Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad Day for Samurai Wannabes

One more

Henley injured in Narnia sword fight
    Posted: Tuesday 30 Nov 2010

Actress GEORGIE HENLEY had a tough time on the set of THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER - she was hospitalised after she was hit in the face with a sword.

The teenager was filming a fight scene for the upcoming fantasy movie when one of her assailants accidentally struck her with a weapon.

Henley was left with a black eye and a swollen cheek - and producers had to use make-up to hide the bruise, and camera tricks to "reshape" her face.

She tells You magazine, "The worst thing happened in a sword scene in which I had to fight off four grown men. We had almost got it right on the first take but the camera missed an important bit where I kick one of the men in, er, a not-so-very-nice-place, and they wanted me to do it again.

"So we did it, but then I forgot that I was supposed to duck and one of the men's sword handles hit me. I had to go to accident and emergency - I had a black eye and massive swelling on one side of my face. We had to continue shooting the next day, so they applied tons of make-up and digitally reshaped my face!"
    They're calling Georgia Henley the next Emma Watson. We'll see about that.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

i just couldnt place that guys face i even went through my rollerdecks of head shots(about five thousand now) because i thought if he is an actor in nyc i might have auditioned him nothing. and ofcourse the imdb search showed nothing. what puzzles me is 1.how could the wrap not fact check before publishing. 2. where did they get the information and 3. why publish the fact that he was an extra in ugly betty(step up is unconfirmed and quite frankly i dont even believe it, dont even think the film was shot in ny.) its not the first time they've done it. they once published a report of a "power ranger actor" committing a murder or suicide i forget and it turned out that that person was just an extra in one episode. weird thing is, alot of the tv media doesnt fact check and just pick up the story. blah! how annoying.lol

With friends like that...

Man stabs life-long friend with Samurai sword for making joke about his 'big nose'
    By Daily Mail Reporter
    Last updated at 12:24 PM on 2nd December 2010

Jailed: Matthew Peters, 20, who slashed at lifelong friend Liam Johnston

A man was stabbed with a Samurai sword by his life-long friend after he joked about the size of his nose.

Liam Johnston was left scarred for life after Matthew Peters rushed back to his house, collected a knife and stabbed him.

Peters, 20, was jailed for more than five years for 'flipping' following the innocuous comment.

Liam, 20, said: 'I was frightened when I saw the sword but I wasn't terrified. He's a mate, so I didn't think he would actually do anything to me.

'I couldn't believe it when he stabbed me. I haven't had anything to do with him since then. There's no friendship there anymore.'

Liam, 20, and Peters had been friends for years before the sudden stabbing which happened in Newcastle Street, North Shields, Tyne and Wear, on August 12.

Matthew Peters was so angry after the comment about his nose that he ran home up three flights of stairs before breaking into the loft where his father kept a collection of ornamental swords.

He ran back to Liam and plunged the blade into his thigh as he attempted to run away, Newcastle Crown Court was told.

'We were just walking along the street when we had a small argument,' Liam said.

'It was stupid really but he just flipped. He ran back to his house, picked up the sword and then he just came round and stabbed me in the street.

'I fell down and he ran off back home. My mates helped me up and I was taken straight to hospital.'

The sword pierced a nerve and after surgery father-of-one Liam was left with a 35cm scar.

'He hit one of my nerves,' he continued. 'I was in hospital for a week and I had to have an operation.'

'I still can't walk properly, I have to ride my bike around. The doctors say they can't tell if I'll be able to walk properly again. I just have to wait and see.'

Scar: The slash wound that Liam Johnson, 20, suffered

Peters, of Ravensworth Street, Wallsend, Tyne and Wear, pleaded guilty to wounding with intent to cause GBH at Newcastle Crown Court and was sentenced to five years and four months in jail.

Detective Constable Rouven Snowdon, said he hoped the sentence would send out a message about the consequences of using knives or blades.

'This case shows how devastating the consequences can be when a young man arms himself with a weapon and attacks a once close friend with it,' he said.

'Liam and Peters had been friends since childhood but they had an argument in the street.

'Peters is indeed fortunate that the wound was not more serious, but his victim is still suffering from the effects of the injury.

'The sword hit Liam's femoral nerve. He's got some nerve damage to the bottom of his foot. He ended up going into surgery.

'The initial scar was just the size of the tip of the sword but after surgery he has been left with a 35cm scar and he's still not able to walk properly.'

'The sentence handed down by the court today should send a clear message to others that picking up a weapon and resorting to violence will lead to prison.'
    It's always samurai swords. Obviously I need to work harder at slinging Chinese swords.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    It's always samurai swords. Obviously I need to work harder at slinging Chinese swords.
    ...well, the homeless guys by the Y stay back when they see me carrying my jian after class.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

This is copied from the San Diego Union-Tribune, Tuesday, Dec. 28, 2010:

Man accused of cutting father with sword; victim is critical.

Spring Valley

A man accused of critically injuring his father with a samurai sword was booked into county jail on a charge of elder abuse and assault with a deadly weapon, the Sheriff's Department said Monday.

Bail was set at $100,000 for John Cahan, 39.

His 69-year-old father was in his bed asleep in his home on Terraspiro Avenue in Spring Valley about 3 a.m. Sunday when his son entered holding the large sword, said sheriff's Sgt. Mark Varnau.

Cahan was reportedly angry and demanded his father hold out his hand so he could cut it off, Varnau said. Cahan swung the sword several times over his father, and then struck his lower leg, cutting it, Varnau said.

Cahan left the room with the sword but later returned to try to stop the leg from bleeding. After 90 minutes, Cahan called paramedics. He told them his father accidentally injured himself while sleepwalking.

The victim, who told sheriff's deputies that his son had attacked him, was taken to a hospital in critical condition. Cahan was arrested.
    Susan Schroeder, U-T

Another "genius" and his "samurai" sword.

Over Spaghetti Os?

Seriously? See this is why I don't give my kid Spaghetti Os. Too much sugar in that. Eat real spaghetti.
    SpaghettiO's sparked alleged samurai sword attack
    By Kristina Davis, UNION-TRIBUNE
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 at 3:06 p.m.

EL CAJON — An argument over a can of SpaghettiO’s is what led a man to attack his 69-year-old sleeping father with a samurai sword over Christmas weekend, according to court testimony Tuesday.

John Cahan, 39, has been charged with assault with a deadly weapon, elder abuse and residential burglary in the Dec. 26 attack on his father, Allen Cahan, in the Spring Valley home they shared.

El Cajon Superior Court Judge Patricia Cookson ruled that enough evidence was presented during a preliminary hearing Tuesday for the case to go to trial.

The victim, who spoke from a wheelchair, testified that he was asleep in the home on Terraspiro Avenue when he was awakened.

“He came in accusing me of cooking SpaghettiO’s,” Allen Cahan said. He said he denied making the food but his son, who was standing over the bed with a large sword at his side, continued to insist he had.

“I couldn’t make him believe me... All of the sudden he swung the sword at me.”

The sword sliced open his left leg, requiring numerous stitches and surgery.

Sheriff’s investigators said at the time that John Cahan also demanded his father hold out his hand so he could cut it off.

The victim testified that his son left the room and returned awhile later with towel strips to try to stop the bleeding. He also called 911.

The victim testified that he lied when he initially told a sheriff’s deputy that he had injured himself with the sword. He said he was just going along with his son’s version of events.

He also told the court that his son collects swords and has about five of them leaning against a wall in his bedroom.

John Cahan remains jailed on $150,000 bail. A trial has been set for March 28.

He faces up to 12 years in prison if convicted of all charges.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Samurai sword vs. flash bang grenades & tasers

Flash bang grenades & tasers win
    SWAT team encounter man with sword
    By Cameron Macdonald
    Citizen News Editor
    Published: Thursday, February 10, 2011 6:29 PM PST

The Elk Grove police’s SWAT team entered a house where they reportedly encountered a 39-year-old man who held a samurai sword between his legs on Feb. 10. Officers used a Taser to stun him before they detained him.

Elk Grove police spokesperson Christopher Trim said that police placed him into psychiatric evaluation and did not arrest him.

The incident occurred early this afternoon on the 8400 block of Guis Court in north Elk Grove.

Authorities declined to release the man’s name since it’s a medical case and a crime has not been committed, Trim said.

A vehicle first caught on fire on Guis Court and Cosumnes firefighters came to the scene. Trim said that fire staff later knocked on neighbors’ doors to find the vehicle’s owner and they saw a man looking out of his window at the time.

When two Elk Grove officers came to that man’s door, he reportedly approached them in a “highly agitated” state, Trim said. He also reportedly had a small torch.

Trim said that authorities assumed that this event may have been connected to the vehicle fire and they tried to convince him to exit his house. The man reportedly slammed his door instead and acted wildly by throwing objects inside his home and banging on walls.

Trim said that police called in their SWAT team and their Hostage Negotiation Team for the man’s safety. He mentioned that several nearby homes were evacuated.

The man still refused to leave his home and police reportedly heard the sounds of objects being placed against the front door as if he was barricading himself.

Trim said that around 4 p.m., the SWAT team entered the home where they found the man sitting on a couch and holding a three-foot long samurai sword. Police ordered him to put down his weapon.

Trim said that officers used two flash bang grenades to stun the man before they used a Taser. The man was medically treated to have the Tasers removed from him before he was taken to psychiatric evaluation.

Trim said that Cosumnes fire staff will conduct a follow-up investigation to determine if the vehicle fire was an arson.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

There's video if you follow the link

Man Carrying Sword Shot in Detroit
    Updated: Thursday, 24 Feb 2011, 8:19 PM EST
    Published : Thursday, 24 Feb 2011, 8:18 PM EST
    By AMY LANGE
    WJBK | myFOXDetroit.com

DETROIT (WJBK) - It's not "Pirates of the Caribbean", just a guy walking down the street with a huge sword. It's not something you see every day, but it happened on this day.

"This guy's got a scimitar, one of those big like pirate swords, had to be three, four feet long," said Paul Mergentime.

He was plowing snow outside Scaffolding Incorporated on McNichols near John R when he spotted a guy with a sword.

"Looked just like a regular guy except he had that big thing on his shoulder, which made me a little suspicious. I got the hell out of the way when I saw that," Mergentime said.

He ducked behind a wall. A Detroit police officer was passing by and stopped, urging the swordsman to drop his weapon.

"I heard the police telling him to put it down. It doesn't have to end this way," said Mergentime. "It started getting heated and they're yelling back and forth … and the cops were trying -- 'Put it down. Put it down.' He wouldn't do it. They called for backup. There had to (have) been 35, 40 cops out here at one time."

Police swarmed the area shutting down McNichols and then suddenly there was a gunshot.

"Next thing I know … state police showed up. Looked like they were getting ready to taze him, and then I heard a gunshot and then it was all over," Mergentime said.

The swordsman was hit and rushed to the hospital by ambulance. Police searched the area and turned up even more weapons -- another knife, brass knuckles and a hatchet.

"He was loaded. He was strapped up big time," said Mergentime.

It's not known where he was headed with all the hardware. Police say it appears he may have some mental issues.

This could've been much worse. Police tell us the guy is expected to recover.
    '35, 40 cops' seems excessive for one swordsman.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt for Sucker Punch!

In honor of Sucker Punch, I'm updating this thread.

Zen by name but not by nature: Man named Zen arrested after chasing his in-laws around with a samurai sword
    By Daily Mail Reporter
    Last updated at 10:01 AM on 25th March 2011

With a name like Zen, you'd hope he'd be cool, calm and collected.

But Zen Timothy Singleton showed himself to be anything but when he allegedly went on the rampage with a samurai sword in Hemet, California.

The 20-year-old allegedly chased his in-laws along the street with a sword after a row at home on Tuesday.

Police say he smashed windows at the house they share and sent glass flying, leaving his 24-year-old brother-in-law collapsed on the ground with a six-inch gash in his forehead.

He allegedly slashed his father-in-law, 50, through the thigh as he ran after him round the block in the downtrodden residential area.

A neighbour who witnessed the terrifying chase called police, who found Singleton sitting on the curb outside the house, the Press-Enterprise reports.

They recovered the Katana samurai sword - which are usually about 20 inches long - from the backyard.

Singleton was arrested and charged with attempted murder. His bail was set at $1million.

Lieutenant Mark Richards of Hemet Police described the chase as a 'domestic violence incident' which stemmed from an earlier family dispute.

Both victims - who police are not yet naming - were taken to hospital for treatment of what police called 'non-life-threatening injuries'.

Another police spokesman, Dave Quinn, said the whole family lived in the house, in Marion Avenue, Hemet.

He refused to say what caused the row, but said he expected Singleton to be arraigned later today.

Singleton faces charges of attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon, burglary and vandalism.

He is being held at the Southwest Detention Center.
    Stepfather Attacks With A Samurai Sword
    Posted: Mar 25, 2011 11:32 AM by Ben Lloyd - blloyd@kristv.com
    Updated: Mar 25, 2011 12:28 PM

CORPUS CHRISTI - A young man told police he was assaulted by his girlfriend's stepfather who was wielding a Samurai sword on Thursday night. The 25-year-old victim was covered in blood when police arrived, but he had only suffered a cut to his lip. The girlfriend told police that her stepfather got into a middle of an argument and asked the younger man to leave the home on the 3800 block of Willow. According to police, the victim came back to the home and kicked in the door when the stepfather refused to let him back in the house. All three of the people involved live in the same home. 40-year-old Robert Salyer was arrested and charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. The victim was not charged and refused treatment from paramedics.
    Family Feud In Elgin Leads To Sword Attack
    March 24, 2011 12:30 PM

ELGIN, Ill. (STMW) — A northwest suburban woman unhappy about being kicked out of her aunt’s home vented her frustration by attacking the older woman’s television with a sword.

Elgin police were called to a domestic dispute at a home in the 300 block of Douglas Avenue about 3:20 p.m. Tuesday, where they found a 38-year-old woman and her 21-year-old niece arguing, the Courier-News is reporting.

According to the police report, the women had been living together but the aunt wanted the niece to move out. But the niece said she was afraid that if she left that afternoon, her aunt would throw her belongings onto the lawn. The officer got the niece to promise to leave and the aunt to promise not to throw out her things.

Just 10 minutes later, the aunt called for police again. She said that soon after the officer left, her niece picked up a black sword and repeatedly struck the TV set with it. She also knocked a 2-inch hole in a wall.

The older woman said she did not want to press charges, and the officer advised her to ask the landlord to start legal eviction proceedings.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Nice finds! It amazes me how many people just happen to have a sword handy...
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

rubber bullets, taser failed...good old fashioned tackle took him down

swords, rope and a body bag

Joss Stone 'Absolutely Fine' After Murder, Kidnap Attempt
    11:55 AM 6/15/2011 by Lindsay Powers, Mimi Turner

The singer says she's "getting on with with life as normal while the police continue with their inquiries.”

Joss Stone says she's doing OK after police uncovered a bizarre murder and kidnap plot against her Tuesday.

"I'd like to thank everyone for their concern but I'm absolutely fine and getting on with life as normal while the police continue with their inquiries," the singer said in a statement.

Two men were arrested near her Devon, England house with swords, rope and a body bag after neighbors called police to report suspicious activity. Police said they also had detailed maps and aerial photographs of the Stone's rural home.

She was not at home at the time.

"Police attended an address in [the village of] Cullompton yesterday morning [Tuesday] after alert residents notified officers about a suspicious-looking vehicle," officers said in a statement.

"Officers attended the area at around 10 am and subsequently arrested the occupants of a red Fiat Punto. Major crime detectives are continuing to investigate."

Reps for the star said she was "aware of the arrests" and that police were "keeping her updated with developments."
    If Joss wants to learn swordsmanship, have her give me a call.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

woah, Santa Clara. This is our neck of the woods...

...at least it wasn't a katana.
    Sword-wielding bicyclist threatens to cut Santa Clara pedestrian in half
    By Mike Rosenberg
    mrosenberg@mercurynews.com
    Posted: 08/30/2011 07:28:30 AM PDT
    Updated: 08/30/2011 07:28:40 AM PDT

Any way you slice it, this was an unusual reaction: A Santa Clara man riding his bike didn't recognize a pedestrian walking in his neighborhood, so he whipped out a sword and threatened to cut him in half, authorities said Monday.

Santa Clara police said they booked 52-year-old Richard Gonzales into county jail on felony charges of assault with a deadly weapon and criminal threats after they received a rather odd 911 call just after 2 a.m. on Saturday.

When officers arrived in the residential area of the 2000 block of Jackson Court, near City Hall, a man told investigators a bicyclist had threatened him with a sabre sword, Lt. Matt Hogan said. The sabre is known for its long, curved blade and is used in fencing and during military ceremonies.

As officers were interviewing the victim -- who was not hurt -- he told them Gonzales had threatened to cut him in half.

The officers quickly found Gonzales, recovered the sword and arrested him, Hogan said.

"The victim was simply walking down the street," Hogan said. "The suspect made some threatening comment and armed himself with this rather large sword."

The victim and Gonzales did not know each other.

"It appears to be an unprovoked, random act," Hogan said. "We're very pleased the officers were there hurriedly and there were no injuries."

Oddly enough, it's the second sword-wielding suspect that Santa Clara officers have arrested this year.

In the first case, police arrested a different man for driving onto a Lexus dealership and threatening an employee with a sword he pulled out of his car.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs

Sword-wielding man arrested on interstate: I'm 'Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs'
    September 05, 2011|Staff report

Authorities in northwest Indiana on Sunday safely disarmed a samurai sword-wielding man after they found him walking along Interstate 65 near Merrillville.

The still-unidentified man was discovered wandering along the interstate just south of U.S. Highway 30 about 2:30 p.m. "marching like a drum major" while holding the 35-inch sword, state police said in a news release.

The shirtless man, who appeared to be in his mid to late 40s, moved the sword rhythmically like a baton until Master Trooper Rick Hudson approached, officials said. The man swung defensively at Hudson but dropped the sword when Hudson ordered him to, authorities said.

A passing car -- a 2010 Chevrolet SUV -- swerved off the road onto the shoulder near the area to avoid a police car stopped at ths scene, police said, and the suspect then tried to get into that vehicle before being ordered to the ground at gunpoint. Merrillville police then took him into custody.

Once in custody, the man gave authorities different names and addresses, but told Lake County Jail officials that he was "Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs."

Authorities were first called to the scene after a white older model Toyota was abandoned in the middle southbound lane of I-65 just south of 61st Avenue.

Though his identity hadn't been verified, authorities charged the man with attempted carjacking, resisting law enforcement and possession of marijuana.
    This is the wrong way to cope with the munchies.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips