Thread: Tai Chi Chuan in the Olympics 1936

Tai Chi Chuan in the Olympics 1936

Please have a look here:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ayphotohosting

The offical Book about the presentation of Tai Chi Chuan on the Olympics 1936 in Berlin. I would love to read it. It has 26 pages and is in German, English and French. The Tai Chi itself was shown at the 11.8.36 on the Dietrich-Eckart-Stage. Interesting that Tai Chi was present to the public in the west so early. Would love to know what say showed. Would love to know what is written the little book.

Does somebody knows more about it?

Martin2
    Last edited by Martin2; 01-18-2009 at 01:33 PM.

Found some info about the Author, also called Chu Man-yi:

Most authorities credit Chu Man-yi, a student of Wu Jian -quan, with inventing both the Tai Chi ruler and the Tai Chi ball shortly after the First World War. His idea was that simple turning, twisting and circling movements based on Tai Chi form and Western Gymnastics could replace the form, which he considered too complex for some students.

from here: http://www.taichichuan.co.uk/informa...tion_time.html

Martin2

Hello everybody,

I got this info:
    From the official reports of the games, available at http://www.la84foundation.org/6oic/O...lReports/1936/

The gymnastics of the Chinese team introduced the spectators into an entirely different world.
    The demonstration of “Chinese Boxing” on August 11th in the Dietrich Eckart Open-Air Theatre
    showed that Chinese gymnastics arc based upon ancient Chinese conceptions of the universe. The
    individual exercises have the purpose of giving the body the highest degree of suppleness and
    elasticity, with self-defense in view. In the partner exercises, which must be carried out with great
    speed, the Chinese displayed an insensitivity to hard and fast blows which was astonishing. The
    exercises with the sword, spear and pike were noteworthy. These weapons were carried past the
    body in dangerous proximity. This was nerve-racking for the spectators but it proved the courage
    and daring taught by these exercises.
    In conclusion it can be said that a more comprehensive review of the physical training methods
    in the various countries had never been afforded, and in this respect the 23th Olympic Games
    provided a mighty impulse for physical culture throughout the world.
    The different methods of exercising and the conceptions of the true aim of physical education
    which prevailed in the various nations awakened the interest of the spectators to an unusual
    extent. The marching of the groups, mass exercises, rhythm, tempo, agility, strength and
    suppleness all combined to prove in a most convincing manner the extreme value of definitely
    organized physical culture. It may be truthfully asserted that the gymnastic demonstrations
    supplemented the athletic competitions in an outstanding manner. For the participants themselves
    the opportunity of being present at the Olympic Festival provided a rich source of new experiences
    and ideas, a means of furthering a common ideal and the occasion for comparing individual
    ability and methods with those of other nations. The demonstrations of the national groups
    were given a prominent place in the Olympic programme and served to lend variety and novelty
    to the Festival.

Hello everybody,

I got a link to some more material. Sorry in spanish, but great pictures of the Chinese delegation from page 8 on:

http://www.centrosanti.com.ar/Magazine/Berlin1936.pdf

Martin2

Nice video of Chu Min-Yi working his ruler and ball apparatus
    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=344661252404213

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 894
Size:  94.7 KB
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

The Nazi Olympics

The 1936 Berlin Olympics were very controversial and historically significant for many reasons. China sent a Wushu Team and it is often cited as the one of the first international demonstrations of Chinese martial arts. On the team were some of the leading proponents of the day: Fu Shuyun, Jin Shisheng, Kou Yunxing, Liu Yuhua, Wen Jingming, Zhai Lianyuan, Zhang Erding, Zhang Wenguang, and Zheng Huaixian. Zhang Wenguang was a noted professor at the Beijing Physical Education University and Zheng Huaixian was President of the Chinese Wushu Association. Their names pop up prominently whenever you do research on wushu.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Unfortunately Chu was part of the WWII Japanese puppet govt in china and was executed at age 62.

As Foreign Minister, he negotiated the November 30, 1940 treaty in which Tokyo accorded formal diplomatic recognition to the Nanjing Nationalist Government and worked to secure diplomatic recognition by the Axis Powers by the end of 1941. He was awarded the Order of the Rising Sun (1st class) by Emperor Hirohito. Chu continued to pay an important role in the Nanjing Nationalist Government until the end of World War II.

In 1945, after the surrender of Japan, Chu was taken into custody by the Republic of China government in Guangdong in August 1945. He was brought to trial in Nanjing on charges of treason in April 1946. There was considerable public sympathy for Chu at the time of his trial for many people found it hard to consider Chu as a national traitor due his record as a Chinese nationalist. Many people considered his wartime role as a result of his personal loyalty to Wang Jingwei. Nevertheless, Chu was found guilty of treason and executed at Suzhou on August 23, 1946. His last words were “I am not ashamed for my living, yet my death will make more value. My body should be sent to the hospital to assist the study on medicine.”
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

1 Most of the links no longer exist.

It needs fund to keep something on the server of a hosting company.

2 Nanking puppy gov rebuilt economic structure and stabilized occupied area.

When they were good and ready, Chong Qin gov took over.

In that sense, they served a greater purpose for the people and reconstruction Post WWII.

1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin - Closing Ceremony - Kung Fu Demo

I'm not sure how legit this footage is. It popped up on my newsfeed just now. It's the first I've seen of it.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Probably the video poster meant that these were the moves demo'ed in that event.

Of course, the silk PJ was not used in that event.