Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Soul of Shaolin

Soul of Shaolin

im gonna keep this simple. i saw the play last night with a friend(thanks for the tix gene). my friend as performed numerous times with the shi guolin school, she's not apart of the school but her school performs with them. and we both were only semi impressed. the opening of the film was impressive and some of the fights(one in particular with a bullwhip) where really risky and even scary from a fight choreographers point of view. but the repetition was killing me. i mean certainly the show was a spectacle and young kids and the uninitiated will love it. but for those who have seen shaolin demos will have a soso out look on it. i give it a 6 out of 10.

Thanks for the article, Doug

The tix came from the show. They were pleased with your review: Soul of Shaolin - Shaolin Comes to Broadway by Douglas Ferguson (photos by Kelly Fung

I may merge this with our Do the Shaolin Monks still tour? thread someday, since that's where this spiraled out from... I may not. We'll see.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Another review

But ours was first. And we gave away tickets.
    Duck! These Monks Have Feet and Fists of Fury
    Andrea Mohin/The New York Times
    By CHARLES ISHERWOOD
    Published: January 16, 2009

Who says nothing new ever happens on Broadway? We are merely days into the new year and I have a fresh sensation to report. The other evening at the Marquis Theater I sat squirming in my seat, possessed by anxiety that I might at any moment be hit by a flying monk.

I don’t mean to suggest that the kung fu masters in “Soul of Shaolin,” the Chinese martial-arts pageant that opened there Thursday night, are anything less than precise in their airborne gymnastics and kicks and thrusts. But as they fling their jabbing limbs around the stage, emitting menacing guttural shrieks and grunts, they achieve such velocity and altitude that a viewer could be forgiven for wanting to duck.

As cultural propaganda, “Soul of Shaolin,” which was performed during the recent Olympics as part of the Beijing arts festival, has a tough act to follow in the opening ceremonies of those games. I was as dazzled as everybody else by the breathtaking spectacle orchestrated by the filmmaker Zhang Yimou.

All that massed humanity moving in unison was a majestic sight, as long as you could put aside the fear that if a nervous flag-waver waved in the wrong direction at the wrong millisecond, a whole family might be banished to a distant province. The artistry and scale of the enterprise were breathtaking, like a series of moving Christo sculptures made of human flesh. All that, and Sarah Brightman warbling away on top of a giant globe, too.

“Soul of Shaolin” is obviously a far more modest piece of pageantry. It features 30 Chinese performers trained in Shaolin kung fu, a style originating at the Shaolin temple in Henan Province. They enact a very simple story about a baby torn from his mother’s arms during civil conflict and raised by the temple monks in the arts of kung fu.

Mostly the show is a series of collective or individual displays of rhythmic acrobatics and crisply choreographed combat. Although the program states that achieving inner peace is part of the Shaolin discipline, the monks depicted onstage at the Marquis don’t seem to spend much time in contemplation, unless it is contemplating one of their brethren spinning across the floor on his head or being hoisted in the air on the tips of spears.

The three performers who play the main character, Hui Guang, impress with their contortionist feats and physical prowess. The littlest, Wang Sen, naturally gets the zestiest oohs, aahs and aaws with his grim little scowl and the back flips onto his shaved head. The splashy all-monks-on-deck numbers combine the pop of a Broadway dance routine with the testosteroney thrill of Hong Kong action movies.

But “Soul of Shaolin” ultimately seems a pretty cheap enterprise. The sets are mostly painted flats, and the music (by Zhou Chenglong) is recorded. Much of it is schlocky; for long stretches it sounds as if someone loaded up the world’s most bombastic movie soundtracks on an iPod and then pressed the shuffle button. The passages of more relaxed indigenous music come as a big relief.

Unfortunately for the makers of “Soul of Shaolin” (the choreography and direction are by Liu Tongbiao), the innumerable Cirque du Soleil shows have set a far higher standard in terms of stagecraft. And they have plenty of contortionists, too. Watching someone fling his leg behind his head as if merely scratching an elbow is not the wince-inspiring feat it once was, thanks to those enterprising French Canadians and their hordes of international performers. (I suspect even Madonna can perform that trick these days.)

“Soul of Shaolin” is being presented on Broadway by Nederlander Worldwide Productions, a joint venture between the producer Robert Nederlander Jr. and Chinese partners. It is produced by China on Broadway, “established by Nederlander Worldwide to bring the best of Chinese culture to Broadway.”

I seriously doubt “Soul of Shaolin” represents the best of Chinese culture. Then again, the shows Nederlander Worldwide is bringing to China include the musicals “Aida,” “42nd Street” and “Fame” — hardly the best of American culture, either. All things considered I’d much rather see “Soul of Shaolin” again than “Aida.” And I’d happily be hoisted aloft on metal spears rather than endure once more the wretched “Fame.” But maybe it’s better in Mandarin?

SOUL OF SHAOLIN

Directed and choreographed by Liu Tongbiao; chief martial arts director, Jiao Hongbo; producer, Wang Jingbo; executive producers, Fang Jun and Robert Nederlander Jr.; music by Zhou Chenglong; sets by Xie Tongmiao; costumes by Huang Gengying; lighting by Song Tianjiao; sound by Wu Feifei and Keith Caggiano; martial-arts directors, Jiang Dongxu and Zhu Huayin; makeup by Chen Meiping; production manager, Fang Yongnian; general managers, Don Frantz and Laurie Brown; general manager, Li Zhixiang; executive director, Xue Weijun; stage supervisor, Wang Zhenpeng. A China on Broadway production, presented by Nederlander Worldwide Productions and Eastern Shanghai International Culture Film and Television Group. At the Marquis Theater, 1535 Broadway, at 45th Street, (212) 307-4100. Through January 31. Running time: 1 hour, 40 minutes.

WITH: Shaolin Temple Wushu Martial Artists: Yu Fei (Hui Guang as a young man), Dong Yingbo (Hui Guang as a teenager), Wang Sen (Hui Guang as a boy), Zhang Zhigang (Na Luo) and Bai Guojun (Abbot).
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

it was my mistake; cause i went in with higher expectations then usual, i took my little nephew to see it again, cause i was sure he would love it. and he did, and i gotta admit on second viewing the show was a little better. they seemed to work most of the kinks out. its the reason i never go to opening night on shows. so im gonna raise my rating from 6 to 8. its still typical shaolin fare. but again its the way its presented that makes the show work. i mean they did something that is scary in terms of fight chorey, the freaking used a real bullwhip in a staged fight. that i thought was crazy and dangerous and all i kept thinking is, these guys must not have any insurance. and all the high jumps had me cringing as well. so like i said people who are not jaded or not too jaded to the shaolin thing will love it. and it was packed both nights i saw it. so im sure an extended run anouncement will be coming soon. glad they liked the article. mr.neederlander was a pleasure to talk too. at the preview.

inspired

Kudos to the one-armed Shaolin monk; it was a great inspiration to see his skill. It just reminds me of how capable one can be if your heart is in the right place.

The one-armed monk

There's some good pics of him doing chain whip on the 1st article.
    Photo Coverage: SOUL OF SHAOLIN Opens on Broadway
    Friday, January 16, 2009; Posted: 11:01 PM - by Peter James Zielinski

Nederlander Worldwide Productions and The Eastern Shanghai Cultural Film and Television Group have partnered to present the China on Broadway production of "Soul of Shaolin," a new Chinese martial arts spectacle. The production began previews on Tuesday, January 13 and opened on Thursday, January 15 at Broadway's Marquis Theatre. BroadwayWorld's cameras captured the high flying opening night celebration.

"Soul of Shaolin" will play a limited engagement of 24 performances in celebration of the Lunar New Year* - the year of the Ox.

Direct from appearances in Sydney, Australia; Macau, People's Republic of China; and at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, comes a theatrical event that is unparalleled on Broadway. "Soul of Shaolin" tells the story of a boy named Hui Guang who is separated from his mother by war. Hui Guang is found and taken in by the legendary monks of the Shaolin temple and raised among them. As he becomes a man, Hui Gang becomes an accomplished master of Shaolin Kung Fu and embarks on a spectacular journey of self-discovery.

"Soul of Shaolin" marks the first time a production from the People's Republic of China has appeared on Broadway.

"Soul of Shaolin" features 33 Chinese nationals who are highly skilled in Shaolin Kung Fu, the breathtaking martial art that has been featured in such films as Fearless (starring international superstar Jet Li) and Shaolin Soccer, both of which were recent US box office successes.

Shaolin Kung Fu is the collection of martial arts that is associated with the monks of the Shaolin temple in China's Henan province. This particular style is characterized by almost superhuman displays of strength and agility, but is tempered with the monks' philosophical belief in training the mind, body, and Soul.

"Soul of Shaolin" marks the inaugural production of China on Broadway which is a historic partnership between Nederlander Worldwide Productions and Eastern Shanghai Cultural Film and Television Group. China on Broadway's American and Chinese partners will work together to develop and produce theatrical projects for global audiences. China on Broadway will bring an annual theatrical event featuring leading Chinese artists to Broadway in celebration of the Lunar New Year.

Robert Nederlander, Jr. of Nederlander Worldwide Productions said, "We are thrilled to bring ‘Soul of Shaolin' to Broadway as the first production of ‘China on Broadway,' our historic partnership with our colleagues at The Eastern Shanghai Cultural Film and Television Group. This partnership has already experienced tremendous success with our touring production of Aida in China. We are honored to be able to bring this partnership to Broadway with ‘Soul of Shaolin,' an amazing show that blends the fantastic spectacle of Shaolin Kung Fu with the rich history and tradition of the Chinese people in a new show that has been created by world class artists from Chinese theatre, opera, and ballet."

Tickets will are $95, $75, and $50. Student Rush tickets will be available for $30 day of the show at the Marquis Theatre Box Office with a valid ID, two tickets per student pending availability.

* TUESDAY, JANUARY 13 - SUNDAY, JANUARY 25: Tuesday at 7 PM, Wednesday at 2 & 8 PM, Thursday and Friday at 8 PM, Saturday 2 & 8 PM, Sunday 3 PM.
    * MONDAY, JANUARY 26 - SATURDAY, JANUARY 31 (WEEK OF LUNAR NEW YEAR): Monday at 8 PM (Day of the Lunar New Year), Tuesday at 7 PM, Wednesday at 2 & 8 PM, Thursday and Friday at 8 PM, Saturday at 2 & 8 PM. Please note there is no performance on Sunday.

Nederlander Worldwide Productions, LLC and affiliates (NWP) are led by Robert Nederlander, Jr., a third generation member of the Nederlander family, one of the great dynasties of the American theater. Mr. Nederlander founded and has personally overseen NWP's efforts in China since 2000, establishing the first Chinese foreign joint venture in the performance industry and creating a highly successful network of Chinese theaters for their touring productions including, in part, Beijing, Shanghai, Hangzhou, Nanjing, Ningbo, Wuhan, Xi'an and Tianjin. Recent productions presented by NWP that have toured China include 42nd Street and Aida.

Eastern Shanghai International Culture Film and Television Co., Ltd. is an entertainment conglomerate with interests in television, film, and live entertainment. The company is supported directly by the Shanghai Mayor's office, with a goal of making the city China's premiere world-class city for musical theater and live entertainment. As a comprehensive culture and performance organization in the People's Republic of China, Eastern Shanghai has dedicated significant resources to improving the Cultural Industry in China as well as the export and introduction of Chinese cultural products around the world.
    Photo Flash: SOUL OF SHAOLIN
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009; Posted: 11:01 PM - by BWW News Desk

Nederlander Worldwide Productions and The Eastern Shanghai Cultural Film and Television Group will partner to present the China on Broadway production of "Soul of Shaolin," a new Chinese martial arts spectacle, which will begin previews on Tuesday, January 13 and open Thursday, January 15 at Broadway's Marquis Theatre (1535 Broadway). "Soul of Shaolin" will play a limited engagement of 24 performances in celebration of the Lunar New Year* - the year of the Ox.

Direct from appearances in Sydney, Australia; Macau, People's Republic of China; and at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, comes a theatrical event that is unparalleled on Broadway. "Soul of Shaolin" tells the story of a boy named Hui Guang who is separated from his mother by war. Hui Guang is found and taken in by the legendary monks of the Shaolin temple and raised among them. As he becomes a man, Hui Gang becomes an accomplished master of Shaolin Kung Fu and embarks on a spectacular journey of self-discovery.

"Soul of Shaolin" marks the first time a production from the People's Republic of China has appeared on Broadway. "Soul of Shaolin" will feature 33 Chinese nationals who are highly skilled in Shaolin Kung Fu, the breathtaking martial art that has been featured in such films as Fearless (starring international superstar Jet Li) and Shaolin Soccer, both of which were recent US box office successes.

Shaolin Kung Fu is the collection of martial arts that is associated with the monks of the Shaolin temple in China's Henan province. This particular style is characterized by almost superhuman displays of strength and agility, but is tempered with the monks' philosophical belief in training the mind, body, and Soul.

"Soul of Shaolin" marks the inaugural production of China on Broadway which is a historic partnership between Nederlander Worldwide Productions and Eastern Shanghai Cultural Film and Television Group. China on Broadway's American and Chinese partners will work together to develop and produce theatrical projects for global audiences. China on Broadway will bring an annual theatrical event featuring leading Chinese artists to Broadway in celebration of the Lunar New Year.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wow, I am glad I got to see the show for free with those ticket prices. The one armed monk is really a one armed monk, he lost his arm to a train accident when he was 9 years old.

The one-armed monk

He was featured in Riding Rails in China on PBS.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

the whip fight scene was total bad ass. i will say it again and again

I saw the show Sat night.. My first time seeing the monks live in person. I liked the show in general. The whip fight seen was good some others not so good. The little boy was amazing I thought. I thought he took the show. Over all I'd give it a 7 out of 10. I've seen Chinese Oppra which I thought was better.
    http://www.facebook.com/sifumcilwrath
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..

After the show I was waiting for a down town train and across from the tracks I could see about 10 to 15 monks waiting for an uptown train. I thought those guys would have a limo at least.
    http://www.facebook.com/sifumcilwrath
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..

Another review

Siegel got the significance of Broadway as "an important cultural milestone" but she dropped it with the dance. Instead of using Dancing with the Stars as her bridge, she so should have gone with Superstars of Dance.

Fern Siegel Posted January 20, 2009 | 04:04 PM (EST)
    Stage Door: Soul of Shaolin, Champions of the Dance

Soul of Shaolin is the first show from the People's Republic of China to play on Broadway, an important cultural milestone. It's also a martial-arts spectacular, featuring 30 Chinese nationals skilled in Shaolin Kung Fu. The costumes are striking, and the music is exquisite. This is a performance rendered not by words, but by movement. And it's a wonder to behold.

Now playing at the Marquis Theater through Jan. 31, Soul of Shaolin is set in ancient China and tells the story of Hui Guang, a baby separated from his mother. Found and raised by the monks of the Shaolin temple, Hui is schooled in the ways of Kung Fu. As a boy, he is precocious; as an adult, he will embark on a poignant journey of self-discovery.

The Shaolin tradition advocates virtue and goodness of heart to develop both mind and temperament. Those precepts are rendered here by extraordinary physical feats. There is minimal narration; the story unfolds visually. Some moments are extraordinary - a man is balanced on four spears - others illustrate the thrilling artistry of Wushu martial arts. All underscore a rich cultural tradition rarely seen on stage and not to be missed. Soul of Shaolin is a family-friendly visual feast.

The American version of such physical sensations is probably dance.

Dancing With the Stars is a spectacular hit on TV. The ABC reality show even out paces acclaimed sitcoms and dramas. Now Town Hall is getting into the act - kicking off its 2009 season with Champions of the Dance, this Friday, Jan. 23. The show features world-renowned performers, including some from Stars, as well as the elegantly sexy American Ballroom Challenge. For one night, audiences can bask in the wonders of tango, meringue, rumba, cha-cha, fox trot and swing. The dances, like the music, are hypnotic.

Champions of the Dancewill showcase some of the brightest stars in the dance firmament: Erin Bomboy and Tony Scheppler, the reigning North American Smooth champs who appeared in Enchanted, Evgeny Dyaachenko and Inna Ivanenk, World American Show vice champs, and the current mambo champs: Matt and Karen Hauer. All are mesmerizing performers.

What accounts for the medium's current revival? "Life is stressful, and people want stable, romantic relationships. Ballroom dancing is the symbol of the ideal relationship between men and women," says Taliat Tarsinov, the co-creator and choreographer of Champions. "People used to meet at dances; now they meet over the Internet. That's why everyone is glued to dance shows on TV. Fashion changes, music changes. But dance stays as one activity that embraces everyone," he says.

A second reason for dance's enduring appeal is the artists' ability to express "inner feelings through their physical being - in the most seemingly impossible way," says Hong Cheng, a competitive ballroom dancer and director of Dynasty Entertainment, which specializes in cross-cultural artistic exchange between the U.S. and China. "Great dancers demonstrate unlimited vitality and energy," she says.

That beauty and energy ensure a lively launch for Town Hall's '09 season.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

the fight scenes involving hui guangs mother were of no particular interest to me. they had no energy and the girl you can tell is probably just a trained dancer.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    the fight scenes involving hui guangs mother were of no particular interest to me. they had no energy and the girl you can tell is probably just a trained dancer.

The girl, if its the same one I met when they tested the show in Tennessee, is not a martial artist. She is a Chinese National that was living and going to school in New York and an actress. She was very cool, spoke excellent engilish, and was very down to earth. I am sure she is very excited to be on broadway.

More on Soul of Shaolin

This gives the scene breakdown

"Great Kung Fu Masters come from Shaolin temple, and those from Shaolin never meet a rival."
    Shaolin Kung Fu,
    the combination of Zen and Martial;
    Shaolin Kung Fu,
    the soul of virtue

A brand-new Chinese martial arts spectacle

The first Chinese production that has been shown in New York Broadway

INTRODUCTION
    Among a myriad of Chinese martial arts, Shaolin KungFu, with over 1500 years of history, enjoys the longest history, with most complete and the largest system.

Soul of Shaolin is a breathtaking new Chinese martial arts spectacle that tells the story of a boy named Hui Guang who is separated from his mother by war. Hui Guang is found and taken in by the legendary monks of the Shaolin temple and raised among them. As he becomes a man, Hui Guang becomes an accomplished master of Shaolin Kung Fu and embarks on a spectacular journey of self-discovery.

Soul of Shaolin features 33 Chinese nationals highly skilled in Shaolin Kung Fu, the astounding martial art featured in such blockbuster films as Fearless (starring international superstar Jet Li) and Shaolin Soccer.

Soul of Shaolin is a large-scale dance drama which tells you a whole story by kungfu performance, it shows a variety of boxing, war instrument, inner-power and fighting routines in a new-brand art style. This amazing show blends the fantastic display of Shaolin Kung Fu with the rich history and tradition of the Chinese people. Created by world-class artists from Chinese theatre, opera and ballet, Soul of Shaolin is dazzling entertainment your whole family will remember forever.

TOUR PERFORMANCES
    Since its creation and rehearsal in 2006, it has been performed for nearly 200 times at home and abroad, 3 times in Europe and 150 times in America. It received high praise when the show was performed in Sydney, Macao and during the Beijing Olympics. Soul of Shaolin, this new Chinese martial arts spectacle, will tour again domestic cities after its performing in New York Broadway early this year, making an inaugural Chinese production on Broadway.

Together with the choice skills of Shaolin martial art, some episodes of the series have been performed during quite a number of major international events hosted in China, such as the opening ceremonies of the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, the closing ceremony of the Beijing 2008 Paralympic Games, the closing ceremony of the Shanghai stop of 2008 Formula 1 Sinopec Chinese Grand Prix, and the opening ceremony of the XVIII International Federation of Translators (FIT) World Congress in Shanghai in August, 2008.

SYNOPSIS
    Preface
    Shaolin Kung-fu got its name from its cradle land-Shaolin Temple on Songshan Mountain about over 1500 years ago. Shaolin Kung-fu is famous all over the world with around 2000 monks and over 500 monks who could play Kung-fu in its heyday. The Kung-fu monks have made contribution and won the morale in history.

Scene I Rescuing orphan
    The flames of war were raging everywhere, plunging people into utter miscry and suffering. Miao Xing, the head of Shaolin Temple, led his men to fight against bullies and to hope to bring peace to civilian. During the fight of the war, a woman fell into the hands of gangsters. She hid her baby in the grass and jumped down a cliff. Na Luo, a one-arm Kung Fu monk from Shaolin Temple, saved the baby and found a broken piece of jade identifying his origin in the swaddles.

Scene II Learning in Shaolin Temple
    Time Flew. The baby grew up under the care of the monks. He was given the Buddhist name Hui Guang and began to learn Kung Fu from Na Luo. Having grown up and become a great Kung Fu master, Miao Xing, the head of the temple, decided to return the broken jade to Hui Guang and tell him his origin.

Scene III Kung Fu
    The monks sweated under burning sun, practicing Kung Fu. They demonstrate Kung Fu skills everywhere in their daily life. One day a monk get drunk and made trouble, Hui Guang tried to stop him but fails. Hui Guang had to involve the fighting with the drunken monk and then beat him down onto the ground. The head of temple, Na Luo, blamed Hui Guang, but he refused to confess his fault. Hui Guang was being punished to reflect his wrong in the hole, in the end he realized that the virtue is the spirit of Shaolin Kung Fu.

Scene IV Encounter mother
    On a crowded street, Hui Guang's mother is still alive, in order to looking for her son, she makes living by begging. Some hooligans come and molest her. She fights against them in danger. Hui Guang, just passing by, gives hand rescuing her mother out of danger. Without notice by Hui Guang, the jade falls onto the ground and being picked up by his mother. Mother recognized this jade, with mixed feeling, she follow Hui Guang secretly try to find her own son.

Scene V Looking for Her Son
    The monks are practicing Kung Fu under the moonlight. Covering her face, Hui Guang's mother sneaks into the Tablet Forest of Shaolin Temple and hide herself. On the way back to the temple, Hui Guang sees a black shadow (her mother) moving in the Tablet Forest. He captures her. The head of temple and Na Luo come out and interrogate her. The whole things come to obvious. The reunion brings mixed feelings of joy and sorrow to mother and son. The mother asks to take Hui Guang with her. The head of temple refused by saying that, as the temple rules required, only if Hui Guang can fights his way out, then he can be allowed to secularize.

Scene XI Home Return
    Hui Guang fights his way out of the temple in fighting process. Na Luo is the last one block on his way. In the crucial moment, the mercy of Na Luo let him give way to Hui Guang, to make him return to his mother. A happy reunion comes. With extremely grateful and tears in eyes, mother and the son farewell to Shaolin.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips