stint
    By Peter Cameron
    Published: November 26, 2014

Giordano

A Scranton man will spend three months in jail for bringing a sword to a Scranton school building.

On Tuesday, Lackawanna County Judge Michael Barrasse sentenced William Giordano, 1309 Vine St., to three months in Lackawanna County Prison, starting immediately, followed by another three months of house arrest. A jury convicted Giordano, 39, last month of bringing a sword to a Scranton School District administration building. He had faced a maximum of 10 years in state prison.

Giordano “deeply” apologized to the court for frightening district employees when he entered the district’s administration building on consecutive days in September 2013, armed with the sword, to complain about the dress code. Before the incident, he commonly carried the weapon around, leading to his nickname “sword guy,” said one of his attorneys, First Assistant Public Defender Jody Kalinowski.

Angered about the cost of buying clothes for his child that adhere to the district dress code, Giordano yelled at school employees at the administration building. He returned to yell some more after he was given clothes for his child. He also told police he had a split personality named “Leo” and bickered with prosecutors during his one-day trial last month.

“To say he’s scared right now is an understatement,” Kalinowski told the judge before the sentencing.

Following his jail sentence, Giordano will also have a 6˝-year period of court supervision, in which time he must undergo a full mental health examination, and not step onto school property or carry a weapon anywhere without court approval.

After the sentencing, sheriff’s deputies cuffed Giordano and took him to jail. He had been out on bail since his arrest last year.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

another two-fer

Homey below can't even hold his sword right.
    Racist thug jailed for slashing man with a samurai sword was caught on camera threatening to 'kill all Polish people'
    A judge congratulates and thanks an amateur photographer for securing vital evidence against Gareth Devlin, 28, from Port Clarence, Teesside

Gareth Devlin, 28, who slashed a man in the back with a samurai sword and has been jailed for five years Photo: PA

By Agency 6:44PM GMT 01 Dec 2014

A racist thug who slashed a man in the back with a samurai sword has been jailed for five years after his terrifying attack was caught on camera by a witness.

An amateur photographer snapped Gareth Devlin, 28, from Port Clarence, Teesside, brandishing the fearsome weapon in the street and threatening to "kill all Polish people".

Polish nationals had been drinking and chatting to their neighbours during the World Cup on July 12.

The cameraman handed the pictures to the police who were investigating after a man was slashed in the back with the sword.

Devlin admitted wounding with intent, affray and possession of an offensive weapon, a court official confirmed.

Prosecutor Paul Cleasby told Teesside Crown Court Devlin shouted "Come on" as he brandished the sword, GazetteLive reported.

Mr Cleasby added: "One of the witnesses, to their great credit, grabbed a camera.

"He was a keen photographer and he was able to take photographs of the assailants.

"That at the time proved to be the best evidence.

"Your Honour sees Gareth Devlin with a sword in his hand in broad daylight walking down the street.

"He has attempted to disguise himself with a hood over his face."

Mr Cleasby said witnesses to the terrifying attack since left the area, making the photos even more crucial.

He added: "Were it not for his quick thinking and good work, the Crown would not have the case that they have."

Judge Simon Bourne-Arton, the Recorder of Middlesbrough sitting at Teesside Crown Court, jailed Devlin for five years and thanked the photographer.

Another man had previously admitted affray.

Both men were wearing hoods in an attempt to disguise themselves.

Outside court, Detective Constable Alan O'Donoghue, of Cleveland Police, said: "We very much welcome the sentence given today.

"It sends a clear message that people cannot behave in this way, threatening people in broad daylight in the street.

"We will always do all we can to bring offenders before the courts."

Sword man threatened police

Crime news

Published on the 04 December 2014 15:55

A man stabbed and slashed towards police officers with two Samurai swords threatening to slice them up, a court heard.

Police reinforcements and an armed response unit had to be called to subdue Wayne Mitchell, who had to be shot with a stun gun.

Mitchell, 46, of Bold Street, Fleetwood, pleaded guilty to affray and assault.

He was bailed to appear at Preston Crown Court on January 2 for sentence by Blackpool magistrates. He must not enter Balmoral Terrace, Fleetwood, as conditions of his bail.

Karen Saffman, prosecuting, said Mitchell went round to a man’s home in Fleetwood, grabbed him by the neck and punched him in the face, asking for his DVD’s back on November 26 at 9.20pm

The man alerted police and officers arrived at Mitchell’s home.

He told them they needed a warrant and if they came in without one he would use his swords.

Mitchell shouted: “Any officer who enters will be dead. I hate the police” before grabbing his swords.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Went at cops with a sword and just got tazed? Jeeze, in the U.S. they'd probably shoot you 40 times if you were buttering toast with a plastic knife when they kicked down the door...
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Especially if you are black, eh Kellen?

Oh, did I just post that?

DJ who 'senselessly' stabbed ex-girlfriend with martial arts sword in street jailed for 22 years
    Dec 05, 2014 00:07
    By -->

Justice Cruickshank murdered Helen Dillon in Prout Grove, Neasden, northwest London, in front of several shocked members of the public

Justice Cruickshank, 55, was found guilty of murdering Helen Dillon with a Japanese sword

Savage: The judge said the murder was 'senseless and needless'

An amateur DJ will serve at least 22 years jail after he ‘senselessly’ stabbed his former girlfriend to death in the street with a martial arts sword.

Justice Cruickshank, 55, was found guilty of murdering Helen Dillon in Prout Grove, Neasden, northwest London, with a Japanese sword on 29 May this year.

Ms Dillon suffered the fatal stab to the chest while pinned against a garage door, penetrating her heart in front of several members of the public.

Today a judge handed Cruickshank a life sentence with a minimum of 22 years behind bars after a jury of eight men and four women returned a unanimous guilty murder verdict at Isleworth Crown Court.

Cruickshank, who claimed he couldn’t remember the incident because of the amount of alcohol he had drunk on the fatal day, had already admitted Ms Dillon’s manslaughter.

Judge Richard McGregor-Johnson, Recorder of the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, branded the killing ‘senseless’ and ‘needless’.

He told Cruickshank: ‘You have been found guilty of murdering your friend Helen Dillon, whose life you took senselessly and needlessly.

"I see two elements leading up to this act. Firstly, your decision to take a fearsome weapon with you despite, ironically, being told by Helen Dixon not to, is one factor that led to everything that happened after that.

"The second is that you were in an alcohol fuelled rage.

"You had approached the house almost in that state and were in a worse state by the end of the road is because you blamed Helen for an argument with Woods.

"Before you used the weapon, you punched and threw her to the ground and kicked her.

"This was a sustained and prolonged attack. You also produced a sword and threatened a man who only tried to intervene to help your victim.

"In doing so terrified his seven-year-old son, during an awful act of violence on the streets."

Ms Dillon, a mother-of-one, was ‘in no position to escape’ from the ‘sustained violence’ he unleashed, the judge added.

Earlier, the trial heard that Cruickshank had met Ms Dillon on the way to her flat during the afternoon of 29 May where he anticipated an argument with her current boyfriend, Tom Woods.

Cruickshank and Woods often argued, and the killer had previously attacked Woods with a knife.

On 29 May witnesses saw Cruickshank and Ms Dillon walking towards her flat in the middle of an argument.

Cruickshank walked away shouting when Mr Woods appeared but the two others ran after him.

Woods shouted at his partner: ‘You can go f*** off with this black guy and have his big d**k,’ the court was told.

Other witnesses saw Cruickshank punch Ms Dillon to the ground and later kick her after she grabbed his arm.

When confronted by a passer-by Cruickshank pulled out the sword hidden in his trousers.

Once Ms Dillon and Woods caught up with Cruickshank again, he pushed Ms Dillon up against a garage door.

He then pulled out the sword and ‘smashed’ it into her chest with ‘8/10 force.’

Cruickshank then put the sword away and calmly walked off.

A post-mortem examination revealed the puncture to Ms Dillon’s chest was six inches deep and severed two arteries as well as piercing her lung.

Cruickshank told police said he had downed two glasses of vodka and eight cans of Budweiser beforehand but claimed someone must have spiked his drink.

The killer, of Mandarin Court, Neasden, admitted manslaughter but denied murder.

He was jailed for life and will spend a a minimum of 22 years behind bars before he can be can be considered for parole.
    Must not have been that big of a sword to be able to hide it in his trousers....
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

They refer to it as a "Japanese sword" and then as a "martial arts sword", but I'm betting it was probably a knife of some kind. As you say, it must have been a small 'sword' to hide it in his trousers, use it, and put it away again. Perhaps the other boyfriend mistook it for his "big ****."