Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tokusatsu

RIP Robert Kino****a

I never knew who created those robots, but I've seen both of them close-up in-person and the craftsmanship was excellent.

Robert Kino****a, 'Lost in Space' robot creator, dies at 100

Robert Kino****a, creator of the robot in "Lost in Space," died in December at 100.
    By Ryan Parker and David Colker

Robert Kino****a, an art director for television and movies who is best known for his creation of the "Lost in Space" robot that yelled "Danger, Will Robinson!" on the 1960s show, has died, a family friend confirmed to the Los Angeles Times.

Kino****a died Dec. 9 at an assisted living center in Torrance, said Mike Clark, a family friend. He was 100.

"Lost in Space," which ran from 1965 to 1968, is about the Robinson family's extraterrestrial adventures. A 1998 film based on the series starred William Hurt, Mimi Rogers and Gary Oldman.

The “Lost in Space” robot -- which has become a pop-culture icon -- was similar in look to a robot named Robby that Kino****a helped create for the classic 1956 sci-fi movie "Forbidden Planet." Robby showed up in several productions after that, including an episode of “Lost in Space.”

Kino****a also worked as an art director or set designer on shows including "Sea Hunt" and "Bat Masterson."

A complete obituary will follow at latimes.com/obits.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I keep forgetting to post this....

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Is this new Ultraman movie a Japanese or American production? There doesn't seem to be much info at all on it. I googled and only got "starring Will Smith"(?). God, I hope not. That trailer looks good, but if it is some Amercan acquisition of another beloved Japanese character, and starring Will Smith (or any American or European actor as Ultraman), I'll skip it.

Darth Vader vs Kamen Rider Black RX - Animated Film

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Hurricane Polymar (破裏拳ポリマー Hariken Porimā) 5/13/17

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Nice ! Watched the anime, however the costume is supposedly to be very skinlike instead of more kamen raider like.

Kamen groper

I never realized we had so many Kamen Rider posts on the Tokusatsu thread. I'm going to make an indie Kamen Rider thread.

Kamen Rider, one of Japan’s greatest heroes, arrested for groping woman’s breasts in Tokyo suburb
    Casey Baseel 3 days ago

Actor’s arrest parallels his character’s story arc, and also has elements from Cinderella.

Tokyo. March 4. 1:35 a.m.

A thirty-something woman stands at an intersection in Taishido neighborhood of the city’s peaceful Setagaya Ward, waiting for the signal to turn green so she can cross the road. Suddenly, a man grabs her from behind, groping her chest.

Luckily, Kamen Rider Duke, one of the characters from seminal tokusatsu (costumed superhero) franchise Kamen Rider, is on the scene! Surely he’ll defeat the evildoer, right?

Oh, wait. It was Kamen Rider Duke who was doing the groping.

On April 5, the Tokyo Metropolitan Police formally placed 30-year-old actor Tsunenori Aoki under arrest for indecent assault. Aoki, also a resident of Setagaya Ward, has admitted to the charges, saying ”I’ve been really busy with work, and I had too much to drink and got carried away.”

▼ Tsunenori Aoki (wearing glasses)

View image on Twitter

青木玄徳
    @tsunenori_aoki
    パタリロ!
    本日もご来場賜りました皆様
    誠に有難うございます!
    三津谷亮くん
    自分のデビュー作
    テニミュで共演以来です
    しかも歳も一緒で
    いつの間にかお互い30歳
    それでも相変わらずなみっちゃんに
    時々励まされますよ^_^
    明日も頑張るぞぉ〜!!!

5:31 AM - Mar 19, 2018
    916 people are talking about this
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    Aoki (who in addition to Kamen Rider Duke has portrayed anime characters in stage musicals such as Prince of Tennis’ Keigo Atobe and Princess Knight’s Captain Blood) had been drinking by himself at a nearby restaurant until about 1 in the morning. An examination of security camera footage showed him groping four different women within a 30-minute span after leaving the restaurant, and the woman he grabbed at the intersection suffered minor injuries to her neck and back.

In an odd parallel, Kamen Rider Duke, who initially appears in the Kamen Rider Gaim arcs of the franchise as a force of good, turns out to have a sinister, hidden darkness, eventually meeting an untimely death. While Aoki’s life is in no danger, it has been announced that he’s stepping down from a planned role in stage production Messiah, which opens in Tokyo on April 14. His scheduled appearance at the premiere of movie Yamikin Dogs 8, which also premiers on the 14th, has been cancelled as well

▼ Kamen Rider Duke

特撮HERO��仮面ライダー動画
    @kamen_ridr
    特撮HERO!『仮面ライダーデューク』
    変身シーン カッコイイと思ったらRT

10:40 PM - Apr 1, 2018
    76 people are talking about this
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    While Aoki’s actions on March 4 were far from heroic, one male passerby who saw what he was doing displayed a more gallant heart, attempting to subdue the actor. Aoki managed to shake him off and fled on foot, but not before dropping a packet of personal promotional documents he’d been carrying, including a photo of himself, which made it easy to determine the culprit.

Adding one last layer of irony, Aoki’s casting as Kamen Rider Duke is part of a broader trend in tokusatsu TV series; in recent years, producers have been stocking their shows with smooth-faced young men to appeal not just to the elementary school-age boys who make up their core audience, but also to their 30- and 40-something mothers who are also near the TV while their sons are watching. But while there are plenty of women who’d ordinarily be thrilled at the prospect of a chance encounter with Kamen Rider Duke, Aoki’s behavior means he’s definitely lost at least four potential fans.

Sources: Livedoor News via Hachima Kiko, Yahoo! Japan News/Daily
    Top image: Pakutaso
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Linking some threads: Ultraman+Godzilla+Tokusatsu

I was a huge Tokusatsu fan growing up. Still am actually so these new anime versions of Ultraman don't quite do it for me. Although I must confess that I really enjoyed the new Godzilla animes (I should review those on the forum some day).

Being Asian, the only role models on TV that were my race were Mr. Sulu, tokusatsu characters like Ultraman and of course, Kung Fu movies. Much of my family is in Hawaii so when growing up, I visited often. There was a whole expanded world of tokusatsu there because Hawaii imported a lot of Japanese TV. So I was more of a fan of Ultra-Seven and the extended Ultra family because it was cooler. But truly, it was all about Kikaider for me. There was a live-action reboot of that a few years ago, but I still have yet to see that.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ultraman | Official Trailer [HD] | Netflix

Is Ultraman still Tokusatsu when it's anime?

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

RIP Shozo Uehara

JAN 09 2020
    Shozo Uehara, writer of Ultraman and Japanese Spider-Man, passes away
    By BrianM in Television

Super Sentai fans, there is sad news coming from Japan. Legendary tokusatsu writer Shozo Uehara has passed away due to complications with liver cancer. He was 82.

Uehara is best remembered as the main writer for Ultraman and one of the original writers on Ultra Q, the series that preceded Ultraman. He was later contracted by Toei Productions and created his first Super Sentai series, Himitsu Sentai Goranger (known as Five Rangers in the West).

Shozo Uehara was born in Okinawa, Naha, an island in the far south of Japan on February 6, 1932. His family survived World War II after fleeing a Japanese occupied Taiwan in 1944. They returned home only to find it had been destroyed in air raids and drifted in the seas for two weeks before reaching the Kagoshima Prefecture. Uehara’s family would eventually return to Naha, Japan in 1946.

Uehara joined Tsuburaya Productions after graduating from Chuo University after his work was discovered by the company heads who read his writings about the war in Okinawan dramas. He would make his debut as lead writer for Ultra Q in the series’ 21st episode. From that point, he worked as lead writer for the fourth Ultraman series, The Return of Ultraman. Uehara joined Toei Productions in 1973 and created the Super Sentai series “Himitsu Sentai Goranger“, which likely served as inspiration for Saban’s Power Rangers franchise. He also led the writing team for the tokusatsu Spider-Man series (which is rumored to be featured in the second Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse film). He has also worked in several anime series including Dororon Enma-kun, Fist of the North Star, and Space Pirate Captain Harlock.

Shozo Uehara passed away January 2 and his death was made public after private services were held by his family. Uehara’s inspiration lives on in Saban’s Power Rangers franchise and Netflix’s Ultraman series.

Himitsu Sentai Goranger opening
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Continued from previous post

Tokusatsu Spider-Man opening theme
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Continued from previous post

Ultraman 1966 opening

Sources: Yahoo! Japan
    THREADS
    Tokusatsu
    Ultraman
    Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse
    Mighty Morphin Power Ranger news
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Now on YouTube

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

RIP Minoru Nakano

Tsuburaya Productions' Optical Photographer Minoru Nakano Passes Away at 82
    posted on 2021-04-06 13:30 EDT by Alex Mateo

Nakano did optical photography work on Alien Baltan in Ultraman series

Optical photographer and visual effects technician Minoru Nakano passed away on Monday from liver failure. He was 82 years old. His funeral service will be for close relatives only with his eldest son Ryū as his chief mourner.

Nakano was born in Tokyo. He worked at Tsuburaya Productions for nearly 30 years, and he was a disciple of the company's founder Eiji Tsuburaya.

He was known for his optical photography work on Alien Baltan in the original Ultraman series. He worked on Tsuburaya Productions' early series including Ultra Q, Monster Booska, Ultra Seven, and Mighty Jack.

Image Source: Asahi Shimbun

Sources: Yomiuri Shimbun, Yahoo! News via Yoink's Twitter account
    Baltan

Threads
    Tokusatsu
    Ultraman
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips