Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: using high kick in traditional kung fu

survival 101

low risk, high return techniques trump high riisk, high return techniques.

two feet on the ground is preferable to one foot on the ground.

Compact and protected is better than splayed and exposed.

IMHO.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

The only people that shouldn't throw high kicks are the people who don't have the leg training and the skills to do it.

I've seen instructors adopt this 'no high kick' rule of thumb particularly after they pass a certain age and experience loss of ability on their part. It could be due to lack of practice(meaning the Sifu teaches more than has time for himself) or just plain worn out joints/injury. These are the same schools where you'll see a noticibly higher horse stance during forms because that is more 'practical.'

It's a shame when schools take on this 'old man style' because the students miss out on massive development opportunity.

Blog Entries
    Some CMA master once said, "The highest level of the combat skill is the run down ability". If you:

- punch me, I'll run you down.
    - kick me, I'll run you down.
    - don't do anything, I'll still run you down.

http://johnswang.com/Sanshou_6.wmv

If you fight against those people who has good "run down ability", your high kick will be risky.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-19-2009 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeHui702 View Post
    The only people that shouldn't throw high kicks are the people who don't have the leg training and the skills to do it.

I've seen instructors adopt this 'no high kick' rule of thumb particularly after they pass a certain age and experience loss of ability on their part. It could be due to lack of practice(meaning the Sifu teaches more than has time for himself) or just plain worn out joints/injury. These are the same schools where you'll see a noticibly higher horse stance during forms because that is more 'practical.'

It's a shame when schools take on this 'old man style' because the students miss out on massive development opportunity.

its not an old man style, its base on fighting principle of particular style, styles do differ in defense, offense, primary strikes. etc..

its a rule in kungfu, not to throw a highkick unless your opponent is half conscious, that doesnt mean kungfu cannot throw highkicks

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    low risk, high return techniques trump high riisk, high return techniques.

two feet on the ground is preferable to one foot on the ground.

Compact and protected is better than splayed and exposed.

IMHO.
    Unless of course

1) your hands are used to distract and your leg, being twice as strong, can do the most damage

or

2) your hands are occupied, tied up, unable to be used the way you want and thus your legs are the other option

or

3) your hands are used to control and prevent defense while your legs set up the most damaging blow

(just a few thoughts)
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....