Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Patrick Barry

Patrick Barry

If you missed his UFC debut, here's another sanshou champ making it in MMA.

Dan Evensen vs. Pat Barry UFC 92

Dec-21-2008
    Patrick Barry – A “Pure Striker” Makes His Octagon Debut
    By Thomas Gerbasi

I’m not a fighter, but if I happened to be one who was going to be fighting Patrick Barry, I have to say I’d be a little bit curious as to the meaning of the following line from his UFC bio, which gave his thoughts on his UFC 92 opponent, Dan Evensen:

“He's a big guy with lots of experience who claims to be a striker,” said Barry of his opponent. “But everyone's a striker until they get hit by a real striker.”

Right about now I’m glad I’m not a fighter. More specifically, I’m glad I’m not Dan Evensen. And while I have a good idea of what former K-1 kickboxer Barry means by the above statement, I’d like to hear the explanation from the source.

“It’s a fact,” said Barry. “Everybody’s a striker till they get hit by a real striker. I’m a pure striker. I’ve seen a lot of people who say they’re strikers and they get punched in the head or kicked in the leg and it changes their whole perspective on the fight game. I’ve kicked people in the ring and I can see that look on their face that says “oh s**t, what was that?’ Everybody trains hard and hits hard and all that, but I hit really, really hard.”

He’s not kidding. Though only 5-11 (short for heavyweight standards these days), Barry comes into the UFC Octagon with 18 kickboxing wins (18-6-1 record) and a 3-0 MMA record that includes three first round stoppages. He’s also studied his craft under two of the game’s best, Ernesto Hoost and his current trainer, Duke Roufus. This resume has gotten “HD” a nice little buzz leading into his bout this Saturday against the 6 foot 3 Evensen, and he’s heard the talk.

“As soon as I heard about this fight, I was as happy as I possibly could be because the UFC is the Super Bowl of all fight sports,” said Barry. “That’s like the top of the mountain. And I figured, okay, there’s gonna be a lot of people having doubts and that a lot of people are going to think that I’m getting in over my head. But as time has gone by, just hearing comments here and there and reading things that people have been writing, it’s turning out to be a lot bigger than I expected it to be.”

That’s because Barry brings the aura of menace that comes along with being a knockout artist. As nice as he can be when outside the ropes, when the bell rings, he’s a different guy. And when your heroes (besides Mom of course) are Mike Tyson and the Street Fighter videogame character Sagat, there are certain expectations for him to bring the fireworks, something he’s fine with.

“There’s that pressure for every fight that I’m in,” said the 29-year old. “I know that the crowd is what makes us exist. If it weren’t for the fans, we wouldn’t be who we are or where we are. So I know there are a lot of expectations, and just from being an MMA fan myself, of course I would always choose to see someone get their head kicked off than to see somebody get choked unconscious. That’s just me. It’s visually more pleasing for me to see and more exciting. So I’m assuming that the majority of fight fans feel the same way. Nobody’s expecting me to come in and go the distance. I haven’t heard anybody say ‘hey man, I can’t wait for you to go all three rounds with Dan Evensen.’ (Laughs) The questions I’ve been getting are ‘how long is it gonna take before you knock him out?’ One of us is gonna go down, and I’m knocking on wood that it’s not gonna be me.”

With all this talk of striking, kickboxing, and knockouts, it could be easy to forget that Saturday’s bout is a mixed martial arts fight. So what happens if Evensen - a purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under John Lewis – decides that a standup battle with a world-class kickboxer isn’t high on his priority list and takes the fight to the mat? Will it then be easy pickings for ‘The Viking’, or does Barry have some tricks up his sleeve?

“I’m a pretty sensible guy and I’ve always had a good head on my shoulders, and even saying that, I was unable to escape the ‘you know what, I’m just gonna punch and kick everybody and nothing’s ever gonna happen to me’ mentality,” admits Barry. “But when I first got into MMA, my first few practices, Red Schafer, my jiu-jitsu coach, and Ben Rothwell, my other teammate, they both let me know really quickly that you just can’t go in the ring and punch and kick everybody. As soon as they get their hands on you, it’s over, there’s nothing you can do about it – they’re awesome. So I had a very rude awakening. You can’t punch and kick everybody, they’ll just tackle you. And even if you do get back to your feet, you can’t punch and kick the way you used to. So I had to evolve my striking game. You can’t kickbox in an MMA fight. You have to strike like an MMA fighter. And for the last six months, since I started, we’ve been focusing more on jiu-jitsu and wrestling than I have been on striking.”

Barry made his pro MMA debut in May with a first round stoppage of Mike Delaney. By August, he was 3-0 and close to getting the UFC call. And what makes him believe he can finish off the transition from kickboxing to MMA and make some noise in the UFC’s heavyweight division is the same type of resolve that allowed him to get through the events of August of 2005, when Hurricane Katrina ripped through his native New Orleans, tragically taking his home and his grandmother’s life in the process.

“The comparison I can make to the fight sport is that we have to be quick on our feet and evolve to any given situation in a blink of an eye,” said Barry when asked about his own recovery from Katrina. “Katrina came and was way more devastating than we actually believed. We heard it was gonna be bad, but no one really believed it was going to be that bad. When it came through, we had an option, which all people do – we could sit in a chair, grieve, rot away and disappear, or we can accept the fact that it happened and that there’s nothing we could do about it, and move forward. It was a devastating situation to be in, and emotionally it was painful, but we evolved and kept moving forward.”

Now living in Milwaukee, Barry is back on his feet, and his family is back home in Louisiana, where he expects to someday to return.

“Nobody ever truly leaves New Orleans for good,” said Barry. “You may move away and live somewhere else for a while, but if you’re from New Orleans, you always go back, no matter what happens.”

Right now, going back isn’t an option, at least as far as Patrick Barry’s MMA career is concerned. He’s only thinking about moving forward. That doesn’t mean he’s coming in here with brash proclamations and bold predictions, but he does promise to leave his mark, beginning with Saturday’s bout.

“I’m not coming into the UFC saying I’m about to take over the division,” he said. “A fight is a fight, no matter what it is, and there’s no such thing as an easy fight. All fights are hard, and the heavyweight division in the UFC is a monster. (Heavyweight champion) Brock Lesnar’s gotta be the scariest man in the world, but that’s part of it. I don’t think any true athlete would ever want an easy victory, and I want to know that I’m putting forth all this effort and working towards something I’m going to have to actually achieve, and not just an easy win. But it’s gonna be exciting. I’ve never been a dull fighter. I’m a very explosive and athletic guy, and I’m a very aggressive fighter in the ring. Don’t expect the fight to go the distance. It’s gonna be one helluva show - it’s gonna be like a video game.”
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

wiki's entry on him and info on his sanshou career

"George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

more on Barry

I only met Barry once, recently, at the US Open International Martial Arts Championship XII

Pat Barry: Secretly a Ninja
    Written by Dom Velando
    Friday, 26 December 2008 09:17
    Earlier this month, WCL and K-1 veteran Pat “Get Hype” Barry spoke with Wisconsin Combat Sports about his UFC debut against Dan Evensen on Saturday. Barry has trained full-time with legendary kick boxer Ernesto Hoost, but most recently relocated to train with Duke Roufus and Eric “Red” Schafer at Roufusport in Milwaukee, WI. Barry shared with us some insight into his true ninja identity, his nickname and the time he kicked part of Gary Goodridge’s face clean off.

Wisconsin Combat Sports: The funny thing about your nickname is there is, in fact, a lot of hype behind your debut because of the striking level you bring to the UFC. You really don’t see that in the UFC right now. There are plenty of wrestlers in the UFC, that’s for sure, and eventually, if you fight a few times, you’re gonna get taken down. Are you going to use jiujutsu or are you just going to spring back up, or what’s your plan?

Pat Barry: Ever since I made the transition to MMA six months ago, we've been focusing a lot on wrestling and jiu-jutsu more than actually striking...We’ve based my wrestling and jiu-jutsu on anti-wrestling, anti-jiu-jutsu.

WCS: How do you match up with everybody in the gym? I understand you go down and train with [Pat] Miletich as well?

PB: We've gone down to Pat Miletich's gym to train with my teammate, Ben Rothwell, when he fought on the [Adrenaline] show. We’ve done some training with Tim Sylvia. But in our home-gym, we've got “Red” Schafer, who is the man, we've got Scott Huston who's one of the best GI jiu-jutsu guys in the country, we've got Rob Smith, who's a world class wrestler, we've got “Big Papi“, Paul Martinez...we've tall guys, small guys, short guys, big guys…We’ve got boxers, we got kick boxers, we’ve got wrestlers, we’ve got jiu-jutsu guys -- we've got anybody you can think of in the fight game all in one gym.

WCS: What brought you to Milwaukee in the first place?

PB: Duke Roufus is the man. I’ve been all over the planet, I've trained at different gyms with different people -- there’s just something about that man that is just…he's trustworthy. He's honest. He knows the game. He studies the game all day and night. He knows the fight sport better than anybody I've ever met. And he' not just a cookie cutter coach where other coaches I’ve been to train everybody the same whether you’re tall, short, six-ten or five-eleven, they train everybody the exact same away. Duke Roufus has been in the sport for so long that actually designs a strategy depending on what type of athlete you are.

WCS: This is a little early, but I mean, you're short for the division; is there any consideration for you to get down to 205 [lbs]?

PB: I can get down to 205. I mean, it would take some time. I haven't been 205 since was in high school. That was 11 years ago… Yeah, I am five-eleven and a half… mark that: five-eleven and a half, and at 235, I’m a powerful, explosive, quick heavyweight. I'm a pretty small heavyweight in comparison to guys like Ben Rothwell, but Fedor Emeliainenko is the same size as I am and he's the greatest in the world. He's the same size as me. When saw him in person, that changed my whole idea of going down to 205.

WCS: Speaking of high school, I read that you didn't start training until you were 21. Did you any sports or compete in anything in school?

PB: I started training when I was 23, actually, so October 1 made six years since I put my first pair of gloves on, threw my very first punch. When was a kid, I was a gymnast. In high school, I was on the bowling team, and didn't do anything through college, and that's it. I've been a Van Damme fanatic and Ninja Turtles [fan], playing Street Fighter the video game non-stop, all day and night.

WCS: So in that six years, the amount of competing you've done is pretty much insane in my opinion. What is your motivation behind your competitive drive?

PB: I mean, I've secretly been a ninja my entire life. I was a ninja every year for Halloween, I was a Street Fighter, Ninjas Turtles fanatic…All I've ever wanted to do was be a hand-to-hand combat-video game-movie character. It’s all I’ve ever wanted to do since I was a kid…Um, just lot of training. I mean, that's what the whole “hype or die” thing is. Either you get hype or you die trying. If you're not giving me 100 percent, then what's the point? I am an extremist. If we're gonna drive fast, I’m gonna drive the fastest. If we're gonna eat a lot, I'm gonna eat the most. If we’re gonna lift something, I'm lifting more than anybody else. That's part of…the reason for the fast growth I’ve made in this sport: I've given 6000 percent. I’ve made every sacrifice possible I've done nothing but commitment to it since day one.

WCS: As far as going into the UFC, so you've only been doing MMA for 6 months. You’ve been doing striking your whole career. There is some money to be made in K-1, but what made you decide to get into MMA?

PB: Well, MMA is the way of the future. If you follow fight sports at all, MMA is taking over… There is money to be made in K-1, but I mean, Duke told me when I first got into town, "Why go eat somewhere else when you can eat at your house?" You know? Why go kick box all over the planet when you can do what you’ve been doing and use it here at home? And I'm a homebody. I like my mom and my brother. I don't like living in other countries non-stop, I like being here in the states.

WCS: What is the most badass ninja move that you've ever pulled off in competition?

PB: I did a front flip and kicked a guy in the head once. It was in practice though, it wasn’t in a fight. In a competition? I kicked the memory out of a guy's head. I've kicked a guy in the head so hard that every time I see him, he introduces himself to me. That was in my earlier career… I would have to say Gary Goodridge, that's my trophy. Gary Goodrige’s right eyebrow was stuck on my left shin after I kicked him in the head. The fight was stopped, he had hole in his head. I looked down, and his eyebrow was on my leg... And that was my most memorable moment.

WCS: Tell me just a little bit more about “hype” and how you discovered that movement.

PB: That's something that my brother and my cousin and I came up with. [We] started on a road trip in 2002, 2003... We drove from New Orleans to New York to San Francisco, back to Michigan. We drove around the country for a month. In a car, on the road for a long time, you start thinking about all types of different things...and we’ve had a lot of different thoughts about our lives and the way things have gone and what caused certain things to happen, and that's all it was: we had a revelation. We unplugged ourselves from the “matrix” on the road. We just unplugged ourselves and realized that, you know what? It doesn't matter what you do, if you give it everything you’ve got, 10,000 percent, you're gonna be great at it. I made more money delivering pizza than I did kickboxing, and I only worked two days a week, and I went to work every day amped up with the thought in mind that “I'm gonna make a million dollars doing this“… As human beings, we’re supernatural. We just don’t know it. We're superhuman. We can do anything if we just put everything into it, and I've given everything to this sport. And that's what “hype or die” is. Either you get hype, or you just die, man. You either give me everything you've got, or just take your gloves off and get outta my face.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Even more...

Speaking of 'hype', these interview were for UFC 92...
    Barry looks to make 'mega-ridiculous statement' in debut
    Dec. 27, 2008
    By Cory Brady
    FiveOuncesOfPain.com/CBSSports.com

Hidden towards the bottom of one of the most stacked mixed martial arts cards to date, Pat "Get Hype" Barry will be looking to make more than just a little statement in his UFC debut to separate himself from the crowd and force the heavyweight division to take notice. Barry knows what a huge opportunity he will have when he faces off with 10-3 Norwegian striker Dan Evensen, and he hopes to take full advantage of it.

There will be a limited number of ways to shine brightly on a card packed with stars this Saturday night at UFC 92. One of them would be with a highlight reel knockout, something Barry freely confesses he will be aiming for when he steps into the octagon for the very first time.

Entering the UFC, Barry will secure his spot as one of the heavyweight division's most decorated and dangerous strikers. The New Orleans based fighter was a two-time U.S. Open San Shou champion before he ended up moving to Holland to train full time with four-time K-1 champion Ernesto Hoost in Amsterdam. After making his own successful career in K-1 and competing for a short time in Chuck Norris' World Combat League, Barry decided that it was time to transition his kickboxing to work for him in the more complete fighting world of mixed martial arts. The 29-year-old heavyweight hooked up with Duke Roufus and UFC veteran Eric Schafer, making the crossover in May of 2008 and he hasn't looked back since.

Upon venturing into MMA, Barry has looked nothing short of spectacular. In just three months this year the 5-foot-11, 230-pound powerhouse reeled off three wins with all three victories coming by way of knockout. Now less than a year into his MMA career he is looking at a four-fight contract with the UFC and the opportunity of a lifetime. An opportunity, he told FiveOuncesOfPain.com in an exclusive interview, he would be sure to take full advantage of.

With lightning in his fists and some of the most brutal kicks ever seen in mixed martial arts, Pat Barry will be a name that many will be sure to be talking about this coming Sunday morning.

Cory Brady: So where did you grow up and what was your childhood like?

Pat Barry: My parents used to open bilingual elementary schools around the world. I was born in New Orleans but I was raised in Bogota, Colombia, until I was six. My parents had opened a school in Ecuador and they opened a school in Bogota and I stayed there until my father got sick with cancer and we moved back to the states before he passed away. After my dad passed away, it was myself, my younger brother, my older sister and my mom and we ended up staying in New Orleans up until now.

CB: So how did you end up hooking up with Ernesto Hoost?

PB: I was asked if I wanted to train some kickboxing in Amsterdam at Ernesto's gym by a friend of mine that was in the U.N. He said he would sponsor me if I went out there to train so I went and I guess I did pretty good. I must have put on a pretty good showing because they eventually asked me to go in the back room to train with the superstar guys. Guys like Jerell Venetian and Gilbert Yvel were back there. It was the special training. When I started training there I would just pick Ernesto's brains and just ask him a million questions. I would just never leave him alone until he eventually just agreed to be my friend. We got cool, we got really close. The more we got to know each other he saw that I had a lot of ability and liked my personality and eventually he asked me to train with him full time.

CB: You were already a pretty accomplished kickboxer by the time you went to train with Ernesto. What are some of the most valuable lessons you took away from training with him?

PB: One of the most important lessons I learned from training with Ernesto is that you can't knock everybody out. All of my fights had been ending by knockout left and right. I know that was one of my first rude awakenings was having a sparring session with him that went past one or two rounds. He was the one that showed me that you have to be able to go the distance and that you need to have more than just the "knock-the-guy-out" plan. Ernesto just knows everything about kickboxing. He's been in the game for years and he's done it all. I had to learn that there's more to the game other than punching and kicking. There's an emotional side that is attached to it as well. In order to be the best of the best there are a lot of sacrifices and a lot of dedication that goes into it. It's not just going to practice and that's it.

CB: I heard that you first started training professionally for kickboxing at the age of 21. What caused you to decide to start training kickboxing while you were a student at LSU?

PB: I was 23 when I threw my first punch and a year into training is when I started fighting professionally. Ever since I was a kid all I've wanted to do was be a ninja. I was a ninja every Halloween and I used to collect swords and ninja stars growing up. I would play Street Fighter video games, watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and I was an absolute Jean Claude Van Damme fanatic. When I started kickboxing it was just a hobby for some exercise. The more I did it, the more I liked it and the more I liked it, the more I loved it. Then one day I accidentally knocked out the wrong guy and realized that I was really good at it.

CB: So you took part in the 2004 K-1 tryouts in Las Vegas. What was that like?

PB: My brother, my cousin and I got in a car and drove from New Orleans all the way to Las Vegas. We got to Las Vegas at like two minutes to twelve and twelve o'clock was the last tryout session. I jumped out of the car on the strip and ran all the way up the Bellagio parking lot which is like a mile while I was barefoot, in my kickboxing shorts. I had never been to Vegas before so I had no idea where I was and I was running through all kinds of people. I was running over people left and right and just ran into the lobby screaming "Wait! Wait!" Luckily, the people that knew what was going on pointed me in the right direction and I got in there at the last second. I ended up with the last tryout slot. I went in there and just outshined everybody. When it came to the personality, the boxing, the defense and the sparring, I outdid everybody by far.

CB: What kind of different tests would they put you through?

PB: First they check your appearance and then they check your flexibility. Then they check your conditioning by having you run back and forth and all sorts of stuff like that. They want to check your boxing out where they have specific people hold the pads for you. They want to check your kicks and then they check your punch-kick combinations. Then they would have us spar. You're supposed to spar like seven guys and I sparred two and they told me not to worry about it. I kicked the first guy in the leg once and he didn't want to do it anymore. He was like 6-5 and 300 pounds. The second guy, I punched him in the head once with a left hook and he just collapsed on the ground. That's how I ended up getting my initial K-1 fight with Scott Lighty.

CB: What caused the switch from kickboxing to mixed martial arts?

PB: It's just the way that fight sports are evolving nowadays. I'm not saying that kickboxing is dying, but MMA is just taking over the world at such a fast rate. If you want to call yourself a fighter then you have to be ready for any type of battle on any different terrain at any given time. I just think that mixed martial arts is the ultimate collaboration of all of the different martial arts styles. MMA is just really taking over. It's everywhere now, everywhere you look. You can't even go anywhere without seeing Chuck Liddell. It's on the movies, the TV, the radio, the billboards, the commercials, it's everywhere. You don't see anything about kickboxing outside of MMA in the states.

CB: Are there any plans to return to kickboxing anytime soon?

PB: I'm pursuing MMA to the fullest. I'm not against kickboxing. I'm not going to turn it down if an opportunity comes around but that's just not where my main focus is. I'll still be a kickboxer. I'm just going to do it in the cage.

CB: So are you going to be looking to come out with a bang in your UFC debut?

PB: I just want to make a mega-ridiculous statement in my very first fight. I want to let everyone know that I have arrived from the very first fight. People say that there are no elite level strikers in UFC's heavyweight division. Guys just aren't going for it anymore. A fight is a show and we have to keep the crowd happy. From what I see a lot of guys are neglecting their striking nowadays. Everybody has been focusing on their wrestling and jiu-jitsu. Which is awesome, I've actually been focusing on my wrestling and my jiu-jitsu more than my striking for this fight coming up, but people have been neglecting their striking a lot. Like I said, it's a show for the fans and we have to keep the fans happy.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

continued...

...from previous post
    CB: How do you feel you matchup with Dan Evensen?

PB: Dan Evensen poses a few problems for me because he's taller, he's heavier than me and he's way more experienced than I am. I think that one of my advantages is that, because of my height and my weight I can be underestimated. I'm 5-11 and I weigh 230 pounds. Also, people underestimate me because they see my nice demeanor and that I'm just a real calm and relaxed guy so I think I have an advantage because I'm unknown.

CB: He seems like he likes to stand up in most of his fights. Do you expect him to stand and trade with you?

PB: They say he's a striker and I say that everybody's a striker until they get hit by a real striker and then they turn into wrestlers really fast.

CB: So have you been focusing a lot on your takedown defense?

PB: Yeah, I've been focusing on a lot of takedown defense. I think he's going to want to stand with me until I either hit him or throw something that misses him and it scares the [expletive] out of him. The majority of my training has been takedown defense and being able to get back to my feet.

CB: How do you see this fight unfolding?

PB: I keep envisioning the knockout of the night when I go to sleep at night. Like an awful career-ending knockout.

CB: Where have you been training to get ready for Evensen?

PB: At Duke Roufus Academy in Milwaukee. Duke Roufus is my main coach and Eric Schafer is my jiu-jitsu coach.

CB: Do you see anyone in the UFC's heavyweight division that could give you any problems standing right now?

PB: Antoni Hardonk is the only person that comes to mind. Antoni is by far the best striker in the UFC's heavyweight division.

CB: Obviously your stand up is of the highest caliber so the question is, how's the ground game been coming along?

PB: It has really come a long way. I'm kind of a mutant when it comes to picking up on things. I think it's come really far for only having five months of any kind of ground training. I asked Eric where I stood right now and he said that I was comfortable on the ground with blue belts. So I'm getting stronger on the ground, my conditioning is getting better and I was told my instincts are really coming along.

CB: Anyone you'd really love to test yourself against in the UFC or just whoever they put you up against?

PB: You know everyone always says that they'll fight anyone but that's not really me. I want to be the best in the world so in order to be the best, you have to beat whoever the best is at that time whenever you get the opportunity. I'll be honest with you, Brock Lesnar is probably the scariest man that I have ever seen.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

thanks for posting this update, gene. i experienced a taste of patrick's power in 2004 when shawn liu had him spar lightly with us during a san shou practice. he was also training at the kickboxing gym that the kung fu school was renting space from for a while, and I'd often see him hitting the bags thinking how much it would suck to receive one of his kicks. He has worked very hard over the years, traveling all over the US, Europe and Asia to train, and it's great to see that he's achieving his dream.

Guillotined

I didn't even realize he was on this card...
    UFC 98: Pat Barry messed up, and Tim Hague is just fine with that

This one didn't make much sense to me.

Pat Barry absolutely rocked Tim Hague with a vicious right head kick early in the first round and a few follow-up punches in their heavyweight bout at UFC 98.

Then, Barry was taken down by a bloodied Hague and gave up his back. Not the smartest move when the ground game isn't your strongest. Hague (10-1) rolled into a guillotine and forced Barry to tap 1:42 into the bout.

So much for UFC debuts being an instant bet-against, huh?

"You can turn my face into mashed potatoes and I'm still going to keep coming," Hague said. "Pat's a tough guy. He hit me with a straight left. Busted my nose, I think. It's all good. I'm ready to drink some beers."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

You beat me to it Gene

That fight was shown after the main event. Kinda weird in UFC PPV matches, they show fights AFTER the main event. I think they are the fights that go on prior to the televised matches.

Pat Barry looked awesome but made a huge mistake. He should have kept striking the guy. If I remember it correctly Pat took Tim down, which was not a good move.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung Apprentice View Post
    That fight was shown after the main event. Kinda weird in UFC PPV matches, they show fights AFTER the main event. I think they are the fights that go on prior to the televised matches.

Pat Barry looked awesome but made a huge mistake. He should have kept striking the guy. If I remember it correctly Pat took Tim down, which was not a good move.
    They show undercard fights after the main event if the main-card fights don't take up the allotted PPV time. They don't know until the end of the main card whether there'll be time to show any undercard fights. They do this because the UFC has run out of time before the end of their main event on two occassions and its a big financial and PR disaster when that happens.

Barry gave that fight away. He needs some ground skills.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Barry gets another shot vs Antoni Hardonk in UFC 104:

http://www.mmaunltd.com/news-detail....nk-ufc-104.htm
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Pat Barry vs his $120,000 paycheck

http://middleeasy.com/index.php?opti...id=36:fighters

It wasn't until Tuesday when I got back home that I got a knock on the door, a special delivery for me. I opened it up and when I saw it, I was like, 'What the...' They weren't joking man they seriously sent me a check for $120,000. I wrote to Joe Silva and said if this was an April Fool's joke, let me know because I'm about to jump up and down and take off my clothes and run around the street naked. They said it was real man, it was real.

I walk outside to get my car and my car doesn't start so I've got on a t-shirt and I've got some pink stripy shorts on, some flip-flops and a black eye. So I've got to stand in the street and flag people down, and I'm sweating...I've got to flag people down with a black eye and sweat marks to try to get me a jump.

I finally get this guy and I say 'Yo man, I have a $120,000 in my pocket...can you give me a jump?'. Hey was like 'Yeah man I'll give you a jump'. It looked like 'Hey man can you help me jump start this car I'm trying to steal right now'. I go to the bank, I'm sweaty, I've got the black eye, I haven't shaven in two days, I'm strung out because I haven't slept, I have green circles under my eyes so I'm like 'Can I have a deposit slip mam?'. She gives it to me, I fill it out hand it to her. She looks at the deposit slip, then the check, then looks at me and says 'Excuse me I'll be right back'. Then a manager comes out, a guy in a suit and says 'What seems to be the problem?'. I was like 'Well I have a black eye, that's the only problem I know this looks really ridiculous'. So he asks me for my ID, I hand him my license an he's like 'Your license says Pat Barry, but this check was written to Patrick Barry'. So I decided to be funny and tell him Pat Barry is in my trunk right now. He didnt laugh. So I told him take your time man do whatever you need to do because I have no where to go and my truck probably wont start when I go outside so you can just do whatever you need to do. An hour later he came back and everything was fine, the check was in my bank account.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Pat berry... saw some of his fights on youtube... he has some really mean leg kicks.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

now...this just isnt possible. he studied at LIU International, thats cma influenced kungfu. he doesnt do mma its not humanly possible. i mean, he won a silver medal in china competing in a kungfu championship.....

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

That's awesome!

Patrick is a great stand-up fighter. Does he have a ground game now? We discussed Barry earlier. I did an article on him back in our 2009 May/June issue: Sanshou in UFC: Patrick Barry Steps into the Octagon.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips