Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad Day for Samurai Wannabes

sword rampage

not as newsworthy as a gun rampage.

Samurai Sword Murderers Sentenced For Family, NASA Scientist Slayings
    by Jean Trinh in News on Oct 2, 2015 2:15 pm

Steve Kwon (left) and Jai Shim (right) were arrested on June 28, 2008 after Mexican police found them near the border and took them to the Douglas, Ariz. (Photos via Cochise County Sheriff’s Office)

Two men convicted of murdering five people, including a NASA scientist, with a samurai sword and a baseball bat in Quartz Hill in 2008 were sentenced today.

Jae Shim, 46, was sentenced to life in prison without parole, and Steve Kwon, 45, got 125 years to life, according to City News Service.

"These crimes were hideous ... They were brutal beyond belief,'' Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Larry Paul Fidler said in court today before their sentencing.

Kwon and Shim each pleaded guilty to the June 23, 2008 killing rampage earlier this year. The victims of the disturbing slayings were Shim's 34-year-old ex-wife, Jenny Young Park; her boyfriend, 34-year-old Si Young Yoon; her 13-year-old daughter Jamie; her 11-year-old son Justin; and her cousin's husband, 60-year-old NASA engineer, Joseph Ciganek. Prosecutors said Kwon bludgeoned the victims with a baseball bat in Ciganek's home in Quartz Hill, a city just southwest of Lancaster, and then Shim finished them off with a samurai sword. They then set Park and her two children on fire. Yoon's body was dumped in Mexico.

Shim pleaded guilty to the murders and arson in February, and admitted to the special circumstance allegations of murder while lying in wait. He then agreed to testify against Kwon so that he could avoid the death penalty, according to the AP. Kwon would plead guilty to the murders and arson in July.

Deputy District Attorney Beth Silverman with the Major Crimes Division said in July that Shim was angered by the fact that his ex-wife and Yoon had recently become engaged, and then asked Kim, a longtime friend from Korea, to help him murder them. They also meant to kill Ciganek's wife, but she wasn't home at the time of the slayings.

"It's horrific," Silverman said. "Five people were bludgeoned and stabbed to death, and the mother and her two children were piled onto a bed and set on fire to the point they were unrecognizable and had to be identified through dental records."

Silverman said in court that Shim and Kwon meant to frame Yoon, who was a tae kwon do instructor, for the murders, and planned to bury him in the Angeles National Forest. However, they made a wrong move and inadvertently left the murder weapons in the home before they set the place on fire. They decided to change their plans and flee to Mexico, where they dumped Yoon's body, but then their car got stuck in the desert and they got lost, Silverman said. Mexican police found them near the border and took them to Douglas, Ariz., where they were arrested.

Yoon's body was only found recently after Shim provided information to authorities leading them to his remains, which were in a bag in Mexico.

During the sentencing today, Yoon's family members spoke about their loss. Yoon's mother, Ok-Soon Yoon, who had left her son's room untouched for years, said, "Over seven years of time, I had no idea what happened to my son. Now I have no choice of accepting the fact that he is gone and dead.''

Yoon's sister SiJeong Yoon yelled at Shim and Kwon, "You deserve to die!"

Silverman also said that Shim and Park were in the middle of a custody battle for their son. Park had moved into Ciganek's house after her divorce from Shim because she was close with her cousin.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Swedish sword rampage

Two Killed, Three Injured by Sword-Wielding Man on Rampage Through Swedish School
    Jay Hathaway
    Filed to: SWORD ATTACK10/22/15 9:28am

A teacher and a young student were killed Thursday morning when a masked man with a sword attacked a school in the Swedish town of Trollhattan.

Police shot the suspect, who is reportedly in his 20s, shortly after the attack started—around 10 a.m. local time. He’s now in a hospital in serious condition. Two wounded male students, ages 11 and 15, were also taken to the hospital and reportedly in serious condition. The BBC reported one of the boys later died.

According to Sweden’s The Local, another teacher and a third student are also being treated at the hospital, and an ambulance crashed into a school wall as it arrived on scene.

Students who saw the masked man initially thought he was joking, according to Swedish TV reports cited by the BBC.

“He had a mask and black clothes and a long sword,” one said.

Another thought the man had been wearing a Star Wars mask.

The Local also ran one teenage student’s harrowing accounts of being chased by the man:

“I was in a classroom with my class when one of my classmates’ sisters called her to warn her that there was a murderer at the school. So we locked the door to the classroom, but our teacher was still outside in the corridor.”

“We wanted to warn him, so a few of us went outside and then I saw the murderer, he was wearing a mask and had a sword. Our teacher got stabbed.”

“The murderer started chasing me, I ran into another classroom. If I had not run, I would have been murdered. I’m feeling really scared. Everyone’s scared here.”
    “This is a dark day for Sweden,” Prime Minister Stephen Löfven said in a statement.

[Photo: AP Images]
    I'm morbidly tempted to say this wouldn't happen if the teachers all carried swords, but I can't make light of such a tragedy.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

CCTV shows two men enter shop with sword and large machete

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

srsly?

Alabama man stabs friend to death with Civil War sword during mobile home brawl
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS Monday, January 18, 2016, 8:04 PM A A A

MONROE COUNTY SHERIFF
    Stanley Pace reportedly stabbed to death his friend with a replica Civil War sword.

SPLUNGE, Miss. — Authorities have arrested an Alabama man accused of fatally stabbing another man with a replica Civil War sword after a fight at a mobile home in Mississippi.

Monroe County Sheriff Cecil Cantrell told the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal that 47-year-old Stanley Pace of Pale City, Alabama, chased 43-year-old Ronnie Max Duke of Amory down a street before stabbing him approximately 20 times with the sword late Friday night.

Cantrell said investigators arrested Pace on a murder charge Sunday after Duke was reported missing. Monroe County Coroner Alan Gurley said Duke’s body was recovered Monday afternoon.

Cantrell said Pace had hidden Duke’s body beside the road before moving it to a garbage dump.

Pace was being held at the Monroe County jail pending his arraignment. It was not known whether he had a lawyer.
    rednecks and swords do NOT mix
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    rednecks and swords do NOT mix
    That guy is a walking stereotype. I picture him acting like Leatherface's skinny brother in the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre; the dude who hitches a ride in the van and talks about head cheese.

Last edited by Jimbo; 01-20-2016 at 07:34 PM.

Slightly OT

Actually this is good news for wannabe samurai smart phones. This is a heck of a lot of work to put into a samurai smart phone case.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

an alcohol fueled argument that turned into a wrestling match

3-Foot Samurai Sword Used in Fatal Slaying of Pine Valley Man: Atty.
    Douglas Kell, 20, is accused of killing Donnie Chip, 28, who was found stabbed to death on Valley View Trail on Jan. 21
    By Samantha Tatro and Monica Garske

A Pine Valley man found stabbed to death was killed using a 3 foot Samurai sword, prosecutors revealed in court Tuesday. NBC 7's Omari Fleming has more from the suspect's arraignment. (Published Tuesday, Jan. 26, 2016)

Douglas Kell, 20, is accused of killing Donnie Chip, 28, who was found stabbed to death on Valley View Trail on Jan. 21. During his first appearance in court, Kell pleaded not guilty to a first degree murder charge and a use of a deadly weapon charge.

On Thursday, just before 5:30 p.m., the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department (SDSO) said deputies were called to the 8000 block of Valley View Trail after a neighbor reported hearing loud noises and some sort of altercation coming from a nearby home.

When deputies arrived in the area, they discovered the lifeless body of a man, Chip, lying in the yard of a home. Chip had suffered obvious signs of trauma to his torso, investigators said.

Prosecutors say Kell and the 28-year-old acquaintance got into an alcohol fueled argument that turned into a wrestling match. The two of them lived together.

Chip followed Attorneyo the house, then went back outside, where he was attached, said John Cross, San Diego Deputy District Attoreny.

"The victim goes back outside at some point," Cross said. "Inside, the defendant goes into his room and gets a 3-foot Samurai sword. He goes back outside and stabs victim through chest."

Kell could face 26 years to life behind bars.

Published at 4:26 PM PST on Jan 26, 2016

There's something amiss with this sentence: "Chip followed Attorneyo the house, then went back outside, where he was attached, said John Cross, San Diego Deputy District Attoreny."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ouch

Actors who die in acting accidents - seems so pointless to me. So sad.

Actor dies in rehearsal after being pierced in abdomen with prop samurai sword
    KYODO
    FEB 16, 2016

An actor died after being pierced in the abdomen by a prop samurai sword during rehearsals for a play in a Tokyo studio, police said.

Daigo Kashino, 33, was using the 73-cm-long samurai sword during the rehearsal session Monday with other actors at the studio in Taito Ward. The police received a report around 11:50 a.m. that the sword had pierced his abdomen.

Kashino was rushed to a hospital where he was later confirmed dead. The sword was a prop, the police said.

An autopsy will be conducted to confirm the cause of death.
    February 16, 2016, 11:53 AM
    Japanese actor slain with sword during play rehearsal

TOKYO - An actor was fatally stabbed with a katana, or samurai sword, while rehearsing a play at a Tokyo studio, and police were investigating whether his death was criminal or accidental. Officials have not determined yet whether the sword used was real of fake.

Media reports indicated several actors were performing an action scene when the man was stabbed Monday, and no one saw what exactly happened.

Japanese public broadcaster NHK reported that the other actors saw Daigo Kashino hunched over, wounded in the abdomen, when they turned around after hearing him groan.

Kashino, 33, was an actor with the theater group in downtown Tokyo. He was rushed to a hospital but died hours later, police said.

The Japan Times reports the sword was about 28-inches long.

Police didn't describe the sword or if it might have had safety features to prevent injury.
    Wait... safety features on a sword? Like a gun lock?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Prince Zylinski

Now why isn't this guy in the U.S. Presidential race? He'd fit right in for sure.

Meet Prince Zylinski: the sword-wielding Polish aristocrat who wants to be London mayor
    Last year the property millionaire challenged Nigel Farage to a duel – and now he’s got Sadiq Khan and Zac Goldsmith in his sights

‘Zac Goldsmith has no real achievements in life’ … Prince Zylinski. Photograph: Evening Standard/Evening Standard / eyevine

Patrick Greenfield @Greenfpa
    Sunday 14 February 2016 13.00 EST Last modified on Sunday 14 February 2016 19.05 EST

Settling disputes by way of a sword fight has fallen out of favour in the past couple of centuries or so, but in April 2015 Prince John Zylinski was angry. “Enough is enough, Mr Farage,” warned the Polish aristocrat, clutching his saber as he stared into the camera. “I’d like us to meet in Hyde Park one morning, with our swords, and resolve this matter.”

The Lewisham-born prince is a property developer whose aristocratic family were uprooted by the communist government before fleeing to Britain during the second world war. He is now standing for Mayor of London. His anger with Farage stemmed from the Ukip leader’s criticisms of migrant workers and he wanted to challenge the “benefit scrounger” stereotype he believes taints the image of Polish immigrants in Britain.

Farage’s reluctance to duel the millionaire was understandable. In 1939, the same sword was used to dispatch a squadron of invading Nazi soldiers by Zylinski’s father, a cavalry officer in the Polish army. “[The mayoral campaign] is my own version of my father’s cavalry charge,” says the Prince. A knight in shining armour to some of London’s 500,000 Poles, Zylinski has plenty to say about the leading candidates Sadiq Khan, and particularly Zac Goldsmith, who has “no real achievements in life apart from inheriting £300m and running an ecology magazine”.

He is especially critical of Khan’s London Living Rent scheme that would introduce rent controls in the capital. “Ho Chi Minh, who was a communist, he said rent controls are like atomic warfare, the best way to destroy a city. So it’s not the answer.”

As mayor, Prince Zylinski would “turbo charge” housing construction, aiming to build 1.25m homes to solve the housing crisis, with at least 30% as affordable housing. “I’ve been doing this for 30 years,” he says. “I can guarantee the results.”

Although reluctant to confirm his total worth, the Prince is proud of his wealth and his achievements in property. “I made millions and millions of pounds. I won’t tell you how many but last year, when I divorced my wife, I gave her 35 flats.”

Zylinski’s most notable property is the White House in Ealing, a reconstruction of his grandmother’s 18th-century Polish palace that was burned down during the communist era. From there, the shining glass of City Hall on the banks of the Thames would be a step down the property ladder.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

a two-fer

Judge: Death still in play for Samurai sword killer
    John A. Torres, FLORIDA TODAY 5:55 p.m. EST February 23, 2016

Convicted murderer Anthony Welch may still face the death penalty. Video by John Torres / Wochit. Wochit

Convicted murderer Anthony Welch
    (Photo: Dept. of Corrections)

Less than a week after Brevard Circuit Judge James Earp said Florida's death penalty was unconstitutional, his colleague a few courtrooms away ruled that it was.

Circuit Judge Charlie Crawford denied convicted murderer Anthony Welch's motion to take the death penalty off the table and institute a life sentence. Welch had previously been sentenced to death but his sentence -- not his conviction -- was overturned.

"The death penalty has not been ruled unconstitutional," Crawford emphasized. "Mr. Welch plead knowing the death penalty was constitutional at that time and it is still constitutional. The only issue before me is how to meet the Sixth Amendment requirements. The current scheme does not work. I choose not to legislate from the bench."

He continued the case until April -- for now -- at which time prosecutors believe there may be a new death penalty statute in place. Last month, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that Florida's death penalty was unconstitutional because it violated the Sixth Amendment. The court said it was a violation to have the judge and not a jury determine the "aggravating circumstances" or facts that lead to a sentence of death.

"I think the notion that this is an easy fix is misleading to this court because we can't seem to grasp what the U.S. Supreme Court is saying and has been saying for decades," said Chief Assistant Public Defender Michael Pirolo, who argued on Welch's behalf. "You can't kill a citizen when you don't have a constitutional statute on the table and we've been doing that for years. We're going to continue this case just to give the state a chance to kill one of it citizens and that is fundamentally wrong, unjust and immoral."

Welch was 22 when he used a souvenir samurai sword to stab and hack his two neighbors to death before going on a date. He murdered Suntree couple Rufus and Kyoko Johnson. According to reports, Welch tied up the couple -- both in their 60s -- tried to extort money, tortured and killed them.

Welch pleaded guilty in 2005 to the double murder and was sentenced to death. But the Florida Supreme Court reversed the sentence in 2008 citing an error by his trial judge during jury selection in the penalty phase. Welch has been waiting for a re-sentencing trial ever since.

Welch sat quiet and still in a red county jail jumpsuit, only nodding his head "yes" when asked if he wanted to go back to prison while awaiting his next hearing.

On Tuesday Prosecutor Tom Brown described the murders as "especially egregious."

"He killed a married couple in a heinous way. The death penalty is the appropriate sentence. He absolutely deserves it," Brown said. "Our position is there is still a death penalty. And as soon as the legislature gives us the procedure, we can apply the procedure to our cases. It's best to let the legislature make those changes."

Last week, Judge James Earp ruled to take the death penalty off the table in the state's case against William Woodward but the state promptly appealed his ruling with the 5th District Court of Appeals.

Contact Torres at 321-242-3684 or at jtorres@floridatoday.com. Don’t forget to follow him on Twitter @johnalbertorres or on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/FTjohntorres.
    Lansing man sentenced in samurai sword killing
    Matt Mencarini, Lansing State Journal 8:09 p.m. EST February 24, 2016

(Photo: Courtesy photo)
    LANSING — A Lansing man was sentenced Wednesday for killing another man with a samurai sword.

Ulises Vega, 44, was sentenced by Ingham County Circuit Court Judge Clinton Canady III to 25 to 50 years in prison, a month after a jury convicted him of second-degree murder and carrying a weapon with unlawful intent in the June 12 killing of 38-year-old Phineas Oliver.

During the trial, prosecutors told the jury that Oliver offered Vega a swig of whiskey, but Vega knocked the bottle out of Oliver's hand. A verbal confrontation between the two men started, prosecutors said, and Vega went into his apartment, returned with a samurai sword and plunged it 7 inches into Oliver’s chest, slicing through one of his lungs and his pulmonary artery.

Phineas Oliver (Photo: Courtesy photo)
    Interesting contrast between these two cases...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

This would be a good day for samurai wannabes, at least the two that get hired.

Need a new job? Japanese tourism organization is looking to hire two samurai
    Casey Baseel 9 hours ago

Performers sought to play the role of two of Nagoya’s greatest historical heroes.

If you’re still kicking yourself for not applying for that job last year as a ninja master, here’s another chance to get paid for taking on the persona of a Japanese warrior, this time a noble samurai. And not just any samurai, but two of the most well-known and respected figures from Japan’s feudal period.

The Nagoya area was the home of an inordinate number of prominent samurai, so for the past few years visitors to Nagoya Castle have been greeted by the Nagoya Omotenashi Bushotai (“Nagoya Hospitality Generals Brigade”), a team of costumed actors representing samurai such as Tokugawa Ieyasu and Toyotomi Hideyoshi, The group is a hit with history buffs (and also young women), but now, two of its members are “graduating,” as Japanese show business likes to call it when a performer moves on to other projects.

Specifically, the Nagoya Omotenashi Bushotai is about to lose the actor portraying Oda Nobunaga, whose military exploits during Japan’s Sengoku Period paved the way for the country’s unification which ended centuries of civil war. Also leaving the group is the actor playing Kato Kiyomasa, another famous samurai.

▼ The armor sets worn by Kato Kiyomasa (left) and Oda Nobunaga (right)

As such, the group will be holding auditions in Nagoya and Tokyo to find the actors’ successors. The successful candidates will primarily be making appearances in and around Nagoya, but the Nagoya Omotenashi Bushotai has also travelled as far as Italy to help promote tourism to the Japanese city.

▼ The Nagoya Omotenashi Bushotai at an event in Milan

The organization is looking to hire two actors between the ages of 18 and 30 who are willing to relocate to within one hour of Nagoya. Both positions have a base salary of 180,000 yen (US$1,610) per month plus work volume-based commissions, as well as social security benefits. As Nobunaga is the nominal leader of the Nagoya Omotenashi Bushotai, qualified candidates for his position should be particularly comfortable being in the spotlight.

Applications are being accepted between now and March 31, and can be found online here.

Source, images: Nagoya Omotenashi Bushotai
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

awww. in my 'hood.

Well, not really. It's been over 20 years since I lived in SF. And it wasn't me. While I do have a 'very big sword', if I stabbed someone, the injuries would be life-threatening.

SF police hunt for suspect in Tenderloin sword attack
    By Bill Hutchinson Updated 3:52 pm, Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Photo: Codi Mills, The Chronicle

San Francisco police are searching for an attacker who stabbed a 54-year-old man in the stomach with a sword early Wednesday morning in the 400 block of Eddy Street.
    An assailant wielding a sword stabbed a 56-year-old man in San Francisco’s Tenderloin neighborhood early Wednesday in what police are investigating as a random attack.
    The victim told officers he was standing in front of his apartment building on the 400 block of Eddy Street when the saber-swinging suspect approached him about 2:40 a.m. and stabbed him in the stomach without warning, said Officer Albie Esparza, a police spokesman.
    “The victim did not know the suspect and no words were exchanged prior to the attack,” Esparza said.
    The victim, who was taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, told officers that the weapon used in the attack was a “very big sword,” according to Esparza.
    The attacker was described as a Latino man, standing about 5-feet-6 and wearing a gray sweatshirt.
    Police are hoping security cameras in the area captured the incident, Esparza said.
    Anyone with information can call the Police Department’s anonymous tip line at (415) 575-4444 or text tips to TIP411, and begin the message with “SFPD.”
    Wait was he 54 or 56?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Where's the beef?

There's vid too, if you're that interested...

Man robs Las Vegas Carl's Jr. armed with sword
    Posted: Apr 13, 2016 9:18 PM PDT
    Updated: Apr 13, 2016 9:19 PM PDT
    Written by Craig HuberCONNECT

Surveillance still of a man who robbed a Carl's Jr. restaurant in Las Vegas with a sword on April 13, 2016. (Source: FOX5)

Another surveillance angle of a man who robbed a fast-food restaurant in Las Vegas with a sword on April 13, 2016. (Source: FOX5)

LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -
    A Las Vegas fast-food restaurant was robbed early Wednesday morning by a man armed with a sword.

Employees of the Carl’s Jr. restaurant located at Eastern Avenue and Flamingo Road told FOX5 this wasn’t the first time the man robbed the establishment.

The robbery was captured on surveillance video. A man walks into the restaurant carrying a sword about three feet in length.

The man demanded cash, and a cashier complied. The man then grabbed the cash and walked out.

He took about $93, employees said.

“It’s frightening. You feel like you could die. It could have gotten really bad. Some people don’t make it,” Carl’s Jr. shift manager Kasey McLaren said.

McLaren wasn’t working when the robbery occurred Wednesday morning, but she recognized the man because he robbed her a few months ago.

“It was scary for me the first time when he came in with a gun under his shirt,” she said.

During the first robbery, McLaren said, the man screamed at her.

“He was very angry. He was telling me he wanted to die. I told him he needed to leave,” she said.

He wouldn’t leave without money.

“He said to give him everything I had in my drawer. He had the gun to my back,” McLaren said.

McLaren said she gave him $60 and he left.

“I want people to know it’s not worth robbing a business. We don’t make much. We keep money in the safe. It’s really not worth it,” she said.

McLaren said the latest robbery has prompted a policy change. Going forward, the Carl’s Jr. at Flamingo and Eastern will only offer drive-through service in the overnight hours and the front doors will be locked.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A real-life one-armed swordsman...

...has a bad day.

One-Armed Man Charged In Samurai Sword Attack On Brother-In-Law
    June 16, 2016 11:33 AM By Ross Guidotti

MONESSEN (KDKA) – A Westmoreland County man is facing charges for allegedly striking his brother-in-law with a samurai sword in a dispute over marijuana.

According to police, the incident happened around 12:30 a.m. Thursday at the home of the suspect’s sister and brother-in-law along McMahon Avenue in Monessen.

The suspect, 51-year-old Todd Clark, attempted to hit his sister with a cane when she asked him to refrain from smoking marijuana in the house.

“We won’t let him have it here in our house or on our property,” said Bill Garey, Clark’s brother-in-law.

At that point, the Garey became involved.

“He went to hit her on the back of her head with his cane. I wasn’t going to stand there and let him hit my wife,” Garey said.

According to the affidavit, Clark retrieved a samurai sword from behind his bed and told the victim, “Bring it on [expletive].”

“He already had the sword waiting,” said Garey. “I actually thought he hit me with his cane.”

Clark allegedly struck Garey in the face with the sword. Bleeding profusely, he was taken to UPMC Presbyterian Hospital, where he required several stitches.

“They’re sharp. Trust me, they’re very sharp,” Garey said of the sword. “I don’t know how many stitches they did.”

Clark, who lost his left arm after a stroke, is facing a list of charges including, attempted homicide, aggravated assault and reckless endangerment.

He is currently being held in the Westmoreland County Prison on $50,000 straight cash bond.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips