Thread: Hernia & Kung FU

Hernia & Kung FU

so last sunday while stretching i felt a pull...it's been giving me pain all week and today i went to the doc who confirmed it was a hernia

i have an appointment with the surgeon on the 27th...

i just recently signed a contract with the Wah Lum school here in in Orlando, i've yet to begin, (im supposed to start on the 2nd)..obviously this will have to be pushed back until i am 100%

anyways...has anyone had any experiences with hernias and continuing martial arts? this isn't something that is going to hold me back from doing it is it?

thanks in advance for the input

namaste

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

There are dozens of types of hernia. You mean a herniated disc/spinal hernia?

I suffered from a recurring one very badly. I didn't want surgery and it gave me trouble until I started lifting weights seriously. Haven't had any trouble since then... longest time free since the initial trauma. If I do get a slight twinge (from being over enthusiastic in deadlifts or something) it goes again really quickly.

As for MA: well, you can't practise when your disc is herniated, so yes, it affects your training!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

see your doctor, do what is suggested.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

You will be out for six weeks following the surgery. They will patch up the rip in your muscle with a piece of surgical steel mesh. After that you can resume normal training.

You'll get over it.

I had right inguenal (Sp???) hernia surgery in 2000 and left-side double hernia surgery in 2006. I was in the Army at the time. In both instances, I was able to resume running and cardio within two weeks, and was able to do my full workouts again within 6 to 8 weeks. The only thing I will advise is to fully follow the advice of your doctor as it pertains to physical activity. The new mesh hernia repairs are very strong once the healing is completed, but are vulnerable in the meantime. If you come back too early, and re-open the hernia, your risk of subsequent re-injury is significantly higher.

I wasn't doing martial arts when I had the hernia surgeries but started back up in 2008. Since that time, the repairs have held up well. From time to time, I have some slight pain around the surgical scars but so far so good. Good luck!

ON

Could a groin pull be mistaken for a Hernia and vice versa?

Quote Originally Posted by Cimaroon View Post
    Could a groin pull be mistaken for a Hernia and vice versa?
    Not by a doctor.

I just went and saw the DR...got me a hernia too. yup, first time going under the knife. wowzers

Quote Originally Posted by Cimaroon View Post
    I just went and saw the DR...got me a hernia too. yup, first time going under the knife. wowzers
    On the list of surgeries I've had the hernias are the least intrusive. You'll heal quickly. Just absolutely don't over-do it in the early going. You absolutely do not want to reopen that bad boy.

have you seen a surgeon yet?

i have my appointment on tuesday.
    im actually pretty anxious to get this over with. i'm ready to begin training and going back to being active. its pretty depressing not being able to do any kind of exercise

i no longer have any pain, but i've read that sometimes the pain subsides when the hernia is "pushed" back in.

I saw the surgeon.....I know ive had this thing for a good 6 months maybe longer. With the regular work I do(carpentry,cutting firewood,etc) i probably initially did it...add in working out,running,etc. Im suprised it never bother me enough to bust out. I was playing basketball the other day and it finailly made its presence fully known. Dosent feel too bad now, except when I sneeze.

YEah, cant wait myself to getting back to working out. For now, a little bit of yoga and more standing practice.