Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun defense against powerful hooks.

I'm not trying to make any enemies on here but I started what I know to work off a powerful hook that might throw one off ballance or break ones structure with WCK principles I don't think a trained boxer would put so much into one punch.
    Under the right circumstances...

Jab hooks and all these what ifs are a series of different questions in my opinion and some of the best ways to figure these out are by yes sparring boxers
    End of thread.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Makes no sense to me to extend out and block the inside upper arm/shoulder area. Assuming you can read the punch and extend out, you'd be better off to go directly to the face. You'll stop the hook and do damage at the same time... as well as disrupt the follow ups that would be coming after the hook if you simply stop it.
    sounds like lucky fighting to me - Quickest/fastest wins. Might work, if you are a lot faster. But you're suggesting not even even attempting to stop the punch - what if he's faster? you get hit.. sounds dumb to me

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    sounds like lucky fighting to me - Quickest/fastest wins. Might work, if you are a lot faster. But you're suggesting not even even attempting to stop the punch - what if he's faster? you get hit.. sounds dumb to me
    If you can do what was shown in the vid and get to his shoulder, you can hit to the face.

Why do you hit that area instead of the face?
    You can also hit to the neck, throat, solar plexus, etc. I'd just come from a party that night and didn't want to take a chance on hitting Rahsun in the face.
    The target wasn't important as showing how to interrupt the round punch. It was just a demo against a predetermined punch. Now if the question had been about dealing with combos like jab hook, uppercut hook, jab cross or whatever the video would have covered those apps.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Makes no sense to me to extend out and block the inside upper arm/shoulder area. Assuming you can read the punch and extend out, you'd be better off to go directly to the face. You'll stop the hook and do damage at the same time... as well as disrupt the follow ups that would be coming after the hook if you simply stop it.
    It wasn't the upper arm shoulder area. That would get me hit for sure. Looks like I'll have to make a clip explaining all the details.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

If you can do what was shown in the vid and get to his shoulder, you can hit to the face.
    I think Dale is correct here. But, that's just my opinion.

Bill
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
    I think Dale is correct here. But, that's just my opinion.

Bill
    Dale is very correct. You can hit to the face as well as other targets.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

IMO I would imagine lots of VT practitioners have this in mind given that its one of the main reasons VT relies on the use of the stright punch so much...

Every opponent is different though and IME ive had to figure out the right times to use each.

Some sparring partners have the ability to tourque more than my Fut Sao can handle. (Fut from CK before Tok Sau is one of my prefered habit actions, i find it solid and easy to trans to an elbow from there) and also some of them can hook around my Fut even when i use proper turning/angling...Thier stepping can nuetralise my turn..
    Generally speaking though even my falied action has removed the KO power and you only recieve a sting...so mission accomplished in my mind, survive.

Sometimes you can get it so right but the other guy just does it better...thats fightin.

Others i have no problem using Fut or Bui Sau, but it only takes a little ding to the temple to realise which one is best to use LOL.

DREW
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    I would like to know what your preferences are as far as using WING CHUN techniques against powerful hooks that are strong enough to break your structure if you are unsuccessful.

Furthermore, I have seen comments in the past here in the forum about using bong with wu sao( double handed) against hooks. Who amongst you prefers to use this technique and why?
    Trying to block a real hook swinging very fast at you can be very difficult, remember Boxers will throw a hook at you and then usually follow it up with either a jab or uppercut. A Wing Chun person first has to practice against those types of attacks in order to feel some what comfortable in using his wing chun on the street. Using wing chun against someone who can launch those types of attacks at you can be done but with the right type of techniques and with lots of consant drilling. some of the best teachers to learn from to help you with defending against hooks,uppercuts,jabs..etc are Allan Lee, Duncan Leung and Robert Chu. but that is just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Liddel View Post
    IMO I would imagine lots of VT practitioners have this in mind given that its one of the main reasons VT relies on the use of the stright punch so much...

Every opponent is different though and IME ive had to figure out the right times to use each.

Some sparring partners have the ability to tourque more than my Fut Sao can handle. (Fut from CK before Tok Sau is one of my prefered habit actions, i find it solid and easy to trans to an elbow from there) and also some of them can hook around my Fut even when i use proper turning/angling...Thier stepping can nuetralise my turn..
    Generally speaking though even my falied action has removed the KO power and you only recieve a sting...so mission accomplished in my mind, survive.

Sometimes you can get it so right but the other guy just does it better...thats fightin.

Others i have no problem using Fut or Bui Sau, but it only takes a little ding to the temple to realise which one is best to use LOL.

DREW
    This Kiwi has his sh*t together. There's a few sayings I remember hearing in the gym. I can't rememver them all but one I keep in mind is; Any good fighter can have his a** handed to him/her on any given day, but I like the phrase "Sometimes you can get it so right but the other guy just does it better...thats fightin" that you wrote. Instead of saying that one method is better than another people should be trying to improve the martial art of their choice . (WC specifically should adhere to that ideal).

PR
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 01-25-2009 at 01:36 AM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Sorry about that. Here's the correct link;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4LMm3hYad0
    This clip was done after coming from Warrington Hudlin's Inauguration party in Tribeca so I left some things out. . I will make a more detailed clip this weekend. Though there might be people who disagree I must say that I do what has saved my a** in real fights and in the ring. Of course I'll change my methods when I find something that works better for me and my students.
    Here's a little more from today's class in Chinatown to add to the mix.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLFWd...e=channel_page
    I'm available at 3747 Church Road in Mount Laurel, NJ week nights and at 77 Mulberry St. in NYC Chinatown from 3:30pm to 4:30pm every Saturday if anyone would like to watch and ask questions, attend a class, or just visit for Dim Sum in one of the really nice restaurants in New York's Chinatown please feel free to drop by. Sometimes it's better to see things done in person.
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 01-25-2009 at 08:18 AM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

great explanation

that was great phil, i've never had anyone explain the central line theory that good before,interesting!
    sincerly, eddie

Quote Originally Posted by deejaye72 View Post
    that was great phil, i've never had anyone explain the central line theory that good before,interesting!
    Thx, I'll be putting more clips here;
    http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/wckcg/ In this group people have to post clips of them doing WC. I find it keeps the people who criticize others but don't post clips of themselves for critique away.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by SiFu108 View Post
    Trying to block a real hook swinging very fast at you can be very difficult, remember Boxers will throw a hook at you and then usually follow it up with either a jab or uppercut. A Wing Chun person first has to practice against those types of attacks in order to feel some what comfortable in using his wing chun on the street. Using wing chun against someone who can launch those types of attacks at you can be done but with the right type of techniques and with lots of consant drilling. some of the best teachers to learn from to help you with defending against hooks,uppercuts,jabs..etc are Allan Lee, Duncan Leung and Robert Chu. but that is just my opinion.
    Thanks SiFu108,

Are there any specific Wing Chun techniques that you personally find effective against a powerful hook?

Quote Originally Posted by SiFu108 View Post
    Having studied with Duncan Leung and Allan Lee I'm going to add Sifu William Cheung to that mix. SiFu108, where in New Jersey are you. Our school is in Mt. Laurel, NJ and I have a Sat. class in NY Chinatown. You're welcome to stop by.
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 01-25-2009 at 04:58 PM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr