Thread: SPM vs Boxing

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

SPM vs Boxing

Hi guys!

How does juk lum or any other SPM system defend and attack against a western boxer, especially against angular punches such as hooks?

what's your strategy when fighting a boxer, since he doesn't rely on a bridge to fight. in fact he does everything to avoid bridge contact, He uses footwork as his defense not giving the opportunity to bridge.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    when he throws a strike,he presents a bridge for you. You intercept and shut him down. Then you continuously strike from all angles,to the most vital areas you can, untill he is subdued.Then hit some more.
    Easier said, than done. There are no absolutes. Anyone can get hit. Anyone can win or lose a fight.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter View Post
    Hi guys!

How does juk lum or any other SPM system defend and attack against a western boxer, especially against angular punches such as hooks?

what's your strategy when fighting a boxer, since he doesn't rely on a bridge to fight. in fact he does everything to avoid bridge contact, He uses footwork as his defense not giving the opportunity to bridge.
    Bridges are always there, even when they are not.
    You fight a boxer like you fight anyone else, by inflciting more damage on him than he does on you.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Bridges are always there, even when they are not.
    You fight a boxer like you fight anyone else, by inflciting more damage on him than he does on you.
    "What's in a name? that which we call a bridge
    By any other name would close the gap......"

Kind of meaning that the horse/stances/footwork can be used to "bridge the gap".

Bridge

Who says that SPM depends on bridge. Mantis is one of the few systems which can strike you with power from anywhere in space. Known for it's inch power multiple strikes are common by the lead hand. We deal with boxing hands by destroying, eating, and redirecting. The great champion Rocky Marciano use to strike his opponents arm points till they couldn't lift them. SPM utilizes crippling points to the limbs. We also use monkey footworks and evasion. When we do make contact we also control with a bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Who says that SPM depends on bridge. Mantis is one of the few systems which can strike you with power from anywhere in space. Known for it's inch power multiple strikes are common by the lead hand. We deal with boxing hands by destroying, eating, and redirecting. The great champion Rocky Marciano use to strike his opponents arm points till they couldn't lift them. SPM utilizes crippling points to the limbs. We also use monkey footworks and evasion. When we do make contact we also control with a bridge.
    Personaly I like striking areas on the arm like triceps and inside of biceps, w/ a phoenix eye or leopard paw then move in and Destroy him. And imo hooks are the easiest punches to redirect and or avoid.
    "All the skill in the world won't hold up to a real confrontation if you are too afraid to use it."

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    We also use monkey footworks and evasion. When we do make contact we also control with a bridge.
    great post! footwork and evasion is key.

as far as Shadow Skill saying that the hook is the easiest to redirect and avoid-not in my experience, as a good fighter will throw the tight hook when he is in real close.

But, SPM as I understand it, is not about standing there, toe to toe and duking it out. It is about, shutting him down fast.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

[QUOTE=as far as Shadow Skill saying that the hook is the easiest to redirect and avoid-not in my experience, as a good fighter will throw the tight hook when he is in real close.[/QUOTE]

When I'm in close w/ someone I'm usually making contact with them, If I'm touching them I can feel them and react to their motion. Plus they have to worry about my weapons also. remember SPM is exquisit at fighting in close range
    "All the skill in the world won't hold up to a real confrontation if you are too afraid to use it."

Blog Entries
    We also use monkey footworks and evasion. When we do make contact we also control with a bridge.
    what exactly is monkey footworks?

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    But, SPM as I understand it, is not about standing there, toe to toe and duking it out. It is about, shutting him down fast.
    How exactly do you shut them down? is it by closing the gap on them?