Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad Day for Samurai Wannabes

Here's one from Japan

Samurai road rage as man attacks motorist with replica samurai sword on Japanese expressway
    Casey Baseel 2 hours ago

Tailgating incident isn’t exactly the sort of duel of honor told about in tales of yore.

Japan’s expressways are often clogged with traffic, but if you’re driving in the middle of the night, you usually won’t run into too much congestion. Even still, an incident that occurred in Aichi Prefecture before dawn on Wednesday shows that having to share the road with even one other vehicle is too much for some drivers to calmly deal with.

According to the Aichi Prefectural Police, at around 2 a.m. in a westbound section of the Tomei Expressway, which connects Tokyo and Nagoya, a 43-year-old truck driver from a delivery company based in Ibaraki Prefecture moved into the passing lane to overtake a passenger car in front of him. However, after the pass was completed, the driver of the car began aggressively tailgating the truck.

The truck driver then pulled over onto the shoulder of the expressway in Nisshin City. The driver of the car did likewise, and as the motorists exited their vehicles, the car’s driver began shouting “Why don’t you get out of the **** way! I’m in a hurry!”

Despite his self-professed lack of time, the driver of the car still had enough time in his schedule to then brandish an approximately 60-centimeter (two-foot) replica katana, which he then attacked the truck driver with. Specifically, the police report says the car driver “pounded on” the truck driver with the weapon, suggesting that its blade was not sharpened. Even without a cutting edge, though, the assailant managed to break the truck driver’s right knee after landing multiple blows. The driver of the car then got back in his vehicle and drove off, either because he realized the logical fallacy of spending time beating on someone when you’ve presumably got preexisting pressing appointments, complaining about someone being in your way after they’ve already pulled over to let you pass, or because he feared the imminent arrival of the authorities.

The truck driver then contacted the police, who are now searching for the driver of the car, said to be in his 20s or 30s, and are treating the attack as an attempted homicide.

In light of the events, SoraNews24 would like to remind everyone that while out on the road, it’s always smarter to remain in your vehicle rather then stepping out of it to engage in late-night altercations, because should you happen to encounter someone with road rage who’s armed like a samurai, Japan’s real-life ninja are probably too busy to come to your aid.

Source: Livedoor News via Hachima Kiko, YouTube/ANNnewsCH
    Top image: Gahag
    There are many times when I have carried swords in my car transporting them to and from practice, or sales tables or whatever. But given my profession, I have an excuse, right?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Don't cheat on her

Woman accused of stabbing boyfriend with samurai sword appears in court

Emily Javier of Camas makes a first appearance Monday, March 5, 2018, in Clark County Superior Court on allegations that she stabbed her boyfriend with a samurai sword early Saturday morning at their home in Camas. (Ariane Kunze/The Columbian)
    By Jessica Prokop, Columbian Courts Reporter
    Published: March 5, 2018, 10:51 AM

A Camas woman told police she tried to kill her boyfriend with a samurai sword early Saturday morning because she believed he was cheating on her.

Court records say Emily Javier, 30, allegedly told investigators she specifically purchased the sword and made deliberate plans to kill her boyfriend of two years, 29-year-old Alex Lovell.

She hid his cellphone so he couldn’t call for help, attacked him in his sleep, and then called 911 only after she believed he was dead, according to an affidavit of probable cause filed in the case.

“I was trying to kill him for cheating. That was my purpose,” she allegedly told Camas police.

Lovell was found inside their shared house with several life-threatening injuries.

He was last known to be hospitalized in critical condition as of late Saturday morning, police said. An update on his condition was unavailable Monday.

Javier appeared Monday morning in Clark County Superior Court on suspicion of attempted first-degree domestic violence murder. She wore a suicide-prevention smock — given to inmates who may try to harm themselves with standard jail clothing — and tried to hide her face from the media’s cameras behind her dyed blue-green hair.

Judge Bernard Veljacic set her bail at $350,000. Javier did not qualify for a court-appointed attorney, based on her employment history. But Veljacic provisionally appointed Vancouver attorney Chris Ramsay to help Javier address her bail.

She will be arraigned March 13.

Early-morning incident

Camas police were dispatched at 1:54 a.m. Saturday for a report of a disturbance with a weapon at 2013 N.E. Garfield St.

Javier called 911 to report that she had just stabbed her boyfriend with a sword and thought he was dead, court records state.

As police arrived, Javier walked out of the house with her hands up. She was covered in blood and crying. Javier said, “He’s in there. I just stabbed him. You guys need to help him!” police wrote in the affidavit.

She was taken into custody without incident.

Police said they found Lovell lying in the couple’s bedroom suffering multiple lacerations.

He was treated by the Camas-Washougal Fire Department and transported to a hospital.

Javier told police that she and Lovell had been dating and living together for about two years. She said he “just sits at home all day playing video games and does not do anything to help,” the affidavit states.

About a week ago, she said, she found evidence that Lovell was cheating on her, including a dating app on his cellphone and red hair in the shower drain; the hair was not hers, according to court records.

Javier did not confront Lovell about her suspicions, she said, because when she had in the past, he had denied it. Instead, she said, she went to the mall and purchased a samurai sword and had been thinking about stabbing him with it for the past week, court documents show.

“I thought I was gonna stab him while he was sleeping,” she allegedly told police.

The final straw, she said, was when Lovell came home Friday night and ignored her. She said that “angered her, and she decided tonight was the night she was going to do it,” police wrote in the affidavit.

She hid the sword and two knives she had taped together on her side of the bed. The couple went to bed about 8 or 9 p.m., and she waited for Lovell to fall asleep. She then grabbed the sword and began stabbing Lovell and swinging it at him, according to court records.

Police said detectives served a search warrant at the home and seized a samurai sword and additional knives.

Jessica Prokop
    Columbian Courts Reporter
    360-735-4551
    @jprokop16
    I didn't realize suicide-prevention smocks were a thing. I'm surprised that has escaped my attention for so long.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Emily Javier continued

This wannabe samurai story just got better....with Wing Chun! I think this counts as a Successful Street Application.

She found a dating app on her boyfriend’s phone. Then she bought a samurai sword.
    By Kyle Swenson March 15 at 3:44 AM

With her boyfriend finally asleep, Emily Javier reached for the samurai sword she had secretly taped earlier to the side of the bed.

According to an affidavit filed by police, the room was dark, and she sparked her phone to see better. To aim better.

Below snoozed Alex Lovell. He played too many videos games, Javier would later explain to the police, and now he was cheating on her, she claimed. She knew the signs. Tinder on his phone. Scratches across his back. A girl’s hair in their shower drain. In the weak phone glow, Javier allegedly started hacking.

Lovell woke to his girlfriend of two years attacking him with a sword, police say. Survival instincts — mainly martial arts training and all the kung fu films he had watched — clicked in.

I was able to wing chun my way to survival,” he told the Oregonian/OregonLive in an interview this week over Facebook messenger, referring to a Chinese martial art. He eventually wrapped Javier in a bear hug. “I saw the look in her eyes, and it scared the living poop out of me,” he told the news outlet. “I told her I loved her, and she was killing me. She needed to call police, or I was going to die.”

Javier broke off the attack and made the call, frantically telling a 911 operator she had stabbed her boyfriend and she thought he was dead. “You used a sword?” the operator asked.

When police did arrive at the scene on March 3, they found Lovell curled up in the blood-spattered bedroom, according to the probable cause affidavit filed by police in Camas, a Washington state town northeast of Portland, Ore. Remarkably, he survived the attack despite serious injuries. Lovell almost lost the index, middle and ring fingers on his hand. But in interviews this week, the competitive gamer sounded happy to be alive.

“I was just so proud for beating this samurai wannabe crazy lady with hate in her heart,” the 29-year-old told the Oregonian/OregonLive. “I’ve been preparing my whole life for something like this.”

Javier — who pleaded not guilty this week to first-degree attempted murder, according to the Columbian — had also allegedly been preparing.

Alex Lovell — known as “Biggie” in his local gamer scene — is an avid player of “PlayerUnknown’s Battleground,” a multiplayer online fighting game. As he told the Oregonian/OregonLive, Lovell has been recently logging 12 to 13 hours a day playing the game. The regimen also required “exercises for his hands, wrists and shoulders and also practicing mouse moves and techniques to maximize performance,” the paper reported.

“I wasn’t a sweaty nerd, more of an Ethlete,” Lovell told the Oregonian/OregonLive.

(iStock photo)

In an interview with police after the attack, Javier, 30, admitted she was frustrated with her boyfriend for staying glued to his game. Then, a week before the violent incident, Javier said she had discovered Lovell was unfaithful. According to the affidavit, she told police she discovered Tinder, the dating app, on his phone. She also noticed scratches on his back, possibly from a romantic encounter. She found red hair in the shower drain — her own hair was dyed green.

She did not confront her boyfriend. In the past, he had just denied such accusations. This time Javier went to the mall and bought a samurai sword. “I thought, I was gonna stab him while he was sleeping,” she told police.

The relationship reached a crisis point on March 2. According to the police affidavit, Lovell came home but ignored his girlfriend. She allegedly decided to go through with the attack, taping the sword and two knives to the bed. Javier also told police she hid Lovell’s phone so he could not call for help. When Lovell finally went to sleep, she reached for the sword.

In an interview with the Columbian this week, Lovell denied he was unfaithful. “I barely had time to hang out with my girlfriend, let alone another girl,” he told the paper. “I didn’t see it coming, but it makes sense that it happened. She obviously didn’t want anyone else to have me, so — samurai sword.”

Doctors were able to reattach Lovell’s fingers where they were nearly hacked off at the base. He also suffered wounds to his feet, legs, torso, neck and head. His right arm is in a cast. Members of the local gaming scene set up a GoFundMe page for his medical bills. The fund is just $2,000 shy of its $10,000 goal after 10 days.

Javier remains in custody. Her attorney did not return an email for comment.

“The feeling I had when I won the fight with my bare hands is just absolutely the best feeling,” Lovell boasted this week from the hospital. “I’ve played all the sports, won big games, landed some decent tricks on my snowboard. This was better.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ninja style moves?

Jefferson City man arrested for waving sword at people
    Thursday, May 31, 2018 12:18:42 PM CDT in News By: Steve Lambson, News Content Manager

JEFFERSON CITY - Prosecutors charged a man on Wednesday with unlawful use of a weapon and resisting arrest after he allegedly swung a sword near some people.

According to police, Crystopher Wright got into an argument with a group of people Wednesday afternoon on Madison Street. At the time Wright reportedly had a "ninja style sword," which he unsheathed as he walked toward the group.

The probable cause statement said Wright then "began to swing the sword around aggressively doing 'ninja style moves.'"

When police arrived, officers said Wright refused to put the sword down, despite their repeated commands. An officer used a Taser on Wright, and police took him into custody without further incident.
    Thought you couldn't see ninja style moves. Cuz they're ninjas.

THREADS
    Ninja FAIL
    Bad Day for Samurai Wannabes
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

$1 million bounty on Jacob Gonzales

MAN CHARGED WITH DECAPITATING GIRLFRIEND WITH SAMURAI SWORD — AND HE’S ON THE RUN
    by NOAH HUROWITZ JULY 3, 2018 • 2:23 PM ET
    Jacob Gonzales is wanted for the murder of his girlfriend Katherine Cunningham — and has $1 million bounty on his head.

A Washington fugitive with a $1 million bounty on his head has been charged with murdering his girlfriend after his DNA turned up on a samurai sword smeared with the victim’s dried blood, according to court documents.

Jacob Gonzales, 33, of Camano Island, Wash., disappeared in February, about two weeks before the day that prospective property buyers found the decapitated body of his girlfriend, Katherine Cunningham, 26, near what police described as a survivalist bunker on the island.

Prosecutors charged Gonzales with the murder of Cunningham after forensic tests matched DNA found on the hilt of the sword to Gonzales and matched blood found on the blade to Cunningham, police said. The sword, which was found in a car ditched near Yreka, Calif., is likely the weapon used to decapitate Cunningham, according to investigators.

The would-be buyer made the grim discovery on March 3 while walking the 10-acre property adjacent to his land with several friends, when they came across the bunker located in a ravine, police said.

While poking around, the man spotted a sleeping bag wrapped in a tarp. One of the men nudged the sleeping bag with his toe, and noticing something heavy inside, pulled back the tarp to reveal the body of Cunningham, whose head was missing from the jaw up, according to an affidavit.

Police on March 12 issued a warrant for Gonzales’ arrest and announced a $1 million reward for information leading to his arrest. He was initially charged with various weapons charges after police found two Soviet-era Mosin Nagant rifles, a .22-calibre rifle, and a pump-action shotgun, all of them loaded, inside the bunker, according to court documents.

Detectives also found a loaded 9mm handgun tucked into a man’s hiking boot inside the trailer, according to court documents.

"Based on those results, we amended the charges," Island County Prosecutor Greg Banks said in a statement.

The bunker in which police found the weapons consisted of a hole in the ground that led to a larger dugout area reinforced by a wooden structure underground, police said. Gonzales had been storing items on the property for about three years, and he and Cunningham had been living in a trailer on the property for several months, neighbors told police.

Based on a laptop and cell phones found in a search of the property, police believe Gonzales killed Cunningham around February 15 before fleeing in her car — which he later ditched with the sword inside — investigators said. California Highway Patrol found the car on Feb. 19, and police in Washington found out about the discovery of the car on March 15, officials said.

If convicted, Gonzales faces between 20 and 28 years in prison, according to prosecutors.

Gonzales has ties to the areas around Merced County and Los Banos in California, and police believe he may be hiding out there, according to the Stanwood Camano News.

Police described Gonzales as standing about 5-feet-eight-inches tall and weighing about 150 pounds, adding that he may have shaved his head and facial hair, and cautioned that he should be considered armed and dangerous.

Officials urged anyone with knowledge of the fugitive’s whereabouts to contact the Island County Sheriff’s Office by calling 360-679-9567 or emailing tips@co.island.wa.us.

[Photo: Island County Sheriff's Office]
    Harsh story. Hope they catch him.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Twins

This has the makings of a psychological thriller.

Police: Muncie man stabbed twin brother with samurai sword
    Douglas Walker, Muncie Star Press Published 3:31 p.m. ET July 26, 2018 | Updated 3:43 p.m. ET July 26, 2018

(Photo: Photo provided)

MUNCIE, Ind. – City police said a Muncie man attacked his twin brother with a samurai sword, then held the bleeding, nude victim against his will in a bathroom.

Justin Everett Shields, 25, of the 1000 block of West Main Street, was arrested this week on preliminary counts of battery with a deadly weapon, criminal confinement, strangulation and interefernce with the reporting of a crime.

A Muncie police officer was sent to a reported domestic disturbance at the brothers’ home shortly before 6 a.m. Wednesday, and forced open a locked door after hearing someone inside screaming for help.

He reported finding “a clothed male” later identified as Justin Shields standing in the doorway of a bathroom, and a “naked male” – Shields’ brother, Jacob – in a shower, bleeding from a laceration on his left arm.

Jacob Shields said his brother had stabbed him with a “katana,” a Japanese sword.

“A sword was located in plain view on the bedroom floor near the bathroom,” the officer wrote in a report. He also reported finding blood and bloody napkins throughout the house.

The accuser also said Justin Shields – who was being held under a $25,000 bond Thursday in the Delaware County jail – had “prevented him from calling for help by choking him and dragging him into the bathroom.”

Police had been to the Shields home before, on May 15, when Jacob Shields was arrested after he allegedly bit and beat his twin brother, along with throwing a door at him.

Based on those allegations, Jacob Shields is charged with domestic battery resulting in moderate bodily injury, a Level 6 felony, in Delaware Circuit Court 1.

An intial hearing in that case is set for May 24.

Douglas Walker is a news reporter at The Star Press. Contact him at 765-213-5851 or at dwalker@muncie.gannett.com.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kuala Lumur 3 musketeers

There's a vid - never turn your back on someone with a weapon.

Three men held over samurai sword attack
    NATION
    Saturday, 8 Sep 2018

KUALA LUMPUR: Three men have been detained in connection with the attack on a highway traffic supervisor which went viral on social media.

Kuala Lumpur deputy police chief Deputy Comm Datuk Zainuddin Yaacob said the incident occurred at 4.39pm on Thursday when the victim ordered the first suspect to move his vehicle.

The vehicle was at that time parked at the entrance of a highway project site in Jalan Alam Damai, Cheras.

He said this individual got upset and there was an argument before he called the second suspect for help.

“The victim was rushed to Hospital Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia for treatment,” he said.

DCP Zainuddin said police managed to track down the suspects and arrested them along with a third individual.

They are between 23 and 25 years old.

“We seized the sword used in the attack,” he said.

DCP Zainuddin advised the public not to speculate on the incident and urged anyone with information to contact investigating officer Insp Muhammad Shahriman Othman at 017-652 8746 or Deputy Supt Zolkifli Mohd Yasin at 019-258 0008.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This might have been a good day for a Samurai Wannabe...

...Lawd, with new as it is today, I can hardly tell good days from bad days anymore.

Elon being Elon: Five takeaways from Musk’s pot, sword and philosophy fest with Joe Rogan

Tesla co-founder and CEO Elon Musk takes a drag from a cigarette laced with marijuana in this screenshot from the Joe Rogan Experience podcast on Thursday, Sept. 6, 2018.

By REX CRUM | rcrum@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
    PUBLISHED: September 7, 2018 at 7:52 am | UPDATED: September 8, 2018 at 6:03 am

It might have been The Joe Rogan Experience, but there was no doubt that it was The Elon Musk Show when the Tesla chief executive opened up about a variety of topics on the comedian’s podcast Thursday night.

By Friday, it was almost impossible to avoid talk about Musk’s 2 1/2-hour-long appearance on Rogan’s program. Anyone wanting to re-live the experience could download the podcast from Apple’s podcast app, Rogan’s own podcast website, or watch the whole thing, which Rogan posted on the Vimeo video site.

For a guy who often brooks no quarter in saying what’s on his mind via Twitter or other outlets, yet who can also sound like a 12-year-old boy being forced to visit his grandparents over the holidays when he has to take questions from Wall Street analysts, Musk’s appearance may have been the ultimate example of Elon being Elon, as he answered everything Rogan threw at him, and also left many still wondering about just what is going on inside of his head at any given time.

So, just what did we learn about Musk from the appearance on Rogan’s show? Here are five takeaways from Musk’s unusual interview.

He’s not afraid to blaze up.

Musk didn’t hesitate to have a toke when Rogan offered him a cigarette that Rogan said was laced with marijuana.

Sure, pot is legal in California now. But there’s still a stigma attached to firing up a joint in public. And by Friday, Tesla investors showed some of their feelings about Musk and Rogan being doobie brothers, as they drove Tesla’s share price down almost 6 percent to $264.40.

But maybe Musk was also playing up to a joke he made in a recent interview with the New York Times about his (now-cancelled) plan to take Tesla private for $420 a share?

When asked about the $420 price having a connection to how the number 420 is commonly used to refer to marijuana, Musk told the Times, “It seemed like better karma at $420 than at $419. But I was not on weed, to be clear. Weed is not helpful for productivity. There’s a reason for the word ‘stoned.’ You just sit there like a stone on weed.”

He can handle a blade when necessary.

As if smoking a joint during a live podcast wasn’t weird enough, Musk also took control of a Japanese samurai sword, and studied the blade for a moment. Maybe he was contemplating his thoughts about all the short sellers of Tesla stock out there?

Tesla co-founder and CEO Elon Musk admires a samurai sword in this<br />screenshot from the Joe Rogan Experience podcast on Thursday, Sept. 6, 2018.

Please, don’t call him a “magnate.”

Maybe Musk needs to change his job title? He said people misunderstand what he really does for a living.

“I think people, like, don’t totally understand what I do with my time,” Musk said. “They think, like, I’m a business guy, or something like that. My Wikipedia page says business magnate.”

Rogan then asked Musk what he would call himself, if not a magnate running Tesla, SpaceX, the Boring Company, and who, by Musk’s own account, has “a million ideas.”

“A business magnet,” Musk replied.

Tesla almost died 10 years ago.

Tesla delivered more than 40,000 of its Model 3, Model X and Model S cars during the second quarter of this year. However, that number could have been zero, and Tesla might have potentially gone the way of the Dodo due to the financial crisis of 2008. Musk said the situation was so bad that Tesla “barely survived” the year.

He can be philosophical…But is it real?

Musk told Rogan that it was “easy to demonize people” and that when you do so, “you’re usually wrong about it.” He also said that “people should be nicer to each other.”

Whether is was the weed talking or not, it was hard to not notice that Musk’s call for civility also came two days after he called British cave diver Vern Unsworth a “child rapist”. Musk has been in a war of words with Unsworth for two months, having first referred to him as “pedo guy” in a tweet following the rescue of 12 Thai boy soccer players, and their coach, from a flooded cave in Thailand.
    At least he got a buzz. That's a good day, right?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Elon Musk Wields Prized Sword | Forbes

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Axe & Katana murder

How horrible.

BOY, 17, MURDERED STEPMOTHER WITH AX AND SAMURAI SWORD AFTER WATCHING VIOLENT VIDEOS ON 4CHAN
    BY BRENDAN COLE ON 9/14/18 AT 10:05 AM

A teenage boy who used an ax and a samurai sword to slaughter his stepmother has been jailed for life.

Reuben Braithwaite had watched footage of extreme violence on the website 4Chan, which showed mass killings and beheadings.

He got Fiona Scourfield, 54, to leave her house by telling her about an injured cat. Then, he hit her on the head with the ax and slit her throat with the sword.

The 17-year-old told Swansea Crown Court in Wales that he was unhappy with his life, but too scared to commit suicide and wanted to be arrested.

He had planned the killing the night before while he was in bed, Wales Online reported.

Rueben Braithwaite, 17, has been jailed for 15 years for murdering his stepmother Fiona Scourfield with an ax and a samurai sword.
    FACEBOOK

He had looked after 32 animals with his stepfather at her home in Carmarthenshire, Wales.

On March 6, when he was 16, he came home from school and after feeding the animals, grabbed an ax from a workshop.

John Hipkin, for the prosecution, said Braithwaite used his mobile phone to call 999 and tell police what he had done.

When he was arrested, he told officers: “I wanted to kill her without distress. I wanted her dead so that I could have a life. But I didn't want to kill her in any psychotic way.”

Braithwaite admitted the killing in July. His name was initially suppressed but reporting restrictions were lifted after lobbying from the media. He was sentenced to 15 years in jail, but would have got 25 had he been an adult at the time of the crime.

Judge Mr. Justice Picken said: “You made a clear decision to go and find the weapons and use them with the sole intention of killing Mrs. Scourfield. The savagery of the attack on a woman who cared for you makes it all the more worse.”

The judge said a psychiatric assessment concluded “he was not suffering from any mental health condition” at the time of the murder, Wales Online reported.

Scourfield was a volunteer with the U.K. German Shepherd Rescue charity.

After her death, her family said in a statement: “Fiona was a loving and caring person who will be remembered for her kindness, especially her kindness to animals.

“We would like to thank everyone for their support at this horrific time. It has meant so much to the whole family,” the Mail Online reported.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Douglas Plumpton, a.k.a. "Jack Rasta"

Sword murder accused told police: “Oh dear, I thought at most it would be manslaughter."
    Douglas Plumpton, also known as "Jack Rasta", says he hit Iain Maddocks with a sword "in self defence"
    By Lynda Roughley
    15:27, 17 SEP 2018 UPDATED17:01, 17 SEP 2018

A man armed with a large ceremonial sword and a kitchen knife inflicted fatal stab injuries on a friend who owed him money, a court heard today.

Victim Iain Maddocks died on his 32nd birthday after calling round at Douglas Plumpton’s flat with £40 instead of the £70 he had apparently agreed to pay off his debt.

Despite treatment by paramedics, and the air ambulance being called, Mr Maddocks died in hospital about an hour and half later, having suffered five stab wounds and two groups of slash wounds.

Liverpool Crown Court heard today that there was blood along 19cm of the two inch thick sword from the tip. The sword along with the knife, was shown to the jury.

Plumpton, 26, known by the nick name of ‘Jack’ or ‘Jack Rasta, has admitted manslaughter but denies murder.

Gordon Cole, QC, prosecuting, told the jury that about 2pm on Good Friday, March 30 this year, the ambulance service was called to a flat in Whetstone Lane, Birkenhead.

Police at a house on Whetstone Lane,Birkenhead. (Image: LIVERPOOL ECHO)

Paramedics found Mr Maddocks with stab wounds to his leg and torso, lying outside Plumpton’s flat “clearly in a very bad way”.

He was pronounced dead in hospital at 3.26pm.

A pathologist found the cause of death was shock and haemorrhage caused primarily by a cut to the femoral artery in his left leg.

Mr Cole said that another resident in the block, Leslie Fowell, told how Mr Maddocks, who also lived there, had told him a few days earlier that he owed the defendant ‘a couple of hundred pounds’ which Plumpton had agreed could be paid back at £70 a month but in March he was only able to pay £40.

Mr Fowell related how, on the day of the killing Plumpton banged on his door “looking scared" and he said: "I've stabbed Iain."

Mr Fowell said Plumpton then said: "He shouldn’t have f….ing kicked off at my door. He owed me £70 but only gave me £40. What does he think I am? Some sort of d…head?’”

Mr Fowell was concerned as he knew the defendant had swords in his flat and went downstairs and saw the victim being tended to by paramedics. He described there "being blood everywhere".

On returning to Plumpton’s flat he told him that Mr Maddocks was dead and being given heart massage.

Mr Cole said: “The defendant was on the phone and was heard to say, ‘I love you dad’. The defendant then sat down and began smoking a cannabis joint."

Plumpton, who allegedly told Mr Fowell that he had smashed the headlights on the victim’s car as he had not repaid any of the outstanding money, remained in his flat for about 20 minutes and Mr Fowell told the police where he was.

Police at a house on Whetstone Lane, Birkenhead. (Image: LIVERPOOL ECHO)

Mr Cole said that another man called by Plumpton to come round found Mr Maddocks slumped in the communal area of the flats with his head against the outside of Plumpton’s front door.

While trying to help him, Plumpton opened the door and allegedly said: "Leave him there, the ambulance has been called. He went on to say: "I didn’t mean it."

Mr Cole said: “The defendant told him that Iain Maddocks had come to his flat with a knife so he armed himself with a sword and stabbed him. (The other man) took the sword which he saw in the flat and placed it down the side of a sofa. He rang an ambulance and remained with Iain Maddocks who was now completely unresponsive."

He alleged Plumpton inflicted the fatal leg wound with the sword and used the knife to stab the victim right through the left arm and into his torso. Mr Cole said that Plumpton may say that Maddocks had a knife with him when he came to the flat.

When arrested on suspicion of attempted murder Plumpton, who identified himself as Jack Douglas, said: “Is Iain ok? I’ve got a Saxon style ceremonial sword in my flat. Iain was shouting through my letterbox. I only hit him a couple of times to get rid of him.”

After the Mr Maddocks died and Plumpton was arrested on suspicion of murder he replied: “Oh dear, I thought at most it would be manslaughter. He came around to mine kicking off, it was self-defence.”

Mr Cole said that the injuries showed at least an intention to inflict really serious harm and he pointed out that the victim had defensive type injuries where he was trying to fend off the blows and the weapons.
    'I only hit him a couple of times to get rid of him.' Well, that's all it took.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sword thief

There's a vid

Man hospitalized after stealing sword
    By: Lance Johnson
    Posted: Sep 19, 2018 05:52 PM CDT
    Updated: Sep 19, 2018 06:16 PM CDT

MONROE, La. - It happened Monday night on Louisville Avenue. One of the owners at the Car King, tells us what he remembers.

"He ran into the store next door and pulled out a sword or something that they had on display and it went crazy from there."

The Lucky 7 Tattoo parlor sits next door, where the owner there says a man took a decorative item after seeming a bit off.

"A couple customers here noticed he was breathing a little heavy then started taking big, deep breaths. At that point, he ran beside one of our coke machines where he grabbed one of our decour swords."

The family of the man says that drugs played a part in the situation The mother says she's heart broken.

"It's very painful to see your child go in that direction."

"The person that was seen with those issues at that time, is a good person."

She says this issue shouldn't define who were son is. She says he is an upbeat person both inside and out. She mentions that if anyone is thinking of using drugs to relax or forget their issues, it can lead to a serious situation for self and for family.

"I pray that nobody has to deal with this and go through that."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

What a horrible world we live in sometimes...

Does this White Supremacist Samurai Wannabes qualify as a Martial Art Terrorist? A terrorist wannabe for sure - I'm more questioning if this gets pinned to the martial arts.

Sword Killing Was ‘Practice’ for Racial Terrorism, Man Told Police

In a video shown in New York Supreme Court on Thursday, James Jackson said he had in mind “an amateurish, slipshod version” of “a terrorist attack.”Credit Jefferson Siegel for The New York Times
    By Sean Piccoli
    Sept. 20, 2018

A white Army veteran charged with fatally stabbing a 66-year-old black man with a sword in Midtown last year told the police that the slaying was “practice” for a larger racial terror attack he planned to carry out in Times Square.

In a police interview video taken after he surrendered about a day after the March 2017 killing, James Harris Jackson, of Baltimore, said he stabbed Timothy Caughman repeatedly with a “Roman short sword” that he drew from a scabbard tucked into his pants. He said his ultimate goal was to murder several black men — preferably younger black men in the company of white women — because of his hatred of interracial dating.

“That’s the main crux for me,” said Mr. Jackson, now 30, saying that mixed-race couples were “an insurmountable problem” for him, in an interrogation video shown on Thursday afternoon at a pretrial hearing in New York Supreme Court. He would face a maximum sentence of life in prison without parole if he is convicted on murder, terrorism, hate-crime and weapons charges.

Mr. Jackson sat silently between his two lawyers on Thursday, half-watching video of himself from 18 months ago on a flat-screen positioned directly across from the defense table in Judge Laura A. Ward’s courtroom.

In the video recorded early on Wednesday, March 22, 2017, a calm, almost nonchalant-sounding Mr. Jackson spoke freely about what he said he had done about a day before, and why.

With little prompting from the lead interrogator, Detective Joseph Barbara, Mr. Jackson re-enacted the killing, standing up in the cramped interview room and using a two-fisted, downward motion to describe how he stabbed Mr. Caughman, who was sifting curbside litter for recyclables, on West 36th Street near 9th Avenue at about 11:15 p.m. that Monday.

Mr. Caughman screamed and rolled over — “He scared the hell out of me,” Mr. Jackson said — and then cried repeatedly, “What are you doing?”

“So I stabbed him a couple of more times in the chest,” Mr. Jackson said.

He said that in the course of the attack the sword struck the pavement, crumpling the tip of the blade. “I had put a little too much energy into it,” Mr. Jackson said.

He fled with his broken weapon, which he told detectives he then tossed into a garbage can in Washington Square Park. Mr. Caughman, who lived in a nearby shelter, walked a block to a police station on West 35th Street, where officers summoned an ambulance, the police said. He died at Bellevue Hospital.

[By all accounts, Timothy Caughman was a benevolent man content with an unassuming life, living in a former single room occupancy residence that had been his longtime home. For more about his life, read here.]

Twenty-five hours later, Mr. Jackson, who had seen his image from surveillance video in news reports, walked into the police substation in Times Square and told officers to arrest him, the police said. He was taken to the same precinct where Mr. Caughman had sought help.

Mr. Jackson spent about two hours talking to detectives, prosecutors said. They showed about an hour of the interview on Thursday, and planned to show the rest on Friday.

“I was going for something a bit bigger,” Mr. Jackson told his interrogators, explaining that over the course of several days in New York, with a hotel in Times Square as his base, he walked around Manhattan actively stalking between 10 and 15 individuals or groups with the thought of killing them. He said he almost carried out other attacks, using two knives hidden in his pockets, but hesitated.

“It’s more complicated than you think,” he said.

[Mayor Bill de Blasio spoke at the funeral of Timothy Caughman, who was remembered as a individual of quiet dignity and broad interests. Read more here.]

He said he felt “kind of bad” that his victim was an older man — but only because he wanted to kill somebody younger. When Detective Barbara asked him if he felt any remorse, Mr. Jackson said, “No,” adding, “He’s a homeless black guy.”

Mr. Jackson said his next step was to move on to a larger attack in a city that he called the center of the media universe. “I wanted to basically influence the national conversation,” he said.

“I was planning on doing basically as many as I could in Times Square,” he said, and he had prepared to send an email to The New York Times or CNN explaining his motives. He told detectives that his letter could be found on a file called Declaration of War, on a flash drive he possessed when the police arrested him.

He said he had in mind “a terrorist attack” — what he called “an amateurish, slipshod version” of one.

In the portions of video shown in court, Mr. Jackson did not say why he changed his mind or what led him to surrender. But he said that after the attack he had walked aimlessly around Manhattan. He said he also had slept on the floor at Pennsylvania Station for a couple of hours.

“I was just kind of processing what had happened,” he said. He told detectives that he wondered, “If I just stab another person, what difference does that make? The point’s already been made.”

A graduate of a private Quaker high school in Baltimore known for its philosophy of nonviolence, Mr. Jackson said he also thought about his parents and two brothers in Maryland. “This is obviously going to be devastating to my family,” he said.

Two relatives of Mr. Caughman, his cousins Norma and Iris Peek, sat in the courtroom and watched the video impassively. Norma Peek remarked afterward at Mr. Jackson’s lack of remorse. “And after graduating from a Quaker school,” she said incredulously.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

“tai chi” motion + muscle spasm

That is the dumbest excuse ever.

FORMER BOXER FOUND GUILTY OF TRYING TO KILL POLICEMAN WITH SAMURAI SWORD
    BY JAMES HETHERINGTON ON 10/13/18 AT 9:47 AM

A former professional boxer has been found guilty of trying to kill a police officer with a samurai sword.

Milos Radovic, 46, who lives in Perth, Western Australia, was convicted in the Supreme Court on Friday after a grueling five day trial. He attacked Senior Constable Andrew Swift in July last year and left the officer with a cut that reached down to the bone and a fractured skull.

Radovic has twice fought Australian boxer Danny Green. Green is best known for defeating American Roy Jones Jr. in the opening round of the IBO Cruiserweight title bout in 2009.

Senior Constable Andrew Smith after he was attacked by a former boxer wielding a samurai sword in July 2017.
    WESTERN AUSTRALIA POLICE UNION

In his defense, Radovic said he was holding the sharp sword and moved it in a “tai chi” motion, according to The West Australian. Radovic claimed he had a muscle spasm and accidently cut Swift. The jury was unconvinced by Radovic’s story and found him guilty of attempted murder.

Swift tried to disable Radovic before the attack by firing a stun gun at him, but the attempt was unsuccessful. According to the ABC, while striking the sword, Radovic reportedly brought the weapon down “in a chopping motion—akin to someone chopping logs.” Swift said he momentarily saw black before regaining his awareness. He then managed to electrocute Radovic with the stun gun and the attacker was eventually subdued.

The incident took place outside the home of Radovic’s ex-wife and three children. He was reportedly armed with the samurai sword because he planned to confront two men—who were supposedly using one of his sons as a drug a mule. Radovic also had a knife tucked into his shoe.

Swift spoke to reporters outside the courtroom following the verdict and said he felt a sense of relief with the outcome. "It's been a long time, 14 months waiting for this verdict," Swift said, according to the ABC. "I don't feel anything towards him personally, it's just an unfortunate series of events. I just did what I was supposed to do, what I was paid to do, what I needed to do. Hopefully he just stays away for a long time, both me and his family can get on with life."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I was wondering when this might happen

Didn't expect it would be fatal.

'GAME OF THRONES' FAN STABBED NEIGHBOR TO DEATH WITH CEREMONIAL SWORD
    BY DAVID BRENNAN ON 11/12/18 AT 9:00 AM

This photo shows the ceremonial sword Douglas Plumpton used to kill Iain Maddocks in March.

A man has been sentenced to life in jail after killing a neighbor using a ceremonial sword he bought as inspiration for the Game of Thrones-style novel he was writing.

Douglas Plumpton, 26, killed Iain Maddocks in March over an unpaid debt, though he claimed he was acting in self-defense, the BBC reported. A judge in Liverpool, U.K., sentenced Plumpton to serve at least 19 years in jail following the murder, which occurred on the victim’s 32nd birthday. Though the defendant admitted manslaughter, he denied murder.

Plumpton, also known as “Ratsa Jack”—called the emergency services as Maddocks lay dying, claiming the victim had come to his home to attack him. “If he dies, it's his own…fault,” he said in a recording of the call played to the jury.

He claimed Maddocks was armed with a large knife when he arrived at his apartment. Plumpton said he then grabbed one of his two ceremonial swords—which he owned to help him visualize scenes for his fantasy novel—to defend himself.

The court heard that Maddocks bled to death having suffered multiple stab and slash wounds. An injury to the femoral artery in his left leg proved fatal, the Liverpool Echo reported.

Judge Alan Conrad said Maddocks died in “horrific circumstances” which have “caused misery and pain to those close to him.” Addressing Plumpton, he said, “He had done nothing to deserve the brutal armed violence that you used and which ended his life.”

Conrad said Plumpton was a known drug dealer, and Maddocks one of his customers. The victim fell into debt with Plumpton and this, Conrad said, was “the real cause of your annoyance.”

Douglas Plumpton, 26, was sentenced to at least 19 years in jail for the murder.
    MERSEYSIDE POLICE

Plumpton had damaged Maddocks’s car over the outstanding £140 ($180) payment, which they had agreed would be paid back in £70 ($90) installments. But the first month, Maddocks only paid £40 ($51). In retaliation, Plumpton smashed the headlights on Maddocks’ car.

“When Mr. Maddocks came to your door, believing you were responsible for damaging his car, you armed yourself,” Conrad said. After the stabbing, the judge said Plumpton tried to cover his tracks by placing a large knife next to the incapacitated Maddocks and even considered moving him to a nearby empty flat.

When told he was being arrested on suspicion of murder, Plumpton replied, “Oh dear, I thought at most it would be manslaughter. He came around to mine kicking off, it was self-defense.”

In a statement supplied to the court, the victim’s mother—Linda Maddocks—said her son’s death was “the worst day of my life.” She said he “was always smiling and loved life so much. This is something you never get over as a mum. I just wish I could change places with him."

This article was updated to include images of Douglas Plumpton and the murder weapon.
    THREADS
    Game of Thrones
    Bad Day for Samurai Wannabes
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips