Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Injured!! Can't train

Injured!! Can't train

Last Thrs. I had Hernia surgery, I'm side lined for a While. was woundering what injuries have you had that prevented you from training.
    "All the skill in the world won't hold up to a real confrontation if you are too afraid to use it."

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    i had two hernias in 1985...one operated on in may, one in oct...effed me up for training for over 6 months...went from 185 to 200 for the first time in my life...oh, and case you are tempted...sex of any sort is contraindicated until cleared by the doc...learned that one the...um, hard way

broken leg in 1998...kept me out for about 6-8 weeks or so then i started back in w/ stance training and slow forms work...

rotator cuff surgery in 2005...nothing at all for 3 months, should have been nothing at all for at least 6 months though.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

broken arm in 2003
    broken/bruised rib in 2004
    retinal damage in 2005
    broken heart in 2006 (does that count?)
    threw out my back in 2007 (and 2005)
    messed up something in my shoulder in 2008 but didn't take much time off for it

I get sick a lot and end up having to take time off or cut back for that as well.

As I get older, I'm much more attuned to when my body needs some time off and a whole lot less willing to push it to get that next intense day when I'm hurting bad from the day before.
    5~6 days a week might be ideal, but if maintaining that means I have to eventually take significant time off, better to go 3~4 days a week and still be able to work out from week to week.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Few years ago . . .

Sho Dan test. Front snapping toe-gouge kick to solar plexus. Broke the first cartiliginious-connected rib at the very edge of the cartilage, about 3" further down the rib, pulled the rib from the fossa in my vertebrae, pulled the rib from the cartilage, ripped the intercostal muscle, caused a "light" muscle tear from the abdominal insertion on my pelvis (well, right beside my navel), up to a "ripping" sensation behind my right collar bone.

Took 15 months, eight days to heal.

I will be dealing with the back problems brought on by this injury for the remainder of my life.

And I only got Sho Dan ho, not full sho dan. ****ers.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

This whole laying in bed Sh!t is for the birds.
    no sex till doc says. thats ok, I don't think I can take the pain of abdominal constricting from busting right now
    "All the skill in the world won't hold up to a real confrontation if you are too afraid to use it."

PC: yea, broken hearts count...didn't do much for 3 months back in 95 due to a breakup...but, the more of those you have the easier it is to keep training...going through that now but am ramping up training pretty good at the moment.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Fortunately, all of my injuries tend to be minor--jammed fingers and such. Got two subluxated shoulders back when I was in gymnastics, that took me out for several months and my rotator cuffs are still abysmally weak. About the only real injury I've gotten in kung fu was a broken nose; real embarrassing though, as the punch that broke it was a no-root, bad-mechanics hit from a sometime-TKD kid trying some classes at my school. Taught me never to disregard even the cr@ppiest of shots to the face, though.

But recently, I've been out of classes due to the broken heart, myself. Just had to put down my beloved kitty after a month of desperately trying to nurse him back to health.

hernia

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    i had two hernias in 1985...one operated on in may, one in oct...effed me up for training for over 6 months...went from 185 to 200 for the first time in my life...oh, and case you are tempted...sex of any sort is contraindicated until cleared by the doc...learned that one the...um, hard way

broken leg in 1998...kept me out for about 6-8 weeks or so then i started back in w/ stance training and slow forms work...

rotator cuff surgery in 2005...nothing at all for 3 months, should have been nothing at all for at least 6 months though.
    I can sympathize with you there. Hernias limit what you can do at the time and as a result I always need to be aware of how much weight I squat with even now. I was very young when I had my operations but there is always the possibility of aggravating something again.

It didn't affect my training because I didn't start doing martial arts until later on.

About a years and a half ago I got sweeped and my toe got caught up in the mat. Not bad at first but got really painful the next day or so. I had to wear a special shoe with a wooden block in for a bit and I had to lighten up on my training.

It allowed me to take a week off of work though and that's always a good thing in my book. Gotta love those sick days and vacation hours.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

Quote Originally Posted by 冠木侍 View Post
    It allowed me to take a week off of work though and that's always a good thing in my book. Gotta love those sick days and vacation hours.
    There are still people who get sick days and vacation?

(not kidding, either. it's friggin' impossible to get those around here.)

Cracked ribs in 2005
    broken foot in 1985
    Hernia in 1985 ( crapy year )
    Sprained groin in November 2008, have not been able to train since, groin feeling much better but my lower right abs get stabing pain when ever I try to do a sit up, leg lift anything really that involves the lower abs. Doctor checked for a Hernia twice, but dam I am still wondering if I have a hernia, I have another doctor appointment on saturday so will see. I might go to BJJ tonight and give it go, dont think I cannt train hard maybe just techn.
    Last edited by maxattck; 01-15-2009 at 07:27 AM.

wrist (distal radius fracture) 2004, knee (mcl sprain) 2005
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    PC: yea, broken hearts count...didn't do much for 3 months back in 95 due to a breakup...but, the more of those you have the easier it is to keep training...going through that now but am ramping up training pretty good at the moment.
    Now that I'm married i hope I'm not going to have to deal with that kinda pain much more in my lifetime. Never know what's gonna happen in the future and I'm sure there are many more new universes of pain for me to go check out with my time left; but God-willing, I hope that's not going to be one of them.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    Now that I'm married i hope I'm not going to have to deal with that kinda pain much more in my lifetime. Never know what's gonna happen in the future and I'm sure there are many more new universes of pain for me to go check out with my time left; but God-willing, I hope that's not going to be one of them.
    word...good luck...and how did I miss hearing you got hitched??? belated congrats, man!

busted ribs 06, busted ribs 07. both times sucked, the second was much worse, put me out for a while. its tough when it hurts to breath. all my other injuries have been worked around.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    if you break your leg, work your hands. If you break your arm, work your kicks, and stretch and practice footwork drills.
    There is always something.
    Remeber when Bruce Lee was laid up for straining his back doing good mornings,(No, not by a flying sidekick to the spine!)
    He wrote Tao of Jeet Kune Do.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.