Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Soul of Shaolin

Shanghai, India, France, and over 12 other countries

There's a colorful photo but it's protected so I can't embed it. Follow the link.
    farewell show held

The cast of Soul of Shaolin will perform a farewell show this week.
    published: August 16 2011 01:03 PM updated:: August 16 2011 08:43 PM
    The cast of Soul of Shaolin will perform a unique farewell show Aug. 19 at the Eastern Shanghai Theater in Sevierville at 7:30 p.m. Admission for Sevier County residents is $5 on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
    “The entertainers are leaving Soul of Shaolin to begin a worldwide tour later this year,” said Grace Zhao, director of public relations for Soul of Shaolin. “The tour will travel to Shanghai, India, France, and over 12 other countries.
    “Seldom are you fortunate enough to see such a culturally distinctive show, especially with its original award winning Broadway cast.”
    In its second season at the Eastern Shanghai Theater in Sevierville, the show was originally conceived and produced in China. Soul of Shaolin is the first ever Chinese production to appear on Broadway.
    “I hope everyone will come out on Friday and wish these great performers a special farewell. We will also be giving each person attending the show a special necklace featured in the Soul of Shaolin show,” said Zhao
    Soul of Shaolin is located at the Eastern Shanghai Theater at 1304 Parkway in Sevierville, Tennessee. For More Information and to reserve tickets call 877-453-1188 or visit www.EasternShanghaiTheater.com
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

this show had some really cool moments...why it did have the normal fan fare we kung fu peeps are accustomed to with shaolin, it did have other things that we really havent seen before...

soul of shaolin

Saw the performance last week in Seiverville, TN. Very entertaining, great acting and shaolin kung fu.
    phoenixdog

Soul of Shaolin still got legs...

...Shaolin legs make it to Kuala Lumpur!

'The Soul of Shaolin: Hui Guang's Story' somersaults into Genting Highlands

By OOI TEE CHING - June 1, 2017 @ 8:22pm

KUALA LUMPUR: The Soul of Shaolin: Hui Guang's Story is being staged at Genting Highlands, and since it’s the school holidays, what better time for you and your family to take in an amazing show?

Parents looking to spend quality family time – and enjoy quality live entertainment – may want to take a drive up to the cool highlands and watch this critically-acclaimed theatrical series showcasing Shaolin kung fu, which is among the oldest institutionalised

styles of China’s array of martial arts.

The Soul of Shaolin is billed as China's key cultural export by China's Ministry of Culture, Ministry of Commerce, the State Administration of Radio, Film & Television, and the General Administration of Press and Publication – so what further acclaim do you need?

The Soul of Shaolin will be staged at the Genting International Showroom, twice daily, for a month.

Since making its debut in 2009, the globetrotting Shaolin kung fu warriors have held more than 500 performances across the US, Australia, Italy, Norway, India, Korea, Turkey, Macau, Hong Kong, Turkey and Indonesia.

The Soul of Shaolin deftly blends fast kung fu action and peaceful Buddhist meditation with a heart-warming tale of a small boy growing up in a Shaolin temple, who later reunites with his long-lost mother.

Shaolin kung fu was perfected by monks in the Shaolin temples of Henan province. This particular style of martial arts displays almost superhuman strength and agility, but is tempered by the monks' philosophical belief in fusing the mind, body and soul, as one.

A total of 33 highly-skilled warrior monks will dazzle audiences with awe-inspiring stunts. Their focused meditation underscores the spiritual essence of Shaolin kung fu.

A total of 22 shows are scheduled, with each screening lasting 90 minutes (including 10 minutes’ intermission). The shows start at 9pm and 4pm, from 28th May to 26th June 2017.

Tickets for Soul of Shaolin: the Story of Hui Guang are priced at RM156 (VIP), RM126 (PS1), RM96 (PS2). GRC (Genting Rewards Card) members enjoy a 10 per cent discount.

The Soul of Shaolin: Hui Guang’s story opened on May 28 to June 26.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Shimmer

NOV 20, 2017 @ 11:00 PM 739 The Little Black Book of Billionaire Secrets
    China Exporting Its First Open-Ended Musical to Broadway
    Marc Hershberg , CONTRIBUTOR
    Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.

The cast of 'Soul of Shaolin' perform at the Marquis Theatre on January 15, 2009 (Photo by Neilson Barnard/Getty Images)

Along with the latest gizmos and gadgets, China might soon export a Broadway show.

Earlier this month, Shanghai Heng Yuan Xiang Drama Development Company, a Chinese theatrical production firm, signed a memorandum of understanding with Nederlander Worldwide Entertainment to mount the first open-ended Chinese musical on Broadway. It is scheduled to begin performances in 2019.

The ambitious new musical, which is named Shimmer, shines on a spotlight on when Shanghai sheltered 20,000 Jewish refugees escaping Nazi persecution during the Second World War. Similar the popular Broadway musical Come From Away, recounting how a small town in Newfoundland welcomed thousands of stranded travelers after the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001, the Chinese show underscores the therapeutic power of human kindness during dark times.

"Through this drama, the audience can feel the charm of Chinese culture," remarked Sean Stein, the consul general at the U.S. Consulate General in Shanghai. "With this play being shown on Broadway in the future, the ties between the Chinese people and Americans will be firmly strengthened," he observed.

Nederlander Worldwide Entertainment, which is not a part of the renowned Nederlander Organization which operates 29 theaters around the world, has been working to establish ties between Broadway and China ever since it was created in 2000. Robert Nederlander, Sr., the father of the founder, served as a Regent at the University of Michigan, and headed the first delegation of American scholars to China in an effort to thaw international tensions in 1976.

“My father’s interests were diplomacy and reestablishing academic connections,” stated his son, Robert Nederlander, Jr. in 2015. “My interest was exploring commercial opportunities,” he said.

Its first Chinese venture on Broadway, Soul of Shaolin, was a special theatrical event that featured Buddhist monks performing martial arts. The limited engagement earned less than $1.3 million over the course of three weeks in 2009, and one critic wrote that it “ultimately seems a pretty cheap enterprise.” It could not compare to the entertainment on other stages in New York.

With plenty of time remaining to tweak Shimmer, its producers are hoping that critics will be a little more welcoming when the show reaches Broadway. “In the next two years, our team will polish the story and the performance to Broadway standards, providing the audience with the highest level of musical art," promised Chen Zhongwei, the president of the Shanghai-based theatrical production firm.
    A new Live Theatrical show related to Soul of Shaolin
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt 4 2019!

Action-packed theatrical experience Soul of Shaolin heads to London
    By Ldn-Post September 3, 2019 0

Playing in London for the first time, the internationally-acclaimed Soul of Shaolin is an action-packed theatrical experience combining a jaw-dropping mix of martial arts, acrobatics, rousing music and stunning theatrical design.

Originally presented at the 2008 Summer Olympics, and the first production from the People’s Republic of China ever to appear on Broadway, Soul of Shaolin has earned nominations at the 63rd Tony Awards for ‘Best Special Theatrical Event’ and the 54th Drama Desk Award for ‘Unique Theatrical Experience’.

Centered around a touching and universal story of loss and redemption, audiences will delight in a high-octane, vivid and extraordinary demonstration of Shaolin Kung Fu, handed down through generations in the legendary Shaolin Monastery, a Chán Buddhist temple at Song Shan near Dengfeng in China.

Caught up in war and turmoil, the story follows a young boy, Hui Guang, separated from his beloved mother and cast adrift in a frightening world. Rescued by monks of the Shaolin Monastery, he trains in the ancient art of Kung Fu. As fate intervenes and his mother returns, will Hui Guang be able to triumph over the barriers holding them apart?

Following more than 500 performances worldwide in countries including the US, Australia, Italy, Norway, India, Korea, Turkey, Macau, Hong Kong, Malaysia and Indonesia, Soul of Shaolin will celebrate its UK debut when it launches for 18 exclusive performances this September at Troubadour Wembley Park Theatre.

Troubadour Wembley Park Theatre is a new flexible 1,000-2,000 seat capacity theatre that opens this summer at Wembley Park, north West London’s dynamic new cultural neighbourhood.
    Still going. This show's got legs.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Nice! I would love to see it! how is this show compared to Wheel of Life?
    "色即是空 , 空即是色 " ~ Buddha via Avalokitesvara
    Shaolin Meditator

tough call...

You know, it's been years since I've seen a Shaolin show. They used to come through the SF Bay Area with insane regularity but not so much anymore. I guess the last one was 2015, was it? And that whole affair was a mess (read the whole thread if you don't remember).

Lately the tours only hit the North Bay (like Marin) and Monterey, both of which are kind of a long haul. I was invited to one in Monterey a few years ago - had comp tix but I couldn't make it - too last minute.

If I were to pick my fav shows, I'd have to go with the first one because many of the monks that I knew and trained under were on that (read The Dragon and the Eagle - The Shaolin Diaspora in America), and then perhaps Shaolin in the Wind, which I saw in China (read Shaolin Trips: Episode 4: A Hero Watching the Formation). I never saw Sutra but I think I would really like that one.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips