Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Patrick Barry

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Patrick is a great stand-up fighter. Does he have a ground game now? We discussed Barry earlier. I did an article on him back in our 2009 May/June issue: Sanshou in UFC: Patrick Barry Steps into the Octagon.
    No, his ground game sucks. But he's working on it. I think he got KO of the night in the last UFC.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Ko of the night and fight of the night, hence 120k after bonuses. I love seeing someone come from nothing work hard and earn big. He inspired the hell out of some of my fighters.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    he doesnt do mma its not humanly possible
    pretty sure he probably is now.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Not to hijack the thread but...wow, did you see Chris Cyborg's dragon?

...carry on
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    pretty sure he probably is now.
    i was joking round. you know all the people who constantly say (despite evidence to the contrary) that no one has ever been able to effectively use cma influenced ma in mma. i was being silly....

Last edited by Lucas; 11-03-2009 at 10:49 AM.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

that's amazing, good for him.. did anyone advise him to pay taxes?

Pat Barry Serves People

He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    lol those are awesome
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Pat Barry does some Kung Fu

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Good stuff, he has the real shaolin !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

yay for kungfu in ufc!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Update on Barry

Barry is slated to fight in UFC LIVE 6: Cruz vs. Johnson in Washington, DC at the Verizon Center on Oct 1, 2011. He faces Stefan "Skyscraper" Struve (24-5-0).

Main Card
    Cruz vs Johnson
    Barry vs Struve
    Johnson vs Brenneman
    Wiman vs Danzig

Prelims
    Edwards vs Oliveira
    Johnson vs Sass
    Easton vs Hougland
    Maldonado vs Rosa
    Roller vs Grant
    Neer vs Wisniewski
    Watson vs Sandoval
    Barry is now 6-3-0 according to his page on UFC.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    if he uses his kicks like i know he can then i think he'll do pretty good. "skyscraper" is tall hence the name hope barry can pull through i know he has the tools for it.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Good luck this weekend, Pat!

I'm always tempted to steal this thread for the Shaolin forum.

Is Patrick Barry the UFC's funniest fighter?
    Patrick Barry's hilarious antics have made him the Ultimate Fighting Championship's clown prince of kickboxing.Photo: Associated Press
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - Behind the Links of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) by Mark Hensch

WASHINGTON, September 28, 2011 – Patrick Barry is a seasoned mixed martial artist who's battled in the Ultimate Fighting Championship since 2008.

You'd be forgiven for forgetting that fact watching him train this morning at Alexandria's Warrior's Gym. Saturday, Barry clashes with Stefan Struve, the UFC's tallest fighter at 6 feet 11 inches, when "UFC on Versus 6" goes down at D.C.'s Verizon Center. How did Barry prepare for his towering opponent? The New Orleans heavyweight had his sparring partner raise his punching pads so high that Barry leapt to reach them with his jabs.

It was a brief burst of comedy before a more legitimate workout. It also doesn't mean the professional pugilist doesn't take his opponents seriously – he just enjoys looking on the bright side before a brawl.

"You've got to keep it light," Barry said. "I don't have to hate your guts or want to kill you to fight you. I like being comfortable with the people I fight. If you can't laugh at yourself, you can't laugh at anything."

This philosophy has produced some of the most comical psychological warfare in recent mixed martial arts (MMA) contests. Barry drew first blood with an Aug. 8 "training video" on YouTube that showed him preparing for Struve by mounting a mannequin on a table and spring-boarding fist first into its head. Struve – apparently lighthearted himself – responded by posting a clip in which he punts a Barry action figure.

"We're all friends," Barry said of his UFC peers. "The closer you get to the top of the mountain, the smaller the amount of space is up there. We're all eventually going to run into each other."

Antics aside, Barry's fighting is no joke. When he's not splitting sides with pranks outside the ring, he's splitting them with devastating kicks. During his 2008 UFC debut against Dan Evensen, for example, one of Barry's low kicks collapsed Evensen's knee.

Barry credits such raw power as a product of his time practicing kung fu and kickboxing before joining the UFC. His kung fu days were particularly formative, he said, given they allowed him to visit China's legendary Shaolin Temple, renowned worldwide for its martial artists.

"The Shaolin Temple's not like you'd think," he said. "The guys there are actual wizards and magicians and they're powerful beyond belief. They have a mental ability that I've never seen before in my life."

The time Barry spent in China honed his skills so that when he became a professional kickboxer in 2004, it didn't take him long to dominate his weight class. He soon turned to the UFC, he said, given that mixing martial arts seemed like the next step for challenging himself. He's since amassed a 6-3 record in the octagon, letting his savage striking prove he's a serious threat once the bell rings.

"MMA is taking over the world and so that's what I evolved to," he said. "If you want to be the greatest warrior of all time, you have to be able to fight any type of fighter in any type of terrain at all times. MMA is everything but actual swords."

Barry believes proof of that fact can be found in his upcoming match with Struve. Barry stands 5 feet 10 inches, over a foot beneath Struve. This height disparity means that he'll have longer to reach than Struve before landing a strike. So his battle plan is hitting Struve with close combat.
    Stefan Struve (right, Photo: Mark Hensch)

Stefan Struve (right, Photo: Mark Hensch)

"I'm so short Struve can wrap his snake arms around me and I won't even know it," Barry said. "I'll get extremely close and bang him out."

Struve's versatility may make this strategy dangerous. Though the Dutchman has a kickboxing background like Barry, he also has experience seeking submission holds.

"I'm very comfortable on the ground," Struve said. "Every single time Barry comes at me he should be thinking in the back of his mind that I'm going to take him down and employ my will there."

Barry would rather see if his American kickboxing can go toe-to-toe with the infamous Dutch brand. They'll find out who can still stand when the two trade crippling leg strikes this Saturday.

"I'm 'Star Wars' when the jets wrap cables around those big walker things and trip them up right now," Barry said. "I'm going to run up Struve's leg like a roach. It's going to be a kickboxing spectacle."

Barry said he strives for such outrageous performances regardless of opponent – Struve's merely loftier than most. His nickname – "HD," short for "Hype or Die," – represents his desire to win renown through talent. At day's end, Barry would rather die than miss out on hype he could potentially earn.

"Whether you're a seamstress, a ballet teacher, or a bus driver, if you do it with everything you've got, you'll be the best at it," he said. "Little guys can do big things.”

"UFC on Versus 6" will start 5:30 p.m. Saturday at the Verizon Center. Tickets are available through Ticketmaster.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More on Barry

Popular Barry is the UFC’s everyman
    By Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports Sep 28, 7:20 pm EDT

One look at Pat Barry is all that’s needed to realize he made a good career choice. He’s a guy built to inflict, and withstand, punishment.

He’s a fighter, though he says that in his 32 years he’s never been in a street fight.

“Not once, not even at recess in kindergarten,” he says, chuckling.

Barry has made it to the UFC and is good enough at it that Saturday he’ll be in the co-main event of UFC Live 6 at the Verizon Center in Washington, D.C., when he takes on his old kickboxing rival, Stefan Struve.

Listen to Barry talk for a few minutes, though, and it’s hard to realize that although fighting was a good choice for him, it might not have been the best choice. He’d have been perfect as a Marine Corps recruiter. As a boot camp instructor, he’d have the plebes running through the walls, not over them.

If he ever becomes a salesman, leave the wallet at home or he’ll have you buying something you never knew you wanted but suddenly realized you had to have.

Search the Internet for a picture of Barry and chances are good that three of every four will depict him beaming widely. He’s friendly and funny and the life of the party and you can easily forget he’s is a cage fighter.

Perception, he points out, is much different than reality. Take his current job. He knows what people think.

“This looks like a really brutal sport,” he said of mixed martial arts. “We look like a bunch of meat-headed, musclebound, angry heathens who are going around causing ruckus and pain and destruction.”

Being a fighter in the UFC, though, is not what people think, he says. MMA fighters are probably the best-conditioned athletes in the world. The guys who make it to the UFC are the elite of the elite.

Even the elite of the elite, though, have fears and concerns. Barry concedes he rarely sleeps the week of a fight and is an emotional wreck. It’s not until after a fight that he can explain why he willingly puts himself into a situation where he’ll get kicked or punched in the head.

“Yes, of course I [get scared],” he said. “Personally, maybe I’m just not a man, but personally, I can’t sleep for a week the week of the fight. I’ll be honest with you. I think this goes for most, but not all, but it goes for most of us, where we wake up every day and we ask ourselves, ‘Man, I can read. Why am I doing this? What is the point of doing this? I don’t get it. I don’t know why I am doing this. This is stupid. This hurts. Why am I subjecting myself to something like this?’ None of us can answer the question at the end of the day. None of us can answer that question before the fight.

“As soon as the fight is over, we can all give you a book. We can recite to you a complete poem on why we do this. It’s beauty. It’s just a different type of art. There’s something about this sport that takes a particular type of individual and brings something out in them that we didn’t know was there. This isn’t for everybody. This will change your life. If you do this, this will change your life. There’s nothing, no jumping out of a plane or swimming in a volcano, no near-death experience with a car accident that is nothing like this. This takes something else. It doesn’t just take concentration and preparation. This takes something special in order to be able to do this. This is why we do it: That one feeling. That one rush.”

He jokes that UFC president Dana White was crazy putting him against Struve, whom he calls “this 7-foot tall monster who wants to dislodge my head from shoulders.”

Struve is 6 feet 11 inches, exactly a foot taller than Barry. They’ve had plenty of fun with each other on their Twitter feeds, making light of the height difference.

In one Tweet to Barry on Wednesday, Struve wrote, “did you bump on my door last night? I looked through the hole but didn’t see anybody. … Now finally pops up in my head it was you?”

Barry tweeted to Struve, “I WAS LOOKING FOR U LAST NIGHT COUSIN!!! FRONT DESK LADY SAID SHE SAW YOUR FACE COMING UP ESCALATOR, 8 MIN LATER YOUR FEET!!”

That’s typical Barry. He’s the guy who dives in the snow in his underwear just to get some laughs. He’s the guy who poses as singer Janet Jackson to amuse his training partners.

He doesn’t get serious too often, he says, except when they close the cage door and it’s fight time. He said he can’t understand fighters who carry a chip on their shoulders and seem perpetually angry. His outlook on life, he said, is to have fun. He noted that fighters like the Diaz brothers, Nick and Nate, almost always seem to wear an angry scowl.

It isn’t, he said, who he is and he doesn’t believe that persona represents the vast majority of MMA fighters.

“With them, if you think about them, and the way they are all the time, hey, you can’t be angry all day every day,” he said. “You can’t be [angry] every day. You have a bad day, but is your whole life a bad day? You’re always in a bad mood? You’re always just sucker-punching people? You’re always angry? Maybe that’s just a product of our upbringing. I personally didn’t grow up in a rough household, and I’m not saying that’s what happened with them. I grew up a pretty happy kid. That doesn’t change now all of a sudden because of what I’m doing.

“People really have a wrong perception of what we do. This is full-contact chess. We have a lot of guys in here who are actually professionals outside of the fight world.”

He said that while MMA may have been promoted as a bloodthirsty spectacle in its early days, the reality now is that it is as much about the mental side of things as the physical side.

He tries to promote MMA as the combat sport for anybody, as if a 300-pound couch potato could run down to the gym and start working on high kicks.

It seems implausible until Barry starts speaking in his rapid-fire, staccato manner. Then, he makes it sound perfectly normal and gets you itching to get out to jiu-jitsu practice.

“In the beginning for a fight sport, we had just boxing, then all of a sudden came along Ultimate Fighting,” Barry said. “We’ve got a bunch of caged fighting bare-knuckle, no-rules guys who are going to hit each other until one of us dies. You know, that’s how it was portrayed to the people: We’re a bunch of caged animals. That’s what it is: We’re putting these guys in a cage and that’s what it is, like two dogs fighting. But it was the wrong perception and the wrong persona. And that type of sport attracts a certain type of athlete which in turn attracts a certain type of crowd. But, just like everything else, it evolved. As time goes on, the sport changes.

“Now, we find out that this just isn’t for bloodthirsty meatheads who just want to eat raw meat and drink fresh baby’s blood all day. It’s not about that any more. Anybody can do this. This is for anybody. It gets opened up to the public. The more the public gets to know about it, the more knowledge that gets out there, everyday people get to find out, ‘You know what? We can all do this. This just isn’t for tough guys any more.’ This is for tough guys, nerds, fat kids, losers, cool people, the golf kids, jocks, the athletes, teachers, the geniuses, the dummies. This is for everybody from all walks of life. Anybody can do this.”

Maybe anybody can do it, but I doubt it. Few can do it as well and with the passion, intensity and love that Pat Barry brings every day to MMA.

“Let’s be serious: Who wouldn’t want to do this for a living?” Barry said. “To me, this is a dream job. Sometimes I question my sanity when I’m sparring with an animal like Brock [Lesnar] or fighting someone like [Mirko] ‘Cro Cop’ [Filipovic], but you know what? I’m doing what I want and I’m doing what I love and nothing can be better than that in life. Nothing.”
    I've hung out with Barry and he is a pretty funny guy. He's very charismatic.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips