Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: YKS gatekeeper?

YKS gatekeeper?

who is considered the gatekeeper of the YKS system?

i know Sum Dek? supposedly got the title, but are there others out there that know more/trained longer etc

i have heard (only read actually!) that Thomas Wong is tremendous, and also heard (actually heard!) that Kwok Wan Ping was certainly one of the better fighters

YKS system doesnt seem to suffer from the politics that Ip Man's wc lineage unfortunately suffers from, and if you would prefer to give your answer in private, then please pm me

all info will be greatly appreciated!

check out my one inch punch thread. i believe that is the tom wong you are speaking of

also check out

www.tomwongwingchun.com

on his site it says he is the official 'gatekeeper' of YKSWC outside China, appointed by sum neng
    Last edited by clam61; 01-27-2009 at 12:00 AM.

"Gatekeeper"? Depends----

Quote Originally Posted by clam61 View Post
    check out my one inch punch thread. i believe that is the tom wong you are speaking of

also check out

www.tomwongwingchun.com

on his site it says he is the official 'gatekeeper' of YKSWC outside China, appointed by sum neng
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Politics is part of life and it touches all lineages and styles and human activity.

joy chaudhuri

well YKSWC is officialy recognized and documented as a legitimate form of KF by the chinese government.
    sum neng was appointed official head of YKSWC by the chinese government.
    sum neng then appointed tom wong the head of YKSWC outside of china before he died
    Last edited by clam61; 01-27-2009 at 12:25 PM.

also check out

www.tomwongwingchun.com

Nice clips on that website.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Yks

I am not in that line, but Rene Ritchie should know. From one of his essays I recall that Sum Nun's students do not have a fixed hierarchy. So I don't know about the term gatekeeper. In any case
    as far as I can tell-Leung Dai Chiu has a very long standing in depth background in Sum Nun Wing Chun as well.

joy chaudhuri

thank you for all of your replies so far

i was looking to find info on who may have got the full transmission from Sum Nung and, who was able to actually use that information.

Just out of a genuine interest that is all, thats why i mentioned that pm would be fine

also Tom Wong was declared the top outside of China in '89? is that correct?
    i guess this would include HK as well as they didnt go back to the PRC until '97? Tom Wong certainly looks exceptionally talented!

kind regards

David

Sifu Wong Type chi sao?

yes that is correct.

from his site www.tomwongwingchun.com:. could be fake. you could contact these people and ask them easily so i assume its legit.

"The most powerful Lap-Sao and sensitivity since Bruce Lee . . . the best Wing Chun expert in America that I know of . . ." (Jerry Poteet, Bruce Lee's student, a Grandmaster of JKD, an author, and movie producer).

"Sifu Wong . . . very fast and powerful . . ." (James Demile, Bruce Lee's first student in the United States, author of Wing Chun Do, and a Grandmaster of JKD/Wing Chun).

"Tom Wong's Yuen Kay San Wing Chun style has certain depth and understanding that I have not seen in other styles." (Bob Ashby, studied, met, and trained with many famous Grandmasters, including Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee, and several Wing Chun Grandmasters throughout the United States for more than 40 years).
    other quotes too but from people not so famous

Quote Originally Posted by LSWCTN1 View Post
    thank you for all of your replies so far

i was looking to find info on who may have got the full transmission from Sum Nung and, who was able to actually use that information.

Just out of a genuine interest that is all, thats why i mentioned that pm would be fine

also Tom Wong was declared the top outside of China in '89? is that correct?
    i guess this would include HK as well as they didnt go back to the PRC until '97? Tom Wong certainly looks exceptionally talented!

kind regards

David
    Last edited by clam61; 01-28-2009 at 02:11 PM.

Mickey Mouse

You gotta have a lot of spare time to worry about such questions...

i think hes just trying to find the best teacher so he can avoid people like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_vvI26NnwE

i know Sum Dek? supposedly got the title, but are there others out there that know more/trained longer etc

i have heard (only read actually!) that Thomas Wong is tremendous, and also heard (actually heard!) that Kwok Wan Ping was certainly one of the better fighters

YKS system doesnt seem to suffer from the politics that Ip Man's wc lineage unfortunately suffers from, and if you would prefer to give your answer in private, then please pm me

all info will be greatly appreciated!
    Does not suffer from politics? I think all wingchun lineages do, the more famous, the more prone they are to it.

Who's who is already known by their students and wingchun community in Guangzhou

If you read their language, here's their answer

http://www.kungfunet.net/bbs/dispbbs...&page=1&star=1

You can also call Yuen Kay San's grandson(who learnt from Sum Nung) to visit him if you really want to know more

阮祖棠老师 88576829
    Last edited by Shadow_warrior8; 01-28-2009 at 09:18 PM.
    讲你不听,听你不明,明你不做,做你又做错,错你又不认,认你又不改,改你又不服,不服你又不讲;那你要我 怎么办?

what about this in particular strikes you as different?

Quote Originally Posted by edseas2 View Post

i think hes just trying to find the best teacher so he can avoid people like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_vvI26NnwE
    I think that he's basically asking for a teacher like that with this kind of questions...

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha_Fist View Post
    Mickey Mouse

You gotta have a lot of spare time to worry about such questions...
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha_Fist View Post
    I think that he's basically asking for a teacher like that with this kind of questions...
    i actualy have a very good instructor, IMHO.

i ask because i enjoy wing chun in all its forms, and enjoy the history and characters of the art too

this is a forum, some people on here

(a) do enjoy all aspects of wing chun, sometimes that includes the history and other things that have no bearing on their own wc

(b) some come on here to share

(c) some come on here to procrastinate

(d) some come on here to learn something that their teacher hasn't/wont/can't shown them

looking back your previous posts, you and i are not in the same brackets