Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Instructors and Owners

Instructors and Owners

What is the reason for having a "registration fee" when a new student enrolls in your school? Thanks for your responses.
    Forget about Yesterday, Live for Today and Pray for Tomorrow
    www.Weaponsathand.com

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    usually it's explained to cover administrative costs associated with processing your paperwork

and, i think, to cover any actual time you spend training during the 3 days (or whatever short term period the contract you signed stated) in which you have to completely withdraw from the contract with no penalties.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

My administrative costs for using a little ink, a piece of paper, and three minutes to enter the information into my computer, never calculated it, maybe $1.50. I don't have a registration fee and my guess is that it is just another excuse for schools to make another quick buck out there. I know some schools in our area require this, a membership in their association, a uniform, first months tuition, and in some cases a $500.00 down payment which you have to finance. Not to mention, testing fees, equipment purchases, etc. over time. The funny thing is, they have tons of students.

My stepson wanted to learn Muay Thai, so I found a place here in Austin that advertised Muay Thai. We went to go try out the class and not only did the school not teach Muay Thai, they taught kick boxing, but you had to pay a $ 750.00 down payment, $100.00 a month for tuition and you only got to come to two 1/2 hour classes per week. I kindly thanked the instructor for his time and walked out wondering if maybe the secret to success is ripping the students off, this place was jam packed full of kids and parents. Maybe I'm doing it all wrong by being honest and teaching for the love of my art and actually teaching my art.

Quote Originally Posted by sha0lin1 View Post
    ...but you had to pay a $ 750.00 down payment, $100.00 a month for tuition and you only got to come to two 1/2 hour classes per week...
    wow...that is insane.

My school is 85$ per month.

Yet they do require you to put down a 200$ deposit. This deposit does however will go towards your classes itself…so it brings your monthly fee down to about 69$ a month (give or take some change).

We also do have testing fees…but they are not so bad. I will be testing next month and I think the cost is 20$? Or so?.
    Last edited by Exadon; 01-23-2009 at 08:50 AM.

The only "down-payment" plans I would use are either like Exadon said his works, or IF you use that as a way to sell them proper protective equipment. For example, you pay $200 up front, but that includes gloves, shin guards, and a headgear. That way, you make some money off of the equipment, but it's something they would have needed anyway.

I don't like the idea of running a martial arts school like a fitness gym and charging sign up fees, etc...but then again I only do it a few hours a week and it's not my main source of income.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Exadon View Post
    wow...that is insane.

My school is 85$ per month.

Yet they do require you to put down a 200$ deposit. This deposit does however will go towards your classes itself…so it brings your monthly fee down to about 69$ a month (give or take some change).

We also do have testing fees…but they are not so bad. I will be testing next month and I think the cost is 20$? Or so?.
    Deposit? What for? Damages to the school? Are they afraid you might attend a class or two you didn't pay for?

Also, how would a deposit bring down your monthly payment. If a school told me I had to leave some sort of deposit I would just laugh and walk out the door.

speaking as a school owner its a B.S way of taking more money from you!

just like testing fee's, enrollment fee's etc etc. thier is no registration costs per'se other than what shaolin said a buck or two.. this is the problem with commerical schools.. black belt mills.........

I have even heard of charging a testing fee and wrapping a piece of colored electrical tape around a belt and charging for it....

I dont charge anything other than monthly tuition.. But if a school owner is trying ot make a living off of you while teaching martial arts then theres all kinds of ways to charge for things that should be free.....

reality is most people that join quit so its a way to get the most money out of you while your still interested and excited...
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    Deposit? What for? Damages to the school? Are they afraid you might attend a class or two you didn't pay for?

Also, how would a deposit bring down your monthly payment. If a school told me I had to leave some sort of deposit I would just laugh and walk out the door.
    Errr? I don’t understand your question.

How would a deposit bring down your monthy fee? Because it is a "deposit"…not a ‘fee". Clases cost 85 a month. The 200$ goes towards the monthly fee. One year of classes so 200/12 = 16.6~
    16.6 - 85 = 68.30 a month.

I don't see how that has anything to do with damages to the school or "attending classes you did not pay for".

I don't believe I ever called it a "secruity deposit".

The membership also lets you come to the school anytime it’s open (much like a gym)and that is good for me since I have no room in my house for training
    Last edited by Exadon; 01-23-2009 at 11:06 AM.

Buying your equipment and/or uniform is purchasing tangible items that you hold in your hands and own for as long as they last. IE it is NOT a "registration fee"

We charge you the first 30 days up front, plus equipment IF you need it. We do not have a registration fee. A registration fee is, without any doubt, a payment for nothing....
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Exadon View Post
    Errr? I don’t understand your question.

How would a deposit bring down your monthy fee? Because it is a "deposit"…not a ‘fee". Clases cost 85 a month. The 200$ goes towards the monthly fee. One year of classes so 200/12 = 16.6~
    16.6 - 85 = 68.30 a month.

I don't see how that has anything to do with damages to the school or "attending classes you did not pay for".

I don't believe I ever called it a "secruity deoisut".

The membership also lets you come to the school anytime it’s open (much like a gym)and that is good for me since I have no room in my house for training
    Is it an option to pay this? If not then you simply pay $200 up front and 70 per month. I bet you don't get your "Deposit" back if for some reason you don't train the entire year.

You can call it what you like but it's not a "deposit"....If anything it's just a registration fee. I would like to see this guys books. I bet he doesn't call it a deposit when it comes to revenue.

We charge no reg fee nor do contracts. Basically, pay for your uniform ($50), and first month, and you are off doing stance training for hours.

I have taught at a franchise school where we charged a $150 registration. That paid for some h.s. pt to input you into the data base and send your bill to you monthly.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    Is it an option to pay this? If not then you simply pay $200 up front and 70 per month. I bet you don't get your "Deposit" back if for some reason you don't train the entire year.

You can call it what you like but it's not a "deposit"....
    If anything it's just a registration fee. I would like to see this guys books. I bet he doesn't call it a deposit when it comes to revenue.
    So putting a downpayment on a house is just some sort "registration fee" as well? The math comes out to 85$ a month witch is seems reasonable to me.

Most other schools I looked into this area are 100$ a month.

You can call it what you like as well. And to each his/her own..but I personally feel it is a good value. And of course will always be supportive of my own school
    Last edited by Exadon; 01-23-2009 at 11:15 AM.

the school ill be joining soon has an 'annual membership fee' of 50 dollars. to join the federation. a small cost to aquire your gi if you do not have one. the monthly fee's range from 8-15 dollars.

they are also a non-profit, so that makes a huge difference.

just gotta love the people that teach for the love of their arts.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    the school ill be joining soon has an 'annual membership fee' of 50 dollars. to join the federation. a small cost to aquire your gi if you do not have one. the monthly fee's range from 8-15 dollars.

they are also a non-profit, so that makes a huge difference.

just gotta love the people that teach for the love of their arts.

Wow! 8-15 dollars a month! I'm wondering how you guys pay to keep the lights on! :-) But I do admire a non profit school. I also admire an instructor who gives back to the community by giving his time to teach for free once or twice a week to certain groups.

the practices are held in a local gymnasium, so i believe the space is donated to the club. they have been in the community since 1926 so probably have a pretty well developed network.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.