Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread: Bad Day for Samurai Wannabes

German sword murder

Suspect arrested after brutal SWORD murder CAUGHT ON CAMERA in Germany
    Published time: 1 Aug, 2019 15:28
    Edited time: 2 Aug, 2019 12:35

FILE PHOTO: Armed policemen in the city centre of Stuttgart, southern Germany. © AFP / Simon Sachseder

German police have arrested a man suspected of carrying out a brutal murder in the streets of the quiet southern city of Stuttgart. The alleged killer is believed to have repeatedly stabbed his victim with a sword.

The shocking act of cold-blooded murder took place in broad daylight on Wednesday, reportedly after a dispute broke out. The 36-year-old male victim was repeatedly attacked with a weapon described as a “sword.” The victim later died of his wounds.

Police launched a full-on manhunt, apprehending the suspect, who’d fled on a bicycle.

Video footage, purportedly filmed by a witness, shows a man standing in the street as he repeatedly raises and thrusts a long metal sword-like object towards the ground. The victim’s body is obscured by a car.

WARNING: You may find the following video disturbing.

The heinous crime has shocked Germany, as Stuttgart is considered one of its safest cities.
    harsh stabbing. no technique. just brutal.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

sword fighting for trash?

Florida man wildly swings sword at jogger in fight over trash
    By Tamar Lapin August 19, 2019 | 11:36pm

He’s Florida’s garbage guard.

An Oakland Park man attacked a jogger with a sword in an attempt to protect a plastic dump cart that had been thrown out in the trash, police said Monday.

The big stink started July 15 when the runner stumbled upon a pile of garbage in front of a house, and decided to grab the black heavy-duty wagon, according to the Broward County Sheriff’s Office.

That’s when the rabble-rouser got upset — because he wanted the cart.

The two “exchanged words” but the jogger took the item anyway. When he got home, he realized the litter-lover had followed him, cops said.

Video shows the junk-diver unsheathing a sword and swinging it at the jogger.

But the runner isn’t thrown off — and ducks the blows while keeping a hold on the cart.

When he tells his attacker the fight is being filmed, the waste-watcher strides off, sword and sheath in hand.

Moments later, a woman who cops think knows the suspect, can be seen coming back and dragging the cart away, while flinging insults at the runner.

Police are asking for help finding the sword-swinger or the woman.
    WTH?

Wait, is that a jian?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

anime fan

Wonder what anime he was watching. I mean, if it was Sailor Moon, I get it.

Elderly anime fan allegedly threatens to kill man who complained about loud TV with fake katana
    Casey Baseel 4 hours ago

Police arrest 50-something anime fan on a Sunday afternoon.

If you’re in your 50s, you’re past the age where you parents can tell you to turn off the TV and stop watching anime, and if you’re unemployed, it’s not like you have a boss to cramp your viewing style either. So on September 1, a 57-year-old man in Hyogo Prefecture’s Toyooka City decided to spend the afternoon watching some Japanese animation in his home.

Whether because of his enthusiasm for the art form or the age-diminished capabilities of his ears, the anime fan decided to crank the volume on his speakers. However, even though we’ve flipped the calendars over to September, the weather remains summer sultry, hot and humid in Japan, and so the man also had his window open.

Unfortunately for the rest of the neighborhood, that didn’t just let in fresh air, but also let out the booming sounds of his anime. It’s one thing to share your passion for Japanese animation with other fans at a convention or club screening, but in general broadcasting the audio of whatever episode you’re currently watching to everyone in the general vicinity is a poor way to go about enjoying the hobby. Eventually, a 50-year-old man who lives diagonally across the street from the anime fan came over to complain about the noise, which is when, according to the younger 50-something Toyooka resident, the anime fan became even more inconsiderate, grabbing a katana with a 46-centimeter (18.1-inch) blade and shouting “I’ll kill you!”

The sudden transition from annoying otaku to violent maniac meant it wasn’t long before the police were summoned. The katana was discovered to be a replica, not a legitimate samurai sword, and although the older man said “I did not wave a replica sword around and threaten [the other man],” police still felt there was enough evidence to place him under arrest, so hopefully for his sake whatever anime he was watching was a recording or online stream, so that he can finish it when he’s finally released from custody.

Source: Kobe Shinbun Next via Yahoo! Japan News via Hachima Kiko
    Top image: Pakutaso
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Machetes are trending?

I reported another machete incident yesterday.

Machete-Wielding Suspect Shot, Killed By LAPD In Hollywood After Wild Crime Spree
    November 25, 2019 at 10:30 pmFiled Under:Hollywood, Hollywood carjacking machete suspect, LAPD officer wounded Hollywood, machete suspect killed by LAPD officers Hollywood

HOLLYWOOD (CBSLA) – A man wielding a machete was shot and killed by Los Angeles police after going on a crime spree in Hollywood Monday morning in which he robbed an auto shop, carjacked a vehicle and then crashed into several police cruisers.

The ordeal began at around 11:30 a.m., when the suspect entered an auto parts store at Highland Avenue, near Sunset Boulevard, and robbed it while armed with a machete.

The store clerk told CBS2 the suspect entered the store waving around a large knife before stealing some batteries and jumper cables.

“That knife has been declared to be a machete, large in length, about a foot to a foot-and-a-half in length with the blade,” LAPD Lt. Chris Ramirez said at a Monday afternoon news conference.

The suspect can be seen holding a large knife in his right hand. (credit: CBS)

Cell phone video showed the suspect then ran to a nearby Chick-fil-A, where he carjacked a vehicle that was sitting in the drive thru. With officers surrounding the car, he somehow sped out into the street and immediately slammed into two police vehicles at the intersection of Sunset Boulevard and Highland Avenue.

He then ran from the crash, still holding the machete, with officers giving chase. Officer initially used “less-lethal options” to try and subdue the man, Ramirez explained, but eventually were forced to open fire on him in the 1400 block of McCadden Place.

He was rushed to a hospital, where he died. His identity was not released.

“That suspect was struck, fell to the ground and was then taken into custody,” Ramirez said. “He was then transported to a local hospital for medical treatment where he has since been declared deceased.”

An LAPD officer suffered “minor scrapes and abrasions” during the incident. The driver who was carjacked was not hurt.

(CBS2).

Aerial footage from the scene showed a pool of blood in the middle of the roadway.

The public was advised to avoid the area around Sunset Boulevard and Highland Avenue, which was expected to remain closed into Monday evening.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kelsey Lynn White v Joshua James Ray Rothman

Real Swordfights or Bad Day for Samurai Wannabes? Tough call so I copied to both.

Two arrested after argument escalated into sword fight, police say
    by CBS AustinFriday, January 10th 2020

Kelsey Lynn White and Joshua James Ray Rothman are facing aggravated assault with a deadly weapon charges. (Photos courtesy: Hays County Sheriff's Office)

Blades swing in Buda as police say an argument escalated into a violent sword fight.

Officers arrested 25-year-old Kelsey Lynn White and 28-year-old Joshua James Ray Rothman on Thursday.

A spokesperson for the Buda Police Department said say someone called 9-1-1 about an argument at the Carrington Oaks Apartments near the Walmart off I-35.

When officers arrived the pair admitted to swinging swords at each other, intending to hurt the other.

Both wound up with minor injuries. They now face aggravated assault with a deadly weapon charges.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Man requests 'trial by combat' with Japanese swords to settle custody battle with ex

Man requests 'trial by combat' with Japanese swords to settle dispute with Iowa ex-wife

by Anna Spoerre

Des Moines Register

DES MOINES, Iowa – A Kansas man asked an Iowa court to grant his motion for trial by combat, so he can meet his ex-wife and her attorney "on the field of battle where (he) will rend their souls from their corporal bodies."

David Ostrom, 40, of Paola, Kansas, claims in court documents that his ex-wife, Bridgette Ostrom, 38, "destroyed (him) legally."

He asked the Iowa District Court in Shelby County to give him 12 weeks' "lead time" to source or forge katana and wakizashi swords, according to the Carroll Times Herald.

"To this day, trial by combat has never been explicitly banned or restricted as a right in these United States," Ostrom argued in court records, saying it was used "as recently as 1818 in British Court."

Monday, Ostrom told the Des Moines Register he got the idea after learning about a case in 2016 in which New York Supreme Court Justice Philip Minardo acknowledged that duels had not been abolished.

Ostrom said the motion stemmed from his frustrations with his ex-wife's attorney, Matthew Hudson.

"I think I've met Mr. Hudson's absurdity with my own absurdity," he said.

Ostrom said his ex-wife can choose her attorney as a "champion," or stand-in fighter.

Hudson filed a resistance to the trial-by-combat motion by first correcting Ostrom's spelling.

"Surely (Ostrom) meant 'corporeal' bodies which Merriam Webster defines as having, consisting of, or relating to, a physical material body," the attorney wrote. "Although (Ostrom) and potential combatant do have souls to be rended, they respectfully request that the court not order this done."

Hudson argued that because a duel could end in death, such ramifications probably outweigh those of property tax and custody issues.

"It should be noted that just because the U.S. and Iowa constitutions do not specifically prohibit battling another person with a deadly katana sword, it does prohibit a court sitting in equity from ordering same," Hudson wrote.

Hudson asked the court to suspend Ostrom's visitation rights and order him to undergo a court-ordered psychological evaluation.

Ostrom admitted to the misspelling but argued he has no history of mental issues.

Historically, he said in court records, trial by combat was not always won by way of death, but also when a party "cries craven," yielding to the other.

"Respondent and counsel have proven themselves to be cravens by refusing to answer the call to battle, thus they should lose this motion by default," Ostrom wrote, adding that if the other party decided otherwise, he wants to proceed with a "blunted practice style" of sword play.

The court has not yet ruled on either party's motions. Hudson was not immediately available for comment.

Ostrom, who said he doesn't have any experience with sword fighting, doesn't anticipate the judge will let his request go forward, but he wants an answer anyway.

When asked if he were serious about the dueling offer, Ostrom said, "If Mr. Hudson is willing to do it, I will meet him. I don't think he has the guts to do it."

Swords For Kids discontinued

Quote Originally Posted by Design Sifu View Post
    Man requests 'trial by combat' with Japanese swords to settle dispute with Iowa ex-wife

by Anna Spoerre

Des Moines Register
    Posted this yesterday on our Real Swordfights thread.

I'm not sure this article below is real. I couldn't find any validation on the Mattel site, or in a more general news search for 'Swords for Kids', 'Kreative Kills' or 'Student Samurai'. But still, it's a funny story.
    JANUARY 13, 2020 SETH MECKLENBURG
    Mattel’s ‘real swords for kids’ toyline discontinued amid poor sales, industry shocked

This past summer, Mattel rolled out advertisements for a new toyline dubbed Swords For Kids. First up was the a toy called Student Samurai. The ads featured kids from the ages of 3 to 10 swinging around multicolored samurai swords in a state of joy anyone over 35 can no longer achieve.

These were honest to goodness Katana’s, called a Nihonto or Shinken in Japanese. Mattel had stuck a partnership with real Katana craftsmen from Japan to create these new toys.

Mattel clearly knows how to cater to kids.

It was euphoric to see these youths chopping watermelons in half in midair and stabbing life size cut-outs of their favorite animated characters. You haven’t lived until you’ve seen Shrek sliced into pieces or an inflatable life size Olaf hacked up like a salami. It made many adults feel one thing: left out.

Heck, even I became jealous I was no longer a child. Can you imagine having a tie dye blade in your hand when Damian tries to take your lunch money on the way to school? I can. I see Damian’s smug face changing real quick after I chop both his arms off. Now what, Damian? You still gonna hit me with my own backpack? No? It’s a little hard without your hands, isn’t it?

If it’s a fifth as satisfying in real life as I imagine it being, then this would be the best toy ever dreamed up. So why has it taken so long for this idea to materialize? One competitor admitted they would never have considered anything like Student Samurai.

CEO of Hasbro Brian Goldner told us after Mattel’s ads were released, “I can’t deny I’m impressed. On paper it sounds like a bad idea, mostly because the expenses involved in creating so many legitimate samurai swords is enormous. The fact that Mattel managed to make them available in an array of colors is simply flawless business.”

Every retailer wanted a piece of Student Samurai. They were begging Mattel to produce as many units as they could manage, which started a frenzy behind closed doors. They had to manufacture and ship a significantly larger amount of product before the early November release date than anticipated.

Mattel CEO Ynon Kreiz relayed the pressure they were feeling back in August.

“It’s a tough situation to be in. On the one hand, nobody expected us to get this amount of attention and positive buzz from this specific toy. Frankly, I thought we were taking a risk by giving this the go ahead.”

“On the other hand, we find ourselves in a position where we need to keep up with demand we can’t anticipate. There’s pressure all around to make sure we don’t suddenly pull a Popeye’s Chicken sandwich situation. That product exploded, but they didn’t even remotely have enough prepared and the sandwich was unavailable for a couple months. We can’t let that happen with Student Samurai.”

I appreciate the Popeye’s dig, as I still haven’t had one of those freaking sandwiches. I’ve been afraid to go back to one after I got beat up by a young man named Douglas. He budged in line, and I had been waiting for two hours to order this thing. I called him out for his rudeness and then he beat the **** out of me. When I filed the lawsuit against him, I had no idea he was only in fifth grade. I just want to make that clear.

In October, longtime Mattel rival, Hasbro, announced their take on this new genre of toy. It’s a board game called Kreative Kills, where everyone is a murderer. For those who are curious, the instructions from the test editions that were given to certain members of the press (myself included) are below.

Despite Kreative Kills making jaws drop due to its clever and family friendly gameplay, it won’t be ready for release for over a year. Mattel knew that being first mattered, and despite Hasbro’s best efforts, Mattel was destined to come out as King of the mountain.

Or so it seemed.

Flash forward to today and we have Bruno Strasburg, inventor of the Student Samurai, announcing production has been discontinued. The swords will be completely pulled from shelves by the end of the year, according to his press release.

How did this happen?

Could it have been the $900 price point? Surely not, as the swords were every kids dream and more than worth the money. Strasburg offered up some theories of his own, though.

“I think where we went wrong was expecting parents to actually buy these for their kids. Nobody on our staff paused to think about how dangerous these could be,” said Strasbourg.

I think it’s more complicated than that. How many times do I have to explain what a brilliant idea this was? It was basically selling itself until the Safety Commission got involved and started asking stupid questions like, “what if a kid has a bad day and attacks their sibling or even a babysitter with their Student Samurai?”

Strasbourg’s job is definitely in jeopardy after this colossal failure, so I understand he has to play the P.R. game. But couldn’t he show a little backbone? It’s disheartening to watch him flop over like a dead fish.

Strasbourg was caught leaving Mattel’s offices by the press earlier this morning and was asked what he will take away from his failure with the Student Samurai.

“I guess we learned children aren’t meant to have real swords at their immediate disposal. Kids hurt themselves in dumb ways all the time, so it doesn’t make sense to make it easier for them,” Strasbourg said.

Perhaps there is a little truth to be found there, but it’s hard to know for sure. I still don’t know if I believe all these “accidents” were a problem with the toy itself, as they seem to be more related to user error.

Either way I suggest picking up your own Student Samurai before it’s too late. I’d hate to see so many of them melted down and repurposed. I got my hands on one opening night and love it to death!

I’ve used it to strike down photos of Damian and his family that I attached to trees in my backyard. I actually broke my first two as I had a lot of built of aggression as a result of of never talking about all the physical and emotional pain Damian caused me over my formative years. No matter. I simply bought more swords and printed out more pictures of Damian and his family. It’s been a cathartic experience.

I actually currently own thirty-seven Student Samurai swords. Don’t worry, only ten are for me. I’m going to give away the others.

They’re going to make great presents for my nieces and nephews.

Editor’s note: WSYS does not endorse the purchase of the “Student Samurai” due to the large volume of injuries children have sustained while using them. The author of this post does not speak for our company as a whole, and any opinions expressed are his alone. Thank you for visiting our site.
    Obviously if you want your kids to learn sword, put them in martial arts. And get your samurai swords here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

sword for home defense

Not sure if this should go in Successful Street Applications or Bad Day for Samurai Wannabes. I suppose it depends if he does time for this.

Man killed when homeowner thrust 3ft samurai sword through door 'during break in'
    By Jonathan Coles Kelly-Ann Mills
    16:53, 15 JAN 2020
    NEWS

David Harris is on trial at Bristol Crown Court (Image: Tom Wren SWNS)

A man who was trying to "break in" to a home was killed by the resident, who thrust a 3FT samurai sword though the front door, a court heard.

Jonathan Roper, 34, was trying to get into the home of David Harris in a row over a mobile phone, the jury was told.

Harris then stuck the one meter long sword out of the entrance to his property where it went into Roper.

The weapon went 25cm into Mr Roper's stomach causing fatal damage to several organs and arteries and he bled to death on the pavement outside, it was said.

The victim and several people had arrived at the property to retrieve some money and a mobile phone they said had been taken the day before during a row, a court heard.

Witnesses in the home said the group had been trying to "break in" when the defendant shoved the sword through the door, Bristol Crown Court was told.

Jonathan Roper bled to death in the street (Image: SWNS)

Harris, 26, of Wells, Somerset, denies charges of murder and wounding with intent.

Anna Vigars, QC, prosecuting, said: "At no stage did David Harris shout a warning nor brandish the weapon. He simply responded by attacking those people outside.

"People are, of course, entitled to defend themselves. The question will be - how proportionately?

"An incident which at worst could have been punch-up on a doorstep instead resulted in the death of a man."

The trial was was told the incident happened at the property in Wells, Somerset when a group arrived at the home.

They were angry over a disagreement that took place in the home a day previously, it was said.

The court heard a group of teens had gone to the house - occupied by dad Adrian Harris and sons Jamie and defendant David - the day before to buy drugs.

But a "disagreement or dispute" ensued involving one of the youths and they all left soon after.

The house was cordoned off by police (Image: Somerset Live /SWNS.COM)

Mrs Vigars said: "There's some suggestion that a mobile phone was taken [during the dispute] or he was using a dodgy £20 note.

"There's some suggestion there was physical violence used towards him by the same people in the house."

This news of the incident was then relayed back to a group involving Jonathan and Lesley Roper.

The pair spent the following afternoon drinking in a pub before deciding with three others to confront the occupants of the house.

A witness inside the house, who is not being named, described hearing "aggressive banging" when the group first arrived.

Mrs Vigars said: "From upstairs she heard some shouting. She heard the door open and some really angry and quite low voices.

"David and Jamie ran downstairs. She could see the three of them [Adrian] pushing the door to get it shut. Jamie shouted at her not to come downstairs.

"When he came back up he said a group of men had been trying to break in. They went out onto the landing.

"She then saw what she described as a samurai sword and it had what looked like a lot of blood on it.

"David said something like: 'I've got someone'. He knew what he had done."

The weapon - shown to the jury - was described as "about a metre long"

The witness said she could see blood from "tip of the blade to the handle" following the incident, which happened in a matter of seconds

The family home in Wells was the scene of the incident (Image: Somerset Live /SWNS.COM)
    After Jonathan Roper had been hurt, Lesley Roper was also caught by the blade, causing a sizeable injury to his arm.

Mrs Vigars said: "[The witness] then heard the tap running. When [the sword] was examined it had David Harris' and Jonathan Roper's DNA.

"What is clear is this: Jonathan Roper and Lesley Roper were hurt by a weapon thrust out of the front door.

"The weapon [the witness] saw was covered in blood and David Harris took it into the bathroom to wash it.

"It's a weapon which is instantly and obviously capable of causing huge damage."

After being stabbed Jonathan Roper staggered to nearby Wookey Hole Road, where he bled to death on the pavement.

The trial continues.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ancient Sword of the Meth King

This sword is exactly how I imagined the Ancient Sword of the Meth King

Bath Township police confiscate ‘Ancient Sword of the Meth King,’ other weapons
    Updated Mar 05, 2020; Posted Mar 04, 2020

Bath Township police found the collection of items which includes drugs, syringes, an assault rifle, pistol, a large knife, a hole punch and a peculiar sword that looks like it was swiped straight from the set of Lord of the Rings.Bath Township Police Department
    By Brandon Champion | bchampio@mlive.com

BATH TOWNSHIP, MI – The Bath Township Police Department confiscated some interesting items during an overnight traffic stop.

According to a post on the Lansing-area department’s wildly popular Facebook page, officers found the very odd combination of illegally possessed weapons and methamphetamine during a traffic stop.

The collection of items includes drugs, syringes, a semi-automatic rifle, pistol, a large knife, a hole punch (more on that in a moment) and a peculiar sword that looks like it was swiped straight from the set of Lord of the Rings.

Bath PD, known for their comedic antics, dubbed the extravagant weapon the “Ancient Sword of the Meth King" even though there was a relatively small amount of drugs found.

Hashtags like #ObviouslyAHiPoint and #LordOfTheRingsMeetsJohnWick also accompany the Facebook post, which has been shared nearly 1,000 times and generated nearly 1,500 comments since it was posted on Wednesday morning.

As for the hole punch, it appears it was left in the photo by the officers as a joke. A quick skim of the comments will give you more information. It is not considered a deadly weapon.

Or is it?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

So NY

Man, 20, injured in sword attack after urinating on Lower East Side building wall

Photo credit Getty Images

October 12, 2020 8:56 am

NEW YORK (1010 WINS) -- A man who urinated on an apartment building wall in lower Manhattan was slashed by a man with a sword over the weekend, officials said.

The attack occurred at about 2:45 a.m. Saturday, when the 20-year-old victim began to urinate on a wall on Elizabeth Street near Grand Street while hanging out with four other friends, according to police.

Authorities said a man in the building looked out of a window and yelled at him to stop.

Moments later, that man exited the building wielding a sword, with a friend who was wearing brass knuckles, police said.

The duo attacked the victim slashing a rib, causing swelling to his face, and chopped his left forearm so deep that the blade touched the bone and damaged tendons, officials said.

While attempting to grab the blade, the victim suffered cuts to the fingers on his right hand, police said.

EMS transported him to Bellevue Hospital.

One alleged attacker was cuffed by police who were not able to recover any weapons, officials said.

Police on Sunday arraigned Maximilian Ong on felony assault and weapon possession charges, and released on $20,000 cash bail.

Ong’s lawyer, Daniel Gotlin, described the victim and his friends as drunken bullies who yelled racial slurs at Ong and attacked him, adding that Ong didn’t cause the victim’s injuries.
    Two sides to this story. The ****er has the headline however...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

martial arts sword?

A sai is not a sword. It's blunt. It would really hurt to get one of those to penetrate.

Spencer Man Wanted For Stabbing Victim With Martial Arts Sword
    October 29, 2020 at 11:56 am Filed Under:Spencer News

SPENCER (CBS) – Police are searching for a Spencer man accused of stabbing another man in the back with a martial arts sword.

Brendon Jay Unrich is wanted on a charge of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.

Nicholas Rudolph. (Image Credit: Spencer Police)

Spencer Police said Unrich stabbed a 26-year-old Lowell man with a Sai sword.

A sai sword similar to one used in a Spencer stabbing. (Image Credit: Spencer Police)

The victim was taken to UMass Memorial Medical Center with a puncture wound in his back.

Anyone who sees Rudolph is asked to contact police.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt 4 2021

It's been a while since I've updated this thread. I haven't been paying too much attention to this topic lately.

Samurai sword-swinging man wrestles with cop on Upper East Side
    By Jesse O’Neill March 17, 2021 | 9:43pm | Updated
    Enlarge Image
    NYPD arrested a man on Madison Avenue with a katana sword.

Suspect Wilson Pichardo carried a sword and punched a cop, according to the NYPD.NYPD

A samurai sword-wielding man was arrested last weekend after he punched an NYPD officer on the Upper East Side, authorities said Wednesday.

The melee kicked off when police responded to a 911 call about a man recklessly swinging a katana on Madison Avenue near East 73rd Street shortly before 6 p.m. on Saturday, officials said.

Cops confronted the suspect, later identified as Lower East Side resident Wilson Pichardo, 33, near 77th Street, where they said he refused orders to stop swinging the weapon.

Pichardo then lunged at one of the cops, allegedly, punching him in the face and stomach several times, according to police.

Pichardo was charged with one count of assault of an officer, two counts of attempted assault on an officer, resisting arrest, reckless endangerment, obstructing governmental administration and criminal possession of a weapon, police said.

The officer was hospitalized and recovered from his injuries, according to authorities.

Officers at the 19th precinct tweeted a picture of the confiscated Japanese weapon, with a caption reading: “Wrong century. Wrong period. Just wrong!”
    That's a funny tweet. I hope the officer is okay.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Rep. Bruce Westerman

Lawmaker Barricaded Himself in Bathroom with a Civil War Sword During U.S. Capitol Riot
    Rep. Bruce Westerman previously said he searched for anything he could to protect himself during the attack

By Sean Neumann April 28, 2021 12:07 PM

Rep. Bruce Westerman | CREDIT: BILL CLARK/CQ ROLL CALL
    While high-ranking members of Congress were quickly ushered away by security during the Jan. 6 U.S. Capitol riot, other lawmakers sheltered in place — in one case, protecting themselves with anything they could get their hands on.

For Rep. Bruce Westerman, according to a New York Times report published this week, that meant grabbing a decorative Civil War sword from the wall and barricading himself in a congressional bathroom.

Westerman, a 53-year-old Republican from Arkansas, was waiting out the attack inside House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy's office when security swooped in to lead McCarthy to a safer location.

Left behind, Westerman "commandeered a Civil War sword from an office display, barricaded himself in Mr. McCarthy's private bathroom and waited out the siege while crouched on the toilet," the Times reported.

A spokesperson for Westerman told PEOPLE he wouldn't comment further on his experience during the riot, which he has described as "craziness" and "a really disgraceful moment for our country."

Rep. Bruce Westerman | CREDIT: ANDREW HARRER/BLOOMBERG VIA GETTY
    Westerman told The Hot Springs Sentinel-Record in January that he was speaking with McCarthy, 56, in the latter's office when Capitol security whisked away the Republican House leader.

Soon, entranced with images of the riots playing on a TV inside the office, Westerman snapped back into reality and realized no one — not even McCarthy's staff — were left inside the office with him, the Arkansas paper reported.

"How did this happen, where I'm by myself in the minority leader's office?' Westerman remembered thinking.

"I thought, 'Well I kinda missed the boat here on the evacuation thing, but I think I'll be OK just sitting here in the leader's office,' " Westerman told the Sentinel-Record.

So, the Times reported this week, he grabbed a sword from the wall and locked himself inside the half-bathroom in McCarthy's office and turned off the lights.

At one point, a rioter had tried to open the bathroom door while he was inside, he told local news station KNWA.

Rep. Bruce Westerman | CREDIT: AL DRAGO/CQ ROLL CALL

Westerman was in and out of the bathroom for about two-and-a-half hours, he told the Sentinel-Record. Outside the door, he heard Capitol Police in riot gear engaging with the mob.

"I distinctly remember hearing one woman say, 'Oh, this is a nice office,' " Westerman previously told the Sentinel-Record.

"You could hear flash-bangs, you could hear tear-gas canisters, people had sticks that they were beating on doors and breaking windows and that sort of thing," he added.

Westerman, a Republican, did not dispute the 2020 election results when Congress voted to certify President Joe Biden's election.

After the riots, in which five people died, Westerman told the Sentinel-Record the life-threatening scenario on Capitol Hill was "very surreal" and "very disheartening."

"It's an attack on the very core of our country and our democracy for this to happen," Westerman said then. "I cannot denounce it enough, what these people did."
    Not to make light of this, but only if he met up with that Shaman dude. If only...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Here's a twist

The Charlotte Observer
    16-year-old attacks dad with sword after he’s told to clean his room, Ohio cops say
    Mitchell Willetts, The Charlotte Observer 22 hrs ago

Ohio police arrested a teenage boy Saturday night at his home in Vermilion after he allegedly attacked his father with a sword.

According to the Erie County Sheriff’s Office, the dad went into the teen’s room and told him to clean it, which he had been trying to get him to do “for a while.” This led to an argument and the 16-year-old pulled out a katana, held it overhead, pointed it at his father.

A struggle ensued. At one point, the dad grabbed the sword by the blade in an attempt to wrench it away from his son, causing deep lacerations to his hands, a sheriff’s office report said. His right knee was also cut badly in the scuffle.

The boy’s mother could hear the fight from another room and rushed in to intervene, according to deputies. She took the sword away — getting her left hand sliced in the process — and put it in a shed outside, so her son couldn’t get to it, she told police.

Deputies arrived at the address around 9 p.m. and took the boy, whose arms were stained with blood, into custody.

A trail of blood droplets led from the boy’s room to the front door, deputies noted.

He was attempting to drive away with a neighbor when the first deputy pulled up to the home, the report said. The deputy ordered the neighbor to get out of the truck and he complied. The teen climbed out of the passenger seat and was put in handcuffs.

The teen told investigators that there have been ongoing domestic problems at his home. His father hadn’t simply come into his room and asked that he clean it, but instead barged in yelling and “lunged” at him. He pulled out his sword in self-defense, the boy said.

He was arrested on charges of felonious assault and domestic violence, according to a sheriff’s office report.
    Good thing this teen didn't own a gun...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Swords, spears and battleaxes seized after siege in Randwick | 7NEWS

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips