Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad Day for Samurai Wannabes

Don't drink and sword

I'm very serious about that.
    Samurai sword used in woman's fatal stabbing
    By NICHOLAS PERSAC • The News Journal • July 27, 2009

A 21-year-old woman died early Sunday when her boyfriend stabbed her with a four-foot-long samurai sword at their apartment after the pair got into an argument, police said.

Officers found Angel Zurlo dead from a stab wound in the upper torso. Her body was in a rear bedroom of the couple's home in the Glen Eagle Village Apartments near Newark shortly after 1 a.m. Sunday, said New Castle County police spokesman Cpl. Trinidad Navarro. Police arrested Michael Kolesar, 21, and a friend of the couple, who was released without being charged, Navarro said. Kolesar is charged with manslaughter and possession of a deadly weapon during the commission of a felony.

According to court documents, the pair had been in an argument at Mango's, a nearby bar. It continued when they got to their home on the first block of Sandalwood Drive.

Police arrived after receiving a call about a stabbing and court documents show Kolesar told police, "She's in there, she's in there, she's dying, please come help her." Officers said they found Zurlo stabbed with the sword.

As Kolesar was being arrested, he said, "I didn't mean to do it. I killed her, she means everything to me," according to documents.

Kolesar and Zurlo showed signs of physical abuse, and he had a scratch on the left side of his neck, documents show.

A witness told police Zurlo carried the sword into the room. When Kolesar tried to disarm her, the argument continued and then he stabbed her.

Kolesar told police he was intoxicated and remembers choking but not stabbing Zurlo. He said he couldn't "remember exactly what happened," that he was "in a rage, and probably at fault," court documents show.

Navarro said Kolesar was charged with manslaughter because the case seemed to involve self-defense.

Apartment complex residents said they weren't worried because the incident was not a random crime.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

A lot of swords in the news today...

Solomon Kane is a classic Robert E. Howard hero, same author as Conan.
    28 July 2009 08:11
    JAMES PUREFOY - PUREFOY STABBED ON MOVIE SET

British actor JAMES PUREFOY has opened up about a movie set accident which nearly cost him his life - he was stabbed in the head during a fight scene.
    The 45 year old was filming action epic Solomon Kane in Prague, Czech Republic, last year (08) when a fight scene went badly wrong.
    The Rome star was hit in the head by a stuntman wielding a sword and was rushed to hospital for emergency treatment.
    Purefoy explains, "This seven foot Czech stuntman came at me with his sword but I ducked too late and he caught me."
    Director Michael J. Bassett admits the incident left him fearing the worst for his star.
    He adds, "James went down like a sack of spuds (potatoes). There was blood all over his face, and I thought, 'Is he OK?'"
    Bassett was relieved when the actor was discharged by medics, having just suffered a minor injury - but the accidents onset continued with Purefoy on the end of the second stunt which went awry.
    He explains, "(Purefoy) got his own back on his return, accidentally stabbing an extra just below the eye."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

finally, the one I was looking for...

...this is really harsh and swords were involved.
    POSTED:
    SAPD: Mom Killed Baby With Knife, Sword
    Otty Sanchez Charged With Capital Murder
    Sunday, July 26, 2009
    UPDATED: 9:29 am CDT July 28, 2009
    Scott Wesley Buchholtz Sanchez
    SAN ANTONIO -- Stuffed animals, flowers, and handwritten signs adorned the lawn in front of the home where police said a mother killed her child early Sunday morning.

The parents of a 3½-week-old boy, Scott Wesley Buchholtz Sanchez, were talking about restarting their relationship hours before the child's death, said the baby's paternal grandmother.

The child's mother, 33-year-old Otty Sanchez, decapitated and stabbed her son with a knife and two swords, ate parts of his body and attempted to kill herself, said San Antonio Police Chief Bill McManus.

Sanchez stabbed herself in the torso and sliced her own throat, McManus said. Sanchez was recovering at University Hospital, where she was charged by proxy with capital murder. Bail was set at $1 million.

McManus said that the attack happened one week after the baby's father moved out of the home at 351 Wayside Drive. McManus wouldn't say if the breakup was a motive for the slaying.

The child's paternal grandmother, Kathleen Buchholtz, said Otty Sanchez showed no signs of any emotional problems when she saw her and the baby on Saturday evening. The child's parents had spoken of restarting their relationship, Buchholtz said.

"I'm heartbroken about it, " she said. "That's all I can say. Heartbroken. I just don't understand it."

The child's aunt and two cousins, ages 5 and 7, were in the house at the time of the killing, but none of them were harmed, police said.

McManus said that Sanchez told officers that "she was hearing voices" and that the devil made her kill her child. Police said Sanchez was found sitting on a couch screaming, "I killed my baby! I want to die!"

The police chief said that the crime scene was so horrific that officers at the scene were disturbed and severely affected by the slaying and may need counseling.

"There are a few officers who have had issues since that scene," McManus said. "There were some unspeakable atrocities associated with this crime. You just don't sit it in this business that often."

Luis Yanez, a neighbor, said that everyone on the street was appalled by the news.

"Give (the child) to me, I'll take care of it," Yanez said. "Give it to anybody else. Drop it anywhere else, but don't kill a baby."

Eliane Colchin, a neighbor who gave Sanchez a crib for her baby a few months ago, was devastated by the news.

"When I heard that, I couldn't stand it. I just cried, you know," Colchin said.

Copyright 2009 by KSAT.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

...way to keep it going

...and yes, swords and mental illness are never a good match
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

This is big news in our area

It's such a harsh story given the kid has cerebral palsy. I only mention it here because their making a big deal about the sword.

Missing boy's foster dad's angry text message
    Henry K. Lee,Jaxon Van Derbeken, Chronicle Staff Writers
    Friday, August 21, 2009
    (08-20) 12:48 PDT FREMONT --

The foster father of a missing 5-year-old boy with cerebral palsy sent an angry text message threatening to leave the child alone at a BART platform just 10 days before Hasanni Campbell vanished, according to court documents released Thursday.

In addition, Louis Ross "voiced some misgivings" about caring for a disabled child when he talked to officers investigating the child's Aug. 10 disappearance, according to a statement that Oakland police submitted to justify obtaining a search warrant of Ross' Fremont home.

According to the police account, Ross sent an expletive-laden text message July 31 to Jennifer Campbell, his fiancee and the aunt and foster mother of Hasanni.

"This is f- over, I will watch her but he will be out on the BART and its your responsibility to hey (sic) him so f- you," Ross texted at 9:50 a.m., police said. The references appear to be to Hasanni and his 1-year-old sister.
    No trace of boy

Ross reported Aug. 10 that the boy had vanished from outside a shoe store on College Avenue in Oakland's Rockridge neighborhood where Campbell was working. Ross said he had briefly left the boy when he went around to the front of the store.

Police have searched the neighborhood, Ross' home, a Hayward auto wrecking yard that he visited earlier in the day and local parks, but have not found the boy.

A neighbor in Fremont told police that Hasanni had not been seen for about two weeks before Ross reported him missing.

Oakland police Officer Ross Tisdell wrote in the court papers that the relationship between Ross, 38, and Campbell, 33, "appeared to have some instances of domestic violence."

Police said they had heard reports of a "sword being brandished by Ross at Campbell," but did not elaborate.

A "sword or cutting instrument" were among the items that police sought in a search of his 2002 BMW and the home on Roxie Terrace in Fremont where Ross lives with Campbell and the two children.

Nothing was seized from the home, but Ross voluntarily gave his cell phone to police, court records show.
    'Misgivings' about care

In talking to police, Ross "voiced some misgivings about caring for a developmentally disabled child," Tisdell wrote.

Ross says Hasanni wears arch-support braces because of his cerebral palsy, but that he can walk on his own.

Ross, reached by phone Thursday, downplayed any domestic disputes with Campbell. He said he had sent the text message in frustration at a time when he planned to break up with her.

"It was me venting about a situation in our past that had come back up," he said. "I was ending the relationship at that point."

Ross said he never left Hasanni alone at the BART station. He said he had wanted Campbell to pick up the children, but that she had been unable to do so. The dispute quickly cooled, Ross said.
    Sword under mattress

As for the sword, Ross said he had told police about it and that officers had later returned and picked it up. He said he kept it under a mattress.

"It wasn't a big deal," he said.

Campbell, who is six months pregnant, has declined interview requests.

Ross has said he is cooperating with officials "100 percent" and that he told the truth when he took a polygraph examination last week.

John Burris, an attorney who has consulted with the couple, emphasized Thursday that Ross has always cooperated with the investigation.

"He's very responsive," Burris said.

The case has been puzzling to authorities, in part because bloodhounds could not detect Hasanni's scent outside the Rockridge shoe store where Ross says he left the boy.

In the search warrant affidavit, police said it was a mystery that Hasanni could disappear from "a crowded business district with no witnesses."

There is a $10,000 reward for information leading to the boy's whereabouts. Officer Jeff Thomason, an Oakland police spokesman, said the department still considers the case a missing person investigation. However, a homicide investigator has been put in charge of the probe.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz0OqZn99JD
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Another local one

I hope these weren't our swords. Y'all know that our swords can only be used for good, right?
    Hero teacher 'didn't have time to think'
    Henry K. Lee, Chronicle Staff Writer
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009
    (08-25) 10:21 PDT SAN MATEO --

In the moments after a young man detonated two pipe bombs at Hillsdale High School in San Mateo, English language development teacher Kennet Santana didn't have time to think about what he should do.

Instinctively, as students crouched for cover in their classrooms, Santana, 34, moved toward the explosions. He was confronted with the sight of the youth, wearing a tactical vest with what turned out to be eight other pipe bombs.

The teacher didn't know the devices were bombs. He also didn't know that the suspect, identified as a 17-year-old former student at Hillsdale, was armed with a chainsaw and a sword with a 2-foot blade.

All Santana knew was that this boy was a threat - and that he had to stop him. Without hesitation, Santana tackled the boy shortly after 8 a.m. Monday and yelled at other teachers to call for help. Principal Jeff Gilbert, counselor Ed Canda and Santana held the teenager down until police arrived.

Now, the campus community and authorities are crediting Santana with helping to avert what could have been a disaster: A law-enforcement source said the boy, whose name has not been released because of his age, nursed a grudge against some teachers and had planned to detonate all 10 pipe bombs before attacking students with the chain saw and the sword as they fled.

Santana had just arrived at school and was heading to the office when the attack began.

"It just happened so fast. He didn't even think about it," said his wife, Angelique Vega-Santana, 35.

"Of course I'm proud. The first thing, though, that went through my head was fear, terror of what could have gone wrong," she said. "When I read what the kid actually had and what he was planning to do, the whole thing kind of overwhelmed me, and it's still fresh."

Hillsdale remains closed today while officials clean up from Monday's incident, but Santana was back at work and meeting with other staffers.

Vega-Santana said her husband, who has taught at Hillsdale High since 2007, "is the most loyal person I know, and integrity is like his middle name." The couple have a 23-month-old daughter and live in San Francisco.

Classes at Hillsdale will not resume until Wednesday. "The district will need time to examine and repair the site in order to ensure student safety," officials said on the Web site of the San Mateo Union High School District. Those who left belongings on campus will be able to pick them up once the "site is secured," officials said.

Students, parents and staffers who need a place to go today can report to the San Mateo Adult School at 789 East Poplar Ave. Counselors, psychologists and teachers will be available there.

The chaos began shortly after 8 a.m. Monday when the teenager made his way through the school with bombs secured to a tactical vest, said San Mateo Police Chief Susan Manheimer. The youth lit two of the pipe bombs and threw them in a hallway near the school library.

After the suspect was subdued, police descended on the school at 3115 Del Monte St. and evacuated students and staffers to a nearby middle school, then combed the campus in search of more bombs and evidence.

The school year at the 1,200-student campus began last week, and classes had just begun Monday when the youth came onto campus.

Officers cordoned off the youth's San Mateo home in the Villa Serena Apartments on Casa de Campo with crime scene tape and evacuated nearby units for several hours as they searched the suspect's home, neighbors said.

Those neighbors described the teenager as shy and reclusive, saying he rarely ventured outside.

"He was just a really quiet kid. Not many friends. He kept to himself," said April De Guzman, who lives nearby and has known the suspect since middle school.

Neighbors said the boy has lived with his mother and a sister in the complex of two-story, townhouse-style apartments for several years.

"It's strange," said neighbor Annette Stevens. "You never know who's living next door to you."

Chronicle staff writers John Koopman, Kathleen Pender, Jaxon Van Derbeken and John Coté contributed to this report. E-mail Henry K. Lee at hlee@sfchronicle.com.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz0PDbx7uCR
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Teachers

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I hope these weren't our swords. Y'all know that our swords can only be used for good, right?
    My wife is a middle school teeacher, Things are scarey out there. Parents don't believe their little Johnny or Suzie are even capable of a bad thought, and should only get A's. If they don't get A's then it's the teachers fault and they should be fired immidiately!
    I actually worry, w/ our litigous society and concern for childrens self esteem, that if my wife were attecked and blead on the student (her attacker) would we be sued ! Have to ask Terrence
    Don Berry DC RKC

it was a "martial arts-style" sword...

...that certainly narrows it down.

Police: 'Techno-wizard' suspect fooled family
    Jaxon Van Derbeken, Chronicle Staff Writer
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009
    (08-25) 17:49 PDT SAN MATEO --

The 17-year-old held in the pipe bomb attack on a San Mateo high school was a "techno-wizard" who told his family he was building model rockets as he assembled his explosive devices from material he bought over the Internet, authorities said Tuesday.

Angry with teachers who had given him bad grades at Hillsdale High School, where he dropped out more than a year ago, and smarting over how other students there had treated him, the youth began planning the attack months ago, said law enforcement sources briefed on the interrogation of the boy.

On Monday, he walked onto the campus with 10 pipe bombs strapped to his vest and toting a chain saw in a violin case and a "martial arts-style" sword with a 2-foot blade, authorities said. He set off two bombs before faculty members wrestled him to the ground. No one was injured.

'Cold-blooded plan'

"It was a cold-blooded plan of execution," San Mateo Police Chief Susan Manheimer said at a news conference Tuesday. The teenager's goal, she said, was to cause "mass casualties."

"He was interested in hurting and maiming many people," Manheimer said, to make up for "perceived wrongs."

Without elaborating, the chief added that the boy "did have intended targets ... on the faculty."

Sources have said they believe the youth planned to hack at Hillsdale students and teachers with the chain saw and sword if they were not killed by the bombs.

The chain saw, according to one source, was intended to "differentiate his attack" from other acts of school violence over the years.

The boy's name has not been released because prosecutors have not decided whether to charge him as an adult. He has been booked into juvenile hall on suspicion of attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon and explosives charges.

Mother 'in the dark'

Authorities said that in March, the teenager began making Internet purchases of chemicals needed to make the pipe bombs. He lives with his mother in a San Mateo apartment where authorities seized potential bomb-making materials and computer hard drives during a search late Monday, authorities said.

Officials believe his mother had not been aware of her son's alleged plans. "She was in the dark," one law enforcement source said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the investigation is continuing.

Some of the materials the teenager obtained can legally be purchased only by an adult, authorities said. They said the boy had told family members he was making model rockets.

The law enforcement source described the boy as a "techno-wizard," an assessment echoed by his grandmother. Shirley Youshock said the boy was skilled on the computer and had earned straight A's in school.

Youshock called him a quiet boy and said she knew of nothing that would have prompted Monday's attack.

"I just think that his mind was somewhere else," Youshock said. "He wasn't thinking clearly. ... This is totally out of character.

"Obviously, something went very wrong."

The boy was enrolled in continuation courses, Youshock said. Authorities believe he was taking the classes over the Internet.

Youshock, 78, who lives in Sewell, N.J., said the boy's parents divorced seven years ago. The boy's father, Richard Youshock, lives in Santa Clara. The youth's mother, Carol, and an older sister live in the townhouse-style apartment in San Mateo.

Although investigators believe he was angry at Hillsdale teachers and students, Shirley Youshock said she knew of nothing that was gnawing at her grandson.

"There didn't seem to be anything bothering him," she said. "I'm at a loss, I really am."

The suspect's father declined to comment to The Chronicle on Monday, and efforts to reach his mother have been unsuccessful.
    Father talked of college

"Every time we ever talked to (Richard Youshock), he never said there were any problems with (his son)," Shirley Youshock said. In fact, when she spoke to her son about two weeks before, they talked about the boy going to college, Youshock said.

"He is well-behaved," she said. "I never heard a problem about him at all. He was just a very quiet boy. When we were out there, he was just so polite."

Youshock said she spoke to her son early Tuesday and did what she could to comfort him.

"I'm just so sorry that something like this had to happen," she said. "I'm just thankful that nobody got hurt. ... God was looking out for everybody."

Chronicle staff writers John Koopman and Henry K. Lee contributed to this report. E-mail Jaxon Van Derbeken at jvanderbeken@sfchronicle.com.
    On a totally different news item, our govenator keeps his Conan sword in his office - click for vid and pic
    ValleyWag on the Gov's growing office arsenal

Gawker's Valleywag, aka Ryan Tate, illustrated the (il)logical progression of our governor's apparent fondness for keeping weapons around his Sacramento office in a post today. Obviously it ends with a Gatling gun and the Governator telling the press: "I've put a few new issues into the ROTATION, guys. I hope you don't mind if my answers sound a little CANNON-ED."

It began, however, with a video posted through Twitter in which Schwarzenegger brandishes an enormous knife for no obvious reason

Schwarzenegger followed up that act by uploading a photo of his Conan the Barbarian sword, also stored in his office
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

thats rad, i dont care what anyone says, if your governor has a hand and a half broadsword in his office, hes cool.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Hopkins student kills intruder with samurai sword

A Johns Hopkins University student armed with a samurai sword killed a man who broke into the garage of his off-campus residence early Tuesday, a Baltimore police spokesman said.

According to preliminary reports, a resident of the 300 block of E. University Parkway called police about a suspicious person, department spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said. An off-duty officer responded about 1:20 a.m. to the area with university security, according to Guglielmi. They heard shouts and screams from a neighboring house and found the suspected burglar suffering from a nearly severed hand and lacerations to his upper body, he said.

The suspect was pronounced dead at the scene.

The student told police that he heard a commotion in the house and went downstairs armed with a samurai sword, Guglielmi said. He saw the side door to the garage had been pried open and found a man inside, who lunged at the student.

Detectives were still interviewing the student and his three roommates Tuesday morning, Guglielmi said. Burglars had already stolen two laptops and a Sony PlayStation from the student's home Monday, according to Guglielmi.

Dennis O'Shea, a spokesman for Johns Hopkins, said all four residents of the house are undergraduate students at the university.

The suspected burglar, whose name was not released pending notification of next of kin, had prior convictions for breaking and entering and had just been released Saturday from a Baltimore County facility, Guglielmi said.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

consequences of breaking and entering

A Johns Hopkins University student armed with a samurai sword killed a man who broke into the garage of his off-campus residence early Tuesday, a Baltimore police spokesman said.

According to preliminary reports, a resident of the 300 block of E. University Parkway called police about a suspicious person, department spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said. An off-duty officer responded about 1:20 a.m. to the area with university security, according to Guglielmi. They heard shouts and screams from a neighboring house and found the suspected burglar suffering from a nearly severed hand and lacerations to his upper body, he said.

The suspect was pronounced dead at the scene.
    http://www.sott.net/articles/show/19...ord-police-say

live a life of crime and expect to pay with your life, i say.

sounds fair enough to me, id have chopped his hand off too.

hell go to the middle east and the law would have it done for you!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

what if the guy actually cornered the guy, called the cops and then killed him?

does that make him weird for killing over something as paltry as material goods?

Is a set of tools or some rims worth a life?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

then that would be murder.

personally i dont converse with home intruders, i just kill them so its always defense.

and it wasnt tools or rims it was laptops and playstations.....idk how that makes any difference what so ever...but ya.

anyone who breaks into a home deserves to be dealt the harshest response from
    that homeowner.

It is disgusting to think it okay or pc to think anyone who commits such crimes a victim of anything but their stupidity.

There are sacred spaces and your home is one of them.
    Be well, train hard

Dale Dugas
    Shizi, Jiulong Baguazhang Instructor
    Master Level Dit Da Jow Manufacturer
    New England School of Acupuncture Master's Program

Boston Baguazhang

Combat Iron Palm Iron Vest Training

Boston Baguazhang on Youtube
    IKFF Forum

CDIA Supplies
    PO Box 35
    Quincy, MA