Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MA after 50

Its not the age of the car, its the mileage on the engine.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

That was good. And how carefully it was broken in.

Quote Originally Posted by AJM View Post
    That was good. And how carefully it was broken in.
    And oil changes, don't forget the lube jobs.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I'm 55 and I have been doing BJJ for about 15 months and I did some wing chun before that.

I got started in MA because when I was 52 I was fat, out of shape and diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I was put on 3 different pills to control it.

I have lost over 60 lbs, got back into weight lifting and love rolling. I control my diabetes with diet and exercise and can hold my own when rolling at class.

The main thing I notice is I have to give myself time to recover. I go to class twice a week and workout on my own the other days. I tried going more often but the small nagging injuries started to crop up and took the fun out of the class.

I used to be the biggest guy in my class (currently 6'1'' and 240) but we now have 3 new students all over 300 lbs. I've only met and rolled with 2 of them so far. One is a kid of 45 and the other is an 18 yo HS football player. I'm ok with my standing grappling with him but if he gets side control I'm doomed.

Too much strength, speed and youth! I can hold my own in strenght but as for the rest....oh well.

The main thing is to enjoy yourself and keep pushing.

As a younger man, I trained for a long time in Yoshinkan aikido. The urgency of everyday life prevented me from continuing: building a career, raising kids, and eventually caring for an aging parent.

I suppose I could have continued training, but not the way I wanted. If I couldn't do it "right", then I would just wait until my life circumstances changed.

My elderly parents passed away, my kids grew and I found I had more time on my hands. I decided not to go back to aikido. I couldn't move the way I used to, and wanted to keep my memories of that special time in my life intact. I also didn't want to train in something where I absolutely required a partner, or special equipment or location (mats).

I settled on Wu Family Style Taijiquan. That was about a year and a half ago, when I wasn't quite 49 yet. I find it intellectually engaging enough to motivate me to continue to practice well into my dotterage.

I feel great. My blood pressure, cholesterol, etc., and the best they've been in many years. My mind is clear and I feel strong.

36 is my big year of self-awareness. I took a 3 year hiatus from pretty much everything to become a Buddhist disciple/monk and that of course meant, I did zero training. I was training with a Shaolin monk before I did this and I was at a cool 183lbs. Coming back after the break I was 232lb. I've been back in training for 7 months roughly and the weight isn't just melting as I expected. I actually have to watch what I put in my mouth and be consistent. My flexibility is finally returning and I'm starting to feel that natural and relaxed readiness again, but if I take a week or 7 day vacation, that goes away quickly if I'm not doing something each day to maintain.

In other words, at 36 I've learned I can't take breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by DeHui702 View Post
    36 is my big year of self-awareness. I took a 3 year hiatus from pretty much everything to become a Buddhist disciple/monk and that of course meant, I did zero training. I was training with a Shaolin monk before I did this and I was at a cool 183lbs. Coming back after the break I was 232lb. I've been back in training for 7 months roughly and the weight isn't just melting as I expected. I actually have to watch what I put in my mouth and be consistent. My flexibility is finally returning and I'm starting to feel that natural and relaxed readiness again, but if I take a week or 7 day vacation, that goes away quickly if I'm not doing something each day to maintain.

In other words, at 36 I've learned I can't take breaks.
    you have to take breaks or what you're building won't have a chance to.

rest is the builder, training is the architect.

you probably need to think about your nutrition by the sounds of it.

important foods that you need to be friends with:

Salmon, Tofu, almonds, pine nuts, spinach, oranges, blueberries, oatmeal. (these are the most nutritional)

stay away from high carbs and absolutely say no to snack foods and fizzy drinks. You don't want any of that inside you whatsoever. no coke, no pepsi, no pop!!!

no processed flour, no processed sugar, no corn syrup based sweetener foods.

eat only whole foods, drink a lot of water, exercise vigorously for at least 1 hour a day 6 days a week. you will lose that weight.

nutrition is super important though. it's also the most difficult part of the equation to get on board with. there is way to much crap on the shelves in the stores these days. frankly, you probably shouldn't eat better than 80% of what's in your average store if you are serious about your health and condition.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Salmon, Tofu, almonds, pine nuts, spinach, oranges, blueberries, oatmeal. (these are the most nutritional)

stay away from high carbs and absolutely say no to snack foods and fizzy drinks. You don't want any of that inside you whatsoever. no coke, no pepsi, no pop!!!

no processed flour, no processed sugar, no corn syrup based sweetener foods.

eat only whole foods, drink a lot of water, exercise vigorously for at least 1 hour a day 6 days a week.
    That sounds a lot like the detox diet I was on a while back (though my diet was even more restrictive; no grain products, sugar, meat, or preservatives/additives at all).

I can verify, you will lose weight eating like that. I was on the diet for other reasons, but within a week I had slimmed down noticeably (wasn't heavy by any stretch before, but had a little extra squish in the stomach). Just as a forewarning, though, I also (and this is, from what I hear, pretty normal for such diets) felt pretty ill for the first few days. After that I felt fine, and had more energy than usual, but those first few days felt rather akin to going through withdrawal symptoms.

Old masters

my respect to all of us that have dedicated our lives to Martail Arts, all styles of Martail Arts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0siR1vgZnYg
    Visit the past in order to discover something new.

[url]http://wahquekungfu.proboards100.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    Super impressive for any age. How old are you?
    61. Not too young and not too old.

Quote Originally Posted by DeHui702 View Post
    Coming back after the break I was 232lb ...at 36.
    I did my 1st Marathon when I was 40 years old. When I stood in front of a mirror, I saw that my body had shrinked so much that I couldn't even recognize myself.

I then tried my 1st triathlon when I was 42 but I failed on my swimming speed (I can't use my free style to finish the whole 2.4 miles and my frog style was not fast enough). So if you are just 36, you should have nothing to worry about.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-01-2009 at 05:34 PM.

Old Ones

I am 71- I started Jiu Jitsu ( 1955) at age 17 for 3 years with Sensei Don Anger- then Kung Fu (1958) for 28 yeas with Sifu Ark Wong. ( Southern California).

Tell me cranky old man whats you background ? Its unusual for us old KF guys to come out and talk. Your 74 and I'm 71 you think we might be the last of a dying breed ?
    Visit the past in order to discover something new.

[url]http://wahquekungfu.proboards100.com

I'll be 41 this year. I gotta say, there is a bit of irony in my martial arts career.

As a guy in his late teens and early 20's I was all about fighting. Loved the sparring class. Competed in Sanda quite a bit, although I was only average at it. I always laughed at the guys doing forms. Referred to them as forms dancers, especially the contemporary wushu guys.

After taking a 12 yrs hiatus from MA and returning to it 2 yrs ago. I can now appreciate forms and see how it can help you in your fighting. I can now appreciate how a proper stance can increase your hitting power. I appreciate learning the applications wthin the forms.

Now my competing involveds mostly forms. I have become a forms dancers. All traditional forms mind you. Can't do that contemporay stuff anymore. I still spar in class, and in some competitions.

Also found that I am a better coach these days. I don't get frustrated as much when a student doesn't get it.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

recommendations for tendonitis?

Now here's a thread dear to my 51-year-old heart.

Anyway, my doctor tells me that I've got tendonitis in my right leg ( which is doctor-talk for "it hurts to jump around on my right leg" ). If I stretch, then do some lunges across the floor, it alleviates the discomfort somewhat, but afterwards it stiffens up. Can anyone recommend a way to get past this?

Quote Originally Posted by SIFU RON View Post
    my respect to all of us that have dedicated our lives to Martail Arts, all styles of Martail Arts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0siR1vgZnYg
    That's Awesome!
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Quote Originally Posted by SIFU RON View Post
    I am 71- I started Jiu Jitsu ( 1955) at age 17 for 3 years with Sensei Don Anger- then Kung Fu (1958) for 28 yeas with Sifu Ark Wong. ( Southern California).

Tell me cranky old man whats you background ? Its unusual for us old KF guys to come out and talk. Your 74 and I'm 71 you think we might be the last of a dying breed ?
    You guys are inspiration! I'm 50.5 and still practicing everyday as little or as much as I feel like and teach about 5 days per week. I have 5 sons and they are in various stages of being active or "screw you dad I don't have to practice anymore"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gifGjY7IEbo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b5t7tAPEKM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMv3O9_rvMg

I've heard kung fu is really good for the legs as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IhV3SrP10g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFLqrb14uQI
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up