Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Injured!! Can't train

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    hey, anyone remember that thread where we listed all our injuries?
    -and someone mentioned that if we hadn't studied MA and just got our a$$es kicked, we probably would've been better off!
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Remeber when Bruce Lee was laid up for straining his back doing good mornings,(No, not by a flying sidekick to the spine!)
    What cause his injury? im not much of a bruce lee guy so that gor me a little curious
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    sometimes 'there i always something'

injuries related to spine and/or core generally prohibit much of any sort of training.

when I broke my leg, i was back in the school 4 days later helping w/ kids class...sitting in a chair beside the line of hanging bags correcting kicks...actually, a pretty funny scene, lol.

I also always recommend to students who are sick or injured to come to class anyways and watch...after being 'in' class for a while it can often be illuminating to watch it from the outside again.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    word...good luck...and how did I miss hearing you got hitched??? belated congrats, man!
    thankya
    I told a lot of people in private, so I guess i didn't think to make a big thread about it.
    Gonna be a dad this summer too.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

sick days for vacation

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Tap View Post
    There are still people who get sick days and vacation?

(not kidding, either. it's friggin' impossible to get those around here.)
    They're not easy to find but rest assured they do exist.
    It wasn't a planned vacation either. Prior to that injury, I had never taken any real time off of work.

I like to save them for rainy days.

Why are they impossible? It just depends on your status of employment in some cases.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

Quote Originally Posted by 冠木侍 View Post
    They're not easy to find but rest assured they do exist.
    It wasn't a planned vacation either. Prior to that injury, I had never taken any real time off of work.

I like to save them for rainy days.

Why are they impossible? It just depends on your status of employment in some cases.
    Depends on the area in question. Employers around here are just less likely to give benefits overall than in some parts of the country, and with the economy in the state it's in, even that's just basically going away.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Tap View Post
    Depends on the area in question. Employers around here are just less likely to give benefits overall than in some parts of the country, and with the economy in the state it's in, even that's just basically going away.
    That may be the case. I don't know what your situation is but in my company, full time employees are afforded benefits (that are taken out of my check every pay period) and I spend a good bit on Vision, Medical and Dental.

The medical is good just in case my training becomes overzealous or whatever the reason.

Vacation days are accrued per pay period and if i ever leave, I'm sure they'll cut me a check. It's ok for now but i'm always looking for better.

The economy will make it hard for people to enjoy the benefits of having benefits.

I'm sorry for your hardships, brother.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    What cause his injury? im not much of a bruce lee guy so that gor me a little curious
    good mornings, in an exercise where you place a barbell across your shoulders, and bend forward from the waist. Bruce Lee was using a weight that was way too heavy for this exercise, and had a severe injury to his lower back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUpOZnhS4FI
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.