Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad Day for Samurai Wannabes

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    One can genuinely and reasonably be in fear of one's own safety even if the burglar is unarmed," said Andrew D. Levy, a Baltimore defense attorney and an adjunct professor at the University of Maryland School of Law. "But nonetheless, it would be something that a good prosecutor would consider."
    in the heat of the moment... can you honestly say you knew he was unarmed. Guns fit neatly in belts and concealable places along with knives and such. Theres not going back if he pulls a gun out and shoots you. Like I said shot first ask later.

boy would one feel the fool if they assumed an intruder was unarmed and acted accordingly to that assumption only to have themselves or their little baby children shot to death because they didnt proactivley protect themselves or their family.

id rather have my concience plagued by the death of some dead beat than the lack of action that led to my families deaths.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Should the Portillo be charged?

His sister is right - Rice didn't deserve to die for burglary. But if he didn't try to burgle Portillo, this wouldn't have happened, so he's still at fault. Portillo was just the guy on home defense. I can't find blame in his actions at all. He had no idea was Rice might have been packing.

How would this play out differently if Portillo had greeted Rice with a gun?
    Police: Md. student swordsman didn't mean to kill
    By BEN NUCKOLS, Associated Press Writer
    Thursday, September 17, 2009
    (09-17) 09:23 PDT BALTIMORE (AP) --

Baltimore homicide detectives don't believe a Johns Hopkins University student had "the intent to kill" when he used a samurai sword to confront an intruder behind his home, a police spokesman said Thursday.

John Pontolillo, 20, a junior chemistry major from New Jersey, killed the man with a single blow early Tuesday after police said the suspected burglar lunged at him.

Pontolillo has not been charged in the death of Donald D. Rice, 49, who had a long rap sheet of burglary arrests and was released from jail just two days before the altercation. Prosecutors will determine whether charges are appropriate after consulting with police, a process that could take weeks.

"We do not believe he went down there with the intent to kill somebody," police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said of Pontolillo. "We're looking to see if he was the aggressor, and so far the evidence doesn't suggest that."

When Pontolillo saw Rice, he raised the sword and yelled for his roommates to call police, Guglielmi said. Rice lunged at the student, who backed up against a wall. At that point, Pontolillo struck Rice once with the sword, nearly severing Rice's left hand and causing a severe wound to his upper body. Rice died at the scene.

Guglielmi said Thursday that when the student found Rice, he was was hiding in the small, fenced courtyard between the back porch and the detached garage behind Pontolillo's off-campus home. Police had initially said Rice was hiding inside the garage.

Police also revealed that Pontolillo and his three roommates, all Hopkins students, had been warned by a city officer and a campus security officer late Monday about a suspicious person in the neighborhood just east of campus.

At that point, the students told the officers that Pontolillo's XBox video game console and two laptop computers had been stolen from their home earlier that night. Police investigated and found no signs of forced entry, according to police reports about the thefts.

After the officers left, Pontolillo retrieved the sword and decided to perform a more thorough search, including the garage and his car, Guglielmi said. The officers heard the screams during the encounter with Rice and rushed back to the scene, he said.

Pontolillo has not returned calls seeking comment. A man who answered the phone at the home of John A. Pontolillo of Belmar, N.J., said he had no comment.

Rice's sister, Peggy Rice, told WJZ-TV in Baltimore Wednesday that her brother did not deserve to die and that the student should be charged.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Meanwhile, in WA

A baseball bat, knife, a wrench and a three-foot sword? They forgot the candlestick and the rope...
    Wash. teen gets 22 years for dad's murder
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009
    (09-16) 13:15 PDT Spokane, Wash. (AP) --

A teenager who helped beat and stab her father to death has been sentenced to 22 years in prison.

Eighteen-year-old Jackie Wortham said in Spokane County Superior Court on Wednesday that she thinks about her father every day and regrets what she did.

Daniel Wortham was attacked in March 2008 when he returned home from a plumbing job. Prosecutors say Jackie Wortham and her boyfriend used a baseball bat, knife, a wrench and a three-foot sword.

KXLY reports the boyfriend, Edmond Washington, pleaded guilty Wednesday and will be sentenced Oct. 28. Prosecutors are recommending a 22-year sentence.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

sword attack in texas

LOL

A man who was apparently was upset after finding a soda can in his room allegedly used a sword to cut two of his roommates. Michael Angel Zamago was jailed on Friday on a charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon related to family violence. Bail was $25,000.

A police report indicates Zamago was upset to find a soda can in his room, thinking someone entered without permission. Zamago allegedly used the sword to poke holes in a closed door to a room where the pair fled.

One roommate has a cut under his right arm pit. The other suffered a cut in the shoulder area.

A jailer who declined to provide his name said there was no record of an attorney for Zamago.
    from: http://www.sott.net/articles/show/19...nding-Soda-Can

Been meaning to post this one for days...

Obi-Wan Obama
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I love this thread

Reggae and samurai swords. Wow.

Reggae star vs. 'Samurai'
    By JESSICA SIMEONE
    Last Updated: 10:55 AM, October 5, 2009
    Posted: 5:13 AM, October 5, 2009

A reggae star was slashed by a samurai-sword-wielding neighbor in Brooklyn yesterday during a fight over a woman, authorities and witnesses said.

Major Mackerel, whose real name is Garfield Dixon, 41, suffered deep cuts on his hand and head in the 8 a.m. assault with the 2-foot-long blade.

Oscar Joseph, 37, flew into a rage at their building on East 91st Street in East Flatbush because he suspected Dixon -- whose songs include "Fren Enemy" and "Pretty Looks Done" -- of harassing his wife, witnesses said.

"I came out this morning, walked past him singing my song, and we had a little fight," a bandaged Dixon said as he returned to his house yesterday.

But the exchange got hotter than a Jamaican summer, and Joseph allegedly whipped out the blade.

"When I saw him rush at Major, I ran right in," said Dixon's girlfriend , Novia Watson, 51.

"When I came back out, the damage was done. I could see him bleeding a lot."

Dixon was taken to Kings County Hospital.

"It's just a big surprise to me," said Dixon, sporting a hospital gown, with gauze wrapped around his head and hand. "I was just trying to not get stabbed."

Dixon claimed that he was not the one who harassed the suspect's wife.

Joseph was charged with assault, menacing and weapons possession
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Bad day for Samurai Wannabees...

...but good day for this thread.

Sword-wielding man arrested in Upper Darby
    By Mari A. Schaefer
    Inquirer Staff Writer

A man wielding a Samurai sword attacked an Upper Darby police officer who was attempting to take him into custody, after the man threatened to set his rowhouse apartment on fire and commit suicide, authorities said today.

George Henry Rogers, 36, of the 4000 block of Dayton Road, called police just after midnight yesterday and said he was barricaded in his bedroom and had covered the apartment with gasoline.

When police arrived, Rogers tried to stab Officer Dan Lanni with a sword, officials said. Lanni used a Kevlar "Bat" shield to protect himself. The shield is shaped like a large bat with wings that fold around the user. The sword was bent from striking the shield.

Lt. Mike Kehrle subdued Rogers with a taser weapon, police said.

Rogers was taken to Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital in Darby for evaluation, and released. He was charged with attempted murder, assault and other crimes, and was in Delaware County Prison.
    Step-father stabs woman with sword
    Updated: Monday, 19 Oct 2009, 4:41 PM EDT
    Published : Monday, 19 Oct 2009, 4:41 PM EDT

ROCHESTER, NY (WIVB) - Rochester Police officers responded to 47 Green Knolls Dr for a report of a person stabbed.

Upon arrival, officers located the victim, Shanice O'Brien, of Green Knolls Dr. O'Brien was bleeding profusely from several wounds, and stated that her step father, Omar Williams, became angry when he found her in her apartment with her boyfriend.

Williams retrieved a Samuri sword from a bedroom and began to swing it at both Shanice and her boyfriend.

The boyfriend fled the apartment, however O'Brien received several serious slashing wounds prior to fleeing. O'Brien's right hand was almost severed.

Williams was charged with assault in the first degree. He was taken into custody after a short foot chase within the apartment complex.
    Fallon man accused of assaulting girlfriend
    The Associated Press
    Posted: 10/19/2009 12:35:17 PM PDT
    Updated: 10/19/2009 12:35:17 PM PDT

FALLON, Nev.—A 19-year-old Fallon man has been arrested for assault and battery after he allegedly strangled his live-in girlfriend and threatened her with a sword.

Fallon Police Chief Kevin Gehman says Dakota Lumsden allegedly attacked the woman at their home Thursday about 1 a.m. He said she had bruises and abrasions on her neck and other places, but was not seriously harmed.

Police Capt. Vern Ulrich says she told officers in addition to choking her, Lumsden threatened her with a 39-inch sword with a 26-inch blade.

He was being held in the Churchill County Jail on $35,000 bail on charges of domestic battery and assault with a deadly weapon. If convicted of both, he could be sentenced up to 11 years in prison and fines up to $20,000.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

And in contrast...

...I enjoyed this piece immensely.

If only people were allowed to carry swords
    Aaron Graf, Staff Writer
    Published On: 10/20/2009

I am a firm supporter of the second amendment right to bear arms. In the state of Alabama there is one aspect where our second amendment rights are being heinously violated. The aspect I am referring to is the fact that it is illegal for people to openly carry a sword. Some prefer tazers, pepper spray, or pocket knives as a means of self-defense, but swords are simply not allowed.

Why is it perfectly fine to have a concealed .44 magnum with a permit, but completely illegal to have a gladius on your belt? Why is it acceptable to own an AK-47 and a thousand rounds of ammunition in Alabama, but not acceptable to sell a fully sharpened sword? I support the right to own a gun for self-defense, but I personally detest them. So what am I supposed to carry to protect myself when the best alternative is illegal to carry in the streets?

They rationale for banning the open carrying of swords is that it is a means of intimidation. This is only understandable if the carrier has the sword in his or her hand and it is out of its sheath. Some say it’s barbaric and terrifying beyond reason.

This is completely ludicrous; it’s much easier to reattach a severed arm than it is if someone was shot in the arm. By comparison it’s far more humane (so to speak) to die from a sword than from a gun. Not to mention it’s easier to identify the body if you are stabbed in the face than if you were shot in the face.

To be injured from a gun would bring up a twisted form of a scarecrow line from the Wizard of Oz. “They shot me in the kidneys and blew them over there! Then they shot me in the lungs and blew them over there! Then they shot me in the face and all that’s left is hair!”

Guns are far more intimidating than swords. Have you ever tried running from a bullet? Having a sword at your belt is a more reliable close quarters defense than tazers or pepper spray. The reason is that a sword is easier to see making it far less likely that one would have to use it.

Unlike a sword carrier, a violent gunman is not only barbaric and cruel, but just plain cowardly. Most cops I ask about carrying a sword will tell me very simply, “never take a knife to a gun fight.” To some police it might seem intimidating because a sword can, after all its disadvantages, pierce Kevlar.

Despite this, over 90 percent of policemen who die in the line of duty are killed by their own guns! As far as homicide rates go, two out of every three murder victims are killed by firearms. That leaves swords to be lumped into one out of every three, except it’s also lumped in with other means of death.

Over a third of non-firearm homicides involve the victim being beaten to death. By the time we get down to stabbings, there’s roughly the same rate as the beatings; however, virtually all of those involve switch-blades, kitchen knives, and ice picks.

Alabama’s weapons code has hardly any mention of carrying a sword, but for the most part it’s deemed as a form of intimidation. Now I’ve never been fond of the legal code of this state in the union, but Alabama’s only mention of swords in the legal code is just downright ridiculous. Below is the only mention of swords within Alabama’s weapons laws:

“The term “deadly weapon” as used in this section means a firearm or anything manifestly designed, made, or adapted for the purposes of inflicting death or serious physical injury, and such term includes, but is not limited to, a bazooka, hand grenade, missile, or explosive or incendiary device; a pistol, rifle, or shotgun; or a switch-blade knife, gravity knife, stiletto, sword, or dagger; or any club, baton, billy, black-jack, bludgeon, or metal knuckles.”

Let me see if I get this straight. How could you conceal a sword like a knife or a pistol (with the exception of cane swords)? Bazookas, hand grenades, missiles, and incendiary devices are in no way like a sword. Can you think of a sword that could kill from over a mile away in the manner of a high powered rifle? Has a high school massacre ever occurred where the assailants believed they were William Wallace and the pep rally the army of Edward Longshanks?

Name one instance where a sword could be used in a fashion other than sheer self-defense in modern times. It can’t be done.

The plain fact of the matter is that nearly all homicides involve concealed weapons. Openly carried weapons are usually not used in cases other than self-defense. Police routinely harass those who openly carry a firearm enough as it is, but at least you can receive a permit to carry one.

If people were allowed to carry swords openly, muggings would be a lot less common. Don’t worry, a swordsman will rob nobody, he’d be pretty easy to spot.

Just think of it from the fact that the country is in a lot of debt. Issuing sword-carrying permits to law-abiding citizens would provide the government with another source of income. I’m not saying to let someone walk into a bank, school, hospital, or a place of business with a sword, rules must be applied. But for someone like myself, for someone who has a very big mouth, I would feel safer if I had a saber rather than a can of pepper spray in case of attack.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

<interlude>
    Without wanting to derail the thread, I was recently surprised to discover pepper spray is illegal in the UK. You cannot carry _anything_ for protection here.

Now, back to the swords</interlude>

GENE HIT THE JACKPOT!
    Thanks for some great additions...gonna have to check out this batwing shield thingy

And it's true "right to bear arms" does seem to be slanted toward guns...
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Here's a few more

What is it about samurai swords?

Four held as samurai sword seized

Four men have been arrested and a samurai sword seized in Bangor, County Down.

Police received a report of suspicious activity in the Carlton Heights area of the town in the early hours of Wednesday.

A car with the four men on board was then stopped by officers at Clover Hill at about 0210 GMT.

A number of items were recovered by police, including the sword and a baseball bat.

The men, who are aged 32, 22, 21 and 18, are being questioned.
    Jail for Samurai sword Post Office raiders
    Nov 12 2009 by Robin Turner, Western Mail

TWO brothers who robbed a post office armed with a Samurai sword and a starting pistol were jailed yesterday for a total of 19 years.

Ryad and Richard Morgan, 28 and 25, of Briton Ferry, disguised themselves with black balaclavas when they burst into the Briton Ferry Post Office in Neath Road, Briton Ferry in May.

Ryad Morgan kicked postmaster Andrew Ball in the face, breaking his nose, and his brother ****ed the pistol in front of his face as if to shoot. Mr Ball handed over £26,000.

Ryad Morgan, who denied his part in the armed robbery, was jailed for 12 years yesterday and Richard Morgan, who pleaded guilty was jailed for seven years.

The court heard Mr Ball needed plastic surgery for his facial injuries.

In a victim impact statement, he said: "I will never forget the madness in the eyes of the man with the sword ."
    Sentencing delayed in Oroville woman's samurai sword killing
    By TERRY VAU DELL-Staff Writer
    Posted: 11/11/2009 12:00:00 AM PST

OROVILLE — Sentencing was postponed Tuesday for an Oroville woman convicted of killing her mother with a samurai sword, so her lawyer can seek a motion for a new trial.

The attorney for Rachael Ann Porteous, 36, said he could not elaborate, but among issues he is exploring is whether the jury that found her sane at the time of the first-degree murder may have been "influenced by outside information.''

Porteous will be back in court Dec. 29 for setting a hearing date on the new trial motion once it's filed.

Porteous was found guilty by the jury of stabbing her 62-year-old mother, Theresa Shaw, 10 times with a relative's ceremonial Japanese sword, at the victim's Oroville home Oct. 21, 2008.

Porteous, who had a history of mental and drug problems, was found legally sane by the same jury after hearing conflicting psychiatric opinions in the case.

In her closing summation to the jury, deputy district attorney Kennedy Rizzuto had pointed to a series of "stressors" in Porteous' life around the time of the slaying, including a recent breakup with a boyfriend in prison and the fact she was facing prison herself for using her vehicle to assault another man.

Her mother, who had legal guardianship of the defendant's four children and was raising them in her home because of her eldest daughter's continued drug use, had gotten into a heated discussion with her just a couple of hours before the killing, the prosecutor noted.

The defense contended Porteous suffered from a mental disorder which prevented her from forming the intent to kill and had asked the jury to find her guilty of a lesser charge of involuntary manslaughter.

A psychologist for the defense testified Porteous had been treated for several years for a bi-polar mental condition, and was not taking her prescribed medication at the time of the slaying.

It was the psychologist's opinion a person with that mental disease, facing the same set of circumstances, would have been unable to rationally premeditate the mother's murder.

Defense attorney Eric Ortner said Tuesday that in preparing his motion for a new trial, he has since requested and received a written transcript of one of two prosecution doctors who testified at the trial as to their opinion the defendant was legally sane when she stabbed her mother to death.

Ortner told Judge William Lamb Tuesday he is considering seeking permission from the court to contact jurors regarding their verdict.

Lamb noted that under law, members of the jury would have be notified regarding their right to be present in court to voice any objections they may have to unsealing personal juror information.

Outside of court, Ortner declined to discuss the specific grounds for seeking a new trial.

"Until I have it finalized, I prefer not to comment because I want to keep all the options open," Ortner told the media.

As for wanting to contact jurors, the defense lawyer said, "I want to know whether there were any outside influences as far as their verdict."

Ortner said he did not talk to any of the jurors following the verdict, but has a "specific" reason for doing so now.

Deputy district attorney Kennedy Rizzuto said while she did not know what the defense lawyer was referring, she agreed to postpone sentencing in the homicide case "to avoid any appellate error."

"I'm committed to making this verdict stick because I believe it was fair and the truth came out at trial," the prosecutor said.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Dacoits

This one is messed up.
    Gang holds baby at sword-point, loots flat
    TNN 16 November 2009, 03:34am IST

HOWRAH: A gang of 15 criminals all aged between 18 and 20 and armed to the teeth held a sword to an eight-month-old's throat and looted a flat in Belur early on Sunday.

When the gang barged into Sandip Goswami's residence at Jajoria Garden government quarters around 2.30 am and asked him to hand over the keys to his almirah, he refused. One of the gang members then picked up Sandip's daughter Rishu and threatened to kill her, forcing Sandip to relent. The gang decamped with cash and jewellery pegged at a total value of Rs 4 lakh.

Residents alleged police were phoned repeatedly, but arrived at the spot much later. No arrests have been made yet.

Sandip, employed in a private firm, lives in Flat 10 of Block B in the quarters with Sunita, his wife of two years, and his child. Sandip's brother and his family also live in the same flat but they were not at the house on Sunday.

Though the gang seemed to have information that the family had jewellery and cash in their flat, they were not sure which of the three blocks the Goswamis lived in. They first tried to break into Flat 10 of Blocks A and C but were thwarted by collapsible gates.

They finally found the correct Flat 10 and knocked on the door. When no one answered, they broke into the flat. Before entering, they warned other residents on the same floor to not come out of their rooms.

Sandip refused to give in to their demand at first, but when they threatened to kill his daughter he handed over the keys to the almirah. The gang ransacked the almirah and other rooms, looting cash, jewellery and three mobile phones. The family told police that the youths were wearing shorts and spoke in Hindi. None of them had his face covered.

The other residents of the building complained of police inaction. "The Bally police station is hardly 10 minutes from the housing complex. I called up police several times and also telephones one of them on his mobile phone but they came an hour after the robbery. The gang was here for 45 minutes and police could have easily nabbed them," said Atanu De, one of the residents of the building.

Police said the force had left the police station much earlier to conduct a raid as they had a tip-off that a gang would assemble near number 40 Belur Gate at Courtbagan. Howrah additional SP (town) Sukesh Jain went to the spot on Sunday afternoon.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Mercy!

You folks must not have spent much time in Texas......

About a year ago a nice upstanding guy in the Houston area confronted a coupla thieves leaving his neighbors house who had no weapons. He pointed a shotgun loaded with deer slugs at'em and said "stop right there". They were recently from New Orleans and didn't understand proper Houston talk, they walked right by him and kept on goin'. He shot'em both in the back at close range and they both died. The police interviewed him but did not charge him, even tho they were not on his property, did not threaten him, and had no weapons.

You see, we have this law in Texas about defending your own PROPERTY... it's very broad and hard to prosecute someone who is clearly on his own property....

Of course, there were marches of lots of folks in front of his house saying thievery did not deserve the death penalty.. but counter-marchers met'em on the street and there was a nice riot on tv with the cops watching from the sidelines...

Laws must be somewhat different in New Orleans....
    .... Skip

We need samurai like this
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !